Plugging cable box etc into Tv... or into AVR? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-03-2017, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Plugging cable box etc into Tv... or into AVR?

I just recently upgraded my whole home theater system. Nice new Denon AVR, nice new 4K upscaling Sony smart tv. I'm utilizing as external sources a cable box and a 2nd gen Apple TV for the moment. So my questions:

A) For best possible video quality, should I be plugging my sources directly into the TV? Or does it not matter?

B) For best possible audio quality, should I be plugging those sources directly into the AVR? Or does it not matter?

Sony X850D 65", Denon X3300W, Def.Tech ProCinema 60, Alexa http/ip voice control
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-04-2017, 02:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1942
Depends on the video processing quality and passthrough capabilities of your AVR.

You should check the AVR forum related to your Denon and read the feedback and see if there are any issues. The general rule is a direct connection is always the best with anthing, but with a good quality AVR the pros and cons vary widely.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...ps-processors/

Audio is easier. AVR will easily outclass anything the television can do. Audio decoding is the primary role of a receiver, on a television it's secondary even with the best engineering.

Last edited by VisionOn; 02-04-2017 at 02:33 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-04-2017, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Depends on the video processing quality and passthrough capabilities of your AVR.

You should check the AVR forum related to your Denon and read the feedback and see if there are any issues. The general rule is a direct connection is always the best with anthing, but with a good quality AVR the pros and cons vary widely.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...ps-processors/

Audio is easier. AVR will easily outclass anything the television can do. Audio decoding is the primary role of a receiver, on a television it's secondary even with the best engineering.
Another concern has come up: when I go to the android apps on the tv, the AVR audio automatically switches to TV optical. That's good.... what's not good is that when I switch back to the 'TV' on the Sony remote, the AVR does not automatically switch back to the cable box.

So I will have to explore plugging the cable box into the tv. Not this weekend because I don't want to mess with things just prior to the big game. But next weekend I'll be playing with cables again lol

Sony X850D 65", Denon X3300W, Def.Tech ProCinema 60, Alexa http/ip voice control

post #4 of 7 Old 02-04-2017, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 911
Try it both ways. Which one looks better? That's the correct one.

🔥🔥🔥 Sent from my Samsung Note 7 Using Ove Glove™ 🔥🔥🔥
post #5 of 7 Old 02-05-2017, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote-1 View Post
Another concern has come up: when I go to the android apps on the tv, the AVR audio automatically switches to TV optical. That's good.... what's not good is that when I switch back to the 'TV' on the Sony remote, the AVR does not automatically switch back to the cable box.

So I will have to explore plugging the cable box into the tv. Not this weekend because I don't want to mess with things just prior to the big game. But next weekend I'll be playing with cables again lol
If your cable box is typical and you are using HDMI then it will have no HDMI CEC and no way to tell the AVR to switch over. You will likely gain nothing from the video processing in the AVR, so you may as well split the audio to the AVR and HDMI video output to the TV and then manually switch to the cable input on the Denon when required.

Configuring the Denon to switch on command in response to the audio input/output of the TV will be possible. Alternatively just buy a universal remote and have that change all the inputs.

You need to be more specific listing all the components you are using and enquire in the threads about those products. It's a chain no matter how things are connected and each component will need to be tweaked to get everything working in harmony.

post #6 of 7 Old 02-08-2017, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

The question has been answered via experimentation. Blackhawks vs Wild 2nite on NBCSN. Cable box direct into TV. Even though the Denon remote app says it's getting 5 channels of audio from the tv, the audio is flat and mostly in the front speakers.

Move the cable box feed to the Denon, and the audio springs to life.

Picture quality is identical in both cases.

So obviously, the cable box will stay plugged into the Denon. I'll just have to figure out the other associated switching logistics. Odds are those will occur via Alexa, as both the Denon and Sony respond to network control.

post #7 of 7 Old Today, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
If your cable box is typical and you are using HDMI then it will have no HDMI CEC and no way to tell the AVR to switch over. You will likely gain nothing from the video processing in the AVR, so you may as well split the audio to the AVR and HDMI video output to the TV and then manually switch to the cable input on the Denon when required.

Configuring the Denon to switch on command in response to the audio input/output of the TV will be possible. Alternatively just buy a universal remote and have that change all the inputs.

You need to be more specific listing all the components you are using and enquire in the threads about those products. It's a chain no matter how things are connected and each component will need to be tweaked to get everything working in harmony.
I fixed the switching issue. The chain is

Cable box >> Denon AVR >> Sony Bravia HDMI ARC

and now when I switch back from android to the cable box on the tv, the Denon follows correctly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders