Closed Thread

post #1 of 688 Old 10-06-2003, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Whoa?

Yes, it does work with the equipment I have.

http://www.ptie.org/bsd/

What does it do?
Using DVHSCap you can record mpeg2ts stream right off the tuner, no DVHS deck necessary.

The only setback is you have to purchase Panasonic MotionDV Studio 4.6 Japanese edition (16800 Yen MSRP).
Even though you only need a few driver files off the CD, which are (strangely) don't even appear to be used by the software itself!?

Using instructions above, Murdoc MP player from
http://www.mycgiserver.com/~itsadirect/ you can even tune in "live" to your HDTV broadcast on your PC (P4+ recommended).

Oh well.
This is awesome news :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 688 Old 10-06-2003, 07:21 AM

Don't HDTV ATSC tuner cards like the HiPix and MyHD cards already allow you to do this... for several years now?
post #3 of 688 Old 10-06-2003, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by merc
Don't HDTV ATSC tuner cards like the HiPix and MyHD cards already allow you to do this... for several years now?
Yes but those cards cost $200+ and this does not. Plus the only way to watch them is to hook your computer output to your TV, which is fine but this does not.

This enables anyone with an integrated HDTV Tuner with firewire out to record HDTV without purchasing extra hardware.

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
Engadget HD
post #4 of 688 Old 10-06-2003, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

this is nice if it allows direct connection of hd firewire tuner(like a samsung 165) to pc; Becuase there aren't hd tuner drivers yet for xp, doing that has not been possible as far as i know.

Tho one can record with a 169time modded dtc-100 to pc, but that is becuase it appears as a dvhs to xp

Pardon my spelling, the checker hangs my system.
post #5 of 688 Old 10-06-2003, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

The big issue is paying for MotionDV studio. One can probably buy an HDTV card for that amount.
post #6 of 688 Old 10-06-2003, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Is it possible to get the drivers without the software?

Are the driver licensed with the rest of the software?

Maybe if the drivers are licensed separately, someone can find the drivers available elsewhere that are not bundled.

Ben
Engadget HD
post #7 of 688 Old 10-06-2003, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by leszek1
The big issue is paying for MotionDV studio. One can probably buy an HDTV card for that amount.
16,800.00 Japan Yen = 151.455 USD

Ben
Engadget HD
post #8 of 688 Old 10-06-2003, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

And that's pretty much the price of the Fusion HDTV card.
post #9 of 688 Old 10-06-2003, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

some updates for those that are confused.

bdraw here seems to understand the concept clearly:

this allows you to record/watch live whatever HDTV contents your tuner is tuned into.
The only hardware investment is a firewire card (which you probably have already). The software investment is MotionDV studio, which will NOT be used for this - only a few driver files on the CDROM.

tonyb100 says:
> this is nice if it allows direct connection of hd firewire tuner(like a samsung 165) to pc; Becuase there aren't hd tuner drivers yet for xp doing that has not been possible as far as i know.
Yes, thats what this does.
Those drivers included with motionDV are actually AV/C Target drivers for tuner, DVHS tape, among other things. I am not familiar with the purpose MotionDV uses them for, since the product does not specifically advertise being able to process any sort of (H)DTV inputs, and only deals with DV.

bdraw writes:
> Maybe if the drivers are licensed separately, someone can find the drivers available elsewhere that are not bundled.
Drivers are for "panasonic AV/C devices". First time I've ever seen AV/C Tuner, etc driver is with this kit.

leszek1 writes:
> The big issue is paying for MotionDV studio. One can probably buy an HDTV card for that amount.
Thing is, this post wasn't targeted at people with HIPix or whatever cards.
It was targeted at those who were in the "FireBus update thread", waiting for this "vaporware" to surface up, while this solution allows you to do HDTV recording "right now", with minimal investment. And price for "FireBus" software is still unknown. Just in case it's higher than $150, this seems to be a win :)
post #10 of 688 Old 10-06-2003, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if this would work with the upcoming Dish 921? It would be nice if it would allow archiving HDTV to pc, without waiting for Dish to enable recording to DVHS.

If anyone has MotionDV Studio 4.6 for sale or trade, please PM me.

Joe
post #11 of 688 Old 10-06-2003, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Correction about MotionDV:
I browsed around the book that came with MotionDV studio, and they do advertise being able to get media "from Hi-Vision sources" (that's the name for HDTV around here). So yeah, other than a rather "unsupported" way of installing the drivers (without installing the actual software), this product performs as described.

LiOn, Morpheus, you listening? :)
MotionDV 4.6 should be pretty easy to find around HK, - ny etc.
post #12 of 688 Old 10-06-2003, 07:03 PM

Panasonic's Japanese website has what appears to be MotionDV Studio 4.6 software for WindowsXP. However since I can't read Japanese, I'm not sure which one to download and try.
post #13 of 688 Old 10-06-2003, 07:04 PM

Panasonic's Japanese has what appears to be MotionDV Studio 4.6 software for WindowsXP. However since I can't read Japanese, I'm not sure which one to download and try.
post #14 of 688 Old 10-06-2003, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there a way to watch the captured video on your computer or do you have to play it back through the firewire to the TV?

What software would you use to watch or to playback to the TV?

Ben
Engadget HD
post #15 of 688 Old 10-06-2003, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jamoka
I wonder if this would work with the upcoming Dish 921? It would be nice if it would allow archiving HDTV to pc, without waiting for Dish to enable recording to DVHS.

If anyone has MotionDV Studio 4.6 for sale or trade, please PM me.

Joe
that would require that the 921 ports have a signal/be active would not it.

post #16 of 688 Old 10-06-2003, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bdraw
1. Is there a way to watch the captured video on your computer or do you have to play it back through the firewire to the TV?

2. What software would you use to watch or to playback to the TV?
1. Don't have to send back anything to the TV,
>> Using instructions above, Murdoc MP player from
>> http://www.mycgiserver.com/~itsadirect/ you can even tune in "live" to >> your HDTV broadcast on your PC (P4+ recommended).
I don't think there is a way to retransmit the stream back to the TV.
This isn't really a concern for me anyway, I was mostly interested in recording the material while I am not at home (that would be most of the time).

2. Duno, you can play it back on PC and send it to TV through ATI's component out adapter or DVI cable, or something.
post #17 of 688 Old 10-06-2003, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi timecop,

Thanks for the GREAT news! Your timing is PERFECT, as always! Because we just tried a eMac on a Panasonic BSD tuner and the pair works! Recording to the eMac works but play back to the tuner don't work, though we don't really need that function. Now we can forget it altogether!

SO we're back to WinXP once and for all. Besides recording from BSD tuner to WinXP, will this combo also playback TS to tuner, like a DVHS?

Btw, how to make the Murdoc MP player work? I registered all the .ax filters
with the package (the tsreader.ax won't register though) and open a TS file
in the player but it complains about something then nothing happen! Or it
must need those files from the Panny MotionDV Studio software first?

Thanks in advance.

regards,

Li On

PS: I guess it won't work with Wowow copy 1 source, right?

PPS: BSD is rumored to be ALL (besides NHK channels) "copy once" like
current Wowow on next year April, if so then any PC recording will be
impossible, right?

PPPS: http://store.yahoo.co.jp/murauchi/4984824557222.html around $100 for the MotionDV software.
post #18 of 688 Old 10-07-2003, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Li On
Hi timecop,

1. Thanks for the GREAT news! Your timing is PERFECT, as always! Because we just tried a eMac on a Panasonic BSD tuner and the pair works!
SO we're back to WinXP once and for all. Besides recording from BSD tuner to WinXP, will this combo also playback TS to tuner, like a DVHS?

2. Btw, how to make the Murdoc MP player work? I registered all the .ax filters with the package (the tsreader.ax won't register though) and open a TS file in the player but it complains about something then nothing happen! Or it must need those files from the Panny MotionDV Studio software first?

3. PS: I guess it won't work with Wowow copy 1 source, right?

4. PPS: BSD is rumored to be ALL (besides NHK channels) "copy once" like
current Wowow on next year April, if so then any PC recording will be
impossible, right?
1. Playback? No idea. Not my concern, though I guess you can feed the murdocMP output through DVI back into your HDTV.

2. You edit murdocmp.ini (or whatever is the ini file in that dir) and uncomment the MPEG2 decoder line that you want to use (PowerDVD or WinDVD). Then it works fine ~ You don't need to register tsreader.ax, it calls that stuff internally.

3. I was recording some Excite match looking crap off WOWOW yesterday, though when I tried to record some content in HV it didnt work. No idea if it was copy-once or whatnot.

4. bad news, though they've been saying that for a while, haha.
post #19 of 688 Old 10-07-2003, 01:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi timecop,

I want to playback the TS to the tuner for picture/sound output because currently the tuner hardware decode still gives the BEST quality IF the projector displays a 1080i image properly, such as MOST CRT projector/TV, and many digital projectors. I understand there are also MANY digital projectors give a BAD picture when scaling/downconvert 1080i to their native panel, especially via a component video feed. In that case a HTPC internal picture decode/scaling will give a better result.

Besides PC still can't handle all AAC mode such as the AAC filter with the Murdoc MP player won't work with AAC5.1.

Also using the tuner decode we can be sure there will be NO video/audio stutter whatsoever and a powerful PC is not needed.

I find MANY reasons to use the tuner as a TS decoder.

Please kind enough to do a test to see if playback TS to tuner works or not.

We tried playback TS on the Mac to a Panasonic tuner (200 or 250 I forget), the tuner detect the ilink input, give a blank (black) picture and after awhile give a ilink error message. Recording from tuner to Mac works fine. And the Mac plays the TS file to a DVHS fine.

About the Murdoc MP player, my concern is how it opens a TS file? Using those .ax filters that comes with the package? Should I register those .ax filter (besides the tsreader.ax)? Since I have many other Demux filters on the system, if the MP player just use DirectShow to auto render a TS file, then anything may happen! How can I select which Demux filter to use (besides PowerDVD/WinDVD video decode filter) in the murdocmp.ini?

Thanks in advance.

regards,

Li On
post #20 of 688 Old 10-07-2003, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

it plays back ts files for me, and recognizes my tuner but will not show the picture even wheni select live, tho this could be I suppose because i have a 169time dtc-100 that spoofs itsself as a dvhs machine.

post #21 of 688 Old 10-07-2003, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Everyone,
It does't brother me that Firebus is not out yet. I have been reocrding Hd now for 9 months. I have six tape smard for drifferent days of the week. When I come home each night I change the tape. When there nothing on I put a recorded tape in. For example tonight I watch Nave NCSI, Vages, Amy. Three good shows and three hours of HD. More then enough tv in one night. Tomarrow it its Alias at 8:00 West Wing and then Law and Order. I have the Promise module programs set to everMon, everTues ETC.. So I don't have to worry with reporgraming the Promise Module every week.

Bruce.in.Triangle NC
Firewire is alive and kicking!
post #22 of 688 Old 10-07-2003, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Embry
Hi Everyone,
It does't bother me that Firebus is not out yet. I have been reocrding Hd now for 9 months. I have six tape smard for drifferent days of the week. When I come home each night I change the tape. When there nothing on I put a recorded tape in.
Uh, duh?
The whole reason I *don't* want to mess with *tapes* is because the final destination for the material I record is for PC use.
Which means, the less time it requires to go from medium A (satellite broadcast) to medium B (stored file on PC), the better it is.

Why would I want to record a 2 hour show to DVHS, then take *another* 2 hours just to "copy" it to PC, instead of just recording those 2 hours directly to the PC? And yes, I am using those exactly same tuner reservation functions to schedule a recording for whatever stuff I want recorded. Except instead of dealing with (expensive | slow | whatever) tapes, things are recorded directly to the PC.
post #23 of 688 Old 10-08-2003, 08:23 AM

Bruce,
I'm guessing you meant ED instead of Alias, right? :)

The problem tonight is three HDTV shows on simultaneously.
post #24 of 688 Old 10-08-2003, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree. I like to edit out the commercials before I watch shows. Plus I like to be able to share with friends when they miss a show.
Not to mention the costs of a DVHS deck that only has one purpose. The costs of tapes etc.
To me it doesn't matter whether it is a tape or a round disk. I prefer my computer because I feel I have more options.

I am able to capture video. But I am unable to watch it. I finally installed Elecard mpeg2 player that I found here.

http://www.elecard.com/products/mpeg2player.shtml

It plays other mpeg files that I have but when I try to play a file captured with this process I get a image that is not watchable with lots of artifacts and dropped frames. The player timecop suggested doesn't work at all for me. I just get an error message that is gibberish.

Ben
Engadget HD
post #25 of 688 Old 10-08-2003, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

for murdocplayer you'd have to have WInDVD of PowerDVD installed
then edit murdocmp.ini and uncomment either of the video decoders line.

Also I heard windvd will play those streams too if you rename them to .trp
or something.
post #26 of 688 Old 10-08-2003, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok I got it working with the elecard player. It works good too.

My problem was I was trying to capture using the integrated tuner in my ws55711 via QAM cable.

I hooked up my antenna and was able to capture with no problem via OTA

Ben
Engadget HD
post #27 of 688 Old 10-08-2003, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been searching for the AV/C Tuner driver all over the place. The Panasonic/Matsushita web sites have updates for various products, but nothing I've found has the meituner.sys driver.

Samsung is also pretty worthless when it comes to trying to find a AV/C Tuner driver.

It makes one wonder why the AV/C interface was ever designed if you can't find a driver to support it...
post #28 of 688 Old 10-08-2003, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by merc
Bruce,
I'm guessing you meant ED instead of Alias, right? :)

The problem tonight is three HDTV shows on simultaneously.
No I ment Alias. Ed is not entertaining to me. I record Alias on Sunday nights There are three show that I like on Wed night, they are West Wing, Law and Order, and Brotherhood of Poland NH. The Brotherhood gets recorded for later viewing.

Guys my main pont is while you guys are waiting for the technology, I'm using what is currently available. When the Firebus software becomes available, then the use of DVHS will drop off. I will still arkive some movies etc to DVHS.

Bruce.in.Triangle NC
Firewire is alive and kicking!
post #29 of 688 Old 10-09-2003, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Embry
Guys my main pont is while you guys are waiting for the technology, I'm using what is currently available. When the Firebus software becomes available, then the use of DVHS will drop off. I will still arkive some movies etc to DVHS.
Who is waiting?
I am archiving some shows, directly to my PC already, using the methods outlined in the top post. I *was* going to wait for FireBus, but these dudes are taking their sweet time with it.

I had a temporary solution for Linux working using ddr1394, but that did not record HD, only SD contents. So that got junked and replaced with this.
post #30 of 688 Old 10-09-2003, 02:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi timecop,

Please test if your setup can playback TS file to tuner for picture/audio decode. We already have the Mac working for recording from the tuner.

If so I'll ask a friend to buy the MotionDV for me when he go to Japan this weekend to see the High End Audio Show.

Thanks in advance.

regards,

Li On
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page