Summary and Updates on Comcast HD DVR Deployment -- All Areas - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 885 Old 03-24-2004, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hands down, Tivo kicks the holy heck out of the Comcast box for GUI. Now, here's the big issue for me-Tivo can't do HDTV. They might have the HDirevTivo sometime this year (quarter even,) but at $1000, that's a mighty big pill to swallow. And it KILLS me to watch my big TV display crappy compressed signal.

It's a complete rock and hard place. Boiled down, it's comes to which one is more important: Picture/Sound Quality, or Good PVR software?

I'm still undecided...the software is that bad.

I'm not sure I answered your question, since I don't really understand it. Do you want to record every night for a week, then stop? Sort of a Mini-Series setup? I'd say that would be 7 individual recordings in Comcast, 1 Season Pass configured the right way in Tivo (Record 7, KUID)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 885 Old 03-24-2004, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Sounds like the AT&T Broadband Scheduling, PR, and CSR groups have taken full advantage of the Peter Principle to jump right to the top at Comcast. The DVR introduction seems to be getting the same premature billing as AT&T HD cable did, at least here in the Chicago area.

Regarding the sucky Motorola user interface -- at least there's a ray of hope for the future. I understand that part of the whole OpenCable thing is a plan to enable competition in the market, rather than allowing Motorola and SA to monopolize the STB's and continue foisting their poor designs upon us.

By the way -- am I the only one who misses the old TV Guide I used to have on my analog cable box 5 years ago, that showed ~3 hours of scheduling at a time in full screen, rather than 1/2 hour only on 25% of the screen with the other 75% dedicated to stupid ads and a "click here for messages" box that never displays any important messages? It also let you scroll back in time (which was nice if you weren't sure if you missed a show), rather than erasing the schedule for each half hour at minute 30. Seems to me you could also look ahead at least a full 7 days rather than 5 or so.

One step forward, two steps back.

Y = 0.30R + 0.59G + 0.11B
post #363 of 885 Old 03-24-2004, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally posted by jwedding
I'm not sure I answered your question, since I don't really understand it. Do you want to record every night for a week, then stop? Sort of a Mini-Series setup? I'd say that would be 7 individual recordings in Comcast, 1 Season Pass configured the right way in Tivo (Record 7, KUID)
No, what I do is every Sunday mark up my newpaper TV guide. Then I program my Replays and use TitanTV to program MyHD . For the whole next week. Haven't timed it but maybe about 5 minutes each. How would that compare to programming a 6208?
post #364 of 885 Old 03-24-2004, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by peebee
Regarding the sucky Motorola user interface -- at least there's a ray of hope for the future. I understand that part of the whole OpenCable thing is a plan to enable competition in the market, rather than allowing Motorola and SA to monopolize the STB's and continue foisting their poor designs upon us.
Motorolla doesn't make the GUI on the boxes. All they have is the hardware and the underlying firmware that allows the software to intereact with the hardware features. In most areas, Gemstar/TVGuide are the ones who make the actual interface that you see. Think of it like a computer: Intel makes the chipset and processor while Microsoft makes the software that runs on top of it. You are correct that there is (or will be) competition for the STB interface. In fact, I believe Comcast is trying out a interface made my Microsoft in a few select areas. However Comcast also just signed a deal with Gemstar to provide the interface for their STB's so I wouldn't plan on having a new provider any time soon.
post #365 of 885 Old 03-24-2004, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Who provides the program list for the ATI AIW cards? And aren't there other online guides available?

Seems like it's be easy enough for someone to design a competing box that grabbed program information off the internet from somewhere else. . . .

No doubt it's like a computer. Except that it's even more monopolistic right now than Wintel. And it should be worlds easier to write a better interface for a stupid cable box than it is to write an OS.

post #366 of 885 Old 03-24-2004, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by peebee
Who provides the program list for the ATI AIW cards? And aren't there other online guides available? Seems like it's be easy enough for someone to design a competing box that grabbed program information off the internet from somewhere else. . . .
No doubt it's like a computer. Except that it's even more monopolistic right now than Wintel. And it should be worlds easier to write a better interface for a stupid cable box than it is to write an OS.
I'm not sure who does the interface for ATI but I would imagine it would be TitanTV or someone like that. In regards to the current competiion, I think we'll see an increase number of providers which will hopefully drive each company to make the best interface possible. Tivo is obviously the standard right now and we can only hope that others will follow suit.

By the way, the 62xx box does have a somewhat improved interface over the current one -- albeit couldn't really get any worse. There are some screenshots here: <http://www.gemstartvguide.com/pressroom/screenshots.asp> Look under the TV Guide Interactive and TV Guide On Screen headings for the screenshots. It won't necessarily look exactly like this but close to.
post #367 of 885 Old 03-24-2004, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Funny, the Genstar link gave me the answer to my AIW question -- Guide Plus provides the AIW program information!

Thanks.

post #368 of 885 Old 03-24-2004, 02:04 PM

Mine is close to that...it's not the screens that are bad, it's the underlying stupidity of the software that makes me nuts.

Conflict resolution, repeating options, etc all act as if they had been put together by a five year old. Come on, just look at how a damn Tivo works, and put that in your software. I'm officially pissed off by how poor this product is. :P
post #369 of 885 Old 03-24-2004, 02:04 PM

Mine is close to that...it's not the screens that are bad, it's the underlying stupidity of the software that makes me nuts.

Conflict resolution, repeating options, etc all act as if they had been put together by a five year old. Come on, just look at how a damn Tivo works, and put that in your software. I'm officially pissed off by how poor this product is. :P
post #370 of 885 Old 03-24-2004, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There are some features on the Tivo which Tivo considers its intellectual property and it will bring litigation against any company which duplicates those features.

I can't remember off-hand which features ... anybody know?
post #371 of 885 Old 03-24-2004, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SonomaSearcher
There are some features on the Tivo which Tivo considers its intellectual property and it will bring litigation against any company which duplicates those features.

I can't remember off-hand which features ... anybody know?
I think the big this is the way they do their 'Season Pass'. They look at a number of different things such as title, description, channel, and time to determine if a show should be recorded or not. I know it sounds weird that they would have a patent on something that's public knowledge but...
post #372 of 885 Old 03-24-2004, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fender4645
I know it sounds weird that they would have a patent on something that's public knowledge but...
I agree. You cannot patent something that's "obvious" -- and that sounds pretty obvious to me. The idea of a DVR would seem to be much more patentable than the season pass concept, that was truely something new.

post #373 of 885 Old 03-24-2004, 02:39 PM

I understand that Tivo has some IP involved, I just can't fathom why Comcast et al can't look at it and say, "Gee, that sure is a good idea to not cancel a repeating recording even just cause the user overrode it this week." There's a fine line between theft and imitation (*cough* Windows* cough*) but Comcast isn't even looking at the best ideas. It's like Ford looking to Yugo for inspiration instead of Mercedes.
post #374 of 885 Old 03-24-2004, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If I recall what Tivo considers "theirs", it is the thumbs up - down system.
post #375 of 885 Old 03-24-2004, 03:04 PM

I have been using the 6208 on a Comcast system for about a year now. I am a beta tester. I can assure you that Comcast and their software provider are working on making the software interface more intuitive and more functional. Keep in mind that the people at Comcast are all aware of the different software interfaces of each DVR on the market. I agree that ReplayTV and TiVo have some definite advantages, but I DO like timeshifting HD content.
post #376 of 885 Old 03-24-2004, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by grittree
I take it that there is no option when scheduling weekly Scrubs to make it non-guaranteed?

I forget how Tivo managed that, but with Replay units you also can not substitute a diff show unless you make the series non-guar.

Which brings up the question of how easy is it to set up a 6208 once a week for the next seven days. Replay does this clean and quick; Tivo was somewhat harder, but not too bad.

Can you give me a comparison? Trying to decide if I want to go with Comcast DVR (for +$25/mo) when it finally get here.
I have no experience with the Comcast/Motorola DVR STB. But I can tell you that, with TiVo Season Pass, you could either set the priority for Scrubs lower than your other choice, or, if you only want to cancel the recording of one showing of Scrubs, you can go into the To Do List and cancel that single recording. You will be asked to confirm whether you want to cancel the Season Pass or just that one showing.

We have two DirecTiVo's and we are expecting a new HD TiVo and a new grandson in early April. With TiVo, we have never found any situation of exception handling that could not be handled readily in a user-friendly manner.

My wife has over 20 Season Passes and she has fine tuned them, along with the number of showings of each to save, such that she rarely has to even revisit those Season Passes. And she is not a serious computer user (just email and limited web browsing). So, my point is that the TiVo user interface is friendly enough for a non-computer user to master with ease. Actually, the reason we got the first TiVo was because she refused to use a poorly-designed user interface on a new VCR after her old standby VCR died.

I can't imagine giving up the flexibility and control we have with our DirecTV DVR with TiVo units. Our new HD TiVo "baby" will fit right into the family, most likely without even opening the user manual. Of course, the new grandson doesn't even come with a user manual. We are excited about both new arrivals!

As always, YMMV.

Dave
post #377 of 885 Old 03-24-2004, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Comcast has a long way to go with their interfaces. As long as they choose to show cheesy ads that take up half the screen real estate, the menus will remain cramped and difficult to use. The graphics are fairly uninteresting and remind me of an old Commodore computer. The feature I do like on the 6208 is the show search feature, which like Tivo, allows you to enter partial words and bring up a list of matching shows.

But heck, the box works and it records HD flawlessly. I have a ReplayTV that records most of the sports and SD stuff I watch and have basically dedicated the 6208 to HD.
post #378 of 885 Old 03-25-2004, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have only used the basic Tivo box for a short time when my previous roommate had one a year ago. I have had the 6208 for 2 days and I find that the interface works for me (so far). I haven't tried to do a season pass or anything but under the info window I can choose between all the alternate times for that program name (not episode specific).

$1000 (Tivo HD)/$5 (Monthly Comcast DVR cost) = 200 200/12 = 16.6. 16.6 years is the ROI for a Tivo vs. the Comcast DVR. I am willing to wait several months to see if they fix the interface :) Isn't there some monthly charge to connect to Tivo as well?

What do I want before they fix the interface? A dual or quad tuner box so I can watch one live program and record a separate one.

Laters,
Jeff

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...
My HT Construction Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
My 2.35:1 Discussion Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
XBL = eqshadimar
post #379 of 885 Old 03-25-2004, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eq_shadimar
I have only used the basic Tivo box for a short time when my previous roommate had one a year ago. I have had the 6208 for 2 days and I find that the interface works for me (so far). I haven't tried to do a season pass or anything but under the info window I can choose between all the alternate times for that program name (not episode specific).

$1000 (Tivo HD)/$5 (Monthly Comcast DVR cost) = 200 200/12 = 16.6. 16.6 years is the ROI for a Tivo vs. the Comcast DVR. I am willing to wait several months to see if they fix the interface :) Isn't there some monthly charge to connect to Tivo as well?

What do I want before they fix the interface? A dual or quad tuner box so I can watch one live program and record a separate one.

Laters,
Jeff
Jeff,

Hang in there, the 6408's (dual-tuner 80GB HD) or 6412 (dual-tuner, 120 GB HD) should start rolling out by the end of the summer.

ENJOY!

David
post #380 of 885 Old 03-25-2004, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I've never had Tivo. I just wish I had the opportunity to see what the 6208 user interface is. Baltimore County in Maryland doesn't have the 6208, but several others do. Some have the SD Scientific Atlanta box. However, others have the 6208. But not for us. The latest news for us is the summer. Oh well, no new HD channels, no HD-PVR, $165 each month...very frustrating.

Rich N.
post #381 of 885 Old 03-25-2004, 03:57 PM

Having used all 4 types of PVR/DVR, I rank in the following order:
1st) Replay
2nd) Tivo
Close 3rd) S/A SARA DHCT-8000
8th) Comcast/TV Guide 6208

I move around a lot....
These opinions are mine and mine alone. Not my wifes' although she may have a rebuttal, let her post!
post #382 of 885 Old 03-25-2004, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by faceoff
Jeff,

Hang in there, the 6408's (dual-tuner 80GB HD) or 6412 (dual-tuner, 120 GB HD) should start rolling out by the end of the summer.

ENJOY!

David
October at the earliest for the 6412 is what I've heard.
post #383 of 885 Old 03-25-2004, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

80 gig is not big enough. 250 gig or so would give a lot more room for HD.
post #384 of 885 Old 03-25-2004, 05:02 PM

|JohnFR writes: 80 gig is not big enough. 250 gig or so would give a lot more room for HD. |

No kidding. 80 gig HD give 7 - 10 hours of HD recording? So what do I do the REST of the night? If I plug a 1394 rive in to my 6208, will it be recognized and used, or is there a menu that I need to tell the box it has a second HD?
post #385 of 885 Old 03-25-2004, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnFR
80 gig is not big enough. 250 gig or so would give a lot more room for HD.
80 is what there gonna give you for the $5/mth...there will be no argument here that its not enough, but there plan that we've heard is to allow the firewire interface to be used to add additional external drives on your own. That will make me happy when it works (and when they release the boxes out here).

The next step is rumored to be the 6412...with a whopping 120gb :) but the real benefit will be its dual tuners

of course one of our ancient Ultra 5's died at work (which had been running non stop for years). Hard Drive failure...The one we pulled out today was 4Gb, maybe I can use that to bump up a pvr
post #386 of 885 Old 03-25-2004, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Deskjockey,

Read the other threads that answer your question. No HDD 1394 support now, maybe coming.

There are no cable DVR's that have 250 GB.
post #387 of 885 Old 03-25-2004, 05:07 PM
dwk

Quote:
Originally posted by deskjockey
Having used all 4 types of PVR/DVR, I rank in the following order:
1st) Replay
2nd) Tivo
Close 3rd) S/A SARA DHCT-8000
8th) Comcast/TV Guide 6208

I move around a lot....
These opinions are mine and mine alone. Not my wifes' although she may have a rebuttal, let her post!
As usual Motorola's (Comcast) 6208 comes in LAST. No wonder they went from the top of the heap to the bottom. Wouldnt you think any of the Motorola engineers have owned TIVO's or at least VCR's?
Give me a break!

Motorola engineers, what gives???
post #388 of 885 Old 03-25-2004, 05:08 PM

Hi SonomaSearcher, I have read some postings. Hope I didn't miss too many. One thread I did see was that 1394 was to be active (per FCC mandate) by 4/1. I was interested in adding an extrnal drive to compliment the 6208 I have now. Haven't tried it yet, but maybe after the 4/1 date to see what happens...
post #389 of 885 Old 03-25-2004, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Read the thread re Comcast 620x and firewire, it's at the top of the forum. Also the thread re Comcast 6200 and firewire to DVHS. They are all over the place.

The firewire works to DVHS, but is buggy. Does not work for a HDD. Firmware update is on its way-- what it fixes remains to be seen.
post #390 of 885 Old 03-25-2004, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dwk,

Do you have to post an identical post in 3 different threads?
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page