Summary and Updates on Comcast HD DVR Deployment -- All Areas - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 885 Old 04-16-2004, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Garrett Adams
Come on Comcast. Haven't you ever heard of the Western migration. Look up Horace Greeley. :D
THe 6208 won't be offered in Sacramento/Stockton, and probably Bay Area. There may be some scattering that are eventually released, but the local office is waiting for the 6408 or 6412... probably later this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 885 Old 04-16-2004, 09:28 AM

The 6208 is now officially available on Comcast in Pittsburgh, PA.

I picked mine up last night (yes, they do allow self-install!)

The lady I got it from said that I was the first person that she had given the box to other than Comcast employees.
post #453 of 885 Old 04-16-2004, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scott12v
The 6208 is now officially available on Comcast in Pittsburgh, PA.

I picked mine up last night (yes, they do allow self-install!)

The lady I got it from said that I was the first person that she had given the box to other than Comcast employees.
This was confirmed in a Pittsburgh online newspaper today courtesy of my Google NewsAlerts:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_189619.html
post #454 of 885 Old 04-16-2004, 10:16 AM

Motorola got slammed pretty good today(or maybe it was yesterdays edition) in the WSJ for their inability to roll out their DVR, and
a single tuner version at that.
post #455 of 885 Old 04-16-2004, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nightowl
THe 6208 won't be offered in Sacramento/Stockton, and probably Bay Area. There may be some scattering that are eventually released, but the local office is waiting for the 6408 or 6412... probably later this year.
The patience of many Comcast HD customers is going to run short out here if they don't provide any DVR option to the customers until 4Q04 (or later). Even Voom should have a really nice solution before than. Hmmm....hate to think about it but the defections may grow
post #456 of 885 Old 04-16-2004, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by odye
Motorola got slammed pretty good today(or maybe it was yesterdays edition) in the WSJ for their inability to roll out their DVR, and
a single tuner version at that.
Yup I heard that on the news yesterday. They were saying how SA and D* and E* have had DVR solutions for couple of years now while Motorola keeps delaying.
post #457 of 885 Old 04-16-2004, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone own their dvr ? Does Comcast give you the option to buy it ?

Has anyone opened one of these boxes up to add disk space ?

post #458 of 885 Old 04-16-2004, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dozens
Does anyone own their dvr ? Does Comcast give you the option to buy it ?

Has anyone opened one of these boxes up to add disk space ?
No you can not buy it...and the legalize says you are in deep kimshee if you open it or try and modify it.

That being said, I havent heard of anybody trying very hard (or succeeding). The option they say they will provide is to enable you to add additional expansion using the firewire port and attaching external Hard drives. That would make me happy (assuming they get the firewire to work properly in forthcoming firmware updates...and assuming they roll it out in my area)

steve
post #459 of 885 Old 04-16-2004, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by davisdog
No you can not buy it...and the legalize says you are in deep kimshee if you open it or try and modify it.

That being said, I havent heard of anybody trying very hard (or succeeding). The option they say they will provide is to enable you to add additional expansion using the firewire port and attaching external Hard drives. That would make me happy (assuming they get the firewire to work properly in forthcoming firmware updates...and assuming they roll it out in my area)

steve
I believe we have the right to own our equipment and have comcast support it. I guess the question is where can we buy a 6208 ? Which leads to the next question, if you own a 6208 are there any monthly charges ?

post #460 of 885 Old 04-16-2004, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
if you own a 6208 are there any monthly charges ?
Shouldn't be, How can anyone charge you a monthly rental fee for something "you" own. Not even Comcast have the Brass one to try to pull that one off :p
Now a one time setup fee, say 45 bucks. I can see them trying to pull that one off

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
post #461 of 885 Old 04-16-2004, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jones07
Shouldn't be, How can anyone charge you a monthly rental fee for something "you" own. Not even Comcast have the Brass one to try to pull that one off :p
Now a one time setup fee, say 45 bucks. I can see them trying to pull that one off
There is a fee for the DVR functionallity (just like Tivo etc..)...I think it is an additional $4.95 out here (on top of the $5 for HD box rental)..that DVR fee would be regardless of whether you own the box (although I havent seen anything to say that comcast has the obligation to sell you the box other than Dozens statement)
post #462 of 885 Old 04-16-2004, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

As far as I know, Motorola doesn't put their STB in the channel -- it only sells to OEM's. Selling to the public wouldn't be feasible due to the head-end that's required by the hosting company (i.e. Comcast).
post #463 of 885 Old 04-16-2004, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

if you go here it looks like Motorola intends to sell its dct 6200 so why not the 6208 ? I know Comcast will support customer own equipment like the DCP 501.

post #464 of 885 Old 04-16-2004, 06:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

dozens,

It will only be sold in markets where the cable company supports it. You can't currently buy and use any Motorola or Scientific Atlanta cable set-top box unless it is expressly supported by your particular cable company.
post #465 of 885 Old 04-16-2004, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bfdtv
dozens,

It will only be sold in markets where the cable company supports it. You can't currently buy and use any Motorola or Scientific Atlanta cable set-top box unless it is expressly supported by your particular cable company.
Is it an FCC requirement for all cable companies to support customer owned equipment or soon to be a law ?

post #466 of 885 Old 04-19-2004, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

A very informative article was written in TelevisionWeek that centers around the exact reason why this thread exists. Check it out:

http://www.tvweek.com/topstorys/041904dvr.html
post #467 of 885 Old 04-19-2004, 10:30 AM

I just talked with a CSR, now late summer to early fall to consumers.

NOTE: this is for the KC area [Independence, Raymore, Olathe KS]
post #468 of 885 Old 04-19-2004, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Baltimore County has begun Beta testing the 6208 with a June deployment date. I just got one of the boxes.

Rich N.
post #469 of 885 Old 04-19-2004, 11:14 AM

Great article find, thanks! Talk about finger pointing and denial
of their poor execution.

I'm not sure I see what the rush is now to roll out, the summer
re-run season is almost upon us. Not sure how much I'll
need a DVR then.
post #470 of 885 Old 04-19-2004, 03:38 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is it an FCC requirement for all cable companies to support customer owned equipment or soon to be a law ?
Yes, as of 1 July, the FCC has mandated the support of CableCard Digital Cable tuners by cable companies.

I read here people discussing the Sony CableCard HD DVRs, for Sept. (25 hrs.) $800 and Nov. (12 hrs.) $700.

I also read an article about a Motorola CableCard HD tuner in Q2 (probably late Q2), and a CableCard HD 160GB DVR in late Q3. Anyone know the prices?

Apparently, all are just single-tuners of Digital Cable and OTA.

Since I have an HDTV w/o HD, and I would like a dual-tuner CableCard HD Tivo, I think I might get the Motorola HD tuner, rather than a DVR, and wait for a Tivo or (other good dual-tuner DVR). With the prices of HD tuners (non-DVR) being reduced, it shouldn't be too much.

In the future, when I get Tivo, I could move the HD tuner to another HDTV or analog TV, that doesn't need Tivo.

I wonder if any company will make CableCard SD tuners any time soon?
post #471 of 885 Old 04-19-2004, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Pardon my ignorance as I'm new this this particular forum. How similar is the comcast DVR to Tivo? I am trying to decide between Direct TV and HD Tivo Versus comcast and this "DVR" device which I am assuming functions exactly like a Tivo for HD.

Thank you for your assistance as this will affect my purchase decision within 1 day.

He who dies with the most toys wins.
http://www.sitejabber.com/users/staroch
post #472 of 885 Old 04-19-2004, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Doc,

One day?! That's a quick turnaround for researching the competition to a $1000 product!

Are you a regular Tivo or Reply user? If you are accustomed to the Tivo user interface, for example, you may have a hard time adapting to the comparatively rudimentary UI on the Motorola DVR.

Also, what is your specific location? Comcast has the Motorola in some areas and Scientific Atlanta in others ... although I am fairly sure it is Motorola for all California areas.

And you may have to wait a while for the Comcast DVR ... October or later in some areas... again, your specific location may provide some insight.

I will let others who have experienced both Tivo and the Motorola 6208 compare them for you, and there are several threads you can find that have extensive reviews of the 6208 by members who have been Tivo users.
post #473 of 885 Old 04-19-2004, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Doc, can you receive HD signal over-the-air? If so, you have some latitude. If not, cable will be your only option for local networks in HD.

Another variable to consider is cost. The DirecTivo costs [don't know $600-$1000?], while a cable company provided DVR will run about $15-18/mo ($10-13 DVR + $5 extra box fee), so despite the annoyance of the monthly fee, it will take a long time for it to add up to the cost of an HD DirecTivo.

Personally, I'd pay extra for an HD DirecTivo. I haven't used the Motorola, but having seen interfaces on their cable boxen...

The HD DirecTivo has multiple tuners, enabling the recording of two shows at a time. The Motorola unit with the same capability will not be out for a few months.

...and the big one, which SonomaSearcher made a point of: What's available to you? I can't get the Motorola box in my area. If I could receive my local HD stations OTA, I'd already have ordered an HD DirecTivo. As it is, I'm regretting my switch away from DirecTivos to Comcast in anticipation of the Motorola DVRs. I miss my Tivos, and Comcast failed to deliver on the DVR. But that's a whole other rant...

--Mike
post #474 of 885 Old 04-19-2004, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance as I'm new this this particular forum. How similar is the comcast DVR to Tivo? I am trying to decide between Direct TV and HD Tivo Versus comcast and this "DVR" device which I am assuming functions exactly like a Tivo for HD.
The DirecTivo HD offers superior functionality, but at a comparatively high price. The specific capabilities of the DVR will vary depending on whether your area Comcast uses Motorola or SA equipment, but neither of their potential boxes will compare well to the HDTV DirecTivo.

DirecTV does not offer HDTV locals over satellite, so you will need to mount an antenna if you want to view and record HDTV local channels. If you reside in or around a major market, DTV/HDTV reception may not be a problem, assuming your SO doesn't have a problem with an antenna. Be sure to check whether all the network affiliates have digital broadcasts in your area, using Antennaweb. You may also wish to check the HDTV Local Info forum to see how others in your area are doing with their DTV/HDTV locals.

Note if you order a DirecTivo HD today, you may not get it before mid-May. Obviously, there is a lot of demand for this product, and initial quantities will be limited.
post #475 of 885 Old 04-19-2004, 07:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yes, but this applies to CableCARD boxes (none of which currently exist), not Motorola and Scientific Atlanta boxes. Motorola and Scientific Atlanta equipment is not compatible, which is why some cable company divisions use one or the other. These SA or Motorola boxes must also be specifically suppported by the local office.
post #476 of 885 Old 04-19-2004, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The 6208 is now available through Comcast in Los Angeles. Call and get yours if you are in SoCal.

Tuscon, AZ Comcast customers should also call and check as it is quite possible the HD DVR will be released there soon, if not already.

Note that Comcast Los Angeles is in Comcast's Atlantic Division-- yes, that's no joke-- so availability in Los Angeles doesn't have implications for Northern California or Central California.
post #477 of 885 Old 04-19-2004, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SonomaSearcher
The 6208 is now available through Comcast in Los Angeles. Call and get yours if you are in SoCal.

Tuscon, AZ Comcast customers should also call and check as it is quite possible the HD DVR will be released there soon, if not already.

Note that Comcast Los Angeles is in Comcast's Atlantic Division-- yes, that's no joke-- so availability in Los Angeles doesn't have implications for Northern California or Central California.
damn what a tease..I saw the Socal post and got excited...I always thought LA was weird...now I know why.

Anyway, do you have any idea if Arizona is in the Western Division? I couldnt make heads or tails from the breakdown I saw
post #478 of 885 Old 04-19-2004, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Arizona is in the Atlantic Division also, and so is Dallas.

So you see how it all makes sense-- the Atlantic Division is going all out on 6208 deployment. I say "all out" but remember, these are all non-publicized, "soft" launches.

By the way, Comcast Miami-Ft. Lauderdale is also in the Atlantic Division, so anyone who has Comcast there should call and check to see if a soft launch has begun. If not yet, it soon will.

Comcast's 1st Quarter Results conference is April 28th, so it will now be able to make a (relatively) positive report regarding the status of DVR deployment.
post #479 of 885 Old 04-19-2004, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Man, I would love for someone who had actual knowledge of Comcast's internal business model to explain the thinking behind this. How do they come to the conclusion that that certain "regions" should get a particular product versus another. I could see if it had to with how well an area is developed (if the infrastructure has been upgraded) but I can't make any sense out of it. Personally, if was between getting the 6208 and waiting until next year for 64xx vs. getting the the 64xx this summer, I'd rather wait. I'm just really curious.
post #480 of 885 Old 04-19-2004, 11:21 PM

When did LA get it? I've been asking for it for a while now. When did they release it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page