Summary and Updates on Comcast HD DVR Deployment -- All Areas - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 885 Old 06-20-2004, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The first Motorola 6412's have shown up on a Cox system in Kansas. There are two threads in the Recorders forum.

Should be interesting to see where and when the first Comcast 6412's arrive.

Speaking from a self-interested point of view, hopefully the Comcast systems that did not launch the 6208 will get the first shipments of 6412's. But that would be too fair, and life isn't. :)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 885 Old 06-21-2004, 05:19 AM

I spoke with a contact at the Fort Myers/Naples headend (Scientific Atlanta) and he said they should be ready by 4th quarter. They were saying June a couple of months ago...

Dave Cook
post #723 of 885 Old 06-21-2004, 12:35 PM

Comcast just came here (Caldwell NJ) this morning to hookup my 6208. Tech was a great guy, no problems. Love the new STB and I'm a 3-year Tivo customer.
-Dave
post #724 of 885 Old 06-23-2004, 09:41 AM

I am in the Philadelphia region (Ardmore PA) managed by Comcast out of Willow Grove. I just had the 6208 installed today. This has been a long trek -- but persistence pays off. I called Comcast after seeing posts earlier in this thread regarding the Philadelphia area. The first CSR I spoke with said it was not available -- and that she checked with a supervisor and who said that I could be placed on the “List.†If the Lists exists I have been on it since November and have not yet received a call or email. I immediately called back and spoke with a different CSR. After about 1/2 hour I was scheduled to received the box in two weeks. On the scheduled install date the tech arrived with no box (that was this past Saturday). I called Monday and was told that they only had received a few boxes and that they had no more. I asked to speak with a supervisor and a few minutes later the CSR returned to report that they found a box and would install it today. They did. All is well that ends well.

Andrew
post #725 of 885 Old 06-23-2004, 12:53 PM
dwk

Chicago suburb, I got my 6208 installed last night. Works GREAT, I am a happy man. (until the 6412 comes out ) :D :D :D

persistence is the word!
post #726 of 885 Old 06-23-2004, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Enjoy your 6208s! The current word in Philadelphia proper (including Chestnut Hill) from the CSRs is that even though the Comcast web site promises "mid-2004" for the DVR they will not really be available until September, and then it will be the dual tuner box. (Oddly, they are training the CSRs on the SINGLE tuner box now but telling me that that DVR will never be released in my area.)

-Chris
post #727 of 885 Old 06-24-2004, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

I know you're all in suspense, but I got a 6208 this morning. Right after yesterday afternoon's call I called again, got another CSR and the promise from her supervisor that I could pick up a 6208 this morning at the Northeastern Ave. location. I did that this morning, and there are two left in that warehouse, but good luck getting one!

The lessons I learned include: call repeatedly until you get a CSR who seems to really want to help, be polite but insistent that you are frustrated with the delay, refer to retention department and DirectTV (but softly) and act quickly when they make a promise.

Last night's CSR made my case to her supervisor, called the warehouse to confirm they had one and noted all the information in the computer. I got to the warehouse at opening with my 6200 and the counter agent swore up, down and sideways that there were NO DVRs at that location and that even the employees could not get them. She said it was so very wrong of the CSR and her supervisor to promise me one. One of her co-workers happily suggested that she call the warehouse to see if there might just be one there inasmuch as the computer note said one was promised. There were three (now two?) in the warehouse. When I asked to exchange the remote for the DVR version, my counter agent assured me that they did not have one or that they were the same. At that point there was a fellow standing behind her with a clear plastic bag filled with silver remotes. I asked if they might be DVR remotes and, sure enough, they were. I got one and ran to the car with my 6208 and new remote.

Hooked up the 6208 as soon as I got home and, after a quick call to the 800 number to activate it, I am in business. Oddly enough, it still has firmware 7.07 even though my 6200 had firmware 7.10. I'll have to watch to see if the firmware changes to 7.10 and restores the DVI/HDCP handshake issue with the plasma display. The model is 6208/2500. I set the DVR to record an INHD program this afternoon and went to work. I finally caught up with the Philadelphia suburban users who have had DVRs for quite a while and I should be able to timeshift the Olympics in HD! Now looking for the 6412 in the Fall.....

-Chris
post #728 of 885 Old 06-24-2004, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

CKarras,

Good to see you finally got a 6208.

Regard there being no (or very few) 6208's at the warehouses in your area, it is unfortunate that there are so many 6208's sitting in warehouses out here on the west coast, where Comcast unofficially is saying it will wait for the 6412.

So while demand for the 6208 exceeds supply on the east coast, a whole lot of 6208's are sitting in warehouses on the west coast, with no plans to deploy them anywhere. I wonder why they haven't been shipped away to the midwest and east coast, where Comcast is actually deploying the 6208.

Obviously, I would have preferred that they deploy the 6208's out here, but that just isn't happening. So they might as well deploy the warehoused 6208's somewhere else, instead of letting them go to waste.

post #729 of 885 Old 06-24-2004, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CKarras
and that even the employees could not get them.
That's true!

David
post #730 of 885 Old 06-25-2004, 08:56 AM

I just talk with a CSR at Comcast in Monmouth (Central) NJ. This CSR says the SA8000HD will be available at the end of July.

Andy
post #731 of 885 Old 06-25-2004, 10:59 PM

Liked: 12
Has anybody else noticed that everyone that has received a DVR/Firewire box has called alot, filed a complaint, etc. etc., why has it come to this? They've been working on the boxes for months and months, there hasn't even been a press release on anything. Sorry, it's just frusterating!
post #732 of 885 Old 06-26-2004, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Slinky11
Has anybody else noticed that everyone that has received a DVR/Firewire box has called alot, filed a complaint, etc. etc., why has it come to this? They've been working on the boxes for months and months, there hasn't even been a press release on anything. Sorry, it's just frusterating!
The DVR's are being soft-launched - no ads, etc. The reason is that they will be in very short supply until the dual-tuner boxes rollout. At that point, I would suspect, is when you'll begin seeing and hearing the ads.

David
post #733 of 885 Old 06-27-2004, 07:06 AM

I would agree with faceoff, i feel like these 1 tuner boxes are kinda of a bandaid of sort to keep customers happy till a better solution can be rolled out. I mean they had to do something as you know who now has the HD Directivo. though it is expensive and in short supply its still there

post #734 of 885 Old 06-28-2004, 06:09 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by hma
I got an e-mail from comcast yesterday saying the DVR is not yet available in my area.

Anyone in or around Westfield, NJ have the DVR installed yet? If so, I guess I'll have to start calling Comcast (like many of the other frustrated forum members!)

-HMA
I called on the 14th to get HDTV service for my 30hs420 and two days later I had it and the 6208 installed in westfield. It wasn't a big deal with the CSR, and untill I visited this forum I didn't know it was a difficult get. They don't recommend a DVI connection with this unit, so I await the coming upgrade to the dual tuner unit in a few months.
post #735 of 885 Old 06-29-2004, 03:27 AM

^Whats wrong with using DVI with it, I am and have not noticed any ill effects.
post #736 of 885 Old 06-29-2004, 09:16 AM

I just got the 6208 installed on Sunday so they are available:)

The install was terrible. They never showed up on Saturday when they were scheduled even after three phone calls promising they would. They then rescheduled for Sunday at 11am. I told him not to show up before then because I would not be home and wanted to make sure he hooked it up properly to my home theater system. The tech showed up at 8am when I was not there and all he did was run a coax from my vcr to the 6208. Did not run anything to my av receiver.:mad:

Try giving Comcast a call.

Anyone know when the dual tuner model will roll out in NJ and if Comcast will charge us to swap out the units?
post #737 of 885 Old 06-29-2004, 10:50 AM

I received my 6208 about 3 weeks ago in Fanwood, NJ. Over all I like it. I had been using a computer loaded with Microsoft Media Center and that was just fine. The Comcast unit is not as smooth and well developed as the Microsoft software but I am happy with the reduction of equipment necessary to get the DVR capability.

The only issue I have is the lack of a dual tuner and that should be fixed in the next several months.

I have been able to set my system up to record one station while I watch another. I do this with a splitter before the STB and run the STB into the TV RF connector (I don't have HD yet) and the line without the STB into Video 1. Its a kludge but it works and I had to do the same thing with the Microsoft set up. I can record all stations, digital and analog but I can watch only the alalog stations while I record a digital one. I don't see this as a big problem.

Interestingly I am able to watch the HD channels on my non-HD TV. I think I have deluded myself to thinking that the picture is better on those stations even on a regular TV.

I had no problem with the tech who set it up. He knew very little but that was OK. I generally want them out of my house as quickly as possible so I can then set it up the way I want it.

Still have the 7.07 system.

All in all I am satisfied and look forward to the upgrades to come.

We have met the enemy and he is us! - POGO
post #738 of 885 Old 06-29-2004, 07:38 PM
hma

Thanks to all the Central NJ respondents. Of course, Comcast has NOT called or e-mailed to tell me the 6208 is available in Westfield! At this point I wonder if it doesn't make sense to wait for the dual tuner version if it won't be too long. Anyone have any idea when that will be available? Is the 6208 good enough to be worth having for a few months while waiting?

Thanks,

HMA
post #739 of 885 Old 06-29-2004, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hma
Anyone have any idea when that will be available? Is the 6208 good enough to be worth having for a few months while waiting?
If you want an HD recording option when the NFL season and network TV schedule starts in September, then go for the 6208.

If you can wait until the Thanksgiving/Christmas time frame for a dual tuner HD DVR (the 6412), then you could pass on the 6208.

This is what things look like to me. However, others with better knowledge may be more confident about when the 6412's will be ready.

Remember, TV Guide is still working on the software for the 6412, and Microsoft's Foundation software is also not yet ready for the 6412 (at least neither is ready for real life beta testing on Comcast systems). So a lot depends on what happens in what could be called the "dual tuner HD DVR software development race."

post #740 of 885 Old 07-02-2004, 09:09 AM

FYI- RECEIVED CALL FROM COMCAST YESTERDAY THAT SA8000HD ARE IN AND I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT SET FOR THURSDAY. I WAS SURPRISED THEY HAD CALLED CONSIDERING IT HAS BEEN OVER A MONTH SINCE I INQUIRED.
post #741 of 885 Old 07-02-2004, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

congratulations...I think you are the first person ever to get a call after being placed on the "VIP List":D
post #742 of 885 Old 07-02-2004, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good to see the 8000 HD's are finally being deployed.

Now all the attention can focus on the Moto 6412's and the Comcast areas that still have zero HD DVR (and zero DVR) options.

post #743 of 885 Old 07-03-2004, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SonomaSearcher
Good to see the 8000 HD's are finally being deployed.

Now all the attention can focus on the Moto 6412's and the Comcast areas that still have zero HD DVR (and zero DVR) options.
Not until I get my 8000hd!

Arrive
Raise Hell
Leave
post #744 of 885 Old 07-04-2004, 04:18 AM

Just got confirmation from marketing in Fort Myers (SA headend). The new HD DVR's are scheduled to be rolled out to customers on July 15. I don't have information on the box, though I'm assuming it's the 8000HD based on what I'm reading.

A NEW ERA IN TV IS NIGH :D Nothing but HD for me baby!!!

Dave Cook
post #745 of 885 Old 07-04-2004, 05:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Comcast has still not addressed any of the issues with their SA8000HD in N. VA...Let's hope the do in Fort Myers.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
post #746 of 885 Old 07-04-2004, 05:56 AM

What issues? I know that the SA3250 had optical audio problems...

Dave Cook
post #747 of 885 Old 07-04-2004, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bfdtv
I am one of the "testers" with the SA8000HD in Arlington/Alexandria. I believe there are seven or eight of us...The model deployed by Comcast in N. VA will be the SA8000HD with 160Gb drive, DVI, two Firewire outputs, and the SARA software....The current plan is to roll the box out in the second-half of June.

OK it's Independence Day, but I'm not feeling independent of my VCR just yet. Is there an update on when the SA8000HD will be rolled out in Arlington/Alexandria? I almost went out and bought a TIVO but held back at the last minute.
post #748 of 885 Old 07-06-2004, 09:56 AM

I use Comcast in Reston, VA (northern Virginia) and have an appointment this Thursday evening for installation of the HD DVR.

I was in their Reston office this morning to pay my bill and asked when the HD DVRs would be available. Response was that they were already being deployed but in short supply. I asked to be put on a wait list and she came back saying that one would be available for Thursday installation. I asked several times to confirm this was the HD DVR. I'll believe it when I see it. She couldn't tell me the make and model but said it has two tuners.

Any other Reston Comcast cutomers out there with the HD DVR?
post #749 of 885 Old 07-06-2004, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Calling Comcast of Arlington/Alexandria and I get the canned answer of we have no idea, you will be notified by mail when they are available.
Go figure...

Arrive
Raise Hell
Leave
post #750 of 885 Old 07-06-2004, 11:28 AM

The SA8000HD has a Dual Tuner, correct? I read that you can record one channel while you watch another...

Dave Cook
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page