post #271 of 7202 Old 02-25-2004, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by merc
I am just about to buy this recorder, but have a few questions which I didn't see in this thread fully answered(although with 14 pages, I might have missed it).

- What is the best price that folks are paying for this unit?(my local dealer asked me this question so that he could give me a good price on it)
- Can you set this unit up to JUST receive HDTV channels, and not analog or DTV channels from both your unscrampbled cable and OTA? Or, will it set up all the channels it can see and then require you to delete the 100 or so channels you don't want in the guide and in channel up/down?
- Has anyone reported not being able to get the guide when they just use OTA only?
- With almost all of my primary OTA HDTV stations multicasting, how does the quide handle that? Does it show 2 of the same listings(one HDTV and one upconverted analog)? What about the two stations where I have different listings for subchannels -1 and -2?
- It HAS been verified that you can offload the unit to the Mits 2000u DVHS via firewire.. right?
- Has anyone other than one person had problems with the RGBHV output at 1080i? Is anyone using it without problems?

That's all the questions I can think of right now... thanks for your help!

merc,

In answer to some of your questions:

My OTA only Guide works.

If you want only digital stations (OTA and cable), you will have a LOT of deleting to do. You can move the channels you want up to the top of the listings, but this process is cumbersome. You can't grab a tile and move it smoothly to the top. You need to click passed EACH tile above it. Terrible. (Unless I'm doing something wrong.)

The Guide shows only the main digital OTA channels, although the sub channels are present in channel memory. BTW, you can't delete individual sub channels from memory. It's all or nothing. I can't address this relative to cable channels at this time.

The Mits 2000 works well recording in BOTH directions. The picture is flawless. The only thing I noticed is that a program copied from D-VHS to the HDD will break up on FF during playback on the 3410A.

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 7202 Old 02-25-2004, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I called the LGE service center to report the random brightness level changes while watching through the RGBHV port in 1080i mode. The lady offered the following:

1. She had not heard of this problem with this box since it was so new. However, they had precisely that problem with the 520 STB's. On these the problems manifested themselves through the DVI port. Since both originate from the same source, she said some owners complained that the problem was visible in various output modes. She said if they were lucky the viewing mode selected was not the one with the problem. Others were exchanged.

2. The only thing they can do is swap out the box. It may take several weeks and maybe months to swap the unit because there are so few of them around.

3. I had to guarantee my swap out with a credit card. The'll send a new one and I will return mine.

4. She knew nothing about any routing through a place in Texas for modifications. Therefore, I assume my unit was opened by Value Electronics. Since no one has any in stock and all I had to do was respond to the dealer's message on here saying he had one for shipment, I wonder if someone returned it to them because of this defect. My last purchase from Value. It was not even double boxed.

5. Potential buyers beware. This is not a trivial issue. The brightness level changes are very annoying to say the least. The fact that LGE had this problem on their 520 STB makes me believe that there is a systemic design flaw or part failure issue. You would think someone would have caught it and fixed it.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #273 of 7202 Old 02-25-2004, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Apologies in advance if these questions have been covered more than 17 times, but, the thread is huge:

Does the 3410 allow "Chasing Playback" - i.e. playback of a program while it is still in the record mode?

Also, does it have a Pause Buffer, and, does it have a time limit- i.e. 30 minutes; 1 hour etc.?

Can you watch a program from the HDD while teh unit is recording a live show?

Has anyone expanded the unit beyond 1 HDD?

Lastly, has anyone successfully recorded QAM 256 broadcasts?

Murray Kerdman
post #274 of 7202 Old 02-25-2004, 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by MrHifi
I assume my unit was opened by Value Electronics. Since no one has any in stock and all I had to do was respond to the dealer's message on here saying he had one for shipment, I wonder if someone returned it to them because of this defect. My last purchase from Value. It was not even double boxed.

I also got my unit from Value Electronics. I had pre-ordered in January, so mine was in the first group that they shipped out from the 1st shipment - therefore I know that it wasn't a returned unit from someone else. My box had also been opened and re-sealed. I have no reason to suspect that Value Electronics was the one who opened it, since it was reported from others earlier that all of these units went thro a final quality control check in Texas. (the shipping address that Value had received it from was still readable, and it was a Texas address)

I haven't noticed the brightness issue you have, but I am using the HD component output rather than the RGB output. I do plan on using the DVI input when a decent DVI switch (with audio also) come available, so maybe I'll verify that I don't have a brightness problem with my DVI output on this unit.
post #275 of 7202 Old 02-25-2004, 10:06 AM

OK, I have had my LST-3410a for about 2 weeks now.

Would I recommand it - I would say NO.

Does it work well - YES.

Love the TV guide and pause live TV for up to 12 hours if drive empty.

It does not have 2 tuners and I can live with that.

But why can I not play from the Hard Drive while I record another
program. I have a real problem with this option missing. It will
let you timeshift which is like recording a program and watching
another from the HD. But if I record on Wed. Star-Trek and want to
watch it on Thr. I cannot watch it until after I record Surv and CSI.
That blows!!! that I cannot at least play a program from the HD if
it will cross over the repeated set recorded programs. For example
if I started watching Star-Trek at 6:30pm then I must stop at 7:00
to let the unit record Surv and CSI. So, I guess you can record a
program at any time but cannot watch it when you want to. This is a
pain sinice I have a show or 2 each day to record. I guess I need to
just use it as a real time pause system and live with that. I'll need to
pause the system at 7:00pm thr for a half hour before i sit down to watch
Surv and CSI.

Since the price for the unit is $1000.00 I think that I would tell people
that they sould wait until a unit with this option and maybe 2 turns.

just my 2 cents
I'll check into the HD Tivo when it comes out.
post #276 of 7202 Old 02-25-2004, 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by KornerKlub
The "smart skip" is a little too smart. For example, if there is a conversation between two people and each person has a different background... then it will toggle between them. From my experience, if I wanted to scan past a commercial, I just x5 or x20 past it.

I use the Drag + 2 or 3 times to move over commercial and then use the
smart skip - to move back to the start of the program. Works well for me.
post #277 of 7202 Old 02-25-2004, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

I'm waiting on delivery of my unit from Value Electronics, and the tracking originates from Texas. So, I'm thinking that the Texas part of this equation is a drop-ship origin.
post #278 of 7202 Old 02-25-2004, 12:32 PM

I was thinking about this box, the good and the bad.

In my opinion the OTA performance through the antenna is Great. Tuner appears to be sensitive, and it locks in well on all of my local stations - both for the HD signal and the SD signal. And the Guide works well for the OTA stations.

However - when I connect to cable it's no longer great. The QAM decocer is useless since my Cox digital cable scrambles everything digital.

Without using the Cable box: It does pick up the analog cable - but telling the 3410 that I have analog cable (without a cable box) seems to take away the option to get analog OTA - the Guide wants to default to getting all of the SD broadcast information off the Cable input rather than giving me the option to get some of it off the OTA Antenna input. This seems to have been a design decision to "simplify" the setup for users, but I would much rather have greater flexibility.

When using the Cable box; Telling the 3410 that I am using the Cable box then defaults to getting EVERYTHING (except the OTA HD signals) off the cable box. It effectively disables both the co-ax antenna input and the co-ax cable input from receiving any SD information. Again, this seems to have been a design decision to "simplify' the setup for users, but I would prefer greater flexibility. Tuning the Damn Cable box (thru commands from the 3410 led cable box controller) works, but is very slow, and it gets confused when I try to rapidly scroll down channels from the Guide Screen. I also would prefer to get everything OTA as my 1st Option, and bypass the cable box for everything except things that are only available on Cable.

Also the lack of a capability to record HD off the Cable box is a pain. Maybe next year's model will have the capability to use a "smart card" that I'll have to buy from the Cable Company.

Hopefully I'm wrong on this lack of flexibility about bypassing the cable box, and someone can tell me a way around that limitation...
post #279 of 7202 Old 02-25-2004, 03:13 PM

Has anyone attempted to use this PVR with Cox's cable system, I recall somewhere that Cox usually encripts, however I can not confirm that. I tried sending an email to Cox, but they only respond that they are compatible only with motorola, which doesn't really answer my question.

Don
post #280 of 7202 Old 02-25-2004, 03:58 PM

Phil,
Thanks for the answers to most of my questions. Sounds like this unit is best used simply as an HD OTA recorder.

One more question which I'd guess has already been answered somewhere in this thread... Seems like all I can do if I only use this for OTA is to move the primary HD OTA channels up in the guide, and that's it? Will the hispanic OTA channels stay in channel up/down memory? Is there anyway whatsoever you can delete the hispanic channels from the box all together?

- Oh yeah, and has anyone paid less than MSRP for their unit?

Thanks!
post #281 of 7202 Old 02-25-2004, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Merc,
I think you can set them to an 'Off' status and they will not show up on your listing.
post #282 of 7202 Old 02-25-2004, 06:51 PM

Quote:

I think you can set them to an 'Off' status and they will not show up on your listing.

Hyrax,
thanks for the info. That would really be great for those of us in the Houston area who don't speak Spanish.
post #283 of 7202 Old 02-25-2004, 08:29 PM
jcg
AVS Special Member

What does your comment "Also the lack of a capability to record HD off the Cable box is a pain." mean? Are you saying you can't record HDTV channels that come in over cable? I thought the 3410 could definately do this along with recording HDTV off OTA?

John

Quote:

Originally posted by BenSanford
I was thinking about this box, the good and the bad.

In my opinion the OTA performance through the antenna is Great. Tuner appears to be sensitive, and it locks in well on all of my local stations - both for the HD signal and the SD signal. And the Guide works well for the OTA stations.

However - when I connect to cable it's longer great. The QAM decocer is useless since my Cox digital cable scrambles everything digital.

Without using the Cable box: It does pick up the analog cable - but telling the 3410 that I have analog cable (without a cable box) seems to take away the option to get analog OTA - the Guide wants to default to getting all of the SD broadcast information off the Cable input rather than giving me the option to get some of it off the OTA Antenna input. This seems to have been a design decision to "simplify" the setup for users, but I would much rather have greater flexibility.

When using the Cable box; Telling the 3410 that I am using the Cable box then defaults to getting EVERYTHING (except the OTA HD signals) off the cable box. It effectively disables both the co-ax antenna input and the co-ax cable input from receiving any SD information. Again, this seems to have been a design decision to "simplify' the setup for users, but I would prefer greater flexibility. Tuning the Damn Cable box (thru commands from the 3410 led cable box controller) works, but is very slow, and it gets confused when I try to rapidly scroll down channels from the Guide Screen. I also would prefer to get everything OTA as my 1st Option, and bypass the cable box for everything except things that are only available on Cable.

Also the lack of a capability to record HD off the Cable box is a pain. Maybe next year's model will have the capability to use a "smart card" that I'll have to buy from the Cable Company.

Hopefully I'm wrong on this lack of flexibility about bypassing the cable box, and someone can tell me a way around that limitation...

post #284 of 7202 Old 02-25-2004, 08:34 PM

Quote:

I thought the 3410 could definately do this along with recording HDTV off OTA?

I think he was referring to the cable systems which do not transmit "in the open" like mine here at TWC Houston. All their digital transmissions are done via scrambled and require a paid box for each HDTV in order to see those channels.

The 3410a only decodes, records and shows unscrambled ATSC OTA (always) transmissions and those very few cable providers who send the signal via unscrambled QAM signal...... YMMV. I hope that makes sense to you? Basically, anything that must come through your cable box to see on your HDTV ready TV, you can't record it on the 3410a either. YMMV.
post #285 of 7202 Old 02-25-2004, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Merc-
Quote:

Basically, anything that must come through your cable box to see on your HDTV ready TV, you can't record it on the 3410a either.

I may be mistaken, but I believe that what you said is almost correct, but slightly off. The 3410a acts like a cable box [edit: for unscrambled signals], so it will decode digital cable signals. I don't believe any built in HDTV tuners will decode digital cable (but I could easily be wrong). So I believe you can watch stuff with the 3410a that you cannot see if you were to connect the cable directly to your HDTV.

As you said, what the 3410A will not do is descramble any signals. However, I believe that there are some cable boxes that allow you to send the descrambled signal out via their antenna out. If this is the case, these cable boxes will (or might) allow you to watch and record HD that comes through the cable box.

I hope this is clear - trying to figure out how to use this tuner is confusing at times.
post #286 of 7202 Old 02-25-2004, 10:09 PM

Quote:

may be mistaken, but I believe that what you said is almost correct, but slightly off. The 3410a acts like a cable box, so it will decode digital cable signals. I don't believe any built in HDTV tuners will decode digital cable (but I could easily be wrong). So I believe you can watch stuff with the 3410a that you cannot see on your HDTV.

Nope... As I understand it, Sex in the City is probably scrambled, so the 3410 cannot decode it but your cable box can.
The 3410a can only decode unscrambled, in the clear, QAM cable signals.
post #287 of 7202 Old 02-26-2004, 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jcg
What does your comment "Also the lack of a capability to record HD off the Cable box is a pain." mean? Are you saying you can't record HDTV channels that come in over cable? I thought the 3410 could definately do this along with recording HDTV off OTA?

John

Once anything goes into the cable box, it then goes into the 3410 through the A/V 1 input. This is not a HD capable input. It is only for SD signals - so you can record stuff out of the cable box in SD but not HD. I could send the HD signals out of the cable box to the TV to watch HD, but I can't time-shift in HD from cable. The only HD stuff that Cox offers that I can't get off the my antenna instead is HBO - and of course that is scrambled.
If you are lucky enough to live in an area where the Cable company sends the HD stuff in the clear - then you could bypass the cable box and record it in HD with the 3410.

My guess is that next year when similar products with the CableCARD feature come out - we will finally be able to get rid of the damn cable boxes, and timeshift HD off the cable as well. Of course that means that I'll need to buy another unit.
post #288 of 7202 Old 02-26-2004, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Originally posted by merc

- Oh yeah, and has anyone paid less than MSRP for their unit?

Thanks!

Yep. Call 972-516-1849 and ask for Jim. Tell them Stanton sent you.
I've purchased several audio/video products from them (they're local to me) over the years.

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #289 of 7202 Old 02-26-2004, 06:20 AM

I have no cable box. In fact, I only have basic cable. However, the only channel that m Comcast provide that I am unable to receive, and record, with the 3410 is HBO-HD.

If Comcast would provide me with a cable box that will output QAM on the RF, I would be able to record HBO-HD then. All it would take would be putting pressure on the cable company. They can have a cable box that will simply unscramble the QAM portion and pass it on the RF.
post #290 of 7202 Old 02-26-2004, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

So has anyone else verified the brightness level annomaly via the RGBHV output. I think this is a big issue yet I'm not seeing any comments. As I mentioned before, LG-Zenith Service said they had this problem with the 520 STB.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #291 of 7202 Old 02-26-2004, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Art -
I'm seeing the RGB problem on stations that are not 1080i. Right now my output is the same as the signal, so I am going to try to convert all of the the output to 1080i and see if it goes away. The problem may be my monitor, so I'm not ready to blame the 3410A at this point.

This is not really a problem for me because I use component all of the time for HD material.
post #292 of 7202 Old 02-26-2004, 07:39 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sorry if this question has been answered somewhere in this thread before, will the 3410a record to hard drive directly from a Sony IO digital box with firewire out to 3410a firewire?

Lon
post #293 of 7202 Old 02-26-2004, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

merc-
You and I are saying the same thing, except that I am trying to make the point that all cable companies do not scramble all of their digital channels. I am able to watch many digital channels via the 3410A even though I do not have a cable box. The premium channels are scrambled, so the 3410A acts just like a cable box for me because I do not subscribe to the premium channels.
post #294 of 7202 Old 02-26-2004, 10:25 AM

Quote:

So has anyone else verified the brightness level annomaly via the RGBHV output. I think this is a big issue yet I'm not seeing any comments. As I mentioned before, LG-Zenith Service said they had this problem with the 520 STB.

I never heard of a RGB problem with the 520. In fact, I asked my contact with LG, and he knew nothing of a previous RGB problem with that unit. It sounds like the Customer Service agent you talked to was getting confused.
post #295 of 7202 Old 02-26-2004, 02:45 PM

I just added a splitter to my antenna lead so I could look at my Sony 34XBR910 tuner next to the LST-3410A tuner in the pip windows. With OTA standard 480i in 4x3 ratio, the Sony PQ wins by a lot. Both brighter and better defined. Remember, these are simultaneously on the screen, and, thus, the screen is set at all of the same parameters such as "Standard", etc. Makes me wonder!

Dan
post #296 of 7202 Old 02-26-2004, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So has anyone else verified the brightness level anomaly via the RGBHV output. I think this is a big issue yet I'm not seeing any comments.

I spent a lot of time testing the RGB out today and it seems like there may be a problem if you let the 3410A change resolution according to the source. Everything is fine if I tell the 3410A to output a 720P or a 1080i signal to my monitor. If I use the Native, or Variable output options, I get rather bad results with 480P and 480i signals. What I've seen includes brightness levels are not consistent (flickering), when I leave a channel and come back the brightness level is different, blacks/dark blue saturates the screen, and such.

Before anyone condemns the 3410A for causing these problems I should mention that I've never used my monitor with any 480I or 480P source material over the RGB input. It could easily be something wrong with my monitor.
post #297 of 7202 Old 02-26-2004, 03:33 PM

Anyone pay anything other than MSRP of $999?

My dealer specifically asked me what the best price I've seen on this unit, and although I could lie to him and say $799, I'd rather tell the truth?

Is that truth full retail price?
post #298 of 7202 Old 02-26-2004, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Dan,
Perhaps what you're seeing is the same thing I'm seeing with 480I & 480P signals. I'm suggesting that the 3410A may have a problem outputting 480 material. When I use the 3410A's 720P output what I see on my Sony monitor is obviously superior to what I get without the 3410A.
post #299 of 7202 Old 02-26-2004, 04:09 PM
jcg
AVS Special Member

Has anyone tried contacting LG support about not being able to watch a recorded show while recording is going on? I wonder if they plan to fix this? I know this is a standard feature on Tivo and ReplayTV (as I have the latter), but I'm wondering if maybe due to the much higher bandwidth required to record HD stuff that the disk drive couldn't keep up with having to record and playback at the same time (as this takes 2x the bandwidth).

John

Quote:

Originally posted by mstanl
OK, I have had my LST-3410a for about 2 weeks now.

Would I recommand it - I would say NO.

Does it work well - YES.

Love the TV guide and pause live TV for up to 12 hours if drive empty.

It does not have 2 tuners and I can live with that.

But why can I not play from the Hard Drive while I record another
program. I have a real problem with this option missing. It will
let you timeshift which is like recording a program and watching
another from the HD. But if I record on Wed. Star-Trek and want to
watch it on Thr. I cannot watch it until after I record Surv and CSI.
That blows!!! that I cannot at least play a program from the HD if
it will cross over the repeated set recorded programs. For example
if I started watching Star-Trek at 6:30pm then I must stop at 7:00
to let the unit record Surv and CSI. So, I guess you can record a
program at any time but cannot watch it when you want to. This is a
pain sinice I have a show or 2 each day to record. I guess I need to
just use it as a real time pause system and live with that. I'll need to
pause the system at 7:00pm thr for a half hour before i sit down to watch
Surv and CSI.

Since the price for the unit is $1000.00 I think that I would tell people
that they sould wait until a unit with this option and maybe 2 turns.

just my 2 cents
I'll check into the HD Tivo when it comes out.

post #300 of 7202 Old 02-26-2004, 05:31 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Originally posted by Dan Kolton
I just added a splitter to my antenna lead so I could look at my Sony 34XBR910 tuner next to the LST-3410A tuner in the pip windows. With OTA standard 480i in 4x3 ratio, the Sony PQ wins by a lot. Both brighter and better defined. Remember, these are simultaneously on the screen, and, thus, the screen is set at all of the same parameters such as "Standard", etc. Makes me wonder!

This is not a valid way to compare the image quality. Sony does not use high quality electronics for all signals in the PIP mode.
Reply HDTV Recorders