LG LST-3410A Review and Discussion - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 7201 Old 03-10-2004, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can you go the other way - from dvhs to 3410?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 7201 Old 03-10-2004, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Phil -
You're using a Mits 2000, right? Would it be worth while using one of those instead of a JVC 3000 if I don't have a Mits TV? I can buy a Mits 2000 for $200, but I like the fact that the JVC can play directly w/o going thru the 3410A. I believe that Mits in general has vastly superior build quality than JVC, so I'm trying to weigh the pros & cons.
post #453 of 7201 Old 03-10-2004, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hyrax
Phil -
Can you timeshift while dumping to D-VHS?
Thanks

I have not tried this (yet).

Phil
post #454 of 7201 Old 03-10-2004, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by orbitzboy
Can you go the other way - from dvhs to 3410?

You can record from D-VHS to the 3410A HDD. I don't know if you can watch a live program at the same time.

Phil
post #455 of 7201 Old 03-10-2004, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hyrax
Phil -
You're using a Mits 2000, right? Would it be worth while using one of those instead of a JVC 3000 if I don't have a Mits TV? I can buy a Mits 2000 for $200, but I like the fact that the JVC can play directly w/o going thru the 3410A. I believe that Mits in general has vastly superior build quality than JVC, so I'm trying to weigh the pros & cons.

I have no experience with the JVC, but I can tell you my two Mits 2000's have performed perfectly. They were used originally in conjunction with the T165. Now, they can be used for archiving to D-VHS from the 3410A HDD. (You can't control the D-VHS for timer recording through the LG.) Yes, it would be nice to have component outs for direct playback, but the trade off is that you avoid ALL the problems of the JVC's that have been raged over in these forums.

As a bonus, The Mits does a great job of recording S-Video from your analog cable channels.

A year ago, the Mits cost me $500 each. $200 is a steal.

Phil
post #456 of 7201 Old 03-10-2004, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Phil -
ALL those JVC problems are a bit scary. I went through a number of JVC S-VHS VCR decks a few years ago before I discovered how much better Mits build quality is. I'm reluctant to give JVC another try.

Thanks again.
post #457 of 7201 Old 03-10-2004, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Phil, Hyrax

I have had the JVC 30K for almost 2 years and have used it for recording/playback at about 2hrs per day, and so far no problems. I have about 10 DTheater tapes that play perfectly except an occasional pixelation. I too would not have bought the 30K at the time if all the problems that were eventually coming in on the forum I read before considering buying it. The 40K seems to have much less complaints but there has been an issue with it and the firewire support from the LG. If that is only a specific unit's problem, then the 40K would be reasonable, although I doubt you can get it for less than $500. The D Theater movie quality is much better HD than any OTA HD broadcasts I've seen so far. I've not watched any live sports or Letterman in HD.
joe
post #458 of 7201 Old 03-10-2004, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

For those who asked:

1) You can dump to D-VHS while watching a different live program, but you cannot timeshift while doing this.

2) If recording from D-VHS to the 3410A HDD, you cannot watch a different program (live or recorded).

Phil
post #459 of 7201 Old 03-10-2004, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Phil -
Thanks for checking. At least the 3410A is consistant in this one program at a time behavior.
post #460 of 7201 Old 03-10-2004, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I am now waiting for my 3rd unit. First two had defects as I noted here. This will be my last try. After this I will ask for a refund. I love the unit too. That's what is so sad. If only this brightness thing would go away. Can't help thinking it has something to do with the Skip function which seems to key on brightness level changes to select how far to skip. It should not change brightness level in finite very visible steps while watching playbackor a broadcast at 1080i. S and composite do not show the anomaly only VGA.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #461 of 7201 Old 03-10-2004, 11:12 PM

For anyone who owns a Mac and is interested in one of these units ...

I hooked up my 3410A to my Apple G4 via a 4-pin to 6-pin firewire cable and the 3410A immediately recognized the firewire connection as "Apple Computer".

Running VirtualDVHS I am able to record live content or HDD stored content, AND I can play it back to the 3410A. The one problem I have though, is that I cannot monitor the content when I dub from the HDD. When I select DVHS from a recorded show on the Program List and then select the on-screen record button, the 3410A streams the selected content out just fine, but it reverts back to displaying live programming, instead of displaying the recorded show that I selected. ??? This makes no sense to me.

This may just be a problem with connections to Apple Computers. I do not have a DVHS VCR to compare to. Overall, I'm rather happy with this LG product. Finally being able to time-shift HDTV(even if it is only OTA) and then archive it to my Mac, has been well worth the investment to me.

Stephen
post #462 of 7201 Old 03-11-2004, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jlanzy
I have about 10 DTheater tapes that play perfectly except an occasional pixelation. joe

Joe,

Where do you buy your D-Theater tapes?

Murray Kerdman
post #463 of 7201 Old 03-11-2004, 04:07 PM
rrg
Advanced Member

My LST-3410A arrived a few days ago and I've had only a little time to play with it so far.

With the 300GB Maxtor drive recommended by Value Electronics, the unit shows "31:55" as the HD recording capacity when empty, which is comfortable even though not huge.

I was pleased to discover that my cable system (Comcast of Union County, NJ) does provide a number of unscrambled digital channels that the 3410A is able to tune.

But there's a big problem.

My cable system is HRC, and always has been for as long as I've had devices that cared about tuning the analog cable channels. When I tell the LG's "EZ Scan" to tune cable as HRC, it finds all the analog cable channels but no digital channels at all.

On a hunch I had it scan as STD instead of HRC. This time it found several digital channels but none of the analog ones.

If I leave the setting (i.e., the last "EZ Scan" done) on HRC, the unit can tune all the analog cable channels perfectly, and receives all the guide information for the cable system, but is unable to tune any of the QAM digitals. It finds none of them in a scan, nor does it ever find them if I patiently try to tune them manually using the "Ch Edit" menu.

If I leave the setting on STD, it finds the cable digitals (some with difficulty--there may be a signal strength issue) but no analog channels, and in particular there's no program guide because (presumably) the Gemstar data is sent on one of the analog channels that I can't receive.

It seems that I have to choose between using this unit for manual-only recordings of digital channels (OTA and cable), or using it as a recorder for analog cable and digital OTA together with the program guide. There doesn't seem to be any way of having the unit use HRC for analog cable but STD for digital cable.

The HD recording capability coupled with 1394 makes this unit invaluable, so I don't want to give it up. But as a PVR it has deficiencies already described at length in this thread, and it has so many lame idiosyncrasies that it's disappointing and slightly creepy.

Ron Gomes
post #464 of 7201 Old 03-11-2004, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Value Electronics left me hanging with a defective unit. If they're telling you to install a 300GB hard drive make sure you get them to sign an after sale contract that they will take it back-- if. like mine, it fails. Personally, I will never buy from them again.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #465 of 7201 Old 03-11-2004, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by knightingale
When I select DVHS from a recorded show on the Program List and then select the on-screen record button, the 3410A streams the selected content out just fine, but it reverts back to displaying live programming, instead of displaying the recorded show that I selected. ??? This makes no sense to me.

This may just be a problem with connections to Apple Computers. I do not have a DVHS VCR to compare to.

Stephen

Actually it's meant to work this way. You can dump to D-VHS while watching a live program. This is about the only time this unit can do two things at once, and others consider this a good feature.

True, you can't edit the dump, but you can do that on the HDD before sending to D-VHS (or Apple).

Phil
post #466 of 7201 Old 03-11-2004, 06:19 PM
jcg
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What is HRC mean? I have Comcast in N. CA and how would I find out if mine is HRC? I'm waiting for the next batch of 3410s to come in, and was hoping to get digital and analog cable channels.

John

Quote:

Originally posted by rrg
My LST-3410A arrived a few days ago and I've had only a little time to play with it so far.

With the 300GB Maxtor drive recommended by Value Electronics, the unit shows "31:55" as the HD recording capacity when empty, which is comfortable even though not huge.

I was pleased to discover that my cable system (Comcast of Union County, NJ) does provide a number of unscrambled digital channels that the 3410A is able to tune.

But there's a big problem.

My cable system is HRC, and always has been for as long as I've had devices that cared about tuning the analog cable channels. When I tell the LG's "EZ Scan" to tune cable as HRC, it finds all the analog cable channels but no digital channels at all.

On a hunch I had it scan as STD instead of HRC. This time it found several digital channels but none of the analog ones.

If I leave the setting (i.e., the last "EZ Scan" done) on HRC, the unit can tune all the analog cable channels perfectly, and receives all the guide information for the cable system, but is unable to tune any of the QAM digitals. It finds none of them in a scan, nor does it ever find them if I patiently try to tune them manually using the "Ch Edit" menu.

If I leave the setting on STD, it finds the cable digitals (some with difficulty--there may be a signal strength issue) but no analog channels, and in particular there's no program guide because (presumably) the Gemstar data is sent on one of the analog channels that I can't receive.

It seems that I have to choose between using this unit for manual-only recordings of digital channels (OTA and cable), or using it as a recorder for analog cable and digital OTA together with the program guide. There doesn't seem to be any way of having the unit use HRC for analog cable but STD for digital cable.

The HD recording capability coupled with 1394 makes this unit invaluable, so I don't want to give it up. But as a PVR it has deficiencies already described at length in this thread, and it has so many lame idiosyncrasies that it's disappointing and slightly creepy.

post #467 of 7201 Old 03-11-2004, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Murray ,

I sent you a PM.

joe
post #468 of 7201 Old 03-11-2004, 06:46 PM
rrg
Advanced Member

HRC is "Harmonically Related Carrier" and essentially means that the cable channel frequencies are slightly offset from the "standard" frequencies previously in use in the cable industry. I'm not a signal-processing guy but I gather that the frequencies chosen for HRC will tend to minimize certain types of visible distortions that are more likely to occur (in analog video) with the standard frequencies. Something like that, anyway.

A cable system is likely to be one of STD, HRC, or IRC (Incrementally Related Carrier) which is pretty much the same as STD for most channels. I'm not sure how to tell what yours is. In the old days (10-15 years ago) some VCRs would come with a three-position switch that you used to choose the cable channel scheme, and you would just try them all to see what worked best with the VCR's tuner. You could call the cable company and ask, I suppose.

I'm still hoping that someone here will point out something obvious that I've missed, or come up with some other workaround for this problem. I'm still puzzled by the tuning behavior that I've seen.

Ron Gomes
post #469 of 7201 Old 03-11-2004, 06:56 PM
rrg
Advanced Member

Murray was asking about use of the 3410A with recordings made using a 169Time/AVX1 device. This afternoon I dubbed to the 3410A a movie that had been recorded to D-VHS from HBO-HD on C-band using the 169Time-modified HDD-200 decoder and the AVX1. I've only spot-checked the dub on the LG but so far it looks perfect, no glitching, pixellation, distortion, or other decoding problems that I could see.

I haven't tried this yet with recordings sourced from the 169Time-modified DTC-100. Until I do I wouldn't assume that they'll necessarily work just because the C-band recording did. The C-band is the "master" feed; the bitstream uplinked by DirecTV (after decoding, re-encoding, and stat-multiplexing) is certainly different and might not behave the same way.

Ron Gomes
post #470 of 7201 Old 03-11-2004, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rrg
Murray was asking about use of the 3410A with recordings made using a 169Time/AVX1 device. This afternoon I dubbed to the 3410A a movie that had been recorded to D-VHS from HBO-HD on C-band using the 169Time-modified HDD-200 decoder and the AVX1. I've only spot-checked the dub on the LG but so far it looks perfect, no glitching, pixellation, distortion, or other decoding problems that I could see.

I haven't tried this yet with recordings sourced from the 169Time-modified DTC-100. Until I do I wouldn't assume that they'll necessarily work just because the C-band recording did. The C-band is the "master" feed; the bitstream uplinked by DirecTV (after decoding, re-encoding, and stat-multiplexing) is certainly different and might not behave the same way.

Ron

That's very interesting.

Pleasse do try playing a recording from your D-VHS over FireWire with both your DTC-100 and AVX-1 attahched AVX-1>DTC-100>JVC 30K>3410, and, let us know how it works.

Also, if you time try to dub to the 3410A a movie that had been recorded to D-VHS from HBO-HD on DirecTV, and, let us know how it works too.

Murray Kerdman
post #471 of 7201 Old 03-12-2004, 08:57 AM

Liked: 87
Ron, have you been able to get the 3410a to record directly from an HDD-200/AVX-1 stream? I have not been successful. I have no doubt that he 3410a will record any valid stream sent by the 30000U, but I would prefer to go directly from the HDD-200 and eliminate the 30000U middle-man.

I've tried the
AVX-1<-->HDD-200<-->3410a connection path
and the
AVX-1<-->3410a<-->HDD-200 connection path

and neither one has worked. I've have to get another 4-pin to 6-pin 1394 cable to try the AVX-1 in the middle.

The funny thing is every so often it recognizes that I have a 169time device hooked-up but then won't act on the device. Most of the time I get the "Initializing 1394 device" message and nothing happens.
post #472 of 7201 Old 03-12-2004, 09:03 AM

And now for my next 3410a issue...

I'm trying to get the 3410a to timer record off the AV1 or AV2 inputs. I use the VCR+ menu with the 3410a set to the AV1 input source. The menu screen to set the timer appears normally. Once I press "select", I get an "Invalid Source AV1, AV2, HDD for Recording" message. The schedule gets set, however.

With the 3410a off, at the scheduled time the 3410a starts, the "Invalid Source" message reappears and recording does not start. Sometimes AV1 is selected sometimes it is not selected. At the end of the scheduled time, the 3410a asks if I want it to shutoff. One minute after that message appears the 3410a shuts-off.

I am using an only-OTA configuration. I would really like to eliminate recording to tape, which is why I would like to timer record off the composite/analog audio inputs.

I must have something setup wrong. LG is researching the issue and will be calling back. Has anyone been able to timer record with the AV1 or AV2 inputs?
post #473 of 7201 Old 03-12-2004, 09:06 AM

And, my final 3410a issue for today...

One of our local DTV channels is 19-1. When auto-tuning the station comes in as 19-1 with excellent video but no audio. In the guide, this station shows up as 20-1 (the analog station is 20).

How do I tell the guide that the station is really on 19-1? Can I set a schedule recording from the guide and then change the channel to 19-1? Is the lack of audio likely bad PSIP data?
post #474 of 7201 Old 03-12-2004, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Just picked up an open box Mits HD1100 DVHS last night. I don't have the LST-3410A yet, but am wondering if the Mits will work with it for archival purposes. I've read the 3410's manual and it says it will work with a Mits 1000 DVHS player - I'm guessing that it's a typo. I've also read this entire thread and seen the reports of success with the Mits HD2000.

Has anyone connected the 3410 to a Mits 1100 DVHS?

Thanks,
Reagan

The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.
post #475 of 7201 Old 03-12-2004, 09:10 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 29
Quote:

Originally posted by alk3997
And, my final 3410a issue for today...

One of our local DTV channels is 19-1. When auto-tuning the station comes in as 19-1 with excellent video but no audio. In the guide, this station shows up as 20-1 (the analog station is 20).

How do I tell the guide that the station is really on 19-1? Can I set a schedule recording from the guide and then change the channel to 19-1? Is the lack of audio likely bad PSIP data?

I am guessing you are in houston. I am able to tune the station in without problems, but the guide is always wrong.
post #476 of 7201 Old 03-12-2004, 09:21 AM

Yes, I'm in the Houston area. Are you getting audio today when manually tuning? How do you setup for recording UPN shows?
post #477 of 7201 Old 03-12-2004, 10:36 AM

Quote:

How do I tell the guide that the station is really on 19-1?

I had a similar problem with an ABC station. I just remapped the channel in the Channel Editor. Hit the TV Guide button on the remote, go to Setup, go to Change channel display, scroll down to the channel you want to edit, and just punch in the new channel number. Now when you select the channel in your guide, it will tune in to channel 19-1, instead of 20-1.

Stephen
post #478 of 7201 Old 03-12-2004, 10:53 AM

Thank you!
post #479 of 7201 Old 03-12-2004, 02:10 PM

Quote:

And now for my next 3410a issue...

I'm trying to get the 3410a to timer record off the AV1 or AV2 inputs.

I am using an only-OTA configuration. I would really like to eliminate recording to tape, which is why I would like to timer record off the composite/analog audio inputs.

I must have something setup wrong. LG is researching the issue and will be calling back. Has anyone been able to timer record with the AV1 or AV2 inputs?

I would suspect that in order to timer record off the AV1 or AV2 inputs you would need to be set up as Cable. In theory, the "reason" for the AV inputs and scheduled recording would be if you are using a cable box.
post #480 of 7201 Old 03-12-2004, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

The first true failure of my 3410A appeared tonight:

ALL Guide info has disappeared. Gone.

It's set up for OTA only and everything has worked fine up to now. Recorded programs are still present. Channel memory is still there. But no Guide info.

My indoor antennas were positioned where the local PBS station is clearly received. (There has been no previous problem even when this was not the case.)

I set a program manually to record tonight and turned the unit off. The Guide indicator immediately turned on. A minute later, the green "reserved" light went out.

I'll see what happens later...

Phil
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page