LG LST-3410A Review and Discussion - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 7206 Old 03-30-2004, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have both cable (analog via set top box Comcast) and OTA connected and for the first week the guide worked perfectly, then one day when I turned it on the guide read that it picked up 3 different line ups for my zip code and none corresponded to my channels. I used the guide to correct all the cable channels, the OTA digitals were correct though so I left them alone. The next day the same message appeared and when I checked the channel numbers the guide incorrectly assigned the channels again overnight. After playing this dog and pony show for several days and ready to make a $999 football out of this thing I tried a different zip code ,in the set up, of neighboring areas and the first one which was the zip code just east of me downloaded the wrong channels again so I tried one to the north and ba-da-bing the right line up except for one ota digital which was listed as my cable's digital station number which I don't get because I don't subscribe to the HD service. I guess this is a Gemstar issue rather than LG hardware but at least I only have one channel which is the local ota ABC digital to re do instead of all of them.
Other than the loud audio pops occasionally when playing back a dvhs tape through the firewire the unit gets me HD/SD and analog NTSC recording/timeshifting in one box. With the new 400GB hdd from hitachi next month or so it should eliminate all timeshifting onto tape, finally.
joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 7206 Old 03-30-2004, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by jlanzy
loud audio pops occasionally when playing back a dvhs tape through the firewire the unit
joe

Joe

What DVHS deck do you have hooked up to your 3410?

Murray Kerdman
post #633 of 7206 Old 03-30-2004, 08:29 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Originally posted by Phloyd
Hi there!

Can anyone confirm that you can move content from DVHS tape to the HDD?

Secondly, can you move DTCP/DTheater content to the HDD? This is not essential but could be useful for home theater demo purposes

Cheers!
DAve.

Yes. I have moved DVHS from my JVC 30k to and from the 3410A. You cannot move copy protected material to the HDD.
post #634 of 7206 Old 03-30-2004, 08:33 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

... Other than the loud audio pops occasionally when playing back a dvhs tape through the firewire the unit gets me HD/SD and analog NTSC recording/timeshifting in one box. ...

The loud audio pops may be caused by the combination of your processor and the LG STB. My B&K had fairly frequent pops. An old Technics decoder had dropouts and a Krell Showcase has no problems at all.
post #635 of 7206 Old 03-30-2004, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Murray,

I have the JVC 30K. I think I'm blessed with this unit, after reading the forum and so many had problems. I've had it for 1.5 years and use it daily for about 2-3hrs for timeshifting and playback, as well as for several DTheater tapes, and so far no problems. I haven't downloaded from 3410 or the reverse yet but so far I'm happy with the combination. I have some timeshifted analog programs copied on the DVHS tapes and playing them back thru the LG at 1080i does not look as good as thru the dvhs component out to my Faroudja scaled to 1360x1024, but still very watchable. Of course the Faroudja was over 3 times the LG and only deinterlaces and scales.
joe
post #636 of 7206 Old 03-30-2004, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Umr,

I playback the audio from DVHS tapes thru the firewire to optical out to my Lexicon DC2. Has anyone else used this set up thru a Lexicon and gotten these annoying pops? I think I'm going to bypass the 3410 altogether and go optical out DVHS to Lexicon, since I mostly use the DVHS component out video to my scaler rather than thru the firewire. Hey what an idea, then I could record while watching a taped timeshifted program, instead of like tonight, had to stop watching the last 10 minutes of Angel so I could shut off the LG scheduled to record 24 Hours.
joe
post #637 of 7206 Old 03-30-2004, 09:27 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

jlanzy,

I have not read of anyone using a DC2 in that configuration, but that is the configuration that caused my B&K problems. The audio from the 30k had no such problems. It is also higher quality for D-Theater tapes than the firewire audio.
post #638 of 7206 Old 03-30-2004, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

umr,

looks like I'm shopping for another optical cable.
joe
post #639 of 7206 Old 03-30-2004, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Murray,

I have the JVC 30K. I think I'm blessed with this unit, after reading the forum and so many had problems. I've had it for 1.5 years and use it daily for about 2-3hrs for timeshifting and playback, as well as for several DTheater tapes, and so far no problems. I haven't downloaded from 3410 or the reverse yet but so far I'm happy with the combination. I have some timeshifted analog programs copied on the DVHS tapes and playing them back thru the LG at 1080i does not look as good as thru the dvhs component out to my Faroudja scaled to 1360x1024, but still very watchable. Of course the Faroudja was over 3 times the LG and only deinterlaces and scales.
joe

Joe

What kind of display do you have?

The 3410 DVI output of a DVHS or D-Theater tape is considerably better than the 30K's component output on my DLP projector.

I bought a refurb 30K and have had very good luck in the 25-40 hours of use to date

Murray Kerdman
post #640 of 7206 Old 03-30-2004, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Murray,

I have the old fashioned analog CRT, a Sony G70. It only has composite, s-video and RGBHV. The improved video that dvi offers has me itching for an upgrade to digital, but since this projector resolves up to 1600x1200, I want to wait for an affordable, ie sub $15k, 1920x1080 with at least close black levels to my 8" crt, who doesn't? I have a feeling that may be at least 4 years away. Well at least that gives me a savings plan time frame.
joe
post #641 of 7206 Old 03-31-2004, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Murray,

I have the old fashioned analog CRT, a Sony G70. It only has composite, s-video and RGBHV. The improved video that dvi offers has me itching for an upgrade to digital, but since this projector resolves up to 1600x1200, I want to wait for an affordable, ie sub $15k, 1920x1080 with at least close black levels to my 8" crt, who doesn't? I have a feeling that may be at least 4 years away. Well at least that gives me a savings plan time frame.
joe

Joe

With the rapid advances in micro displays, you may find it will take less than 4 years to get such a PJ for under $15K.

Most people want that same PJ for under $5K.

Murray Kerdman
post #642 of 7206 Old 03-31-2004, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by jcg
What kind of lockups were you getting? I may be in the same boat as over the last couple days I've had a number of lockups were the video just freezes, but the audio continues. Only option is to power cycle the 3410 to get it back. I have until next Sat to return my unit for a full refund or I can just get a replacement.

John

The lockups I got happened under a variety of circumstances. Don't remember them all, but once while I was in Guide edit mode - moving OTA HD channels up from the bottom of the listing. Once or twice during playback - screen video frozen, don't remember about the sound. Once when I had set it to record an hour program it just kept on recording all night until it filled the available disk space. Quite a few other occasions. In each case, as I remember the only button on the remote control that would do anything was power on/off. However even then, the system would power back up without the correct boot up - there would be no "hello" on the display on the front of the unit, etc. and other controls were still non-functional. Only unplugging the unit, for a few seconds would bring it back up, and then the time would be wrong - and generally un-resetable...
post #643 of 7206 Old 03-31-2004, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Is anybody getting any video glitches and audio dropouts while Time Shifting that are not present in the live stream?

Murray Kerdman
post #644 of 7206 Old 03-31-2004, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I guess this is a Gemstar issue rather than LG hardware

Yup. All real problems I've had are Guide related. The tuner is great. Compared to the T165, this unit is a pleasure to use. (LG did screw up by allowing the power off code to shut down a timer recording.)

The Gemstar Guide is just not ready for prime time. You never know what it's going to do. It either resets and rebuilds itself, or undoes my channel remapping at random intervals. It has also locked up three times with a blank yellow screen, requiring unplugging the unit.

Of course, Gemstar says you have to talk to the DVR manufacturer about Guide problems. LG seems to have done a pretty good job with the hardware. I wonder what they think of Gemstar. Did they have any other choices? I'll bet most of their support calls are due to Guide problems.

Phil
post #645 of 7206 Old 03-31-2004, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mkerdman
Is anybody getting any video glitches and audio dropouts while Time Shifting that are not present in the live stream?

No. This was a constant problem with the T165, but not with the 3410A.

Phil
post #646 of 7206 Old 03-31-2004, 08:51 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

I just talked to LG. They have a firmware upgrade if you STB picture is freezing. Mine has started to do strange things.

- Powers up no picture. Shows channel though with no signal. Front display show time and reserved, but no info on hard drive. Unplugging unit is the only solution.

- Guide is not accessible. Powering down does not work. Guide will mysteriously work later.

- Scheduled recordings that require guide data are frequently not firing off.

LG is going to exchange my unit, but I suspect this is not hardware related. I am guessing the Guide data is getting corrupted and the unit does not handle the errors properly. Mine started doing these things after a power failure. The unit was off at the time and I have it on a surge suppressor. Maybe it was downloading guide data. No other devices were affected.
post #647 of 7206 Old 03-31-2004, 10:54 AM

Mine has also just started hanging up. When I turn it on most of the time it never gets past "Hello". The few times it has I can see the guide but there is no response from any of the front panel or remote buttons. It worked perfectly for the first 3 weeks.

Gues it's time to give LG a call.

-Skip
post #648 of 7206 Old 03-31-2004, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jcg
How do I tell if I have multipath?

The easiest way is to look at an analogue NTSC signal coming from the same transmitter. If there is a strong signal with lot of ghosting, you have a multipath problem.

Witha digital signal you won't see ghosting, but the ghosts cause interference with the digital reception that can cause it to decode incorrectly.

Cheers!
DAve.
post #649 of 7206 Old 03-31-2004, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Guys, I had the same problem that my 3410 would lock up, no guide and so forth. It happened for the first time last weekend. I called v/e thinking that the unit needs replacing and if they knew if there was hard reset. What LG has told them is to unplug the unit for 10-12 hours. I did that and now everything is working like it is suppose to. I hope it stays that way.
post #650 of 7206 Old 03-31-2004, 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by CKNA
What LG has told them is to unplug the unit for 10-12 hours. I did that and now everything is working like it is suppose to. I hope it stays that way.

To me this sounds like a work-around to a problem that I'm not sure they have acknowledged. I'm not sure that I'm comfortable with this as a long term "solution."

I'm on my 2nd unit, which up to now seems to be solid. However, I plan to keep notes on any hangups I have for the next 45 days of my warantee period, and push for a real solution before the warantee expires if the lockup problems appear on this unit.
post #651 of 7206 Old 03-31-2004, 07:56 PM
jcg
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
How do you tell what version firmware you have on the 3410A? Is the only way to upgrade firmware to send in the unit? I have until Sat to return mine for a full refund, so it's probably easier to do that and tell the store to call me once they get updated units back (then I can go buy a "new" one).

John

Quote:

Originally posted by umr
I just talked to LG. They have a firmware upgrade if you STB picture is freezing. Mine has started to do strange things.

- Powers up no picture. Shows channel though with no signal. Front display show time and reserved, but no info on hard drive. Unplugging unit is the only solution.

- Guide is not accessible. Powering down does not work. Guide will mysteriously work later.

- Scheduled recordings that require guide data are frequently not firing off.

LG is going to exchange my unit, but I suspect this is not hardware related. I am guessing the Guide data is getting corrupted and the unit does not handle the errors properly. Mine started doing these things after a power failure. The unit was off at the time and I have it on a surge suppressor. Maybe it was downloading guide data. No other devices were affected.

post #652 of 7206 Old 03-31-2004, 09:32 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

The version information is availabe in the menu. I believe you look at the last item under troubleshooting and press the right arrow or select. Your plan sounds fool proof to me.
post #653 of 7206 Old 04-01-2004, 07:25 AM
jcg
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
OK, thanks. My version info is SW=MP1.12, HW=10.4 & Date=Feb 03, 2004.

I've been waiting for our store to get these in and they just got them last week, so it seem odd that my date on the unit is more than 6 weeks prior to them getting the unit. Maybe I got an old version, but wondering if others have newer versions that this?

John

Quote:

Originally posted by umr
The version information is availabe in the menu. I believe you look at the last item under troubleshooting and press the right arrow or select. Your plan sounds fool proof to me.

post #654 of 7206 Old 04-01-2004, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

I also am starting to get some of the lock-up problems. I call them the "long, slow, 'good-bye' ".

I'm going to observe and document my problems a little further before . calling LG. This might give them a little more time to come up with a fix.

I'm really wondering if this has anything to do with the "twisted" boxes that rock on a flat table. I had to loosen all the box screws and let the set rest on all fours and retighten the screws. I can't imagine the boxes being assembled crookedly but I can imagine a cargo container taking a dive somewhere between Korea and here.

Is anyone having problems with a box that was true when delivered?

Does anyone HAVE a box that was true when delivered?

Are the replacement boxes true?

Lew
post #655 of 7206 Old 04-01-2004, 07:45 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by lewlew
...Does anyone HAVE a box that was true when delivered?

Mine is.
post #656 of 7206 Old 04-01-2004, 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Skipm
Mine has also just started hanging up. When I turn it on most of the time it never gets past "Hello". The few times it has I can see the guide but there is no response from any of the front panel or remote buttons. It worked perfectly for the first 3 weeks.
-Skip

Had mine for only 2 weeks when it acted the same way.
I received my replacement last night and it works fine now.
The SN# was that same so I guess that they just upgraded the
software part. My old unit would not power up unless you power
on and off 15-20 times. The last time it came up it said that there was
no harddrive in the unit.

But i have a question on the timeshift on the new unit it
shows the starting time and ending time of 1 hour it on each end of the
time line 4:07------------------------------5:07 example. It will
record over that 1 hour and you can move back to the start of
a timeshift recorded for more then 1 hour. But it will only store the last
30 minutes of the program once you end timeshift.

My old software did not have this start time and end time showing and
it would show all the programed record as 1 timeline. And I think
that it would save the whole timeshift record program, example if I
timeshift 2.5 hours that the program list would be 2.5 not the 30 minutes now.

Is it just me or has anyone work different?

Also turn off the unit for 10-12 hours Thats nuts............
What is LG thinking... Love this unit I just hope it continues
to work without a problem.
post #657 of 7206 Old 04-01-2004, 09:19 AM

Just got unit in today from v/e, only $899 there now. Got it shipped overnight to be able to play with it this weekend when the NCAA's are on.
I will be able to have a good camparison with picture quality compared to Brighthouse. Hopefully I can get it up and running tonight so I can tape ER while I'm watching W/O A Trace.
post #658 of 7206 Old 04-01-2004, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mstanl
Had mine for only 2 weeks when it acted the same way.
I received my replacement last night and it works fine now.
The SN# was that same so I guess that they just upgraded the
software part. My old unit would not power up unless you power
on and off 15-20 times. The last time it came up it said that there was
no harddrive in the unit.

But i have a question on the timeshift on the new unit it
shows the starting time and ending time of 1 hour it on each end of the
time line 4:07------------------------------5:07 example. It will
record over that 1 hour and you can move back to the start of
a timeshift recorded for more then 1 hour. But it will only store the last
30 minutes of the program once you end timeshift.

My old software did not have this start time and end time showing and
it would show all the programed record as 1 timeline. And I think
that it would save the whole timeshift record program, example if I
timeshift 2.5 hours that the program list would be 2.5 not the 30 minutes now.

Is it just me or has anyone work different?

Also turn off the unit for 10-12 hours Thats nuts............
What is LG thinking... Love this unit I just hope it continues
to work without a problem.

Please post your firmware revision, so we can see if it is different.
post #659 of 7206 Old 04-01-2004, 01:13 PM

How do we check to see what firmware we have ?
post #660 of 7206 Old 04-01-2004, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

JFerg,

Good to hear from you again.

Can you tell us what 1.14 is designed to fix or improve?

tia

Lew
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page