LG LST-3410A Review and Discussion - Page 243 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2016, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jan J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Waynesville, NC
Posts: 1,519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Lucked out again! where the TV base is sitting (Left Front of 3410a) --- there is no ventilation slots there, so the TV is not blocking any vents...

I'm presently at 62 recordings 19 hours of HD recording time left... continuing on with programmed recordings...

If someone want to try something... a test.... This should not do anything un-toward to the unit... I'm just not able to do the test I'll describe below right now...
TEST:
Un-Plug AC Power from unit... tape something on the on/off button so that it will always be pressed in.... Like a stuck On Button.

I already know that if you plug in AC cord with this button permanently enabled button, that it will power up any time you plug in the AC cord... You can test this if you want....

Here's the test I'd like you to do:

After it powers up, program a short timed recording via VCR+ and watch to see it happen...

I know it will record....

What I want to know is: After recording is complete, does it POWER DOWN, or continue staying ON after the recording is finished? Try it a second time (Programmed recording), and then try a Manual recording. After it manually records for a minute or so, hit the stop button.. Now do each type recording--- Programmed or manual (Smash) recording(s) react to the 'stuck Power On/Off Button at the end of the programmed or manually canceled (Stop Button) recording?

And also, please confirm firmware version of 3410A

Thank You

Looking for a 1939 Indian Motocycle

Last edited by Jan J; 01-03-2016 at 07:27 PM.
Jan J is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-04-2016, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jan J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Waynesville, NC
Posts: 1,519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan J View Post
Lucked out again! where the TV base is sitting (Left Front of 3410a) --- there is no ventilation slots there, so the TV is not blocking any vents...

I'm presently at 62 recordings 19 hours of HD recording time left... continuing on with programmed recordings...

If someone want to try something... a test.... This should not do anything un-toward to the unit... I'm just not able to do the test I'll describe below right now...
TEST:
Un-Plug AC Power from unit... tape something on the on/off button so that it will always be pressed in.... Like a stuck On Button.

I already know that if you plug in AC cord with this button permanently enabled button, that it will power up any time you plug in the AC cord... You can test this if you want....

Here's the test I'd like you to do:

After it powers up, program a short timed recording via VCR+ and watch to see it happen...

I know it will record....

What I want to know is: After recording is complete, does it POWER DOWN, or continue staying ON after the recording is finished? Try it a second time (Programmed recording), and then try a Manual recording. After it manually records for a minute or so, hit the stop button.. Now do each type recording--- Programmed or manual (Smash) recording(s) react to the 'stuck Power On/Off Button at the end of the programmed or manually canceled (Stop Button) recording?

And also, please confirm firmware version of 3410A

Thank You
Over 70 recordings.... 9 hours left to fill... Programmed a few more for today...
Unit has been 100% successful with recordings, short or long...
HDD Graphic now shows 'full': many white, 3 orange, 2 red.

Once it is finished, I'll take a picture of screen, and calculate how many minutes it recorded.
Did more temperature testing last night... I'm not un-happy with temperature of unit...

If the test procedure indicated in prior post is successful, I'm planning on soldering 2 stake posts on back of On/Off board, and place a stake pin jumper on them, effectively shorting out the On/Off button. I looked at the schematics again, and this would seem to be the easiest and most successful way of making the unit power on when it senses AC Power, and stay on.

Again, that depends on the outcome of the test procedure indicated in above posting.

My reasoning for all this testing is because In a couple months I hope to add another SSD Raid 0 to my video edit system, and that will free up another 1TB Spinning drive and 128Gb SSD drive, and that retired spinning drive could put in a second 3410a.. (128Gb SSD will be placed in a USBV3/V2 enclosure to be used as a shirt-pocket thumb drive).

There is a 2nd reason for this modification:
Wife was mentioning at one time about how nice it would be to have enough space that if she encounters a good program, to just leave it on the DVR..... She hasn't mentioned that recently, but this mod should certainly allow it... She asked if that could be done, but with what I knew about the drive system of the 3410a it didn't lend itself for this type of operation...

So if IDE to SATA converter is $5, and USB Enclosure is $10, and (Retired) drives are free.... I'm just 'stirring the pot' re-using existing hardware.....

!


Last recording (5 hours) is in progress... Should have 1 hour to spare.. Then will start adding up recordings, and taking pictures of the amounts...

Looking for a 1939 Indian Motocycle

Last edited by Jan J; 01-04-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Jan J is offline  
Old 01-04-2016, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jan J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Waynesville, NC
Posts: 1,519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ok... I'm in the middle of the last recording.... As you see it has 69 recordings on this drive....

Setting for HD was set to maximum.

If I add up the record times of the recordings, I'm measuring more than what the (then Empty) drive told me the drive would hold... I have spot checked a couple playbacks and they are OK, not dropping any frames.... Who is correct (Space remaining, or minutes recorded per clip) I do not know...

Some interesting data:
When I let it power off and up again, success of power up and successful record ceased in a few tens of files, totaling ~7 hours.

However, once I left the unit powered up, and left those recordings on the drive, I programmed in 59 recordings, and the unit successfully recorded 100% of the recordings requested of it (Until it ran out of HDD Space), and this change to power up 100% success rating occurred after there was 726 minutes (12 hours) already recorded on the drive.. (and when it would 100% fail if powered off in between scheduled recordings).

I did not attempt to see what would happen if I tried to record past the end of free space on the drive.

I am absolutely happy with the way it's working now.... and once wife has one of the 2 units 'empty' of recordings, I'll swap it out with the instructions to leave it powered up at all times... I'm considering revising my stake header comment with a SPST switch, so I would not have to open it up again to change state of that switch...
1/5/2016 addendum: Last recording finished late last PM... Temperature of unit is slightly less warm than yesterday... Hope to hit a Radio Shack later today....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DVR.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	1161890  

Looking for a 1939 Indian Motocycle

Last edited by Jan J; 01-05-2016 at 04:22 AM.
Jan J is offline  
Old 01-05-2016, 09:45 AM
ebo
Advanced Member
 
ebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Delmar NY
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan J View Post
If I add up the record times of the recordings, I'm measuring more than what the (then Empty) drive told me the drive would hold... I have spot checked a couple playbacks and they are OK, not dropping any frames.... Who is correct (Space remaining, or minutes recorded per clip) I do not know...
Minutes recorded per clip is more accurate. Space remaining, reported as time remaining for recording (with separate times for HD and SD recordings), is a conservative guesstimate that assumes a certain bit rate for each. Actual bit rates vary and are usually lower, so you get more recording time than it predicts. Better than getting less.
ebo is offline  
Old 01-05-2016, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Stanton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Plano, TX USA
Posts: 2,858
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post
Minutes recorded per clip is more accurate. Space remaining, reported as time remaining for recording (with separate times for HD and SD recordings), is a conservative guesstimate that assumes a certain bit rate for each. Actual bit rates vary and are usually lower, so you get more recording time than it predicts. Better than getting less.
And sometimes a lot more recording time than you think. After recording a couple of these sub-channel Johnny Carson shows, my SD space estimate is around 30 hours; based on what a show actually consumes, I think I could get at least 5 times that (and maybe as much as 200 hours).

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2)
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's (R/L F/R), (2) Polk Monitor 4's (TM), Polk CS300 center channel
Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray
LG 65EF9500 4K OLED
Stanton is offline  
Old 01-05-2016, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jan J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Waynesville, NC
Posts: 1,519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Absolute 100% Success!!!

Well. This unit is now finished and ready for service!

I soldered two wires across the on/off button in the front panel, and ran wires to the center of the chassis punchout where the fan would have gone, (had their been one), drilled a hole, and added a SPST off/on switch... This way I can short out the power button to force an 'always on' status, or, open the switch and have it work as it came from the manufacturer.... With the switch shorted out, the unit ALWAYS POWERS UP the moment it sees AC POWER. Remote can still power it down, so this mod is a bit superfluous...

Upon powerup, and setting the clock, You must wait..... A Full (within 1 hour of space remaining) 1TB 7200RPM Sata Drive with IDE to Sata adapter takes between 5 & 6 minutes before the HDD Graphic is seen on the control panel, which is far longer than the 1 minute power up a programmed recording gives it and kills any idea of using this in any way other than "Always On" condition........


Once the HDD Graphic is seen by the control panel, you can program a recording, or 'smash' record, and when the recording is finished, (or, you hit stop) the unit stays powered up.... and the recording is immediately seen by the Program List button...

Unit now has Less than an hour remaining, with 73 recordings on it....totaling over 7900 minutes!

Wow! What a long and twisted path we have followed with this device!

I'm waiting for wife to empty one of the two units she uses to be 'emptied', and this unit will go 'online'.

Looking for a 1939 Indian Motocycle

Last edited by Jan J; 01-06-2016 at 04:20 AM.
Jan J is offline  
Old 01-13-2016, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jan J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Waynesville, NC
Posts: 1,519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Starting in on 2nd unit with 500 GB Momentus XT Drive (SATA Hybrid Seagate Laptop drive).

Had to replace C129 as it was stuck in a "Hello" boot loop... (wasn't drive, was C129).

Testing (With New C129 AND Sata Drive!)

Looking for a 1939 Indian Motocycle
Jan J is offline  
Old 01-14-2016, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jan J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Waynesville, NC
Posts: 1,519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well, That didn't take long!
Momentus XT drive doesn't work well with 3410a & IDE/SATA converter...
Playback is not reliable.. Recording says it's ok,
Appears to be Drive not converter, (I'm back on IDE drive and it works Fine)
Anything for a laugh

The Momentus XT is back in a USBV2/V3 ext enclosure... and working... As is IDE drive in 3410a

The hoped for large SSD Raid 0 upgrade (To Free up more 1TB Sata Drives, never happened (That's why I tried the Momentus XT Drive in the 3410a), and if that didn't slow things down, the first SSD Raid 0 is temporarily sidetracked, as one of two drives are going back to MFG for a "One Time" exchange so both Drives will have the same hardware/firmware... All this will set me back a couple many weeks to a month, at least, and the company (SanDisk) says that their Ultra II series is not for raids, as they can have dis-similar hardware and firmware versions... which kills my budget for this next raid 0 (to free up Drives for 3410a) for the edit system.

Looking for a 1939 Indian Motocycle

Last edited by Jan J; 01-14-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Jan J is offline  
Old 01-16-2016, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jan J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Waynesville, NC
Posts: 1,519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
After the issue with Momentus XT drive, I had to try another.... Freed up a 1TB SATA Samsung Laptop drive (5400RPM)...
That seems to be work fine in 3410a.... (Same 3410a, Same IDE/SATA converter, different hard drive....
Ongoing...

Looking for a 1939 Indian Motocycle
Jan J is offline  
Old 01-16-2016, 08:21 PM
Senior Member
 
joecass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Queens, New York City
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan J View Post
After the issue with Momentus XT drive, I had to try another.... Freed up a 1TB SATA Samsung Laptop drive (5400RPM)...
That seems to be work fine in 3410a.... (Same 3410a, Same IDE/SATA converter, different hard drive....
Ongoing...

Surely an amazing amount of experimentation.... but using a laptop hdd is something I'd never even think of. Also, wondering what type of TV programming you and your wife watch that you need multiple machines and a huge amount of hard drive space ?? I must be in the minority here somewhere, I record about 30 to 35 hours of HD shows per week from the typical Broadcast OTA channel. My non-LG machines with 250gb to 320gb capacities are never filled up.
joecass is offline  
Old 01-17-2016, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jan J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Waynesville, NC
Posts: 1,519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Sorry for being so 'wordy', but this explanation is lengthy...
Wife is a "Video Junky" and Big into Time Shifting.... Me.... I used to do Video as a profession, so I just tried to keep one step ahead of Wife's requests!! !
In NC, The CableBox DVR can only record 2 programs simultaneously, and you can't watch a 3rd when both recordings are HD.
In Illinois it was more complex, because we didn't have a Cablebox DVR, only the LG's....and ALL Cable QAM was Encrypted. This forced wife to be more accurate with her programming and playback timings. And Encrypted QAM forces me, in order to Time Shift, to decode QAM to NTSC, run through a Video Processor to strip Line 22, and re-modulate video cleanly on CH 68, where the Cablebox feed could then be recorded by LG's. But In Illinois due to more OTA Channels (30+), Therefore, we had 4 LG's operational...
Here in Mountains of NC, It's Simpler because we have a Cablebox DVR and the Cable Feeds are Wide Open QAM, but more complicated as only some OTA Networks are available...

Illinois or NC, I see the following each evening:

She will Peruse the TV Guide and her "Clip-Board" for whatever day she 'left off' with her programming yesterday... Determining which programs she wants to see...
On a Clipboard, she has a series of columns, with program on far left, and DVR's listed across the page, with Watch column on far right.
As programs fill up the page, the can be 'one time' or 'reoccurring' and indicate where they will go: CableBox (can support 2), or DVR1, DVR2, DVR3. or Watch. (Which depends on CableBox recording status)... This also includes playback status of each DVR.
At any time, she can glance at her clipboard and can state the status of the cablebox, cablebox DVRS, LG's, OTA, ROKU, BlueRay Player, or..... Feed from the Video Edit System in the Computer Room, and also schedule time for 'playbacks'.
Here in NC it gets crazy-er because the same program can be either: HD OTA (13.1 ABC) or HD Cable (213 ABC), But not all Networks are OTA, yet we have 2 sets of PBS OTA. ROKU was in Illinois only briefly, but Blue-Ray and Edit System Playback capability was there, and also limits DVR Playback..
Once the programs are slated to be recorded, she then examines the state of DVRs for Playback... She could be recording 4 HD programs, and watching on OTA, or Cablebox, or more likely DVR Playback.... In order to Play back a program she can't be recording on it...
It begins to look like a War Plan at times, and I leave it to Her for controlling access to the items.... Only She Knows what's going on with the Hardware.....
Now if She gets to the point where She can't get it all done with 2 LG's and 2 Cablebos DVR's, and OTA or Cablebox viewing... That's where the "Jan---I need to record "________", and I can't, because: "They are all in use"; "They are nearly full, and I haven't got to view it yet"; "I'm waiting for the series to finish, before viewing"; "Because".......
And that's when I start getting out the single line drawings of the feeds to determine what to do next.

Prior to HD & LG's, Wife (in IL) did multiple VHS Decks... She is an Expert in Time Shifting.... We had 5 VCR's (One Spare).. and 2 cable feeds & 1 OTA Feeds to each TV.... (Separate Cable Feed for VCR playbacks on CH3, 4, 8, 18, 68 if I remember--it was a blur back then trying to keep up with requests)

Wife has also said things that sent me off on projects..... For example, a couple years ago, she recorded some Short Exercise Programs, aand commented she'd like to keep them... I suggested she re-record them on unit with largest hard drive (330Gb) and just never delete them... She asked then what if it was a long program...... And you know where that led to!!!!

Because we have Wide Open QAM here, and some OTA channels, The 3 LG's are in constant use.... The 4th is available for me to do 'experiments' with.....

At this point.... She has the first 1TB Sata unit as DVR1. A 250GB IDE unit as DVR2. In Bedroom is the 1TB Laptop SATA under test, (which will move to DVR2 when deemed OK). The 330GB IDE unit (with Exercise programs) will eventually reside in Bedroom, where she does her exercises....

And I'll get the 250GB IDE (Computer Hard Drive, not Quickview) to 'Experiment' with--

At this point, to simplify things, ALL 3410a's are left ON..... and never turned off...
And I don't touch any of the units that are "On Line" without permission.... ! !
joecass likes this.

Looking for a 1939 Indian Motocycle

Last edited by Jan J; 01-17-2016 at 06:10 AM.
Jan J is offline  
Old 01-18-2016, 10:18 AM
ebo
Advanced Member
 
ebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Delmar NY
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Wow, Jan, wow. I applaud your efforts to keep using your LG DVRs and I'm impressed by your wife's ability to keep track of it all. Mine still works (after replacing some caps; thanks for listing the most likely culprits) but I rarely use it anymore and never for recording because I found a better solution. At the risk of speaking heresy in this group, you might want to look into what you can do with a bank of networked HDHomeRun Duals (2 tuners per box, capable of 8VSB or clear QAM) and appropriate recording software. I use CW_EPG (free but requires a Schedules Direct subscription, currently $25/year) to manage recordings, currently from 6 tuners. I tell it what series to record under what conditions: new only, not previously recorded, only from specific channel(s) or during certain time ranges, etc. Then it records those shows even if they change days or time slots, as long as the changes are reflected in the guide. No further intervention needed except to add new series or schedule one-off recordings. I've gone on vacation for over a month and returned to find all of my shows recorded.

The resulting recordings are ordinary MPEG-2 transport streams (or MPEG-4 if that's what your cable company is sending) which can be edited (I use VideoReDo for that) and copied to other drives for permanent storage. There are many computer programs that can play the files. On Windows I use MPC-HC or VLC. I've also used a WDTV networked to my recording PC and currently use a Raspberry Pi 2 B with MPEG-2 license running Kodi. The Pi can also watch a tuner directly but I'm not sure what happens if that conflicts with a scheduled recording.

Files can be played back while they're being recorded (i.e. timeshift without the usual drawbacks) but most players will stop when they get to the point that had been recorded when playback started.

If you're happy with your current system, fine. But if you start thinking, "There must be a better way," there is.
ebo is offline  
Old 01-18-2016, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Stanton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Plano, TX USA
Posts: 2,858
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post
But if you start thinking, "There must be a better way," there is.
But it doesn't say "Hello" and "Goodbye"!

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2)
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's (R/L F/R), (2) Polk Monitor 4's (TM), Polk CS300 center channel
Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray
LG 65EF9500 4K OLED
Stanton is offline  
Old 01-18-2016, 02:56 PM
Senior Member
 
joecass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Queens, New York City
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan J View Post
Sorry for being so 'wordy', but this explanation is lengthy...
Wife is a "Video Junky" and Big into Time Shifting.... Me.... I used to do Video as a profession, so I just tried to keep one step ahead of Wife's requests!! !
In NC, The CableBox DVR can only record 2 programs simultaneously, and you can't watch a 3rd when both recordings are HD.
In Illinois it was more complex, because we didn't have a Cablebox DVR, only the LG's....and ALL Cable QAM was Encrypted. This forced wife to be more accurate with her programming and playback timings. And Encrypted QAM forces me, in order to Time Shift, to decode QAM to NTSC, run through a Video Processor to strip Line 22, and re-modulate video cleanly on CH 68, where the Cablebox feed could then be recorded by LG's. But In Illinois due to more OTA Channels (30+), Therefore, we had 4 LG's operational...
Here in Mountains of NC, It's Simpler because we have a Cablebox DVR and the Cable Feeds are Wide Open QAM, but more complicated as only some OTA Networks are available...

Illinois or NC, I see the following each evening:

She will Peruse the TV Guide and her "Clip-Board" for whatever day she 'left off' with her programming yesterday... Determining which programs she wants to see...
On a Clipboard, she has a series of columns, with program on far left, and DVR's listed across the page, with Watch column on far right.
As programs fill up the page, the can be 'one time' or 'reoccurring' and indicate where they will go: CableBox (can support 2), or DVR1, DVR2, DVR3. or Watch. (Which depends on CableBox recording status)... This also includes playback status of each DVR.
At any time, she can glance at her clipboard and can state the status of the cablebox, cablebox DVRS, LG's, OTA, ROKU, BlueRay Player, or..... Feed from the Video Edit System in the Computer Room, and also schedule time for 'playbacks'.
Here in NC it gets crazy-er because the same program can be either: HD OTA (13.1 ABC) or HD Cable (213 ABC), But not all Networks are OTA, yet we have 2 sets of PBS OTA. ROKU was in Illinois only briefly, but Blue-Ray and Edit System Playback capability was there, and also limits DVR Playback..
Once the programs are slated to be recorded, she then examines the state of DVRs for Playback... She could be recording 4 HD programs, and watching on OTA, or Cablebox, or more likely DVR Playback.... In order to Play back a program she can't be recording on it...
It begins to look like a War Plan at times, and I leave it to Her for controlling access to the items.... Only She Knows what's going on with the Hardware.....
Now if She gets to the point where She can't get it all done with 2 LG's and 2 Cablebos DVR's, and OTA or Cablebox viewing... That's where the "Jan---I need to record "________", and I can't, because: "They are all in use"; "They are nearly full, and I haven't got to view it yet"; "I'm waiting for the series to finish, before viewing"; "Because".......
And that's when I start getting out the single line drawings of the feeds to determine what to do next.

Prior to HD & LG's, Wife (in IL) did multiple VHS Decks... She is an Expert in Time Shifting.... We had 5 VCR's (One Spare).. and 2 cable feeds & 1 OTA Feeds to each TV.... (Separate Cable Feed for VCR playbacks on CH3, 4, 8, 18, 68 if I remember--it was a blur back then trying to keep up with requests)

Wife has also said things that sent me off on projects..... For example, a couple years ago, she recorded some Short Exercise Programs, aand commented she'd like to keep them... I suggested she re-record them on unit with largest hard drive (330Gb) and just never delete them... She asked then what if it was a long program...... And you know where that led to!!!!

Because we have Wide Open QAM here, and some OTA channels, The 3 LG's are in constant use.... The 4th is available for me to do 'experiments' with.....

At this point.... She has the first 1TB Sata unit as DVR1. A 250GB IDE unit as DVR2. In Bedroom is the 1TB Laptop SATA under test, (which will move to DVR2 when deemed OK). The 330GB IDE unit (with Exercise programs) will eventually reside in Bedroom, where she does her exercises....

And I'll get the 250GB IDE (Computer Hard Drive, not Quickview) to 'Experiment' with--

At this point, to simplify things, ALL 3410a's are left ON..... and never turned off...
And I don't touch any of the units that are "On Line" without permission.... ! !

No need to apologize for 'wordy' reply.... I'm once again amazed at the amount of work you do to maintain such a complicated system. You must be aware that there are easier ways to accomplish such tasks.... such as a Tivo Premiere XL4, containing 4 cable tuners, and upgradeable to 1TB or larger drives ? I went from... VHS with analog cable, to VHS with digital cable, to DVD recorders with digital cable, to DVRs with HD recording. I lost my QAM cable 3 years ago, and subsequently ditched cable altogether last summer. You have to consider that possibility in the future, of eventually losing your QAM stations. The LG LST-3410A was my first HD recorder, but the fact that you can't play back a previously recorded show while it's recording a new one is a severe hindrance. I use mine sparingly for overflow programs that I want to see but not a priority on my viewing schedule.
joecass is offline  
Old 01-19-2016, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jan J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Waynesville, NC
Posts: 1,519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm making do with "parts on hand", as opposed to purchasing anew...
In all the projects that I've been involved with, I've enough 'drawer stoppers'.....Dead project remains that are not functional any more... I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised a week after arriving here, when I fixed a neighbor's tv, and found only a cable connection, no box...
Other than the wrong SATA/IDE converter purchase, and the subsequent 2 correct purchases for $12 for 2, all these recent mods were basically free.... (Retired drives from Edit and USB Storage systems)...
I did get sidetracked when our 11+ Year Old Bose system died... That cost $$ I wasn't planning on...... That killed the 2nd Edit System upgrade, and rippled downward into the 2nd 3410 TB upgrade.... (hence, the Laptop 1TB external USB Drive Retirement).

Once the last 1TB drive gets put into service (Still testing in bedroom, wife has too much going on on the one I'll eventually get for experimentation), I can then try other ideas... If it gets swapped out before a SSD comes back from exchange, (So both in a Raid 0 array would have same hardware and firmware revisions on both drives....., I may try a SSD in a 3410a to see if the timeout issue can be circumvented..... and try the Momentus XT drive again to see if I can determine what went on last time...
Of course, I'd need to spend another $6 !
Wouldn't that be nice?????

I've made reference to our 5th 3410... It was given to me due to spillage on Motherboard, that I tried for a month to make operational, but failed.. Someone here needed a DV connector, and I cannibalized the MB for that for them.. and another part of the motherboard went for another user.... ..If anyone needs a hard drive or such.... Holler...

In the meantime, I'm ordering one more IDE/SATA converter, to 'experiment with'... Lord Knows where I might be heading next!!

Looking for a 1939 Indian Motocycle

Last edited by Jan J; 01-19-2016 at 04:31 PM.
Jan J is offline  
Old 01-19-2016, 09:17 PM
Senior Member
 
joecass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Queens, New York City
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 16
"In Illinois it was more complex, because we didn't have a Cablebox DVR, only the LG's....and ALL Cable QAM was Encrypted. This forced wife to be more accurate with her programming and playback timings. And Encrypted QAM forces me, in order to Time Shift, to decode QAM to NTSC, run through a Video Processor to strip Line 22, and re-modulate video cleanly on CH 68, where the Cablebox feed could then be recorded by LG's. But In Illinois due to more OTA Channels (30+), Therefore, we had 4 LG's operational..."


This may be out of context from recent discussions.... but exactly how did you decode encrypted QAM and re-modulate to a recordable frequency ?
joecass is offline  
Old 01-20-2016, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jan J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Waynesville, NC
Posts: 1,519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It was surprisingly easy! The IL cablebox they gave me had Simultaneous HDMI & Downconverted NTSC Letterbox or Pillerbox (Selectable) output.
I took that NTSC output, to GVG Proc, stripped line 22, and the output (along with audio from cablebox) sent to a CH 68 (Cable--OTA CH17 if I recall) modulator. and modulator mis-givings in video quality was made up for in the Proc..... Looked surprisingly good. At that point I channel edit-ed the 3410a.
Note that the cablebox here in NC does not output simultaneous HDMI & NTSC output...

Late last night the last 2 3410a's were swapped around, so 'my' experimental unit is now mine to play with... My garage 'shop' is un-heated... so I'm not going there for a couple months or more...In computer room I do not have a spare monitor to feed it to.. Hmmm I'll have to come up with something.

Looking for a 1939 Indian Motocycle

Last edited by Jan J; 01-20-2016 at 04:13 AM.
Jan J is offline  
Old 01-20-2016, 06:28 PM
Senior Member
 
joecass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Queens, New York City
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 16
[QUOTE=Jan J;40808378]It was surprisingly easy! The IL cablebox they gave me had Simultaneous HDMI & Downconverted NTSC Letterbox or Pillerbox (Selectable) output.
I took that NTSC output, to GVG Proc, stripped line 22, and the output (along with audio from cablebox) sent to a CH 68 (Cable--OTA CH17 if I recall) modulator. and modulator mis-givings in video quality was made up for in the Proc..... Looked surprisingly good. At that point I channel edit-ed the 3410a.
Note that the cablebox here in NC does not output simultaneous HDMI & NTSC output...QUOTE]


Ok.... don't know what a "GVG Proc" is, but..... would this apply to an encrypted QAM digital signal coming out of a wall outlet with NO cable box ? I'm just curious....
joecass is offline  
Old 01-20-2016, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jan J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Waynesville, NC
Posts: 1,519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You'd have to decode it first, to Video (SD-NTSC)

GVG is slang for the company Grass Valley Group... A Proc Amp is a video processing amp where you can re-generate sync, and change all parametrs in video levels, as well as pass or blank information from any line of video....
This is old Obsolete NTSC gear. The one I had was a single board version, with on board controls, or a remote control panel option.(from memory 8000 or so series? earlier 4-6 board unit was 3240)
I don't have it now...I gave it away when packing car for the trip here when it, and other video hardware I had wouldn't fit in the car...

Some Sync & Burst re-timing and re-shaping
Video: Video Gain, Black level adjust, Overall Equalization, Chroma Gain, Chroma Hue, along with other adjustments.
Select able Line by line blanking: Selected line replaced with Black or Blanking signal.
Say you wanted to remove Captions? You'd blank/strip line 21.

Looking for a 1939 Indian Motocycle

Last edited by Jan J; 01-20-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Jan J is offline  
Old 01-23-2016, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jan J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Waynesville, NC
Posts: 1,519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So far, We're seeing No problems with running multiple (3) units 24/7....
I did take compressed air and clean out dust from units.... prior to drive swap out...
I'm intentionally using a Stock Power supply on one of the 'online' units.
(If you remember, I changed the values of a couple caps years ago, to improve the 3.9 & 3.3v Regulation.)
I recently determined that one power supply unit remains 'stock' (330Gb Quickview)... That, too is now on 24/7.
When 3rd IDE/SATA converter gets here (we're snowed in right now)..... I'll start in withe tests on the 'spare' unit....
I want to re-visit the Momentus XT playback lockup issue again on another 3410a...
And possibly test it with a SSD drive, too...
But that will involve mail delivery, and that isn't going to happen for a few days, at least...
(We are presently in Day 3 of "Snowed In")

Day 5 of the snow... We got out yesterday, but had to have driveway plowed again for us to get back in again.
Postman got stuck below us.. Neighbors helped him out, and then delivered the rest of the development's mail, as he could not continue...
The 3rd IDE/SATA converter beat the SSD here.... so I'll be able to test the SSD in spare 3410a before the SSD gets it's final resting place in the video editing system in a Raid 0.

Looking for a 1939 Indian Motocycle

Last edited by Jan J; 01-26-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Jan J is offline  
Old 01-26-2016, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jan J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Waynesville, NC
Posts: 1,519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The 500Gb Momentus XT Hybrid drive that worked oddly in one 3410a works fine in another...
One lockup after first recording... but after a power cycle subsequent recordings/playbacks are fine...
Same drive, different 3410a, different IDE/SATA converter... Oh well... testing continues....

Looking for a 1939 Indian Motocycle

Last edited by Jan J; 01-27-2016 at 06:17 AM.
Jan J is offline  
Old 01-27-2016, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jan J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Waynesville, NC
Posts: 1,519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The exchanged SanDisk Ultra II 480GB SSD arrived today.... A 30 min detour from edit system went through the 3410a.

Had the same First Playback after drive Init lockup happen as did on multiple drives lately....

I'm beginning to think it's a small bug, as, Power cycle after it locks up (Black screen on playback after record, after Drive Init --- No Remote Control button works, though green light on CP indicates a command was received) and after this power cycle.... all is fine.... !!!

It does indicate that SSD shows the HDD Icon on powerup faster than a Spinning Drive does... but at this time (Darn! I Didn't Win the Lottery!) I only played with it for about 30 min, and then the SSD went off to it's home in a Raid 0....

But the testing I did do indicated that it would work fine!

Looking for a 1939 Indian Motocycle
Jan J is offline  
Old 01-27-2016, 01:33 PM
Senior Member
 
joecass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Queens, New York City
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan J View Post
The exchanged SanDisk Ultra II 480GB SSD arrived today.... A 30 min detour from edit system went through the 3410a.

Had the same First Playback after drive Init lockup happen as did on multiple drives lately....

I'm beginning to think it's a small bug, as, Power cycle after it locks up (Black screen on playback after record, after Drive Init --- No Remote Control button works, though green light on CP indicates a command was received) and after this power cycle.... all is fine.... !!!

It does indicate that SSD shows the HDD Icon on powerup faster than a Spinning Drive does... but at this time (Darn! I Didn't Win the Lottery!) I only played with it for about 30 min, and then the SSD went off to it's home in a Raid 0....

But the testing I did do indicated that it would work fine!

You should definitely write a handbook about all this.... don't remember if you posted.... exactly what your "edit" system is, with Raid 0
joecass is offline  
Old 01-27-2016, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jan J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Waynesville, NC
Posts: 1,519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If you remember a couple hundred pages ago, there was a fellow who somehow cracked the data entry codes on TVG board? He did that, and I saved and printed it out, and put it on the CD of information I procured....

I'll take credit for the power supply cap changes and jumper addition, and HELLO Boot Loop cap fix C129, and the TVG Cap removal C394? that prevented the '3 day lockup' when the TVG signal over ran memory on TVG board back when TVG moved from OTA To Cable channels...

But, many folks here have provided hints and tricks.... and we've all benefited from it...

I wish I had had more time with the SSD, but it was "Spoken for"....

My edit system is an old Supermicro Server... It has served me well, (though it is very long in the tooth). I can't see an upgrade in it's future. In Reality.... Everything would have to change.... and that would be $$$$.... And I just retired.... (It Ain't gonna happen!)
I did a project recently with Video footage that needed faster disc throughput than my existing spinning drive raid0 could provide...
I was seeing the dreaded "Dropping Frames". I couldn't show the video.
There was a Black Friday SSD Sale. I did some calculations and figured two SSD as a Raid0, should do the job... I think...
Lucky me: IT JUST BARELY WAS FAST ENOUGH..... JUST BARELY...... But it got the job done....!

I added a 128Gb SSD as Cache & Video Cache Database in conjunction with a spinning drive Raid 0, and that gave new life to the system.... 3-4 years back.
You see, I've been here before..... !

The one thing I can do to speed up system is SSD Raid0 vs. Spinning Drive Raid0.. I didn't have 2 empty drive locations, so I retired a single spinning drive (The 1TB Drive that's now in 3410a) and replacing it with 2 SSD's as a raid 0.
I mentioned I have an older server....There is a 16 bit address limitation in the Disk System (Both disc systems are Part of the motherboard) preventing using disk's larger than 2TB, AND the Controller is only SATA II, AND I've used all the plug in Slots on the motherboard... (Told you it was an older system ! )

Main saving grace of this old motherboard system there are 2 completely in-dependent disc controllers running at Northbridge hardware clock speeds (Which is faster than PCIX Slots) on the motherboard.. So Windows can do 'it's thing' without slowing down video disk access.. and in that aspect, this old motherboard keeps up with some of it's newer types...

As I was doing the recent project, I discovered that I had 2 of the same model drives, but 2 different hardware and 2 different firmware levels, which is frowned upon by Disc Controller Manufacturer's when you are doing a Raid.... I gave MFG both SSD specs, and asked they exchange one of the drives (of their choosing), and supply a SSD of same hardware and firmware vintage of the remaining SSD.... Took a while, but they finally agreed.
It was that 'replacement drive' that arrived today.... After it's time in the 3410a, it was configured as Raid0 in edit system, then the video footage that was archived elsewhere was returned to this (New) Raid0... and tested.
And I believe the final round of 'polishing' on this system -- is finished.... !


Yeah I'm polishing a older system, but it's paid for --- and I doubt I'll ever get another....

P.S. And as luck would have it..... When I tried to register the new SSD at MFG's site.... The site said it was not a valid serial number!!!.

P.P.S.: DanDisk guy registered it for me.... You know, you can't make this stuff up this good!!!

Looking for a 1939 Indian Motocycle

Last edited by Jan J; 01-29-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Jan J is offline  
Old 02-07-2016, 07:10 PM
Member
 
punker_4_real's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
I thought this device only supported up to 160 gb no matter the capacity drive installed? I remember reading that somewhere being a limitation of this particular device.
I don't know why you guys waste time with sata adptors I can see if you want over 1tb

there is 750gb drives on ebay just look

I have 3 of these systems i'm about to sell 1 with 750gb IDE and the other 2 with 400gb (IDE)drives
punker_4_real is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Stanton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Plano, TX USA
Posts: 2,858
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by punker_4_real View Post
I don't know why you guys waste time with sata adptors I can see if you want over 1tb

there is 750gb drives on ebay just look

I have 3 of these systems i'm about to sell 1 with 750gb IDE and the other 2 with 400gb (IDE)drives
Good point. Now that I'm taping/keeping some Johnny Carson stuff, I think I'll go checkout one of those large IDE drives on eBay.

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2)
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's (R/L F/R), (2) Polk Monitor 4's (TM), Polk CS300 center channel
Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray
LG 65EF9500 4K OLED
Stanton is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 02:10 PM
Senior Member
 
joecass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Queens, New York City
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanton View Post
good point. Now that i'm taping/keeping some johnny carson stuff, i think i'll go checkout one of those large ide drives on ebay.

lol
joecass is offline  
Old 02-09-2016, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jan J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Waynesville, NC
Posts: 1,519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Personally, I'd trust a new or used SATA drive and SATA/IDE converter over an new, used, or NOS IDE drive any day, but that's me.....

No problems with either 1TB units so far.... and she's beating on them.....

Looking for a 1939 Indian Motocycle
Jan J is offline  
Old 02-19-2016, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jan J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Waynesville, NC
Posts: 1,519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I retired a Samsung 840 128Gb SSD today from edit system, and replaced it with a larger and slightly faster SanDisk Ultra II...

Briefly (Few hours) tested the 840 in 3410a with Sata/IDE converter... Seems to work fine!

Looking for a 1939 Indian Motocycle
Jan J is offline  
Old 03-29-2016, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jan J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Waynesville, NC
Posts: 1,519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It's been a while since the 3 DVR's have been left 'on' 24/7.
Wife has been using them to augment her time shifting, with OTA and QAM (from Cable) feeds.... We've encountered one Cable Channel (Fox) on QAM channel 117.3 that will go through the motions of recording an hour show, and when it gets time to playback the recorded time is randomly less than an hour, and entire show is not recorded. This happens on all 4 units, (I left one stock with 120Gb Drive, as well as two with 1TB Sata's, and one with 330GB Quickview).... For this reason, I'm thinking it is something encrypted into the feed.

Other than that one channel..... Everything is working fine...

Looking for a 1939 Indian Motocycle
Jan J is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 
taboola here
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off