LG LST-3410A Review and Discussion - Page 244 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #7291 of 7304 Old 03-30-2016, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan J View Post
It's been a while since the 3 DVR's have been left 'on' 24/7.
Wife has been using them to augment her time shifting, with OTA and QAM (from Cable) feeds.... We've encountered one Cable Channel (Fox) on QAM channel 117.3 that will go through the motions of recording an hour show, and when it gets time to playback the recorded time is randomly less than an hour, and entire show is not recorded. This happens on all 4 units, (I left one stock with 120Gb Drive, as well as two with 1TB Sata's, and one with 330GB Quickview).... For this reason, I'm thinking it is something encrypted into the feed.

Other than that one channel..... Everything is working fine...

For the past 8 + years, Fox 5 has given me the most trouble as far as reception goes.... that includes straight from a cable box, the QAM wall feed, and OTA. It might be something in the feed, but from what I've experienced, it's a loss in signal quality, even if only momentary.

Here in New York, Fox 5 and My 9 share the same OTA frequency. There are two sub-channels on Fox 5, and three on My 9, which to me translates into in an inadequate signal.
When I had my LG hooked up to QAM, Fox 5 gave me the most problems. If all your machines react the same way, then I would suspect it's the fault of the broadcaster. BTW, I also have two LG HD tuners from the same era as the 3410A, had the same reception problems with them on Fox 5.... namely the signal would actually drift to a sub-channel, with Spanish-language programming. I used the LG tuners in conjunction with DVD recorders; day after a recording, instead of the.... at the time, interesting programming, I'd get some off-the-wall show recorded instead of Fox 5. This used to drive me crazy.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7292 of 7304 Old 03-30-2016, 06:00 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I vaguely recall that early MyHD cards had trouble with Fox stations. It had something to do with a difference in the way Fox fed programming to its affiliates compared with how everyone else did it. The developers eventually came up with a software fix but I don't remember any details.
post #7293 of 7304 Old 03-30-2016, 11:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post
I vaguely recall that early MyHD cards had trouble with Fox stations. It had something to do with a difference in the way Fox fed programming to its affiliates compared with how everyone else did it. The developers eventually came up with a software fix but I don't remember any details.
splicers? I recall fox being problematic also.

post #7294 of 7304 Old 06-25-2016, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
splicers? I recall fox being problematic also.
I used to do some free lance work at Fox in Chicago... They used a 'splicer' and it was noisy and glitchy as all getout... compared to a HD switcher and and ATSC encoder.... At first they had weather on sub channel, but then removed it...

Regarding the LG DVR's:
The 2x 3410a's with TB drives (Sata to IDE converter) and left 'on' full time have been doing a great job for the wife.

We encountered an issue with all units Not decoding a channel, (Black with audio displayed) but that was fixed by a power cycle. Doesn't follow a modified unit, so it must be something it 'saw' off the local OTA or Cable channels..... and a reset returned all to normal operation...

Looking for a 1939 Indian Motocycle
post #7295 of 7304 Old 12-06-2016, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's been about a year since I added Sata to IDE converters and 1TB drives to 2x 3410a's...... Due to the power up FAT read timeout issue, they have been LEFT POWERED UP since this modification....

It's been about a year since this has happened.... Both units have worked flawlessly., recording and playing back every timed recording that was programmed... I restarted one when it locked up on a Fox channel... and refused to decode a HD Channel (Black), but that only happened once in the year's time... Temperature of the units are no warmer than when they powered up and down again (remember years ago I added taller 'feet' below the units, and re-capped the power supplies)..

So of the 5x 3410a's I have had, for what, 13 or so years? 4 are still fully operational!
2x have 1TB drives with >100 hours of HD recording time.... 1x has a 330 Quickview drive, and one has a stock 120 drive.
The 5th one was given to me with something spilled in it by a user here... I cleaned it as best as possible, and even got it going for a couple months, but eventually the liquid shorted traces under a large chip, rendering the unit inoperative... This unit was stripped for usable spare parts, with parts of motherboard removed and given to users here; The Power Supply was updated with all mods I found necessary; The Front Panel, and Hard drive being kept for spares.

I'm amazed in the longevity of this unit!

I have multiple stock hard drives, one of which would be made available to anyone here for free as long as you provide postage to get it from here to you...
joecass likes this.

post #7296 of 7304 Old 12-07-2016, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Been using mine to record Johnny Carson off of Antenna TV the last several months...and watch the occasional prime-time show when the DVR is busy (great HD picture). Still have the original 120 Gig IDE HD!

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2)
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's (R/L F/R), (2) Polk Monitor 4's (TM), Polk CS300 center channel
Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
LG 65EF9500 4K OLED
post #7297 of 7304 Old 12-07-2016, 02:15 PM

Mine is still operational, but I stopped using it last spring. My other DVRs are more efficient at fast forwarding or skipping through commercials. It's still plugged in, though, in case I need a spare recording device.
post #7298 of 7304 Old 01-24-2017, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 2698 Post(s)
Liked: 2536
I have a 3410 in mint condition that has been in storage since 2005 (original 120GB hard drive, 3.31 FW, remote, box, etc.). What's the ~street value of one of these today? I'm guessing not much.
post #7299 of 7304 Old 01-24-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
I have a 3410 in mint condition that has been in storage since 2005 (original 120GB hard drive, 3.31 FW, remote, box, etc.). What's the ~street value of one of these today? I'm guessing not much.
Last time I saw one for sale on Ebay, it was around $125 or so. Not many sellers over the years that I've seen, and very few diehard LG enthusiasts. I would ask $125 and take it from there.....
Marc Alexander likes this.
post #7300 of 7304 Old 01-30-2017, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecass View Post
Last time I saw one for sale on Ebay, it was around $125 or so. Not many sellers over the years that I've seen, and very few diehard LG enthusiasts. I would ask $125 and take it from there.....
I've got 4 or 5 120Gb Seagate Quick-view Hard drives that were tested good when removed..... (Stock drive from LG 3410a) and they've been sitting in my spare stock for years.....
If anyone has any interest in acquiring a spare hard drive... Here's a way you can get one --- nearly for free.... All you'll have to do is send me a proper Disk shipper with enough return postage to get it back to you.... and I'll be happy to give you one for free.... (I'm going through my spare stuff, and with all the upgrades I've done, I really have no use for 120Gb drives in the 3410a...
So if you ever wanted a spare, here's a way to get one nearly free!
Please note that the Quick-view drive does not attempt to correct when it encounters an error... So these drives WOULD NOT be a candidate for use in a computer..... !

Send me a private message, and I'll pass along my mailing address... (PS. I retired, and am not in Illinois any longer)

post #7301 of 7304 Old 04-15-2017, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

FYI:

Well... Here I thought I had modified all the LG3410a's that I own.. (4)... but I didn't!

Last week I received the "HELLO" Boot Loop!!! on one unit....

I thought I had replaced C129 (10uf cap) on this unit... No, I hadn't.... and it finally dried out!!!

Replaced C129, and unit happily booted and is back to full operation again!!!

post #7302 of 7304 Old 04-16-2017, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
FYI:

Well... Here I thought I had modified all the LG3410a's that I own.. (4)... but I didn't!

Last week I received the "HELLO" Boot Loop!!! on one unit....

I thought I had replaced C129 (10uf cap) on this unit... No, I hadn't.... and it finally dried out!!!

Replaced C129, and unit happily booted and is back to full operation again!!!
I guess this will happen to me...someday...which is why I keep this thread bookmarked!

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2)
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's (R/L F/R), (2) Polk Monitor 4's (TM), Polk CS300 center channel
Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
LG 65EF9500 4K OLED
post #7303 of 7304 Old 09-15-2017, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

In an instant all 3410a's are not needed...

Wife misses her Bears since retiring 2+ years ago...

Couple days ago, we went from local Cable Company to Direct TV ---- for Her Bears.... (Kept Cable as internet provider)...

Cable channels went dead today....
(CC had Sent SD & HD as Un-encrypted QAM, so up to today LG's were still doing yeoman's duty as CC DVR is older gear-- only 2x recordings, and doesn't have much storage at all.... Due to this CC DVR limitation,, I had upgraded EVERY 3410a up to 1TB of storage (With PATA to SATA Converters) as drives from my Video Editing system were retired and replaced with SSD's, and up until the LG's saw MUCH SERVICE)

DTV DVR Records 5x shows, and 200 Hours storage....

Combination of both of these senerios.... I've left OTA feed attached to the 4x 3410a's.... and then SHUT THEM OFF!!!

If I'm correct, I got our first one in late 2004, early 2005.... That's 12 years!!!

Will they ever be "Turned On" Again???? Maybe, if 200 hours of HD storage ever becomes a 'Limitation' !!! !

post #7304 of 7304 Old 09-15-2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
In an instant all 3410a's are not needed...

Wife misses her Bears since retiring 2+ years ago...

Couple days ago, we went from local Cable Company to Direct TV ---- for Her Bears.... (Kept Cable as internet provider)...

Cable channels went dead today....
(CC had Sent SD & HD as Un-encrypted QAM, so up to today LG's were still doing yeoman's duty as CC DVR is older gear-- only 2x recordings, and doesn't have much storage at all.... Due to this CC DVR limitation,, I had upgraded EVERY 3410a up to 1TB of storage (With PATA to SATA Converters) as drives from my Video Editing system were retired and replaced with SSD's, and up until the LG's saw MUCH SERVICE)

DTV DVR Records 5x shows, and 200 Hours storage....

Combination of both of these senerios.... I've left OTA feed attached to the 4x 3410a's.... and then SHUT THEM OFF!!!

If I'm correct, I got our first one in late 2004, early 2005.... That's 12 years!!!

Will they ever be "Turned On" Again???? Maybe, if 200 hours of HD storage ever becomes a 'Limitation' !!! !
I wouldn't write the LGs off just yet..... I've heard that satellite reception could become difficult in very rainy or snowy winter weather. Nevertheless, congrats on the upgrade ! The LGs served their purpose very well, as did the equally as old Sony DHG series. It's unfortunate that LG and Sony dropped off the HDTV recorder market so quickly. I investigated DirecTV years ago, and was never really interested in their service, based on all the customer reviews I read.

I took my LG out of service over a year ago, although I still have it, along with two Sony DHG models, in the closet. On both LG and Sony, the picture quality was always great, although the tuners were a bit weak in my opinion. They were more useful when I had digital cable with unencrypted QAM, but I dumped my cable co in 2015 after the suspension of QAM reception.

Now all I have is OTA, and use other means to grab shows I want to watch.
Also, several years ago, I picked up a used 2TB Tivo Premiere on Ebay for dirt cheap...although it's at least 5 or more years older, it works great, and recently received a software update which allows a "skip"method, where you can skip through all the commercials during a show by hitting one button. Besides that, I have three Channel Master CM7400s bought on Ebay also dirt cheap, that work pretty well,

FIOS is available in my area, but I'm not thrilled with their channel-tiering structure or prices. Verizon has a tendency to raise their rates a bit too often. Plus, from what I've seen of their DVR, it didn't seem too enticing.

In any case, good luck with your new setup and that the 'wife' is happy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page