LG LST-3410A Review and Discussion - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 7202 Old 04-14-2004, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I only mention this as a data point and not to jinx myself, but, my 3410 with FW 1.12 has always worked, never locked up, and, I get EPG data nightly.

This message will now self-destruct.

Murray Kerdman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 7202 Old 04-14-2004, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ordered the Samsung 165 today.
Think I should have ordered the LG 3410!!!

I know the cost is much higher.

I have Cox HD Digital cable in Tulsa, OK using a Motorola 6200 cable box.
Will the 3410 replace that?

I have a JVC 4000 DVHS.
Will it work with that?

I am using a Sony HD300 now for OTA.
Is it better than that?

Is the HD recording bit for bit?
Better than the Samsung?

Thanks!!!!!!!

Rick
post #723 of 7202 Old 04-14-2004, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick7777
I am using a Sony HD300 now for OTA.
Is it better than that?

Same tuner in both units.
post #724 of 7202 Old 04-14-2004, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KornerKlub
Same tuner in both units.

I do not know the tuner part numbers specifically, but, I can tell you that the on-screen results when comparing the DVI output of the LG 3410 and the Samsung T165 are not at all the same.

The LG 3410 produces a markedly superior image over DVI than any other tuner or STB I have ever seen, including the Samsung T165.

This may be the video portion of the 3410 more so than the tuner.

But it matters little, as what is put up on the screen is all that is important.

It's the LG 3410 PQ, by a landslide.

Murray Kerdman
post #725 of 7202 Old 04-14-2004, 01:46 PM

That part of the question was about the Sony HD300 vs 3410
post #726 of 7202 Old 04-14-2004, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KornerKlub
That part of the question was about the Sony HD300 vs 3410

KornerKlub

In that case the Sony HD300 must be a great TV!

Mea culpa.

EDIT: Geez, someone should have told me that the Sony's SAT-HD300 is a DirecTV® & ATSC High Definition Satellite Receiver- and not an HDTV

Mea culpa...again

Murray Kerdman
post #727 of 7202 Old 04-14-2004, 09:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Just added a hard drive cooling kit (large heat sink and two small fans) to my 3410a. I added a 250GB HD. Hope this addresses the heat issue. I notice as the unit gets very warm, more prone to digital blocking/breaking up of the image.

-> No longer looking for Hi-Vision LDs <-

(I buried that format finally)

www.16cylinder.com
post #728 of 7202 Old 04-19-2004, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

My unit has only managed to record half the scheduled recording in the past week. At least one was my fault (I left the recorder on, and it could not get guide data), and the others...well, the unit was off, but it did not record. After the most recent failure, last night, I turned it on to watch the show, and I had no listings. After the previous failures, I had listings, but I didn't check until at least a day later.

I'll pull the FW version, and open a ticket with LG.

Between the design limitations and poor reliability, my loathing of this machine is only getting deeper.

--Mike
post #729 of 7202 Old 04-19-2004, 11:01 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Llamas,

Be prepared to wait for your replacement from LG. Mine has been on order for about 3 weeks.
post #730 of 7202 Old 04-19-2004, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

My second 3410 has been returned for a refund but I find it ironic that so many owners are reporting the problems I presented in February and March. I was lambasted as being against the unit from the get go. Perhaps if others had listened and observed rather than decried my observations, LGE might have been inclined to provide realistic improvements which address the common failures and shortcomings.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #731 of 7202 Old 04-19-2004, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Art, I've been unhappy for just as long. I'd have returned the unit after the first week, had it not been for the restocking fee. Now, I wish I had returned it, and taken the $150 hit (or waited, and purchased locally).

--Mike
post #732 of 7202 Old 04-20-2004, 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by MrHifi
Mine second 3410 has been returned for a refund but I find it ironic that so many owners are reporting the problems I presented in February and March. I was lambasted as being against the unit from the get go. Perhaps if others had listened and observed rather than decried my observations, LGE might have been inclined to provide realistic improvements which address the common failures and shortcomings.

I agree. While many were happy with the tuner and some capabilities, some where not considering the other limitations of what could/should have been a great product.

While I didn't have the brightness variation problem you had, I was frustrated by lockup problems and several other poor design choices that LG made. I understood the expected limitations with scrambled cable, but hadn't expected several other limitations that weren't clearly identified.

Inabiliity to do timed recording off AV2 input.
Inability to do timed recordings off AV1 input except through use of the guide.
Inability to select some broadcast SD channels in Guide if the unit is told that cable is available, etc.
post #733 of 7202 Old 04-20-2004, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I am saddened that this unit has as many technical issues as it does. I really loved its ability to capture digital feeds and the picture quality, when it was working, was outstanding. Besides locking up indiscriminantly, it is sensitive to temperature changes and of course my brightness variation problem. Sadly, the Sony units that should be out late this year do not incorporate a VGA DB15 RGBHV output.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #734 of 7202 Old 04-20-2004, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am saddened that this unit has as many technical issues as it does. I really loved its ability to capture digital feeds and the picture quality, when it was working, was outstanding. Besides locking up indiscriminantly, it is sensitive to temperature changes and of course my brightness variation problem. Sadly, the Sony units that should be out late this year do not incorporate a VGA DB15 RGBHV output.

I have never missed an EPG overnight download, or a scheduled recording, and, for me, the digital picture quality over DVI plus the easy HDD upgradability offsets the units design limitations and makes the 3410 worth the price of admission.

Murray Kerdman
post #735 of 7202 Old 04-20-2004, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I was going to get a new unit as soon as Value Electronics get some more in but you guys are scaring me. I was only wanting a unit to record OTA HD programs that come on while I'm gone or late at night.
Still a good unit for just that???
Thanks
Jim
post #736 of 7202 Old 04-20-2004, 01:19 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

motoman,

OTA only is not working for me at this time.

I am waiting on a new unit. Mine took a while to have problems the first time. I would wait a few months and check back then.
post #737 of 7202 Old 04-20-2004, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe you need to ask the following:

1. Do you have a lot of ghosting at your location? f you do, there is a good chance the unit will not record without dropouts, audio and video.

2. Do you have air movement where you intend to place the unit? Several have reported temperature related issues. My first unit eventually stopped working unless I blew an 18" fan on it. Others have reported moving harnesses and installing Hard Drive cooling fans. Not my cup of tea.

3. You will miss recording sessions because as opposed to analog reception and recording, digital recording with this unit relies on a continuous stream of digital info. which when interrupted creates dropouts. As a result the guide system often makes mistakes and fails to record a program. So many factors have to be in sync that getting a recording can become problematic. It did for me.

All that said, I do miss recording HD programming in HD even if 3/4 of the time it had so many dropouts that I chose to watch the analog version I recorded in back of it.

I'm waiting a while before reinvesting my hard earned dollars. I definitely jumped too early on this one. I wonder if the HD230 purchasers went through this?

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #738 of 7202 Old 04-20-2004, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I believe you need to ask yourself the following:

1. Do I have a lot of ghosting at your location? f you do, theree is a good chance the unit will not record without dropouts, audio and video.

2. Do you have air movement where you intend to place the unit? Several have reported temperature related issues.

3. You will miss recording sessions because as opposed to analog reception and recording, digital recording with this unit relies on a continuous stream of digital info. which when interrupted creates dropouts and a guide system that often makes mistakes. So many factors have to be in sync that getting a recording can become problematic. It did for me.

All that said, I do miss recording HD programming in HD even if 3/4 of the time it had so many dropouts that I chose to watch the analog version I recorded in back of it.

I'm waiting a while before reinvesting my hard earned dollars. I definitely jumped too early on this one. I wonder if the HD230 peoplewent through this?

Art

It sounds like your environmental conditions will challenge any and all HDTV OTA solutions you may buy.

Go satellite or cable HDTV and you can forget this thread.

Murray Kerdman
post #739 of 7202 Old 04-20-2004, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

FYI, I've been running an RCA DTC100 sinc 1998. It works perfectly. I have C-Band/ Ku , 4DTV and an HDD200 for high definition. I receive over 30 HD channels from the aforementioned sources. My problems are with a poorly designed unit, not with OTA HD. I hope yours keeps working.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #740 of 7202 Old 04-20-2004, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

FYI, I've been running an RCA DTC100 sinc 1998. It works perfectly. I have C-Band/ Ku , 4DTV and an HDD200 for high definition. I receive over 30 HD channels from the aforementioned sources. My problems are with a poorly designed unit, not with OTA HD. I hope yours keeps working.

Art,

If I were you, and I am not, I would unsubscribe this to thread, and, get either a 169Time solution for either your RCA DTC100 or 4DTV-HDD200 STB, or, either a Dish 921 or HD-Tivo.

Murray Kerdman
post #741 of 7202 Old 04-20-2004, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Murray,

I'm not sure why you want me to unsubscribe but I am troubled by someone who fails to acknowledge performance deficiencies in the face of so much evidence. Makes you wonder if LGE has people planted here to say nice things about their product. Of course I know I would never do that but then I'm not you.

The problem with the 169Time solution is that it freezes your options at a point in technological development time. Already their Firewire is incompatible with a number of recorders. Besides $1,000+ to record TV shows that I do not want to watch again is really a waste of money. The LGE 3410 in cobination with the DTC100 allowed me to record HD and watch. Perfect solution IMHO.

As far as the Dish 921 or TIVO units are concerned, you should understand that no self respecting owner of a C-Band system would ever consider the 3rd generation poor quality video that comes out of DISH and DIRECT TV. Cable is even worse. All three compress the first generation signal that I watch on C-Band so much as to take all the pleasure out of watching TV. I view on a 10 ft screen with a front prokector. To diminish quality at the front end with a pizza dish would border on stupidity.

Thanks anyway for the suggestions but I think I'll stick around this thread and offer advice and guidance when appropriate. As far as switching to DISH, I guess I've beaten that to death.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #742 of 7202 Old 04-21-2004, 02:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Art,

>>> I'm not sure why you want me to unsubscribe

Because while you try to play "Mr. A/V Ralph Nader", your comments here stopped being new, relevant or in any way helpful a very long time ago.

>>> Makes you wonder if LGE has people planted here to say nice things about their product.

It only makes you wonder, as you are the quintessential unfounded conspiracy theorist of the first order quick to question the veracity and honest motivations of all who dare to disagree with your one-note it's all crap sonata.

>>> Thanks anyway for the suggestions but I think I'll stick around this thread and offer advice and guidance when appropriate.

You continue to look and sound like a disgruntled customer with a Don't buy here sandwich sign on your back walking back a forth in front of a store that "just doesn't get it" and, only you do.

>>> As far as the Dish 921 or TIVO units are concerned, you should understand that no self respecting owner of a C-Band system would ever consider the 3rd generation poor quality video that comes out of DISH and DIRECT TV. Cable is even worse. All three compress the first generation signal that I watch on C-Band so much as to take all the pleasure out of watching TV.

There's obviously just no pleasing you with anything, the LG 3410, or anything else. And, you seem to prefer it that way so as to have something to complain about.

Why not go stand on the Dish, DirecTV and Cable street corners and forum threads with your "it's all bad and they know it" attitude for awhile and give the LG 3410 threads a break from your non-stop tale of caution against anything not nearly as good as C-Band, which, 90+% of urban and suburban Americans are barred from erecting anyway.

>>> As far as switching to DISH, I guess I've beaten that to death.

Belive me, you "beat that to death" along with a lot more here.

Why not log-off and watch some C-band HDTV and enjoy yourself for a change, and give this tired old thread a break.

The release of the Sony or other next gen DVR's for you to rail on won't come a moment too soon.

Oh yeah, the Sony DVR's won't have RGB outputs, and, transcoders are such a compromise for those with older projectors without either Y,Pb,Pr componenet inputs, or, modern digital HDMI/DVI inputs for new HDTV digital television source devices.

See, it'll never end with you.

Murray Kerdman
post #743 of 7202 Old 04-21-2004, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by motoman
I was going to get a new unit as soon as Value Electronics get some more in but you guys are scaring me. I was only wanting a unit to record OTA HD programs that come on while I'm gone or late at night.
Thanks
Jim

In my case, the 3410A eliminated the terrible dropout problems I had with the T165. HD picture quality is amazing through both component and DVI.

OTA only was more reliable than OTA/cable, which seems to sometimes confuse the Guide between cable HD and OTA HD channels in my area.

My unit has been working flawlessly for two weeks straight. But it sometimes loses the Guide info and scheduled recording info. I believe this has happened four times in two months. If I had not been home, scheduled recordings would not have taken place.

The Guide locked up, requiring a reboot three times within a couple of days. That was a month ago and the problem has not reappeared.

I'm just guessing here, but since all problems seem related to Guide functions, I'm wondering if it's a problem with the Guide info broadcast in my area. Many of the troubles I had came at the time of the mentioned confusion between HD OTA and HD cable channels. Once that straightened itself out, I've had only one glitch.

So, I like the unit even though it's not 100% reliable like VCR's were. That part can be frustrating. But it has worked great 95% of the time. $900 is too much to pay, but I knew that when I bought it. I was tired of waiting for a DVR (I purposely skipped the first generation HDR230) and am glad I bought the 3410A. It had been much more frustrating getting the constant dropouts with the T165/Mits 2000. A bonus is that I started to pick up a local Comcast cable HD channel (WGN), even though my area does not officially have HD available. Other channels should follow soon. I am now happily watching a lot of HD.

I hope my experiences help your decision. Everyone seems to expect something a little different from this unit.

Phil
post #744 of 7202 Old 04-21-2004, 03:55 PM

No problems with mine, since day one. I am very pleased.
post #745 of 7202 Old 04-22-2004, 06:59 AM

My Unit with version 1.14 has been working great since I got it as a replacement a week ago. The only problem is that it is working great in the OTA arena only. When I try to add Cable to the mix it doesn't like it. The guide will get locked up and the unit will not boot up correctly. You end up having to do a Hard Reset (Unplug the Unit) . Another wierd thing I have seen with this guide is that when you have the TV guide set to download with cable, when everything is loaded the DTV OTA channels (CBS,ABC,NBC ........) will only show the name of the show in the Descriptor,
no info on the show. Maybe this is a Brighthouse thing , figures, that some how the TV guide data is corrupted coming thru them. Because when you set the Gude up for OTA , Everything is stellar !!!!!!. Question is then how does one then get cable on the box then without downloading the guide thru cable. I think if they had this in the FW then that would clear up alot of issues. Still I love this box, i can Tape all the network shows in HD while I,m watching INHD1&2 , DiscHD, HBOHD, SHOWHD, HDNET,
or HDNETMOVIES. Vegas Looked great monday night, Nikki Cox, GRRRRRRR!
post #746 of 7202 Old 04-22-2004, 01:33 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

post #747 of 7202 Old 04-22-2004, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Originally posted by motoman

The 3410a is GREAT for OTA HD recording. I've had mine since the week they came out, have never missed a timed recording, and it gets better OTA reception than my old Sony HD-100 (which I still use). I don't have a cable connection and I don't use it for hours everyday; I keep it in my stereo cabinet (which I couldn't do w/the Sony) and have had no problems.

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #748 of 7202 Old 04-22-2004, 03:42 PM
sr

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I also love my 3410, but it's predecessor, the Zenith HDR230 has a slightly more sensitive receiver. My only wish is that the customer should be able to perform software upgrades without having to return the unit to the manufacturer. Does anyone know what improvement 1.14 has over 1.12?
post #749 of 7202 Old 04-22-2004, 06:45 PM

I don't think there is any improvement at all with 1.14. My unit just died tonight twice. Once while taping friends (using the TV Guide function) the other time just doing a manual record during CSI, and I only have OTA hooked up to it. This thing is a Piece of shizit. I am calling LG in the morning and demanding a refund. This is my second unit and i don't want to have a third. I guess I will just have to wait for BrightHouse to release their DVR later on this year and wont have to fork out a crapload of cash for it either . Hope you guys have better luck !!
post #750 of 7202 Old 04-22-2004, 07:47 PM

I would think that if more than one unit showed a problem, that would indicate that the 3410 just might not be the issue.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page