LG LST-3410A Review and Discussion - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 7202 Old 01-25-2004, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Of course if they keep delaying its release long enough there might be 1-2 TB ATA HDDs by then!
joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 7202 Old 01-25-2004, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd rather see this delay (since 3rd quarter 2003) than a rush to market, if it means that LG has used the time to squash any bugs in the unit.

But it sure has been a looooonnnnng and tiresome wait...

Phil
post #93 of 7202 Old 01-25-2004, 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jlanzy
I hope then that >135 channels could at least be manually added!!
Otherwise my SciFi Channel is on 160 and I'd have split my cable input with one running into my JVC DVHS to record that channel. Oh! Wait a minute I'm beginning to see, More convience=More complication. On another thread on this forum there is a tribute/memorial to the late Captain Kangaroo whom I grew up watching. A Channel Master rooftop antenna 19" black and white tv and 5 channels, who could have wanted for more!
joe

See my previous reply about higher cable channels.
post #94 of 7202 Old 01-25-2004, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Otherwise my SciFi Channel is on 160

Channels numbers on cable box have no relation to 3410 QAM tuner. Cable company uses mapping so they can put it on channel 1000 if they want. SciFi channel will show up on 3410 as something like 110-5 as it will use actual frequency.
post #95 of 7202 Old 01-26-2004, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I don't know if this means anything, but I was in a Best Buy in Eastern Ohio(Boardman,OH to be exact) and although the sales rep I spoke too didn't know whether or not they would have the LST-3410A, I did notice that they had the Samsung T165 on "CLEARANCE".

Not that one thing might constitute another, but maybe BB is trying to move out one manufacturer while bringing in a new model from another.

It is entirely possible that BB and CC have a new deal in place with LG(Zenith parent company) to handle their new equipment. Not just the televisions, but alot of their other equip. as well.

Remember, it wasn't until late last year, that BB started to carry some of Zenith's new line of HDTV's. LG may have come to the conclusion(unlike Samsung) that it might be better to make all of their products, even their"higher end" products more readily available to the public at large

IMHO this is the reason why I got a Zenith C27V36 from CC than the Samsung TXN2798 which is what I really wanted at first. Could not find that one locally anywhere in Western PA or Eastern OH. I find it hard to spend money on something like this without an easy way to return it if it has a problem or I am just not satisfied which I completely am.
post #96 of 7202 Old 01-26-2004, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
CKNA,

Thanks for the clarifying the >125(135) numerical limit. I guess it will have cable box control and that setting the LG to its corresponding 110-5 or whatever,that it will be able to change the cable box to the appropriate channel number, in my case 160 to record onto the HDD?
joe
post #97 of 7202 Old 01-26-2004, 03:42 PM

Well, I went to BB, and they looked it up for me, and said that they are not expecting any, at least according to their computer. 6th Ave, same thing.
post #98 of 7202 Old 01-26-2004, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jlanzy
CKNA,

Thanks for the clarifying the >125(135) numerical limit. I guess it will have cable box control and that setting the LG to its corresponding 110-5 or whatever,that it will be able to change the cable box to the appropriate channel number, in my case 160 to record onto the HDD?
joe

Joe you will not need to cable. If you are going to hookup your cable feed to the 3410A then the HD signal will have to be unscrambled (ie clear QAM). I have Comcast and all the major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox) are in the clear; ESPN and INHD1 & INHD2 are scrambled and my LG 3510A can not tune them. I am assuming that the 3410A tuner behaves the same as the 3510A.

post #99 of 7202 Old 01-26-2004, 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dozens
Joe you will not need to cable. If you are going to hookup your cable feed to the 3410A then the HD signal will be to be unscrambled (ie clear QAM). I have Comcast and all the major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox) are in the clear; ESPN and INHD1 & INHD2 are scrambled and my LG 3510A can not tune them. I am assuming that the 3410A tuner behaves the same as the 3510A.

This is going to kill this box for me. In anticipation of the 3410a I tried the 3510a on my local cable (Charter) and could only get the 2 OTA network feeds they currently carry, all other HD was scrambled. So I called and added the HD package and still no other HD. Then I got their receiver (SA 3250) thinking I could pass through the unscrambled RF signal but that requires an additional RF bypass card from SA, which the cable company doesn't supply and seem to have no interest to. For the long term I don't see what the 3410 gets you except OTA HD and SD cable.

Mark II

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; am I therefore perfect?
post #100 of 7202 Old 01-26-2004, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Why can't you just send the cable feed into the 3410 after it has been unscrambled by the cable box? Wouldn't that work?
post #101 of 7202 Old 01-26-2004, 07:08 PM

"I could pass through the unscrambled RF signal but that requires an additional RF bypass card from SA"

Mark II

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; am I therefore perfect?
post #102 of 7202 Old 01-27-2004, 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by scottb4u
Why can't you just send the cable feed into the 3410 after it has been unscrambled by the cable box? Wouldn't that work?

I was hoping I could send the decoded signal from the cable box into the 3410a, but the inputs for video in on the 3410a are only for SD composite video and audio. No HD component video inputs, and no DVI input, so I could only record SD out of my cable box, and only unscrambled HD signals from the cable without the box.
post #103 of 7202 Old 01-27-2004, 08:41 PM

Is there anyway to verify if our local PBS OTA station is transmitting an accurate guide before I go out and buy one of these units?

I currently have a T165 and a T150 and have never seen anything even resembling a guide when I tune into the T165 to record via DVHS...? Most times, my guides are empty time slot boxes.... and I just set my unit to record via time like a really old VCR.
post #104 of 7202 Old 01-28-2004, 04:30 AM

The "guide" is Guide Plus+ (TV Guide, Gemstar). They have complete coverage across the US, and do not just transmit on PBS. They often have multiple stations sending the data.
post #105 of 7202 Old 01-28-2004, 06:07 AM

Quote:

They often have multiple stations sending the data.

Via HDTV OTA? Like I asked... anyway to tell if any of my current OTA digital stations are transmitting that guide?

Also, if we use the delete channel feature to delete the channel, from our surfing, which has the guide, will we still automatically get the guide?
post #106 of 7202 Old 01-28-2004, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:

anyway to tell if any of my current OTA digital stations are transmitting that guide?

I'd recommend calling your local stations. You can also find out more information by going to the Gemstar website directly.

Like KornerKlub mentioned they have US coverage and I'm sure you won't have any problems in TX.

Quote:

Also, if we use the delete channel feature to delete the channel, from our surfing, which has the guide, will we still automatically get the guide?

Was already addressed in the body of this thread by the original poster, here's what he said.

Quote:

I let the unit update a second night, and the channels I deleted were taken off the guide. I guess I just need to be more patient.

It seems like you're making it harder than it has to be.

Troy

Now that's how you supposed to drive!

Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X

post #107 of 7202 Old 01-28-2004, 02:02 PM

The Guide-Plus is sent on the analog channels.
post #108 of 7202 Old 01-28-2004, 02:16 PM

Quote:

The Guide-Plus is sent on the analog channels.

Oh boy. I don't know if I can receive an analog signal this far from the towers? Do analog signals travel as far as the digital ones?
post #109 of 7202 Old 01-28-2004, 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by merc
Oh boy. I don't know if I can receive an analog signal this far from the towers? Do analog signals travel as far as the digital ones?

They are sent on Cable too.
post #110 of 7202 Old 01-28-2004, 08:35 PM

OKay, has anyone tried to send the video (live or recorded) directly to a TV (or tuner) with 1394 ports like a Mits integrated TV. I'm tired of adding more component and toslink devices when firewire carries all the info on one little cable all digitally.

Paul
post #111 of 7202 Old 01-29-2004, 05:34 AM

Quote:

They are sent on Cable too.

I wasn't planning on hooking this up to my analog cable at all. The guide I get on my cable is a continually scrolling one located on channel 99. I'd hope that the guide being used on the 3410a is not this same guide but instead one like those I use on my ReplayTV units?
post #112 of 7202 Old 01-29-2004, 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by protsch
OKay, has anyone tried to send the video (live or recorded) directly to a TV (or tuner) with 1394 ports like a Mits integrated TV. I'm tired of adding more component and toslink devices when firewire carries all the info on one little cable all digitally.

Paul

That should not work since, according to the owner's manual it state that the 1394 ports are for a DVHS or MV Camcorder only.
post #113 of 7202 Old 01-29-2004, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That should not work since, according to the owner's manual it state that the 1394 ports are for a DVHS or MV Camcorder only.

I wouldn't be the farm on it, but I'd be willing to take a wager that this would work on a firewire capable set. The firewire connections are both input and output and if they can pass the MPEG2-TS signal to D-VHS and D-VHS can pass the signal to an integrated set, then the 3410 should be able to play/record to an integrated set directly (or indirectly).

The disclaimer about D-VHS AND MV camcorder is only a disclaimer that basically says "don't expect our firewire input/output to work with every friggin thing you try to hook up to it bud!".

Anyone placing wagers?

I've got the JVC GR-HD1 HD camcorder and I've hooked it up to every set available that has a firewire input. All the sets have recognized it and were able to control it via their remote. It played back fine and looked excellent!

Troy

post #114 of 7202 Old 01-29-2004, 08:46 AM

Troy, can this camcorder record HD through its video in? or is it only SD capable? I read the manual off the jvc site and it looks pretty clear that's the case (SD only) but thought I would ask anyway.

Sorry this is OT...
post #115 of 7202 Old 01-29-2004, 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by merc
I wasn't planning on hooking this up to my analog cable at all. The guide I get on my cable is a continually scrolling one located on channel 99. I'd hope that the guide being used on the 3410a is not this same guide but instead one like those I use on my ReplayTV units?

TV Guide On Screen
post #116 of 7202 Old 01-29-2004, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Akelley,

I sent you a private message with regard to the GR-HD1.

Troy

post #117 of 7202 Old 02-03-2004, 05:36 PM

When received QAM is saved to the hard drive is it in mpeg2? When QAM is demodulated is mpeg2 the output?
post #118 of 7202 Old 02-04-2004, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Scenic,

QAM is a transfer methodology. MPEG2 is a compression codec. More than likely your cable QAM is transferring MPEG2 so yes, the hard drive is recording MPEG2.

Yes to the last part also.

Troy

post #119 of 7202 Old 02-11-2004, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Anybody got their units yet? I'm very eager to hear more about other opinions on this unit.

One thing that really scared me at first was the fact that they were using the "Gemstar TV On Screen" service, which I thought would dictate the UI too. I currently have a Mot5108 and the Comcast "TV Guide" UI is the worst UI experience I've ever had with my A/V components. But after looking at the manual, it looks like the UI is different.

A few questions for those who tried it so far:

1. Is the UI responsive? How long does it take to change a channel?
2. How annoying are the ads in the guide view?
3. It is easy to search something? (can you search?)
4. Can you hide channels on the guide? Do you skip them when doing a Channel Up/Down?
5. Is there any conflict management? If so, what does it look like?
6. On a scheduled recording, will it automatically change the time if the guide knows about a schedule change for a specific show? Or is it fixed time-wise?
7. Do you have to keep the unit turned on for it to record a scheduled show?
8. How noisy/hot is the unit?
9. I know this is probably different depending on the area, but the unit says it supports unscrambled digital CATV. Are there any non-HD digital channels known to be unscrambled (we have Comcast here)?

Thank you very much in advance.

-eric
post #120 of 7202 Old 02-11-2004, 04:44 PM

1. Other than for set-upand adjustments, the UI is mostly Gemstar. Changing channels is not "fast" but faster than on most D* units. Whenever changing to a digital cable channel, it slows a bit as though it must determine the virtual channels again. Nothing so bad that you could not live with though.

2. I have yet to see and actual "ads" in the guide. The section for ads is currently used for addtional access to Gemstar features.

3. VERY extensive search options. So much, that I havn't used them.

4. You can hide channels IN the guide and normal hide functions, independantly. If you don't want a channel to show in the guide, hide it there. If you want to pass over a channel when Ch Up or Ch down, delete it in the main menu of the unit.

5. What type of conflict mgmt? If you are talking about in recording set-up, all recording scheduling is done through the guide, therefore, it will not allow conflicts.

6. IF the guide is informed of a schedule change, then the recording time will be altered. You can also adjust the sceduled recording to start early or end late if you desire.

7. You do not need to keep the unit in any power state for scheduled recordings. If it is off prior to recording, it will turn back off afterwards. If it was on, it will remain on. The only power setting requirements are that you must have it OFF to receive guide data.

8. NO noise or heat!

9. My Comcast connected found 211 channels, some had nothing on them though (InDemand PPV).
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page