Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 7206 Old 02-20-2004, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
PhillyC,
You're right and I'm wrong. Now that I remember it, that is exactly what my Mits VCR did - power didn't stop the timed recording - only Stop did so.
It is most inconvientent that way the 3410A has implemented the Power Off. The more I think about it, the less I understand their decision.

Always something.

I haven't put up an antenna yet, so all I'm getting are basic analog channels from my calbe company. I was never able to watch these stations on my 96" screen before, but with the 3410A some of the better stations seem almost as good as a DVD. Certainly they are watchable. Even the not so good stations are watchable. I'm impressed and I've not even seen any digital or HD TV on the thing yet.

I am hoping that the weather isn't terrible tomorrow so I can climb up on the roof and put up the antenna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 7206 Old 02-21-2004, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why is the freakin color blue????

EDIT: Hehe. That's what I get for trying to read and post in several threads at the same time... sorry.
post #183 of 7206 Old 02-21-2004, 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by merc
Why is the freakin color blue????

Huh?
post #184 of 7206 Old 02-21-2004, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

I don't think he's dangerous. Just avoid making eye contact, and keep moving.
post #185 of 7206 Old 02-21-2004, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by umr
I have had a chance to look at mine a little closer.

Observations:
  • Much better frequency sweep response with 720p DVE than Samsung
  • Pixel Phase test pattern looks much better than Samsung
  • Bowtie does not look as good as Samsung
  • It will not show you the image as you fast forward or rewind D-VHS like the Samsung
  • I am getting many more audio dropouts at this time OTA with the 3410A
  • The DVI level needs to be set to Expand to match SIR-T165 calibration

Edit: The dropouts seem to be occuring in Variable 1 and not when I choose 1080i or 720p.

What "bowtie" are you referring to?

I do get a picture on Mits D-VHS FF through the 3410A, choppy just like through the T165.

So far, I seem to be getting fewer dropouts. I needed dual RS double bowtie antennas with the T165, but now it appears I can cut back to a single antenna. Plus I've doubled the number of OTA stations I'm getting.

Haven't tried the DVI yet because the component looks great. Do you see a noticeable improvement with DVI?

Phil
post #186 of 7206 Old 02-21-2004, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Hyrax
PhillyC,

It is most inconvientent that way the 3410A has implemented the Power Off. The more I think about it, the less I understand their decision.

Always something.

Yes, the only reason for building in discrete power codes is for HT systems. Hard to understand how they missed the timer/power issue.

Always something, indeed. I just noticed that if you switch outputs (say to AV1) and then go back to component, the memory of the previous component resolution setting is not retained. That is, since AV1 out forces 480i, the 480i resolution remains when you switch back to component out. I won't be switching outputs much anyway, but this is another minor annoyance.

Nevertheless, this box is WAY better than my old Sammy and D-VHS setup.

Phil
post #187 of 7206 Old 02-21-2004, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

OK, since the Guide couldn't find the OTA channels with the "cable - yes" setting, I told the 3410A I have no cable and disconnected the cable RF. The unit then downloaded the digital OTA channels. Included are minor channels I can't get any signal for, so the info must come from my zip code setting.

BUT --- just as with the cable channels, every OTA channel in the Guide says "no listing".

Are any of you in Chicago and getting OTA program listings?

Phil
post #188 of 7206 Old 02-21-2004, 11:42 AM

Anyone with NY Cablevision getting MSG HD through the qam tuner? And if so on which channel? I do get several channels (at times) that I don't sub to , but can't find MSGHD channel just to see if it ever tunes in. Have noticed that if you toggle back and forth sometimes on a no signal channel, some channel does tune in.
post #189 of 7206 Old 02-21-2004, 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by PhillyC
OK, since the Guide couldn't find the OTA channels with the "cable - yes" setting, I told the 3410A I have no cable and disconnected the cable RF. The unit then downloaded the digital OTA channels.

I'm having a similar problem in that the Guide seems to only want to operate in an either Cable or OTA mode. When I told it I had antenna it downloaded the OTA channels, and then when I told it I had Cable, it downloaded the cable channels, but deleted the OTA channels out of the guide. My Cable has some programs unscrambled that I want to get from cable, but I prefer to receive the channels that I can get OTA through my antenna rather than through the cable source. Can I set the guide up with some channels reflecting the OTA and also the Cable stuff I want to get off cable?
post #190 of 7206 Old 02-21-2004, 12:25 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

What "bowtie" are you referring to?

I do get a picture on Mits D-VHS FF through the 3410A, choppy just like through the T165.

So far, I seem to be getting fewer dropouts. I needed dual RS double bowtie antennas with the T165, but now it appears I can cut back to a single antenna. Plus I've doubled the number of OTA stations I'm getting.

Haven't tried the DVI yet because the component looks great. Do you see a noticeable improvement with DVI?

The "bowtie" I am refering to is a test pattern on DVE. Here is what it should look like:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...-wfm-large.jpg

I used to get no dropouts with my Samsung. I am still getting them with the deck set at 1080i as well.

I have not component, but I will get back with you on which looks best. Not sure it will let me use DVE through the 3410A over component.
post #191 of 7206 Old 02-21-2004, 01:25 PM

On my guide, I had only setup cable channels but the next day the last listings were the ota, which I never set.
post #192 of 7206 Old 02-21-2004, 02:00 PM

Simple solution. If you want to tune to an OTA HD version of the same channel available on Cable, go into the Guide Setup and remap that cable listing to the OTA channel number.
post #193 of 7206 Old 02-21-2004, 02:17 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

I have been comparing component and DVI outputs. I would not get too worried about using component. It has its pluses and minuses. DVI has a "little" more resolution. Component seems to have less noise and no "bowtie" problems with chroma timing. I am not sure which is best after looking at test patterns, but HD video test material looks very similar between the two.

I even tried the DVI cable shipped with the STB to see if that would help "bowtie", but no such luck.
post #194 of 7206 Old 02-21-2004, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by KornerKlub
Simple solution. If you want to tune to an OTA HD version of the same channel available on Cable, go into the Guide Setup and remap that cable listing to the OTA channel number.

KornerKlub,

If I do this, will I lose the cable channel in the Guide? It would seem so, although the cable channel will remain in the channel memory, just not the Guide. And what Guide info will the remapped channel give you - OTA or cable?

Another alternative appears to be to download the cable Guide first, then change to "cable - no". The cable channels are retained in the Guide, followed by the OTA's. (Doing it in the reverse order does NOT retain the OTA's.) But probably you won't get cable channel Guide info, since the 3410A was told "cable - no".

Of course, in my case, I still can't get program info for ANY Guide channels, only "no listing".

Phil
post #195 of 7206 Old 02-21-2004, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by umr
I have been comparing component and DVI outputs. I would not get too worried about using component. It has its pluses and minuses. DVI has a "little" more resolution. Component seems to have less noise and no "bowtie" problems with chroma timing. I am not sure which is best after looking at test patterns, but HD video test material looks very similar between the two.

I even tried the DVI cable shipped with the STB to see if that would help "bowtie", but no such luck.

OK, thanks. I think I'll use component and reserve the TV DVI for a cableco HD box , which I'll add later this year and which may be more in need of the DVI connection.

Phil
post #196 of 7206 Old 02-21-2004, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by spike4
On my guide, I had only setup cable channels but the next day the last listings were the ota, which I never set.

spike,

So you connected the RF for both cable and OTA, told the box "cable - yes", and both cable AND OTA appeared in the Guide? That does not happen for me, and KornerKlub didn't seem to get those results either, since he had to remap to OTA channels.

Are you getting program info for both in the Guide? Or "no lisitng" like me?

Phil
post #197 of 7206 Old 02-21-2004, 03:16 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

I just upgraded mine with a 200GB Seagate drive. It is a little loader than the original at times, but not terrible. I moved the jumper on mine to match the settings in the STB (single drive configuration) before putting it in.
post #198 of 7206 Old 02-21-2004, 03:16 PM

Has anyone tried transferring AVX-1 recordings from DVHS to the 3410's hard drive? I'm hoping there won't be any problems with this. It's the only reason I haven't ordered a 3410 yet. I'm waiting to see if this is possible....Jeff
post #199 of 7206 Old 02-21-2004, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Has anyone tried the RGBHV output? I've not been able to hook mine up because I do not have 5 BNC to RCA adapters. Why couldnt they use BNC connectors instead of the VGA connector like most high end equipment uses. The bandpass certainly would have been better. Re. bowtie--have you looked at your cables and connectors. It is important on the RGB to maintain the 75 ohm termination consistently.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #200 of 7206 Old 02-21-2004, 03:20 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

MrHifi,

The bowtie problem is not on analog. It is on digital (DVI). My Beldin cable worked fine with my Samsung SIR-T165 before. No bowtie problems with Samsung on analog or digital.
post #201 of 7206 Old 02-21-2004, 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by umr
MrHifi,

The bowtie problem is not on analog. It is on digital (DVI). My Beldin cable worked fine with my Samsung SIR-T165 before. No bowtie problems with Samsung on analog or digital.

Are you saying that the 3410 has messed up the MPEG decompression, adding chroma problems digitally?
Perhaps the 3410 has some option to "improve" the video that it doesn't do too well on. What MPEG decoder does the 3410 use? Maybe its not as good as the one in the 165.
post #202 of 7206 Old 02-21-2004, 06:01 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by TooLittleTimeZZZ
Are you saying that the 3410 has messed up the MPEG decompression, adding chroma problems digitally?
Perhaps the 3410 has some option to "improve" the video that it doesn't do too well on. What MPEG decoder does the 3410 use? Maybe its not as good as the one in the 165.

I did not look at what MPEG decoder it was using. The decoder is better than the Samsung overall. The PQ of this STB is better than my Samsung on DVI and component. The audio on the 3410A is has WAY more dropouts though.

I don't believe it is the decoder creating the chroma problem on DVI. It would show up on component if that was the case. I am only seeing it on DVI.

I do not see any options to improve video other than the expand mode. I'll have to take a look and see if changing that effects this. I doubt it will though. I only saw it changing black levels.
post #203 of 7206 Old 02-21-2004, 06:15 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

TooLittleTimeZZZ,

I did some more experimentation on the chroma issue. It is not happening on 1080i. It is only on 720p with DVI. The DVI level does not impact this problem.

This must be why I am still seeing excellent HD images. I am mostly looking at 1080i sources. However, the 720p test images on DVE look very good even with some chroma issues.
post #204 of 7206 Old 02-21-2004, 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by umr
I did not look at what MPEG decoder it was using. The decoder is better than the Samsung overall. The PQ of this STB is better than my Samsung on DVI and component. The audio on the 3410A is has WAY more dropouts though.

I don't believe it is the decoder creating the chroma problem on DVI. It would show up on component if that was the case. I am only seeing it on DVI.

I do not see any options to improve video other than the expand mode. I'll have to take a look and see if changing that effects this. I doubt it will though. I only saw it changing black levels.

Since DVI is just sending the same digital video to the set that the component D/A converter gets, its hard to see any reason for the DVI to be worse. Unless, that is, your TV is scaling the digital input.

What TV is the DVI going to? If its an analog TV that could be the cause of your problem.
post #205 of 7206 Old 02-21-2004, 09:40 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by TooLittleTimeZZZ
Since DVI is just sending the same digital video to the set that the component D/A converter gets, its hard to see any reason for the DVI to be worse. Unless, that is, your TV is scaling the digital input.

What TV is the DVI going to? If its an analog TV that could be the cause of your problem.

That is not it. I have used DVI with the Samsung with the same TV and cable and had no bow-tie problems over DVI. The 3410A must be doing something wrong translating the MPEG stream to the DVI format for 720p. There is more to getting a DVI output than sending the decoded stream out of the player. I don't have drawings for this set so it is difficult to speculate what could be happening.
post #206 of 7206 Old 02-21-2004, 10:52 PM

[quote]Originally posted by PhillyC
[b]spike,

So you connected the RF for both cable and OTA, told the box "cable - yes", and both cable AND OTA appeared in the Guide? That does not happen for me, and KornerKlub didn't seem to get those results either, since he had to remap to OTA channels.

Are you getting program info for both in the Guide? Or "no lisitng" like me?

Philly, that's exactly what I did. I didn't read the manual, just hooked up both and said yes for cable (was looking for msghd, so didn't care about ota), then I read manual and figured I did it wrong, not setting up ota first and was going to correct in morning, but when guide popped up ota were at the end, and with program info. Maybe depends on area?
post #207 of 7206 Old 02-22-2004, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

[quote]Originally posted by spike4
[b]
Quote:

spike,

Philly, that's exactly what I did. I didn't read the manual, just hooked up both and said yes for cable (was looking for msghd, so didn't care about ota), then I read manual and figured I did it wrong, not setting up ota first and was going to correct in morning, but when guide popped up ota were at the end, and with program info. Maybe depends on area?

spike4,

Thanks. I think I see what's happening now. I have a problem with my cheapo cable company box, but will be switching to Comcast in a few weeks. Right now, I can't get any Guide info when the 3410A is set to cable. Interestingly, when set for OTA only, the Guide downloads info for all OTA and cable channels. But cable channels can't be tuned because the cable RF is apparently disabled.

In short, the answer is to wait for my new cable company and then set up the 3410A the same way you did. Meanwhile, it works great for just OTA, which is really the reason I wanted it anyway.

Phil
post #208 of 7206 Old 02-22-2004, 10:16 AM

You're welcome and gl Phil; have you tried to bypass your box and put cable directly in just to see what happens?
post #209 of 7206 Old 02-22-2004, 01:22 PM
jcg
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Anyone know how the skip works on this unit. I have a Replay that I use for watching most cable shows and it has a 30 second skip button which is perfect for quickly skipping through commercials as was wondering if this is the same way the 3410 works. Thanks.

John
post #210 of 7206 Old 02-22-2004, 01:41 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by jcg
Anyone know how the skip works on this unit. I have a Replay that I use for watching most cable shows and it has a 30 second skip button which is perfect for quickly skipping through commercials as was wondering if this is the same way the 3410 works. Thanks.

John

The manual indicates it is a smart skip function. Here is a quote from the manual.

Quote:

During playback, use SKIP (+/?) to skip to the next/previous scene.
Smart Skip analyzes the video scenes and cues playback to the next scene.

Drag & Play is more what you are looking for.

Quote:

Use drag & play to skip some fixed time intervals, drag & play will help.
Current playback position keeps moving while arrow is pressed. Playback
starts at the position when arrow is released.
During Playback/Timeshift, press arrow and release at the starting point
of the section you want to watch.

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page