The Official Dish Network DVR-921 Support Forum! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-03-2004, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don - no, the problem is definitely not monitor specific. If you don't see the blue lines (like I don't with mine), then your 921 wasn't part of the bad batch that slipped through the QA process.

Mark Lamutt
www.DBSTalk.Com - A Proud Member of the AVS Community
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2004, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Sent mine Monday and am still waiting..they did call today and said work is in process and are hopeful to ship tomorrow, so I guess Mon. delivery at the earliest. Mark me down as a 1wk+ turnaround..oh well.

Vizio M801D-A3

JimK

Old 02-06-2004, 01:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Thanks, Barry and Mark. Man, I really looked for it using all the symptoms that were posted. Luck of the draw, I guess.

I don't find it odd that a production run batch had the problem. They must have gotten in some bad capacitors that were not the correct value as stated on the part. A bad capacitor has happened before and in an analog circuit this could shift the video chroma timing and definitly cause something like I saw in the pictures.

Mark any way we can get a handle on the range of serial numbers from those who have the problem and get that range/list posted. Can we do this on dbstalks? I think this would be worth while data.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Landis
Mark any way we can get a handle on the range of serial numbers from those who have the problem and get that range/list posted. Can we do this on dbstalks? I think this would be worth while data.
Good idea, as usual.

I have 2 921's in my house right now.

The first is the one I got from Dish King that acted up last week on he second day of using it - unplugged it for a couple of hours and that fixed it.

Works fine now and I can not see that blue line people talk about.

DISH (not DISH KING) sent another one to swap out with the 'bad 'one.
Might as well.

I am going to hook it up tomorrow and had planned on noting the 2 serial numbers anyway.

Joe
Old 02-06-2004, 08:42 PM

I want to have 2 HD displays (LCD projector and LCD 17 flat panel) hooked up to a 921 and view them simultaneously.

Since I can't get my hands on a 921 yet I was wondering if any of you lucking owners could tell me if the 921 will output 2 HD signals at the same time or do you have to choose one or the other outputs like on the 6000 via the menu system?

If it can't do 2 HD signals at one time can it do an HD signal and an S-Video signal simultaneously?

THANKS!
Old 02-06-2004, 11:11 PM

With RGB and component, you could get a "splitter" or "distribution amplifier", but DVI/HDCP is a bit more tricky. There needs to be a "conversation" between the display and STB, so two displays couldn't be chained together on one output.

Maybe someone will make some sort of "intelligent DVI/HDCP hub" that can make the STB think it is speaking to one display, then the hub starts separate conversations to multiple displays?
Old 02-07-2004, 12:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Regardless there are new solutions to what you want to do, Coop1

Here are some options and I have tested these so I know they work.

The 921 will output component and DVI simultaneously. Just connect to your monitor and watch. Simple.

I have connected the RGBHV adapter cable to the DVI port and it works but I don't have a splitter cable that outputs both DVI and RGBHV at the same time. So I can't test that.

Another new FPTV was introduced by Dwin. It is the dual DVI output dual DVI input scaler with 8 other analog inputs. This latest TV3 is designed to do exactly what you want with all DVI. It is the only dual switchable DVI input with dual DVI output box on the market.

What the 921 will not do is simultaneously output from the Y/C or composite as the HD connectors like the Component and DVI/RGBHV. There is a toggle SD/HD button to switch.

FYI- The 921 has created a need here. I ordered yesterday a small 16x9 LCD monitor to mount in the equipment rack. This monitor is a high res one from Marshall but is strictly NTSC composite video input. The purpose is to be able to program recordings while the Projector and rest of the HT is powered down. The plan is to turn on the LCD monitor, select the HD/SD output toggle to SD and display the channel guide and make recording timer setups without needing to power up the rest of the system. Then I when finished setting up the timers, I can select SD/HD back to HD again and power the monitor and 921 off.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I tried to get a serial number range from Dish about 3 weeks ago, but they didn't have all of the data in yet. I'll see what I can come up with now, if they'll agree to release it to the public.

As for dual HD outputs simultaneously, the 921 will only output DVI and component together if the DVI port is connected to an analog monitor. If the DVI port is connected to a digital DVI display device, the component outputs get shut off.

Mark Lamutt
Old 02-07-2004, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by markdl

As for dual HD outputs simultaneously, the 921 will only output DVI and component together if the DVI port is connected to an analog monitor. If the DVI port is connected to a digital DVI display device, the component outputs get shut off.
Interesting. That explains why the dual output works for some and not for others.

In my case, I have the component outputs going to my plasma. I connected the DVI to a Mits 22" widescreen HD LCD (1280x768). With a DVI-D cable, I had simultaneous output when the 921 was set to 720p, but not when the 921 was set to 1080 output. With a DVI-I cable, I couldn't get simultaneous output at any HD resolution.

What's the mechanism here? Does a digital display send back some information to the 921 that results in the component outputs being turned off?
Old 02-07-2004, 09:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

That is interesting as I also thought is was one or the other. Plasm DVI definitely digital. I guess this is the "full throughput" digital stream vs analog hole nonsense logic..

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry G
What's the mechanism here? Does a digital display send back some information to the 921 that results in the component outputs being turned off?
Yes.

Mark Lamutt
Old 02-08-2004, 03:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

I am using a DVI-D cable and have 1080i output active. My component Y, Pr, Pb, outputs are simultaneously active.

My RGBHV cable adapter is actually a DVI-A to VGA DB15HD adapter cable.

I was looking for a DVI-I to Y with DB15HD on one leg and DVI on the other to test but couldn't find the Y cable. I plan to poke around at NAB to see if one can be even made to work. I could buy the parts and build one myself but the results are not that important to me to spend the time with it. :)
Old 02-08-2004, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I tried to get a serial number range from Dish about 3 weeks ago, but they didn't have all of the data in yet. I'll see what I can come up with now, if they'll agree to release it to the public.

Interesting to see the range of serial numbers that I got over a 2 week period.

I had posted that I got a 921 from Dish King and then DISH decided it was broken and sent me a replacement directly from Echostar.

Only had last night to check out the new unit but neither one of these exhibit that blue line problem.

The first one I got was serial #: RAE HEN 00497M
The replacement one was : RAE HEN 01218M

That is a delta of 721 units.

There is also a Main Board #.
'old' Unit #1 was 230109BN 00475L
'new'Unit #2 was 230109BN 01726M

I wonder if the last letter is a board rev letter

Joe
Old 02-13-2004, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Just got word back from Dish about the serial numbers. They don't have a range of 921s that are affected. But, the manufacturing problem is fixed, so there won't be any more coming off the line at any of the plants that will have this problem

Mark Lamutt
Old 02-20-2004, 07:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

FYI-

The latest software upgrade was sent out a day early, as in last evening before 8PM. My upgrade happened automatically with no intervention on my part. It actually caught me by surprise. Seems that OTA stability is much improved but need to have a few days on it before I'm certain. Mark has said he will post a list of fixes and additions at dbstalk today.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The list of L146 fixes has been posted in this thread: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=24006

Mark Lamutt
Old 02-20-2004, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The list of L146 fixes has been posted in this thread: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=24006
I had asked the CSR yesterday (pre 146) if this caller id was a known issue. She looked through all her documentation for a few minutes and said "no reports on any issue with caller id not working on the 921 so it must be a HW problem"
So she is shipping me a replacement 921.

Now today, Since 146 fixed my caller id issue,I called this morning to try and stop the shipment of my 3rd replacement 921 but they said it was already shipped.
I am out $14.95 for shipping a replacement that I don't need.

I asked the CSR if he had the list of fixes that 146 fixed.

He said he did not.
I asked him "Don't you think it odd that as a consumer, I have access to a complete list of what was fixed and you, the 921 tech person, does NOT"

He said "yes but that is the way it is around here. It takes weeks for us to get updated info on receivers. This is not the greatest managed company that I have worked for"

I wrote a polite letter to C.J.Meany telling him of this situation and that this poor management is costing DISH a lot of money. I put in the letter that I know of a person who is on his 6th replacement and 4 of them were because caller id did not work due to a SW problem.

Next time I hear someone going on about the military wasting money, I am going to tell that person my story about Echostar.

Joe
Old 02-20-2004, 05:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Joe- My caller ID has always worked. I just had to check it on in the menu setup. I find it odd that your caller ID was fixed with the software upgrade.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:10 PM
mdv
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Q

Now today, Since 146 fixed my caller id issue,I called this morning to try and stop the shipment of my 3rd replacement 921 but they said it was already shipped.
I am out $14.95 for shipping a replacement that I don't need.

Joe
So you returned a 921 just because caller ID didn't work?

Aren't there a lot of more important issues/bugs to be worried about at this point? Forgive me, but I don't use caller ID so maybe I don't understand. I have a telezapper and an answering machine to deal with unwanted calls.

Mark
Old 02-21-2004, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mdv
So you returned a 921 just because caller ID didn't work?

Aren't there a lot of more important issues/bugs to be worried about at this point? Forgive me, but I don't use caller ID so maybe I don't understand. I have a telezapper and an answering machine to deal with unwanted calls.

Mark
You are missing the point completely.

I knew this 921 was buggy when I decided to buy one and can live with SW bugs because that was my choice. That is why no one has ever read any SW complaints from me.

Hardware is a totally different beast.
Broken HW is NOT acceptable on a brand new, $1000 piece of equipment.

Are you a member of the 'it works good enough' club?
I am not. If I buy something I expect zero HW defects.

Think about this also. Suppose you wanted to sell this thing after the warranty period?
You can not sell it on Ebay and list it as 'works perfectly'.

Joe
Old 02-21-2004, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Joe- My caller ID has always worked. I just had to check it on in the menu setup. I find it odd that your caller ID was fixed with the software upgrade.
Don,
It worked on 921 #1 which then died completely after a week.

Not so on 921 #2.

I am not the only one either. When I see an anomoly with the 921, I go straight to dbstalk.com and see if it is a known problem.

As you know, That is the definitive place to go for 921 issues/information.
I have seen you posting in there.

Sure enough:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=21955
has a mixture of folks where caller id worked on some and not on others.
No one in there could get a handle on whether it was a HW or SW issue.

The DISH csr incorrectly decided it was a HW issue.

Joe
Old 02-21-2004, 09:54 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Thank you Don. My caller ID apparently has always worked too. I first went to "staying in touch" on the menu. It listed my caller ID history. Then I went to the preference section and selected the caller ID pop up. It now is working. I have had the 921 for a month now and have not had much of a chance to use it. Ray

Ray
Old 02-21-2004, 03:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Joe- I agree there are some very strange issues surrounding some people with their 921's. Blue lines streaking, spontaneous rebooting while watching for hours and not really doing anything and yours and several others who have issues with the caller ID. One of these was actually answering the phone with a modem signal. Really odd.
Is it hardware? I think it might be on this stuff and agree that you need to get it exchanged as quickly as possible. With firmware, at least that can be corrected with forced download to reinstall your current firmware or just get the next upgrade. What I can't understand if your hardware is working perfectly, why the same software that we both have loaded doesn't work on your 921 and it does for others.

Also, note that with caller ID specifically, may be filtered out with some external phone devices such as ring master decypher. I have one of those here for extra virtual lines and that filters caller ID but allows inbound and outbound coded rings and call privacy. If I want caller ID, I can only have those phones upstream of the Ring Master Cypher box. I assume you do not use anything like this that would filter your Call ID.
Thus, it is a mystery.

FWIW- I still find the OTA problems flaky after L146. I also have run into some oddities with the new warning screen for exceeding two tuners. I'm not sure I like the new fix to this issue as the old way, IMHO, worked better until you got a reboot.
Old 02-21-2004, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

FWIW- I still find the OTA problems flaky after L146. I also have run into some oddities with the new warning screen for exceeding two tuners. I'm not sure I like the new fix to this issue as the old way, IMHO, worked better until you got a reboot.

Yup, I tried out the OTA again and it is still flaky.

So, I continue to use my PC based OTA HD recorder. It is a better system to use anyway because the the limit of disc space is a function of my wallet and I can record/playback on my MITS D-VHS.

The OTA capabiity of the 921 is still just a novelty item for me anyway becuase there is no program guide info as to what is on like there is on my PC based system. Plus about 10 more reasons.

I found the OTA implementation on my now sold 6000 to be lacking and I wonder if the 921 will always be plagued as well in that area.

Joe
Old 03-01-2004, 06:09 AM

If the first in house test of a new product is called Alpha testing, and if Beta testing is where selected end users try to find the missed bugs in a new product. Does this make every current 921 owner a "Charley" tester?

Joby in Fredericksburg
Old 03-02-2004, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Dish and Gemstar TV-Guide just announced an agreement for use of patent and TV guide. Is this what we were waiting for to make the 921 perform according to specs?

Sergio

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
Old 05-25-2004, 08:48 PM

I'm trying to find a solution for HD with PVR capabilties for a Samsung HLN43. I like the Dish Network's current offers, but it seems to me the 921 (from the post I have read, buggy at best) is the only solution available. For $$$$, you are committed to a proprietary device in a rapidly changing HD market.
Are there other hardware solutions using the provided HD receivers from Dish and and a 3rd party compatible HD PVR?

I could use some help...

Thanks
Old 05-26-2004, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting. For an 'Official 921' thread, dalzar's is the first post in here since MARCH.

Did everyone go elsewhere, like Cable and Directv for their DVR capabilties?

I know I did as I ditched my 921 and am loving the HD TIVO. What a concept - it actually just simply works:)

Sorry dalzar, none that I know of.

Joe
Old 05-26-2004, 10:45 PM

Is your HD TiVo compliant with any sat. feed or only D*TV? I guess my real question here, is therea way to use TiVo which appears to be an intelligent DV recorder with a separate tuner? What is the connection? Can I still go DVI for HD?
Old 05-27-2004, 01:56 PM

The only TiVo that can record HD is the DirectTV version - it will only record their sat chans or OTA from an antenna.