Closed Thread

post #1 of 121 Old 12-22-2003, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
**posted with permission from Ken-H**

Word is that the 921s are now rolling out to retailers, who should have the first wave in hand by the end of this week.

If you've been following the 921 developments over the last couple of weeks, you know that I've been working very closely with the 921 developers to provide a realistic view of the 921 operation. Yes, there are some problems with it, which will be present when you get it in your hands, but it's reasonably stable. The Dish release strategy seems to be to roll out a few hundred units initially before wide release.

To aid the developers of the 921 at Eldon, DBSTalk has opened the Official Dish DVR-921 Support Forum. This forum is the place that the 921 developers will read to gather the bug reports and feature requests for the 921.

The support forum is not a standard forum. It is highly moderated (unlike any of the other DBSTalk forums), and has very specific rules for posting. This is an area that the Dish folks can very quickly gather the bug reports they need to make the 921 a better product. In essence, this forum marks the beginning of Dish Network's return to the online community. So, before posting, please read the rules presented in the forum.

Click Here to Enter the Official Dish Network DVR-921 Support Forum

Mark Lamutt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- A Proud Member of the AVS Community
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 121 Old 12-23-2003, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

An update for those of you who may still get the 921 this week:

I have posted a report of the BUG in the support forum dealing with what it is and what to do if you encounter it. It's supposed to have been fixed in the new software version that was supposed to be downlinked yesterday, but I got word from Dish that the new software won't be available until after the 1st. So, anyone who gets lucky enough to get their hands on a 921 over the next 2 weeks will have to deal with the BUG.

Mark Lamutt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 121 Old 01-22-2004, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Today, I received word from the Dish technical engineering division about the "blue line" problem some users have been having with the 921.

If you have vertical blue lines displayed from your 921 over the component or dvi outputs, please email dish ASAP at productelevation@echostar.com with your name and contact information. Someone from Dish will probably contact you shortly about the issue.

That email is to be used only for blue line 921 issues. All other messages sent to that address will be ignored.

Mark Lamutt

post #4 of 121 Old 01-22-2004, 05:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just FYI I have recieved OFFICIAL word from Dish Network earlier tonight that L1.45 was signed off by Management and will (and is) being spooled tonight.

Remember while this does not correct all the Over The Air bugs it does make the unit more stable.

Scott
SatelliteGuys.US / MultiChannel News
post #5 of 121 Old 01-22-2004, 08:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Scott-
I don't think Mark can answer this but maybe you know.

Was this signoff an over-rule by management or was it with the blessings of the beta test team?

PS- Got word that my 921 has arrived. That's the good news. The bad news is I'm out of town on business again. edit- Just got my 921 picked up! 921 is in the house.

Eager to get this going now for the weekend!

Don Landis
post #6 of 121 Old 01-23-2004, 10:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Don I don't have an answer for that question, I just got a phone call when I was eating dinner letting me know about the upgrade and that it was signed off by management.

Also I just got OFFICIAL word from Dish.

If you got last nights update you need to REBOOT your unit for the upgrade to successsfully complete. If you do not reboot you may have more problems then you did before.

Scott
SatelliteGuys.US / MultiChannel News
post #7 of 121 Old 01-23-2004, 04:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Scott- Thanks. I just got home this evening and plan to do the install Saturday morning. The first download should be the new software L1.45 this 921 will see.

Don Landis
post #8 of 121 Old 01-23-2004, 10:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
I still have mine in the box. I am unsure what I am going to do. Call it what you want, but I am not inclined to accept a known "defective" product, be it a car or a PVR.

Guess I will wait awhile before deciding whether to keep it. Please keep the updated posts coming.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #9 of 121 Old 01-24-2004, 10:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mikey- So far my 921 has worked flawlessly save for a few tiny issues that I don't have replication enough right now to comment of. Overall it rocks!
So, if you want to try it, I'll vouch for Sat only channels working well. I may not get to trying the locals until tomorrow. My OTA antenna is still disconnected. If you bought the 921 primarily for locals that we have different goals for the 921. However, I suspect that having time shifting for locals may just increase my viewing of stuff that never interested me before mainly because I couldn't justify the odd time to watch, like Tonight show I hardly ever watch because I usually fall asleep then.

Don Landis
post #10 of 121 Old 01-24-2004, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Landis
However, I suspect that having time shifting for locals may just increase my viewing of stuff that never interested me before mainly because I couldn't justify the odd time to watch, like Tonight show I hardly ever watch because I usually fall asleep then.
Until I got the 921, it had been a long time since I saw Leno, as I'm asleep by the time it comes on. Now that I can finally record the show, and have done so a few times, I find that I still just don't like Leno that much. ;)

If only Letterman would finally be able to make the HD transition, I'd record it nightly.
post #11 of 121 Old 01-24-2004, 02:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Don: I could swear I've seen your 2:00 and 3:00 AM posts. I think you and I are the only ones up that late (early?).

I eagerly await your OTA result posts.

Mikey Mo
"OAR OR DIE"

post #12 of 121 Old 01-24-2004, 03:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

MIkey- Yep, I often sleep at strange times during the week but last night was not work related! :) I just got ambitious on the 921 to get it started.

I watched a couple of timer recordings today and the playback is flawless. NO JVC 40K picture breakups. Like watching live except all the DVR capabilities. I like the instant replay when you didn't catch something that was just said.

Don Landis
post #13 of 121 Old 01-24-2004, 05:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Greetings all. After upgrading the Non-HD receivers to an 801 and an 810 my 6000 is getting to be frustrating. No 9 day menu, no instant record...

We are fortunate in the Tampa Bay area with several HD OTA channels. Has anyone done any recording yet in HD of OTA programming? How does it look?

Thanks!

EricN
"You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike"

HT: Denon 4311CI, Denon DVD-5900, M&K S-150's LCR & ss-150's SL & SR, SVS PB12+, Oppo-BDP-83, Sony Cineza LCD, Stewart StudioTek 130 92"

2 Ch: MacMini,W4S DAC2 DSDse,VPI Scout 1.1&Dynavector 10X5,Cary SLI-80&Vandersteen 2Ce Signatures II's

post #14 of 121 Old 01-24-2004, 11:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
MIkey- Yep, I often sleep at strange times during the week but last night was not work related! :) I just got ambitious on the 921 to get it started.
Don: You up?:D

Mikey Mo
"OAR OR DIE"

post #15 of 121 Old 01-26-2004, 12:02 PM

Is this the place for the 921 or is it the one on the bbssat forum? In any case, I have the latest software but system still resets about once a day.... I tend to push my stuff, pressing buttons to do pip, and watching one show while recording another. System seems to hang when it is shifting modes (such as recording - then watching a show).... Other than the ocasional reboot and the 'not always recording what it has in the timers!' this unit rocks.... Very happy..... (will there be OTA progam info at any time soon????)

Creating TekClub - The Hi-Tech Business, Education & Social Club
post #16 of 121 Old 01-26-2004, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

You should go to the DBSTalk.com site, linked in the first post.

Hong.

i have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it. -- edgar allan poe
post #17 of 121 Old 01-26-2004, 03:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

I have only set about a dozen timers and every one has fired perfectly. Lucky, I guess. I have not tried to use a timer yet on the OTA channels but tonight I plan to to see how it fires off.

Don Landis
post #18 of 121 Old 01-26-2004, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I have only set about a dozen timers and every one has fired perfectly. Lucky, I guess. I have not tried to use a timer yet on the OTA channels but tonight I plan to to see how it fires off.
I've set a number of OTA timers and every one has been successful.
post #19 of 121 Old 01-26-2004, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry G
I've set a number of OTA timers and every one has been successful.
Have you ever had a successful OTA timer recording while a satellite recording was in progress? In my case, if a satellite channel is being recorded, the OTA timer will not activate.
post #20 of 121 Old 01-26-2004, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bogney Baux
Have you ever had a successful OTA timer recording while a satellite recording was in progress? In my case, if a satellite channel is being recorded, the OTA timer will not activate.
I know I've had both sat and OTA recordings going at the same time, both started by timers, and started at different times. I think I've done the test with sat first, then OTA, but I'm not completely sure.
post #21 of 121 Old 01-26-2004, 09:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Jerry- 2 ?'s

Have you been successful with recording two HD channels at the same time?
I had no problem recording an HBO HD and a HDNetMovie. Tonight I watched both and they were highly pixelated, about as much as a 169Time and JVC recording. Picture broke up everytime there was action motion in either. That same night, the timer recorded one more movie (one at a time) on HDNet and it was perfect!

On the OTA recordings. I can't do any timer recordings on any of our local channels because there is no guide info at all! 3 of the stations send the mapped channel while the others show up as the digital channel. The guide shows nothing, blank. If I attempt to set a timer, it does nothing. I can hit record on the DVR section of the remote and this will record the channel from that point on. When that recording is in progress, I can't watch another prerecorded program but I can watch another tuner on sat. If I try to record a sat channel at that time it tells me I have to stop the manual record for the OTA channel first.
I'm wondering if your locals have PSIP proper and that is why it works for you.

Don Landis
post #22 of 121 Old 01-26-2004, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
On the OTA recordings. I can't do any timer recordings on any of our local channels because there is no guide info at all! 3 of the stations send the mapped channel while the others show up as the digital channel. The guide shows nothing, blank. If I attempt to set a timer, it does nothing.
I had the same problem. I do not think it has anything to do with PSIP program information because I believe Dish receivers do not display it even if the station transmits it.

After hours of experimenting I have found the 3 conditions stated below will insure that a timed OTA recording will be successful on my 921. Sometimes all 3 are not necessary for a successful recording but I have never had a failure when I did all 3.

1. Set the offset times to zeros instead of the default 1 and 3.
2. Leave the 921 showing a live satellite channel instead of an OTA channel.
3. Do not have a satellite channel recording when the OTA timer activates.
post #23 of 121 Old 01-27-2004, 04:34 AM

Don,

I've done two simultaneous HD recordings many times with perfect results. I've seen others report pixelated recordings, but that was with OTA recordings with 1.42 software using the DTV channel scan. I'm not sure why you're getting pixelation. Try it again and see what happens.

All OTA recordings I've made have been with the manual timer. Until there is guide info, I don't think you'll be able to set a timer by selecting the OTA channel in the guide.

I've encountered the same problem you describe when initiating a recording manually using the Record button. It seems to happen if I chose the option to manually stop it. What option did you chose when you did a manual record and then couldn't change to another channel without getting the message that the recording must be stopped?
post #24 of 121 Old 01-27-2004, 08:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Jerry-
I was talking to my wife this morning about the bad recordings and she apparently was up at that time and said, "Well you know it was raining"

Guess that answers that question about picture pixels. I probably was in the middle of rain fade!

Bogney- Thanks for your listings there. I had read this some time back but forgot the rules.

Back to trying to do the recording timers for OTA again.

Jerry- Can't answer your question as I forgot. It did bring up a menu that only gave one choice. Need to repeat to see how I got into that selection to stop. In fact, I need to study the manual on this manual recording as I'm sure I'm not doing it right. It can't be this difficult considering how easy the guide recording is.

Back now after RTFM. I set up a timer on one of my remaining OTA channels. It fired off fine. Followed Bogney guidelines too.
But I discovered another strange happening. Boy this OTA is really funky!

I had all my OTA stations manually entered. However, all but the two stations that appear as "NONE" in the guide i.e. no call letters, had no signal. They all had strong signal when I entered them. The ones with no call letters still were there. With the other channels - I removed from the guide and re- added them. Now they were back to watch. I figured out what caused them to not be found signalwise and that was a forced reboot of the 921 (Power button pressed for 10 seconds). This I believe has been reported by others for L145 but the strange part is those two stations that appear as "NONE" in the guide don't get lost. Damn confusing! Those two stations are actually lower power than the rest, too.
It seems that I need to re-add the OTA channels after evey reboot.

They sure have a number of issues with this OTA to fix.

Don Landis
post #25 of 121 Old 01-27-2004, 09:02 AM

Are the HD channels more susceptible to rainfade?

Markd
post #26 of 121 Old 01-27-2004, 09:54 AM

Quote:
But I discovered another strange happening. Boy this OTA is really funky!

I had all my OTA stations manually entered. However, all but the two stations that appear as "NONE" in the guide i.e. no call letters, had no signal. They all had strong signal when I entered them. The ones with no call letters still were there. With the other channels - I removed from the guide and re- added them. Now they were back to watch. I figured out what caused them to not be found signalwise and that was a forced reboot of the 921 (Power button pressed for 10 seconds). This I believe has been reported by others for L145 but the strange part is those two stations that appear as "NONE" in the guide don't get lost. Damn confusing! Those two stations are actually lower power than the rest, too.
It seems that I need to re-add the OTA channels after evey reboot.

They sure have a number of issues with this OTA to fix.
That's weird, Don. As far as I can tell, I haven't lost my OTA channels after a reboot. There are two channels in Los Angeles that I can't add. Both do not have PSIP info. The other channels have PSIP info with the call letters, and they seem to stick after a reboot. While OTA is certainly more stable with 1.45, there's a long way to go before OTA functions smoothly.

It's funny. Even with all the quirks, occasional reboots, etc., I'm really enjoying the 921. I avoid certain things that I know can lead to a reboot, but by and large I'm able to do what I want to do with the 921 and haven't lost a recording yet.

I find I'm rarely watching shows live now. Especially the network shows. Just love how easy it is to fast forward through the commercials, and reverse if I go a bit too far. With the 921 and it's easy time shifting, I now watch the shows at my convenience instead of being a slave to the schedule. That makes putting up with the 921's quirks much more palatable. If Dish can really stabilize the 921 over the next few months, I'll be even happier with the 921.
post #27 of 121 Old 01-27-2004, 10:10 AM

I'm in Venice, CA. Getting my 921 on Thursday. What OTA can I expect to get or not? Glad to see a post from a 921 owner in the neighborhood...
post #28 of 121 Old 01-27-2004, 11:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Agree, Jerry. Same here. As for SAT channels, it is like greased lightning. So rare I even get a reboot. The OTA is another issue. But what I do like is watching an OTA show near live. I have been waiting until 20 minutes after the hour to begin a show. Then when the C. Breaks come up, I just skip through them.
Now that I understand how to get the manual timer working I plan to set up Dish's version of season pass and do a weekly schedule. This should work unless I reboot. Then I'll just have to remember to enter those channels again so the timer will fire.
This is not much different than the 169Time issues. There are plenty there too but one just has to learn them and remember to avoid conditions that caused that system to burp. For me, the 169Time has been lowered in usage now as I don't run those DF420 tapes over and over for time shifting. The 921 is the new time shifting tool now because it is so much easier.

I have also defined my blue border problem. It is the 921 causing it. I now know how to eliminate it or have it. Simply- it shows up on all sat channels AFTER leaving viewing the DVR recording and returning to a live sat channel. IF I go to an OTA channel briefly after viewing the DVR recorded program, the blue border disappears on the sat channels until I once again view a recorded program. Strange, but this is now defined and repeatable. I'm going to take some pictures and post them to Mark Lamutt's 921 bug report forum as well as send it to my inside contact at E*. I have a DVI computer monitor too and I may take the time to connect it to the 921 to see if the problem is on that monitor also.
At least now I know how to get rid of it as it was quite annoying!

Don Landis
post #29 of 121 Old 01-27-2004, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Don, Jerry and others:

Based on your past experience with the 921, would you say all the glitches can be corrected by software in new releases or you believe there are hardware issues as well? I can live with software problems for a while but I'm afraid some of the bugs can't be fixed by software. My 6000 OTA is still very buggy after 2 years . So far I'm only aware of one hardware issue (the blue vertical bars). Are you suspicious of any other hardware problem?

Thanks

Sergio

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #30 of 121 Old 01-27-2004, 12:52 PM

Sergio,

I suspect that the vast majority of the problems are software related. There was one issue recently that was hardware related and users will return their units (at Dish's expense) for repair or replacement (the blue vertical bar problem you mention). I think this only affects a few users and is a very unusual circumstance.

Aside from that, I believe that the majority of bugs will get fixed in software, and hopefully in the next few months. But as you and I (and others with 6000s) know, there is a possibility that some bugs may never get fixed. No one really knows. But keep in mind that this situation exists with other receivers. You'll continue to read posts of complaints about unresolved bugs in Sony's DirecTV STBs and many others.

We all wish this wasn't the case, but it just seems to be a fact of life as electronics get more complicated.There is no guarantee, but as I'm sure you've read, even with the bugs, many of us are very happy with the 921 and just have to have the faith that it will quickly improve as the bugs are resolved.
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page