PC DTV Technologies launches the World's 1st HDTV MPEG4 PC Digital Recording Software - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 72 Old 01-02-2004, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.hidef.nl/en/news.php?id=3

I wonder if the statement that it will keep HDTV quality is true.
But it sounds like a nice peace of software

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old 01-02-2004, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This might be an interesting toy to pair with the (presumably) upcoming Samsung WM9 DVD player. I can envision transcoding my 200+ collection of D-VHS HD tapes to DVD-R+ in WM9 format.

Now all we need is a wealthy and willing (and employed, unlike myself) AVS kind soul to beta test this baby for us and report back here immediately!:p

HDTV Early Adopter
post #3 of 72 Old 01-03-2004, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

A review would be nice indeed.

It seems that this is the company's first big product so its a big guess how good the quality will be of the software as we dont have any experience with this company

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 72 Old 01-03-2004, 11:10 AM

I wish there was a free beta to play with. This looks really cool....
post #5 of 72 Old 01-03-2004, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm...I fail to see what the big attraction is here. This product looks like a front-end. It doesn't appear to offer anything that you can't do with the Divx codecs and Virtual Dub or WME9 (both of which are free). The only thing I see is an attractive and easy to use interface. I don't know if most people will consider that worth $150.

Am I missing anything here?

--Jerome

post #6 of 72 Old 01-03-2004, 05:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 23
How long does it take to encode a 2 hour movie in WM9?

While it can be done already, frame accurate editing inside the existing software is a nice feature. I wouldn't mind picking something like this up, but I don't have a lot of stuff to encode. If I were to find somebody who had taped a lot of info, I would work something out with them to do it for them. I have a pretty beefy home network (3.5TB storage, gigE, a half dozen P4 2.4 or higher) that could churn out a lot of files in a relatively short amount of time, I would think.

For film encoding, it probably isn't as attractive as it would be for TV encoding and removal of commercials.

post #7 of 72 Old 01-03-2004, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

If you are using the AVIsynth decomb plugin for IVTC and mpeg2dec3.dll with Windows Media Enocoder 9, then doing a 2 hour movie will take about 12 to 14 hours using one-pass quality VBR on a 2.4GHz P4 non-HT based system. Two-pass bitrate VBR will take about double that.

The attraction for a lot of us is for film sources. Using decomb to IVTC effectively gets rid of motion artifacts and produces smooth motion when encoding at 1080p/24. You can always use your video card to scale from there to whatever resolution your display supports.

--Jerome

post #8 of 72 Old 01-03-2004, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jsaliga
Hmmm...I fail to see what the big attraction is here. This product looks like a front-end. It doesn't appear to offer anything that you can't do with the Divx codecs and Virtual Dub or WME9 (both of which are free). The only thing I see is an attractive and easy to use interface. I don't know if most people will consider that worth $150.

Am I missing anything here?

--Jerome
Jerome:

Maybe I'm the one missing something here...I got the impression from reading the product description that it could transcode transport streams
"on the fly" and could generate MPEG 4 files in roughly the same amount of time that it takes to play the transport stream...e.g. a 2 hour recorded HD movie would take roughly 2 hours to encode to WM9 on a reasonably fast (2.4 GHz or faster machine). 2 hours would sure beat 12-14 hours using your method, no? ;)

Am I misreading what they are claiming in the product specs?

HDTV Early Adopter
post #9 of 72 Old 01-03-2004, 07:35 PM

OK...I sign up to be the guinea pig on this product. I ordered it last night soon after it was posted and was #3 on the order list. Should get it by Wednesday hopefully.

Ed Betty
post #10 of 72 Old 01-03-2004, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RickD_99
Am I misreading what they are claiming in the product specs?
Rick,

I don't think you are. I went back to the info page and it says:

"The ability to edit, encode, and burn to DVD video even as it's being recorded off air is a first for any video encoding software. On fast CPU's, the encoded recording is finished shortly after the show is over."

If this turns out to be true, and I don't possibly see how it can, while maintaining respectable quality settings in Divx and especially WM9, then I will eat my words. Perhaps by "on fast CPUs" they really are referring to a Cray X1. ;)

Color me extremely skeptical. If this thing worked as advertised then I seriously doubt they would ask people to fork over $150 for a beta. There would be some sort of trialware timed eval period. Ed has volunteered his hard earned cash so I guess we will find out soon enough.

--Jerome

post #11 of 72 Old 01-08-2004, 05:34 PM

Ed,

Did you receive the software? Any word on how well it works or doesn't?

Thanks..

-- John
post #12 of 72 Old 01-09-2004, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

I am hesitant to believe anything on that site, since I have a HiDTV card from them that is now basically unsupported.
post #13 of 72 Old 01-09-2004, 05:52 PM

I still have not received the software... I'm getting antsy. I thought for sure it would have come this week.

Ed Betty
post #14 of 72 Old 01-11-2004, 03:06 PM

I received an e-mail from Jens Wallmann of PC-DTV Technologies this morning. He mentioned that because of the CES show that everyone there was at, they wouldn't be sending the Beta out till tomorrow (Monday). They are looking at a Feburary release. He also said there was a lot of "buzz" at the show about the product. Just purchased the Plextor PX708A at a PC show today ($182)..now I'm waiting to put it to some good use!

Ed Betty
post #15 of 72 Old 01-16-2004, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Still no word?
post #16 of 72 Old 01-16-2004, 09:49 AM

Are they physically mailing this software out? Can't they just provide a secure FTP site for download, or is it like 300 MB in size?
post #17 of 72 Old 01-16-2004, 10:09 AM

Received a confirmation of mailing from the USPS yesterday. Will probably be in my mailbox when I get home.

Ed Betty
post #18 of 72 Old 01-17-2004, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wow, that's not too great customer service. You're paying a bundle for a beta, and they can't be bothered to get it to you for about two weeks?

Hope it's worth the wait!
post #19 of 72 Old 01-17-2004, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Since they already have a bit of a tarnished name I'm a bit surprised he isn't working on that a little bit faster.

post #20 of 72 Old 01-21-2004, 06:21 PM

So, how good is this card if any good at all?

www.pc-dtv.com
post #21 of 72 Old 01-22-2004, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

The HiDTV Pro card is decent but there is no support for it anymore. PC-DTV is not affiliated with the the company that make sit anymore. The card itself is picky about some things and the software is somewhat buggy. Bottom line: not recommended.

[I have one]
post #22 of 72 Old 01-22-2004, 02:35 PM

my mistake, I was led to believe that the Countdown HD, http://www.countdownhd.com ,was an actual card or hardware, when it really is just software.

What card would work best with this software?

MyHD MDP-120 http://www.mitinc.co.kr/mitinc/e_site/index.jsp
FusionHDTVII http://www.dvico.com
HiDTV-PRO http://www.pc-dtv.com
HiPix DTV-200 http://www.telemann.com
WinTV-HD http://www.hauppage.com
accessDTV digital media receiver system http://www.accessdtv.com

anyone heard anything about the FusionHDTVIII ?
post #23 of 72 Old 01-23-2004, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Any of the hardware cards should work fine with the software. Assuming, of course, that the software works (? nobody knows ?). The fusion and any other card that relies on the computer processor would require a HeluvaPemium 3Ghz+ to work reliably (my guess).

Of course, if you don't really need realtime there are a lot cheaper solutions, and since all the listed cards do realtime MPEG2 it would probably be better just to use non-realtime re-encoding, which also gives you a choice of codecs. At least until somebody has actually gotten and used this software.
post #24 of 72 Old 01-23-2004, 06:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Ive had my software for a few days.
Im going to have to wait for a friend to get his and get started. Im a novice at this
and there are no instructions. There is a word doc provided with a basic you need to have this and do this so they assume the people buying this already have a solid foothold what to do.
I would think some sort of basic step by step would come with this but nothing.
post #25 of 72 Old 01-23-2004, 11:18 AM

I recieved my beta on Wednesday.. I quickly installed it (no problems) and ran a quick test using part of the CBS Springsteen concert from last year that I recorded using my Hipix. The GUI is very intuitive and even though no manual came with the Beta, it was pretty easy to figure out what to do. All I can say from the quick test that I did was that it works. Unfortunately my PC has no where near the HIGHLY RECOMENDED processing power that is suggested although I do meet the minimum requirements. A full version of DivX comes with the product, however due to an outstanding bug soon to be rectified, it is recommended that WMV9 be the only encoder to use at this point. I would say that CardiacArrest's opinion of 3.0+Mhz is right on to have the performance neccesary to do Live encoding. I have ordered the 3.0Mhz P4 and hopefully will have it installed soon. After I have upgraded I will try the Live encoding and also publish some timing info but it would be unfair for me to do that now. I will be in Florida until Wednesday so I will not be posting until later next week.

Ed Betty
post #26 of 72 Old 01-23-2004, 11:38 AM

To the people that have this, how does it deal with errors in the transport stream? I'm considering purchase of this software to take my HDTV movie library (around 200 files from HBO HD and Showtime HD) and use it to convert to WM9 and burn to DVD-R or possibly build a large RAID storage array and store the movies.

If this software deals with errors in the transport stream well and it is relatively quick to do a conversion then I will purchase it.

Thanks..

-- John
post #27 of 72 Old 01-28-2004, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

I bought the software and will not do anything gives me an error can someone explain step by step what to do? I hate to pay 150 for something that doesn't work.
post #28 of 72 Old 02-05-2004, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Anybody have any luck with this yet?
post #29 of 72 Old 02-05-2004, 08:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Wildchild

I know you made efforts contacting this company. Did anyone get back to you regarding your issues. Its been weeks. Please up date us.
Because I am new to this and it does not come with any instructions this is a useless package for me. Ill be contacting them and asking for a refund.

Edit/update: Im told there is a new update that can be downloaded from the site and the instructions have been improved as well.

Thanks!
post #30 of 72 Old 02-05-2004, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

The author of the software has contacted me and I have uploaded a file for him to see if he can get it to work. Hopefully he can.
I will keep everyone posted. If not I will want a refund as well.
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page