post #1171 of 1193 Old 03-31-2004, 08:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Q
Between my selling 2 5000's, 1 modulator (other one had to go back to DISH for the 811) and my 6000 all on Ebay, I more than recouped my cost of the 921 and got an 811 for free.

I look at it as getting new and improved equipment for free. Now if they would just turn on the darn firewire.
With Joe's advice (mostly), I sold off all the legacy equipment except SW64 & Starband sat dish. Happily taping on Comcast and enjoying max hd on Voom (Max HD, Encore HD, TMC HD, Bravo HD, PBHOTHD, etc.) Selling my modulator was my last step of philosophical clarity :) yet I digress.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1193 Old 03-31-2004, 10:50 PM

I took the 921 trade-in deal today 3/31/04. I waited to the last minute hoping some other option would open up. I am really not satisfied with the situation but had no other option. If 169time had worked out it's bugs, I would have gone with that.

I hope that firewire port is activated soon. With out that, it is a useless piece of equipment to me.

C.J. said that the units would start shipping next week. He had no info on a firewire activation date.
post #1173 of 1193 Old 04-01-2004, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I decided to opt out of the 921 until firewire is turned up. I rather pay $999 for it knowing that D-VHS recording is working than $699 without. It a value judgment, for sure, but frequently I can go a few weeks and not find the time to watch a movie. So filling up a hard disk with stuff I have to delete before watching it isn't worth a dime to me personally.

--Jerome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1174 of 1193 Old 04-15-2004, 10:34 AM

With the Dish 921 debacle going on yesterday 4/14/04, the 5000 modulator had it last hurray. WCBS and HD DEMO channels are gone. I am not receiving either and they are not on my on screen guide.

Are they still at the 61.5 bird or did the move to 110?
post #1175 of 1193 Old 04-15-2004, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Now that Firewire is not going to happen on the 921, the sad end of this whole situation for me is that I will be trying to return the 921 and cancel my Dish service. I'll get a DirecTivo next month and ponder my long time archival options (local cable company doesn't have it in my area yet).

Steve Martin
former ISF Calibrator
If you can see my pixels, you are sitting too close.
post #1176 of 1193 Old 04-17-2004, 12:28 AM

I will be canceling my 921/Modulator upgrade. I have been waiting on a call from C.J. when it is ready to ship. I would prefer to dump Dish all together but, I need to get something for this expensive modulator.

I guess I will take the 811 deal and subscribe to a year of the HDTV package for about $110.00 for my commitment. After my year, I will cancel and sell the receiver. At least I will get something for the modulator that way, since it is worthless now.

Anybody want to buy a worthless piece of equipment for a large sum of money. ;)

What is everybody else doing with their modulators, if you still have one?

The only other use, I can think of, is for Canadian use but, would require some major hacking skills. It would require buying a ExpressVu 6020 receiver and somehow copying the receiver information to the 5000 receiver.
Bell Expressvu has HD East and West locals for ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, CityTV, and CTV. It would be great if it worked.
post #1177 of 1193 Old 04-18-2004, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I guess I will take the 811 deal and subscribe to a year of the HDTV package for about $110.00 for my commitment. After my year, I will cancel and sell the receiver. At least I will get something for the modulator that way, since it is worthless now.

I don't think that you are required to sign up for any programming with the 811. You can just sell it now.

Al K
post #1178 of 1193 Old 04-18-2004, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Al K
I don't think that you are required to sign up for any programming with the 811. You can just sell it now.

Al K
You cannot sell it right away without risking a $300 charge back- which may or may not happen but is noted in your records when you take the 811, and, would be most likely to pop up if you terminate all Dish services.

You are only required to pay $5.00/mo. to keep it active for 12 months.

You do not need to be a Dish subscriber at all if you do not wish to- the $5.00/mo. ($60/year) is called an Activation Fee.

Murray Kerdman
post #1179 of 1193 Old 04-18-2004, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mkerdman
You cannot sell it right away without risking a $300 charge back- which may or may not happen but is noted in your records when you take the 811, and, would be most likely to pop up if you terminate all Dish services.

Being a DISH customer for like 6 years, I have no programming comittment that I am under to worry about. That you do have to sign so there is a legal obligation.

As far as the 811 charge back goes, I am not at all concerned.

That area is where Echostar f**d up when they made the 5000 mod deal - there are no signed documents.

I signed nothing where I agreed to keep it active for 1 year so it will be a simple matter of calling my Charge Company to get the charge reversed if they try to charge me.

I have already called my Mastercard Company about this.
Here is the gist of what they said:
They said that since DISH has no signed agreement about keeping a piece of equipment active on the account and that I do have records which show that I was given a product they make in exchange for another product that I owned outright which I gave to DISH, DISH has no claim on me.

Believe it or not, the consumer does have rights and the system does work.

Joe
post #1180 of 1193 Old 04-18-2004, 05:51 PM
mdv
AVS Special Member

Dish may refuse to activate the 811 for the new owner if you sell it before the year is up.

Mark
post #1181 of 1193 Old 04-18-2004, 06:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
And they will refuse.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1182 of 1193 Old 04-18-2004, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mdv
Dish may refuse to activate the 811 for the new owner if you sell it before the year is up.

Mark
Yeah, it's really kinda funny how the subscriber buys the Dish equipment and the programming provider still really "owns" it.

If you buy a used receiver and their is any amount left on the previous activating account, disputed or not, you will not be able to activate it.

Quote:
An audio revolution from the source to the ear...found in $99 DVD receivers to audiophile-grade $10,000 audio systems.
post #1183 of 1193 Old 04-18-2004, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

It would be far easier for Dish to be convinced of the merit of granting an approriate programming credit to a continuing 921 subscriber who expresses that the implied promise of continuing and releasable DishWire development was a significant part of their 921 buying desciion, than to ever imagine themselves agreeing to rebate any amount at all on the hardware itself.

Murray Kerdman
post #1184 of 1193 Old 04-19-2004, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally posted by wmacarter
What is everybody else doing with their modulators, if you still have one?
I bought one on Ebay, after they became worthless for Dish Network use. I am a ham radio operator, and I hope to use it to generate my own ATSC signal here. I will probably try to get another or two for this experiment as well.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #1185 of 1193 Old 04-19-2004, 03:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
It would be far easier for Dish to be convinced of the merit of granting an approriate programming credit to a continuing 921 subscriber who expresses that the implied promise of continuing and releasable DishWire development was a significant part of their 921 buying desciion, than to ever imagine themselves agreeing to rebate any amount at all on the hardware itself.
In other words, it's easier for Dish to credit upset 921 owners for programming than for hardware.

I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!
post #1186 of 1193 Old 04-19-2004, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dahester
In other words, it's easier for Dish to credit upset 921 owners for programming than for hardware.
dahester

Absolutely.

All businesses can rationalize "free goods", in this case "free services" to make good on a bad situation long before ever even considering discounting their product.

If Dish credited you $100 on your 921 they will have effectively reset the MSRP to $899 and all their promotions as well as their corporate Balance Sheet going forward will be diluted.

This is not to say they will give you anything at all.

This was an unreleased feature, just like the 721's USB port.

"All products are subject to change........without prior, or, further notice........"

I think it is more likely, if anything, that all 921 subs MIGHT get an "early adopter" programming credit for hanging in there while the bugs, including DishWire, were worked out, and, in the case of DishWire, out is the operative word.

Murray Kerdman
post #1187 of 1193 Old 04-19-2004, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
"All products are subject to change........without prior, or, further notice........"
Where does it say that? I couldn't find it anywhere on the 921 brochure. It does list the 1394 ports, "for use with select 1394 devices".

I'm just glad they were forced to disclose this, before most of you 5000 owners (who I'm sure were very interested in the 1394 ports) got suckered into purchasing a 921.

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.
See
post #1188 of 1193 Old 04-19-2004, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BarryO
Where does it say that? I couldn't find it anywhere on the 921 brochure. It does list the 1394 ports, "for use with select 1394 devices".

I'm just glad they were forced to disclose this, before most of you 5000 owners (who I'm sure were very interested in the 1394 ports) got suckered into purchasing a 921.
BarryO

For starters, the inside front cover of the 921 Users' Manual says-

"The information in this User Guide may change without notice."
- that's appropriate butt-covering.

on Page 24

"The two DishWire ports on the back panel are reserved for future use"
- no promise there.

I don't see too many class action lawyers lining up to take the case on contingency.

If it were me and I was deeply unhappy about the lack of DishWire (and I would be) I would either suck it up and try to forget about it, or, demand a full refund for the amount I paid.

As I wrote earlier, a programming credit might make me feel valued by E* and less upset about their pre-marketing efforts and non-delivery of DishWire.

Murray Kerdman
post #1189 of 1193 Old 04-19-2004, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

One generally doesn't read the user manual until they've bought the product. The implied usefulness of those ports was in the marketting brochure (which up until a few days ago was downloadable from their WWW site) and more likely to have been used by people when making a buying decision.

Steve Martin
former ISF Calibrator
If you can see my pixels, you are sitting too close.
post #1190 of 1193 Old 04-19-2004, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cheezmo
One generally doesn't read the user manual until they've bought the product. The implied usefulness of those ports was in the marketting brochure (which up until a few days ago was downloadable from their WWW site) and more likely to have been used by people when making a buying decision.
Cheezmo

Yup, the brochure reads:

"USB Port (for future use)"

but--- it also reads:

"2 DishWire audio/video connection ports for interface with select 1394 devices."

Pretty big difference when Dish now says that ALL DishWire development has ceased on the 921.

Just by pulling a document that did not say "Subject to change without notice" gives the impression E* was aware of the inference.

EDIT: Dish needs to hire a new technical writer, a new proof reader and a new in-house compliance director.

BTW, the 921 page at Dish's web site again reads "Available exclusively at participating retailers." when it read "Coming Soon" about 10 days ago.

Quite a kettle of fish:

No SuperDish > 5000 HDTV Mod termination.. > 921 Bugs > 921 DishWire termination> 811 Bugs > .....

Murray Kerdman
post #1191 of 1193 Old 04-19-2004, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cheezmo
My point exactly.

Although I'll admit that legal action will go no where. The class of potential plaintiffs is too small, and the damages too minimal, for any attorney to show any interest, me think'st.

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.
See
post #1192 of 1193 Old 04-20-2004, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

EDIT: Dish needs to hire a new technical writer, a new proof reader and a new in-house compliance director.

DISH also needs to update their SW.

My machine still shows the DVHS option in the setup menu.
post #1193 of 1193 Old 04-20-2004, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Q
DISH also needs to update their SW.

My machine still shows the DVHS option in the setup menu.
Joe

Now you can bet that update is coming real soon to a 921 near you.

Murray Kerdman
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page