SA 8000HD - (SARA software) - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 2778 Old 02-22-2004, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Cool, there has always been a drawback to setting up too many recording sessions with VCRs and the current IPG as the limit of 8 (usually) would be reached quickly and there was then little flexibilty. If you can have a relatively unlimited number of sessions in the que, then it becomes a bit more important that they fix whatever problems there are with losing those settings. That is one item that should be very stable or folks will end up missing favorite programs, etc., and that surely is not good for business for either S-A or the cableco. :)

Cheers, Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 2778 Old 02-22-2004, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Two weeks ago, I set the 8000HD to record "all episodes" of Sex in the City. My previous post discussed how it cut off 3 minutes at the end of last week's episode.

I just checked and discovered that the 8000HD did not have tonight's FINAL episode scheduled to be recorded.

So, not only does it not have the "first run only" option, but it forgets about the previously set "all episodes" recordings, and occasionally does not set itself to record the entire network designated length of program. (HBO had last week's episode set to end at 9:33 and the 8000HD recorded until 9:30.)

Please TiVo, bring your HD DVR to the market soon! And please let it record OTA HD stations, too.

AlbanyHDTV.com webmaster
post #333 of 2778 Old 02-22-2004, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It is only as stable as the guide. For the most part it has recorded correctly. It has all the bizarre NBC start and stop times down pat. CBS last Monday got off by a minute . TiVo had the same problem with start and stop times. As for the "all recordings" feature I would never trust that for any recordings.
post #334 of 2778 Old 02-22-2004, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

That is very true, Kevin. I've always had to edit (add a mintue to begin/end) the recording times to make sure I get every minute as the IPG time and actual network time can vary a bit. NBC is particularly irratating as I always seem to miss the very beginning of Las Vegas, though it is probably only a few seconds.

Note: I'm just talking about a VCR and cable STB here, not a HD-DVR. I assume the whole process relies on the accuracy of the IPG times. From what I understand Cox uploaded something recently that corrected some big problems here with those. Times were showing 7:59-8:59 instead of 8:00-9:00, etc., which threw everything out of whack.

Cheers, Dave
post #335 of 2778 Old 02-22-2004, 07:31 AM

To me, the primary way a DVR is different from a VCR is that it can record all shows automatically and move around the times as required to capture them all. I never recorded anything with VCRs because it was too much of a pain. This was the killer limitation that DVRs addressed versus VCR and then added a bunch of cool features like much better recording quality, pausing live TV, etc.

If I can't trust the DVR to record what I tell it to, what benefit have I gained? The errata sheet with the SA8000HD clearly says that the software is still buggy and I have experienced this first hand. As a result, I will keep Tivo as a backup solution for a few months until SA/TWC gets the problems fixed. I have never had any problems with TiVO although clearly with all of these small changes in schedule that the networks are doing deliberately to retain viewers, the IPG data is critical and any DVR can have issues.
post #336 of 2778 Old 02-22-2004, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What happens when the hard drive is full? Does it stop recording or does it delete the oldest shows first, like Tivo or what?
post #337 of 2778 Old 02-22-2004, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It stops recording. You can setup how long to keep a program . It starts at one day and ends with until I delete. 14 days is the default for holding recordings. It will Not delete recordings on its own unless the preset time has expired. 20 hours of HD only.
post #338 of 2778 Old 02-22-2004, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jhkbjk
I have never had any problems with TiVO although clearly with all of these small changes in schedule that the networks are doing deliberately to retain viewers, the IPG data is critical and any DVR can have issues.
Just out of curiosity, have you had Tivo since the first day it came out? I simply can't imagine that Tivo has not gone though similar growing pains and I fully believe that their current software is the result of a lot of changes, bugs fixes, etc., over the years.

I must admit that I would have expected the S-A software to be less problematic than it is simply because they have had the SD version of the 8000 for a while now, though it is just now gaining wider acceptance in the cable realm. I am equally dismayed that S-A seems to be using early adopters as beta-testers, but such are the times we live in I guess. :)

Cheers, Dave
post #339 of 2778 Old 02-22-2004, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinivey
Why don't you highlight the show for each day for the time period on the guide which is always 6 days ahead?
Thats what I have to do I guess. To me its too much "babysitting" of the STB. It has the ability to do what I want, it just don't do a reliable job of it.
post #340 of 2778 Old 02-22-2004, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think he means that you should have to do that forever, just until they get things stablized. I would love to have an 8000HD with these problems. :)

Cheers, Dave
post #341 of 2778 Old 02-22-2004, 01:33 PM

It encourages me that TWC is aware of the issues and up front about acknowledging the issue in the errata sheets and that they expect patches within a few months. I have always been happy with Time Warner service and I trust that they will fix the bugs but I will keep TIVO around as a backup until I am sure they have.

I haven't had TIVO from day 1 but for over three years and their software has always been very stable and user friendly.
post #342 of 2778 Old 02-22-2004, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I kept my TiVo hooked up for a week after I got the 8000HD. I then unplugged and removed it from my system. Heck, it probably had 15 recordings still on it. Trust me once you have the ability to time shift HD you will NOT need it. Wait till you call and cancel TiVo, they acted as if I was taking their first born child.:D
post #343 of 2778 Old 02-22-2004, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

jhkbjk, I wasn't trying to be negative about Tivo, I'm sure it's a great service. My point was that I'm sure that they've had their share of problems over the years and they have evolved quite nicely, they are certainly the leaders in this arena. I hope that they didn't have to do significant software work for their upcoming HD Tivo or they may end up with a number of problems too, just like S-A.

Anyway, it's always smart to keep your Tivo around until all the dust settles with something new like the 8000HD. But, if the 8000HD works even as well as a VCR to record HD, that would be good enough for me. Not having had a Tivo to spoil me, I simply look through the IPG periodically and set up what I want to record for the coming week. From everything I read here, the 8000HD seems to work fine for that. All the other options and features are just gravy. :)

Cheers, Dave
post #344 of 2778 Old 02-22-2004, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Kevin,

It sounds like you are using your 8000 quite like a VCR where you simply look through the IPG once a week or so and set up what you want to record for the week. How much does the DVR service (not the 8000) cost? If it's similar to what the Tivo service costs, then it seems to me that it should have similar capabilities to justify the price. Hopefully, S-A is busy working on those and will get more competitive very soon. I do like the feature that would let you record just new shows in a series and avoid the reruns.

Cheers, Dave
post #345 of 2778 Old 02-22-2004, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It is a charge of $4.95 for the dvr. Not really like a vcr in that you simply press select and it will be recorded. Remember that it is always buffering a hour at a time. So if the phone rings and you are watching live you can pause or press record and the show will be recorded in it's entirety if the show being buffered from the start of the show. Takes me 10 minutes max each Sunday to set up recordings for the remainder of the week. With TiVo I setup season passes for network shows and left it alone. I had TiVo hooked up to analog cable by itself. I used a 3250HD to watch "live" HD.It cost me $12.95 for a standalone TiVo and 10.95 for the 3250HD. I now pay $14.95 for the 8000HD. But, the "free preview" for the HD tier ends at the end of the month and that will cost a extra $6.99. Either way I am ahead and it is a little less complicated to watch programming on my rptv.
post #346 of 2778 Old 02-22-2004, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

So they don't charge you a recording service fee on top of the DVR rental fee? We pay $10/mo now for an HD box and we expect the 8000HD is going to be $15/mo plus a $5/mo recording fee. None of this has been stated by Cox though, so there is still hope for something cheaper. Of course, other than minimum levels of service and a $5/mo fee for Discovery-HD, other HD channels are no cost.

Cheers, Dave
post #347 of 2778 Old 02-22-2004, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just $4.95 extra on top of the regular Box rental. Discovery-HD, Special Events HD, and locals are at no extra charge. HD Tier- HDNet,HDNet Movies,INHD1,INHD2, and ESPN-HD when or if ever it is added.
post #348 of 2778 Old 02-22-2004, 05:11 PM

Dave: In Austin for TWC, you have to have digital cable + $8 for the SA8000HD + $7 for the HD DVR features. This is for basic HD channels - ABC, CBS, Fox (EDTV), and Discovery HD. Other HD channels are extra.

Overall, I like the SA8000HD. The ability to record 2 HD streams and play back another is a great feature. I was originally having problems with the picture quality but I changed some output settings and this is now fine. Its just clearly a step behind Tivo in overall ease of use and functionality and has a few acknowledged bugs including dropping audio and not recording shows correctly. The good news is that TWC is not in denial about this and promises a fix in a few months
post #349 of 2778 Old 02-22-2004, 05:37 PM

Just got my bill and it's $9.95/month for the DVR.

Maybe other TWC places are $4.95/month

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinivey
It is a charge of $4.95 for the dvr. Not really like a vcr in that you simply press select and it will be recorded. Remember that it is always buffering a hour at a time. So if the phone rings and you are watching live you can pause or press record and the show will be recorded in it's entirety if the show being buffered from the start of the show. Takes me 10 minutes max each Sunday to set up recordings for the remainder of the week. With TiVo I setup season passes for network shows and left it alone. I had TiVo hooked up to analog cable by itself. I used a 3250HD to watch "live" HD.It cost me $12.95 for a standalone TiVo and 10.95 for the 3250HD. I now pay $14.95 for the 8000HD. But, the "free preview" for the HD tier ends at the end of the month and that will cost a extra $6.99. Either way I am ahead and it is a little less complicated to watch programming on my rptv.
post #350 of 2778 Old 02-22-2004, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Kevin/jhkbjk,

Thanks for the info. I think some of the problems, especially audio, are related to other boxes S-A has in service. They seem to be making the same programming errors on all their HD boxes. :)

Anyway, I really can't wait to get my hands an 8000HD so I can get rid of my VCR and watch some recorded HD. Time-shifting most stuff from one day to the next is a really cool idea, though I'd have to be careful who says what at work before I get to watch, and it does let you watch more in a shorter period of time. I do a lot of time-shifting now, but it's with the VCR. I'm taping American Dreams now to watch later at 9:00 so my wife can watch Extreme Home Makeover and then we can enjoy Super Millionaire together in between the two.

As I read this thread, I am curious about how the pause function really works. Let's say I'm recording a program on one channel and watching something on another. If the phone rings and I pause what I am watching for 10 minutes or so, what happens when I want to go back to watching?

I assume I pick up where I paused, but I'm unclear as to what happens when I am done watching the rest of the show. It appears to me that I will be 10 minutes off (minus any FF I was able to do for commercials, etc.), so I guess I then miss the first 10 minutes of the next show, especially if the next show I want to watch is on another channel.

Not having Tivo as a training tool, it seems to me that all this will take some time figuring out and learning the In's and Out's of pausing, time-shifting, etc. Fortunately, most answers are only a few keystrokes away. :)

Cheers, Dave
post #351 of 2778 Old 02-23-2004, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Good Morning,

Unfortunately I'm here to tell you about a firmware bug that was just discovered that impacts both the SA 8000SD and the SA 8000HD.

These converters do not recognize February 29th on the guide, which has resulted in a shut down of the record function. All aspects of the 8000 except record are working. I have heard of no instances in which previously recorded material has been lost. All recordings that were set prior to midnight last night, should be fine.

SA is in 'emergency session' working on a software patch. I will keep you updated.

In SC, our guide goes out 7 days, so once February 29th appeared, thats when the problems started. This may not be an issue in other TWC Divisions depending on how far out their guide data goes.
If your system is running Pioneer software on the SA 8000SD, then you should not be impacted, however I am not 100% sure on this point as we use SARA with the SA here in South Carolina.

Thanks for your patience while we work through this issue.

Diana Smith
Director of Marketing for Video Services
Read our Phil the Cable Guy Blog!
post #352 of 2778 Old 02-23-2004, 10:29 AM

LOL...you would think that software engineers would think about this stuff after the whole y2k thing. Something as simple as a date foils us again.

- jb
post #353 of 2778 Old 02-23-2004, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

DVR Update!

First, this Firmware Bug does NOT impact the SA 8000HD, just the SD!

Second, the fix is currently undergoing testing in the lab. If it passes, the patch will download tonight and this will all be behind us tomorrow.

I will, of course, keep you updated.

Thank you again for your patience.

Diana Smith
post #354 of 2778 Old 02-23-2004, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

SA 8000SD Update -

We are downloading the software patch right now. Everything should be in the system by 6pm at the latest. You have two options:

If you want to record something on your SD DVR tonight, please go ahead and reboot the converter to force the software patch. If you don't plan on recording and don't want to deal with a reboot, then just wait until your converter receives the forced download sometime after midnight tonight.

Either way, if you have recordings already scheduled, please take a moment and make sure they are still in the scheduled recordings list after your converter receives the software patch.

Please let me know if you have any questions and again I thank you for your patience concerning this issue.

Diana Smith
post #355 of 2778 Old 02-23-2004, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Now that's Customer Service!

AlbanyHDTV.com webmaster
post #356 of 2778 Old 02-23-2004, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks - just trying to keep people informed.

Now, you asked about a TWC Forum. While a wonderful and practical idea, I gotta tell you guys, unfortunately this concept does not work very well with the TWC set up. You gotta remember that TWC Divisions are not centralized, each really works as a separate company with wildly different equipment, programming, staffing, etc. I can go the extra mile for my customers in SC, I can work on putting together a technical email system for my customers, show that it works for the numbers and then get it distributed as a Best Practices suggestion. But I can't get it mandated or centralized for all Divisions.

So, I do apologize that it really doesn't seem as if I'm cooperating, but the concept is just counter to the working practices of TWC at this time.

Didn't want you to think I was ignoring the question. I just couldn't figure out the best way to answer. I think I probably didn't do the best job in this posting.

Diana Smith
post #357 of 2778 Old 02-23-2004, 04:50 PM

DianaTWCSC - Do you have any contact with TWC San Diego? It's really frustrating to call and ask, and get a different answer every single time. Several CSRs have told me they'd pass along my question, and I never hear anything more. They promise to email me back... one guy did so once, and then I never heard from him again. I've been told I've been put on the list to be a beta tester or to be informed when something's going to happen, but when I call back there is no such list, or I'm not on it, or what's this aych dee TV thing again? :-)
post #358 of 2778 Old 02-23-2004, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll see what I can find out.

Diana Smith
post #359 of 2778 Old 02-23-2004, 07:11 PM

I was wondering if anyone else out there thinks the PQ loss on recorded SD content is more than the loss on HD content??

I know, I know... SD to begin with is much lower quality, but it looks like the 8000HD compresses the SD stuff more. I notice loss in quality on every SD recording I make, but only notice in a few places on HD recordings (like fast moving scenes).

I'd be willing to give up some recording capacity to increase the SD recording quality. Anyone been able to find any "hidden" settings to adjust the compression rate?
post #360 of 2778 Old 02-24-2004, 04:38 AM

slayerav,

I'm seeing the same thing, and it's quite frustrating... SD is so bad over the component out that I still have my original 8000 as well as the HD version, just to record and watch SD programming. I'm hoping that the upcoming firmware patch that will allow the 8000HD to pass the native signals to the display will address this. Barring that, the same FW should activate the S-video out, and if I have to I'll switch inputs when moving between SD and HD content.

I'm also wondering if DVI will have the same problem once it's activated... although at this point I'd prefer to use my single DVI input for the Bravo D2 once it's available.
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page