Comcast Motorola 6208 HD DVR Users Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 730 Old 09-17-2004, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Same problem everyone has with SD channels using a 6208. Some technical reason for this is in this thread...something to do with the recorder/processor. I kept my 6200 and the SD channels have very good PQ. Plus you can watch something live while recording...a stop gap until the 6408/6412 comes out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 730 Old 09-17-2004, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ntmd
I just got my 70" XBR and upgraded my Comcast service to HD. They gave me the DVR (6208). I've tested multiple setups using both component and DVI at various formats (480p, 720p, 1070i). It's clear to me that the SD channels look awful with a great deal of pixelation and blocking, especially with movement. There is also a lot of dot crawl (which I would not expect from component or DVI). HD looks great. Interestingly, if I take the RF from the wall directly into my TV's "Cable/Ant" input the SD picture looks much better. Has anyone else found this to be true or should I call Comcast for a service call?

-- Nick
I have the GWII 50" XBR. I found the same thing as far as Cable strait into the "Cable/Ant" input. I think it's normal. If it looks grainy then just decrease sharpness. I would recommend doing UMR's tweeks for the GWIII.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=UMR

His tweeks helped a GREAT deal with SD from my Dish Network rec., DVD & now input 6 which I have Voom on now.(I did not do the color code adjustments) I did find how ever that DVI is not nearly as good looking as component. Even with the settings in the sevice menu the same.

I did find however that cable going strait into the RF input looked better without the tweeks. So I went back to the original settings for that input.

One other note. SD from Voom looks about 25% better than dish did. I would think SD comimg component helps a great deal.

" I say down with stretch-O-vision and any channel to use it! "
post #543 of 730 Old 09-18-2004, 06:15 AM

I have found that running the the cable line directly into the RF connection produces a better picture than using the box for SD channels. I am in central Jersey. I had them put in booster amp (15db) before the splitter. Works wonders for both the RF and Box connection. I have two 6208's. One I run to a projector (Sony HS10) the other to the direct view 4:3 ( Samsung 2798.) The Sammy has two componet and one DVI input plus the RF and composite. Solves the two tuner problem for now. I have also noticed that when I record a SD on the 6206 it looks better then when you view directly. Don't know why.
post #544 of 730 Old 09-18-2004, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Same complaint. SD looks much worse thru the 6208 vs straight cable to the TV.

See if this helps .... go into the 6208 setup menu (turn box off with power button on remote -> "menu" button) and change the 4x3 override setting to 480P. The progressive signal from the box cleaned up the picture a lot compare to the default 480I setting. It's still not great but it's watchable.
post #545 of 730 Old 09-18-2004, 09:28 AM

How far in advance do you guys get program scheduling? I just went to put ER, HD on dvr (which starts thurs 9/23) and it was not listed in a search. I scrolled through to try to find it and programming stopped on like wednesday. That's like 3.5 days!!! most channels had no info some did.
Any info?

(Baltimore City comcast)
post #546 of 730 Old 09-18-2004, 06:49 PM

My wife's DVR usage pattern seems to have unmasked a bug in the DVR's space usage reporting algorithms.
Namely I am finding the utilized space percentage increasing without making any recordings.
Feel free to try this experiment.
1) Note the percentage of space used in "My DVR"
2) Start playing back some prerecorded material.
3) You can either leave the program playing or to exagerate the symptoms just press the FastForward button once.
4) While playing or FastForwarding, power off the DVR using the big red "ALL On" button. Don't unplug the DVR just turn it off while in play or FF mode.
5) Wait about 30 minutes and turn the DVR back on normally with the big red "ALL On" button.
6) Note the percentage of space used in "My DVR". You should see a substantial increase in space utilization even thought you did not record anything. You were playing back when you powered the DVR down.

The problem I have is there is NO WAY to get that bogus used space back without powering off the DVR by unplugging it. At least I have not found a way. My wife has managed to "fill up" the DVR even though it's only 30% or so utilized.

DCT6208
FW 07.15
S/W 21.03-1226-4

Comments or suggestions welcome.
J
post #547 of 730 Old 09-19-2004, 05:26 AM

I'm trying out a 6208 from my local cable company and have a few comments:

1. Don't like the fact that the hard drive is always on. It's not that loud, but I find it annoying and it should be inaudible, or at least turned off when not in use. In comparison, I can't even hear the hard drive in my notebook computer when it's on my lap.

2. The SD encoder used to convert analog channels to digital is pretty bad and essentially unwatchable on a big screen TV. Cable fed directly to TV tuner looks fine.

3. RF bypass is not working even though it's enabled in the setup menu. Would like to use this feature instead of using a separate splitter because of poor SD encoder.

4. Ugly orange display has to go. Sure the clock can be turned off in the setup menu, but why not use blue-green like almost everything else?

5. Not a 6208 issue per se, but the TV Guide EPG is crude and ugly, and they have the audacity to include advertising.
post #548 of 730 Old 09-19-2004, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Comcast NJ - Union/Verona

My comments to your comments...

Quote:
Originally posted by techweb
I'm trying out a 6208 from my local cable company and have a few comments:

1. Don't like the fact that the hard drive is always on. It's not that loud, but I find it annoying and it should be inaudible, or at least turned off when not in use. In comparison, I can't even hear the hard drive in my notebook computer when it's on my lap.

The hard Drive remains on, on all DVR's. If your HD is noisy, I'd call your cable company back and get another one to replace it. You are renting it right. So, why be dissatisfied.

2. The SD encoder used to convert analog channels to digital is pretty bad and essentially unwatchable on a big screen TV. Cable fed directly to TV tuner looks fine.

*What output are you using?

3. RF bypass is not working even though it's enabled in the setup menu. Would like to use this feature instead of using a separate splitter because of poor SD encoder.

*From what I have been told, RF Bypass will never be enabled by Comcast. Not sure your cable company but I bet it is Comcast. The firmware plays a part in whether the A/B works as well.

4. Ugly orange display has to go. Sure the clock can be turned off in the setup menu, but why not use blue-green like almost everything else?

*Who knows? Personal choice I guess.

5. Not a 6208 issue per se, but the TV Guide EPG is crude and ugly, and they have the audacity to include advertising.

*Well, be on the look out for the new iGuide by TV Guide. We should start to see this new guide on Comcast systems over the next 30 - 45 days. While it is no Tivo, it should be better than what we have. I'm pulling for the MS software but I'm not holding my breath.

Mark
post #549 of 730 Old 09-19-2004, 09:50 AM

I just received a 6208 and it came with a remote which has buttons that do not work. The LIVE button, My DVR button and the button to it's left as well as the PIP buttons do not even put out a IR signal. The HD ZOOM brings up Music Choice. Does anyone else have any informaion or experience with this remote?

I would like to use the Live button instead of viewing the buffered video. This may also give the hardrive a break. Any comments?
LL
post #550 of 730 Old 09-19-2004, 10:20 AM

The Up, Down, Right, Left cursor buttons simulate some of the features. This is (I guess) so you can use other remotes besides the Comcast supplied one.
At any rate your missing "Live" button is also "cursor down".
For completeness:
"cursor up" is a "pause/play" toggle
"cursor right/left" to FastForward FastRewind respectively.
J
post #551 of 730 Old 09-19-2004, 01:05 PM

Adelphia tells me that they have an HD DVR. Since they gave me a Moto 6200, I assume that the 6208 is the one available.

Can anyone confirm this, please? If any S. Calif. Adelphia customers have the 6208, please tell me how and if it works!

Also, what is the issue regarding getting external hard drives working on the 6208? Firmware version?

Many thanks.
post #552 of 730 Old 09-19-2004, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Electricpotatoe
I just received a 6208 and it came with a remote which has buttons that do not work. The LIVE button, My DVR button and the button to it's left as well as the PIP buttons do not even put out a IR signal. The HD ZOOM brings up Music Choice. Does anyone else have any informaion or experience with this remote?

I would like to use the Live button instead of viewing the buffered video. This may also give the hardrive a break. Any comments?
Check the other thread you posted this in......

Motorola High Definition STB Information Pages redesigned 5/12/04 Hope you like it....

Just added to the FAQ:
Defining the Black Bars from the DCT Setup

CATV Drop Losses(excel speadsheet download)

DCT Diagnostics information

I never saved anything for the swin back......-----Ethan Hawk - Gattaca
post #553 of 730 Old 09-19-2004, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

There is no real fix for the poor quality of the lower 100 analog cable channels except to bypass the box. I split the cable before the box and route it through my ReplayTV to record programming on the analog channels.

The fix would be for the cable co. to go all digital. But this will not happen for a while because they want to preserve the ability of customers to receive the channels without using a set top box.
post #554 of 730 Old 09-19-2004, 09:23 PM

Chances are that you will get a Moto BMC9012 with Moxi. (This is what replaced my 6200 when I got a DVR.) Search Moxi in these forums for discussion.

Quote:
Originally posted by Crabby Guy
Adelphia tells me that they have an HD DVR. Since they gave me a Moto 6200, I assume that the 6208 is the one available.

Can anyone confirm this, please? If any S. Calif. Adelphia customers have the 6208, please tell me how and if it works!

Also, what is the issue regarding getting external hard drives working on the 6208? Firmware version?

Many thanks.
post #555 of 730 Old 09-20-2004, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Electricpotatoe

I could be mistaken, but I don't believe there is any way to watch unbuffered video on *any* DVR. The Live button is there to get you back to the most current (but still buffered) video after you have paused or rewound it. If the Moto is different, somebody please correct me...

Randy

Randy
post #556 of 730 Old 09-20-2004, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by IFLYSWA
I could be mistaken, but I don't believe there is any way to watch unbuffered video on *any* DVR. The Live button is there to get you back to the most current (but still buffered) video after you have paused or rewound it. If the Moto is different, somebody please correct me...

Randy
You're exactly right.
post #557 of 730 Old 09-20-2004, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kracko
You're exactly right.
I am assuming you know your way around DVRs so I am curious if you know why sometimes by simply pausing for a moment or two it eliminates all the pixelation/video breakups when tuning in channels? Sometimes my 6208 will just start breaking up while watching and I pause for a moment and things return to normal...what is technically going on in this situation?
post #558 of 730 Old 09-20-2004, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Tall1: I have noticed the same thing. It doesn't always work, but usually stops the pause and then the pixelation.

I'm hoping the 6412, whenever we get it, will eliminate this problem.

Rich N.
post #559 of 730 Old 09-20-2004, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tall1
I am assuming you know your way around DVRs so I am curious if you know why sometimes by simply pausing for a moment or two it eliminates all the pixelation/video breakups when tuning in channels? Sometimes my 6208 will just start breaking up while watching and I pause for a moment and things return to normal...what is technically going on in this situation?
I had the Dish PVR for over two years and now two Tivo's for about 4 months. Currently I have the 6200 as the 6208 isn't available in my area.

I'm not sure if what you're seeing is a function of the PVR you're using or a function of decoding the cable signal. It sounds like it's just the processor in the 6208 "catching up" with all the new information.
post #560 of 730 Old 09-20-2004, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the reply Kracko. That sounds like a reasonable explanation but I was wondering if everytime I change channels is the buffer cleared? And because "LIVE" is really reading the data in the buffer, is there some wait time until there is enough data to produce the image on the display? Thus there is pixelation/breakups waiting for the buffer to capture enough data?
post #561 of 730 Old 09-20-2004, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

I haven't really noticed anything suspect on mine, but maybe the use of a different Hard Drive in the 6412 might help with this problem. The 6412, I think will be using a Maxtor instead of Seagate......

Motorola High Definition STB Information Pages redesigned 5/12/04 Hope you like it....

Just added to the FAQ:

post #562 of 730 Old 09-20-2004, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I am more curious about how the 6208 uses the buffer than in trying to troubleshoot a problem. The problem with "locking in" on a HD signal is about 95% improved with FW 7.15. But the picture does occassionly have problems locking in when changing channels and the pause/play clears it up.
post #563 of 730 Old 09-20-2004, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

The problem might be that the 6208 is designed to try & start buffering as soon as the channel is changed, this may be causing some hiccups because the box is trying to Change the channel, change the format of the output to 1080i/720p, & also buffer all at the same time. The 6412 should improve this because it has a 2sec delay in buffering when channels are changed to help improve the speed of channel changing. But I'm sure it would probably help with your situation. My Box seems to do this OK.....with no issues. Is your box running hot? Maybe a bad Hard Drive possibly?!?!?!

Just added to the FAQ:

post #564 of 730 Old 09-20-2004, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tall1
Well I am more curious about how the 6208 uses the buffer than in trying to troubleshoot a problem. The problem with "locking in" on a HD signal is about 95% improved with FW 7.15. But the picture does occassionly have problems locking in when changing channels and the pause/play clears it up.
If you've already said this I apologize but does this only happen with HD channels?
post #565 of 730 Old 09-20-2004, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kracko
I've you've already said this I apologize but does this only happen with HD channels?
Yes, only when switching to HD channels.
post #566 of 730 Old 09-21-2004, 09:12 AM

Is the Motorola 6200 as noisy as the 6208. Did not want DVR just HD but Comcast gave me 6208 box. It is in bedroom and is noisy enough to be annoying.
post #567 of 730 Old 09-21-2004, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

If the 6200 is anything like the 5100, it is much quieter. The fan is there to cool the hard drive, and that's not necessary on the 6200. Word is the next-gen 6412 DVR has a much quieter fan. One person who tested it out in his bedroom said it is quiet enough not to be annoying.

You don't want DVR though? Why not? :)
post #568 of 730 Old 09-21-2004, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Noise is also generated by the Hard Drive itself. So the 6200 is much quieter in fact its pretty much silent, compared to the 6208. The 6412 is quieter than the 6208, but not as quiet as a 6200.

Just added to the FAQ:

post #569 of 730 Old 09-21-2004, 05:17 PM

I was not planning on getting the DVR but now that I have it and have been playing with it I am getting to like it.

Question I have is on the channel guide. When you aceess guide from button on remote the name of show is shown for each channel at all times. When you access the Guide while setting up to record all that is listed is the network with no description of what is on. Is this how it should work.
post #570 of 730 Old 09-21-2004, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

To record a program its easier to select a program from the normal guide. If the program hasn't started it will give you the option to record that program @ the bottom of the screen. When you setup a manual recording for time & date the b,ox doesn't know what may be on that channel, in case you were scheduling a recording for a time that was past where the guide was updated to. The way you are doing it is the longer harder way.

Use the Guide then use your right arrow button or Day+ or Day- to select the program you want to record.

Just added to the FAQ:

Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page