Comcast Motorola 6208 HD DVR Users Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 730 Old 10-18-2004, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a way in the current firmware version (7.15?) that I can ask the 6208 to pass through the format as it was broadcast. What I mean is - I want it to sent 1080i as 1080i and 720p as 720p etc. I am considering a scaler and I am sure that it will do a better job than the 6208 at deinterlacing and scaling.

Edit: I am aware the box lets me pick one of these, I would rather a "native" option.

John

John R Sheldon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 730 Old 10-18-2004, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 130
John, that's what I want too. I have a 720p projector, so I'd like to view ABC, ESPN & FOX in native 720p. My projector does a better job than the 6208 in scaling 1080i to 720p for the rest of the 1080i HD channels. The 6208, from what I've found, has no 'native' option--really wish it did.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
post #633 of 730 Old 10-18-2004, 08:09 AM

You said it more elegantly than I did, Any word from the masses as to whether this is on the radar?

John R Sheldon

post #634 of 730 Old 10-18-2004, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hubcap
I recently got the 6208, and im not able to record a program and watch another program at the same time? Is this right. I mean this is one of the main reasons why i got this dvr. Everything else seems ok, im using the dvi cable to my tv. I tried to find this in the thread but my head started to spin after reading about 5 pages. Thanks.
but you can record one show and watch a previously record show at the same time.... and if you didn't know you can start watching the show you are recording before it finishes recording...

:D

Vin
post #635 of 730 Old 10-18-2004, 11:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2840 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
Originally posted by Brajesh
John, that's what I want too. I have a 720p projector, so I'd like to view ABC, ESPN & FOX in native 720p. My projector does a better job than the 6208 in scaling 1080i to 720p for the rest of the 1080i HD channels. The 6208, from what I've found, has no 'native' option--really wish it did.
This is really a must have at this point, especially with Fox HD now in 720p. My display is native 720p and obviously I get a noticably better picture with 720p stations if I have the 6208 set to 720p. Likewise I get better quality if I have the STB set to 1080i for stations in that format as my display device does a better job with the deinterlacing and scaling.

But unfortunately there is no such native option. To make matters worse, you have to turn off the 6208 in order to switch between 720p/1080i. At first that may not seem like a big deal, but once you consider that you cannot change the format once recording it is a big deal. For example, if you start recording something at 1080i because that was the last format you used, but its a 720p station you are recording, you cannot swith to 720p and start watching while its recording - doing so would cancel the recording (as turning off the box does).

Please Motorola - if you are monitoring these thread - make a native option or at least provide a simple way to switch between 720p/1080i without having to go into the special set up menu which requires turning off the box...
post #636 of 730 Old 10-19-2004, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by lovingdvd
But unfortunately there is no such native option. To make matters worse, you have to turn off the 6208 in order to switch between 720p/1080i. At first that may not seem like a big deal, but once you consider that you cannot change the format once recording it is a big deal. For example, if you start recording something at 1080i because that was the last format you used, but its a 720p station you are recording, you cannot swith to 720p and start watching while its recording - doing so would cancel the recording (as turning off the box does).

And this will be an even bigger problem with the two tuner situation on the 6412. You wouldn't be able to switch the output for watching while recording something else. Maybe they offer the 'native' option on it...it might have been documented somewhere, but I'm not sure....guess I need to do some reading.....

Randy

Randy
post #637 of 730 Old 10-19-2004, 12:42 PM

hi. just wondering if anybody knows how to change IR codes on these boxes? i will have a 6208 and 6200 located in the same location and would like to control each individually. thanks.
post #638 of 730 Old 10-19-2004, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by memnoch2
hi. just wondering if anybody knows how to change IR codes on these boxes? i will have a 6208 and 6200 located in the same location and would like to control each individually. thanks.
I have the same setup. I place an SVHS tape on it's side in front of the IR on the STB depending on which box I want to control. I use the "hey, could you move that tape to the other STB?" tactic with my kids/wife.
post #639 of 730 Old 10-19-2004, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 130
One thing I've been doing sometimes is sending a firewire signal (always native) from the 6208 to my JVC 5U D-VHS recorder to my projector via HDMI/DVI. This allows me to watch stuff on the 6208 in native format on my projector. I usually only do this while monitoring stuff I'm archiving to D-VHS.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
post #640 of 730 Old 10-19-2004, 02:22 PM

Have you tried the firewire output to a free standing DVR? PC?
post #641 of 730 Old 10-20-2004, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IFLYSWA
And this will be an even bigger problem with the two tuner situation on the 6412. You wouldn't be able to switch the output for watching while recording something else. Maybe they offer the 'native' option on it...it might have been documented somewhere, but I'm not sure....guess I need to do some reading.....

Randy
moto refuses to reinstate the native setting. when they offered it as an option on the 5100, they claim it 'confused' users with displays which only accept their native rez and therefore got no picture. :rolleyes:
post #642 of 730 Old 10-20-2004, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by avic
moto refuses to reinstate the native setting. when they offered it as an option on the 5100, they claim it 'confused' users with displays which only accept their native rez and therefore got no picture. :rolleyes:
*Somebody* has to save us from ourselves, I guess...ugh.

;)

Randy
post #643 of 730 Old 10-20-2004, 06:48 PM

Microsoft has requested this of Motorola. We'll see if/when it happens.

-Shan [MSFT]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
post #644 of 730 Old 10-21-2004, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

For some some recordings I must pad the beginning or ending time by a bit since the actual start time may vary.

But that means I have to FF to find the real beginning of the show and the very SLOW FF of the 6208 is extremly annoying when going long distances. You would sure think that with 4 FF speeds they could actually have the FF4 really go fast, but they don't.

It makes me miss my Tivo. :(

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #645 of 730 Old 10-22-2004, 01:25 PM

Anyone know if/when the RCA inputs will be active?

I'm wondering if it will be possible to hook up my old analog video camera to these RCA inputs and then record the contect digitally out the firewire on my PC.
post #646 of 730 Old 10-22-2004, 02:54 PM

Anyone know if/when the RCA inputs will be active?

I'm wondering if it will be possible to hook up my old analog video camera to these RCA inputs and then record the contect digitally out the firewire on my PC.
[/quote]

I think you're dreaming.
1: I doubt any cable company is going to bother, IF it's software controlled. If you owned it yourself you obviously wouldn't have to ask here, you'd just read the manual.

2: I doubt that internally it converts rca video input to firewire. Maybe... but I doubt it. That's a whole product right there, why include it for free in a TV tuner?
post #647 of 730 Old 10-22-2004, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

You can find that feature in most any consumer MiniDV camcorder, though.
post #648 of 730 Old 10-22-2004, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Liked: 12
post #649 of 730 Old 10-25-2004, 12:44 PM

I've just received the Comcast DVR box as part of a trial here in the Boston area. I was initially excited due to it's ability to record HD content but after using it for a week, I have to admit, I'm much less excited.

I already have Tivo on another TV so I won't go into comparisons. Tivo is by far better. The interface on this thing has to be the worst that I have ever seen.

However, what I'm more concerned about is picture quality. When I first looked at the TV with this box in place of the normal digital box, I noticed a large amount of degradation in the picture quality on SD channels and a little bit on HD channels.

Am I the only one to encounter this problem?

Can someone point me to the features of this box as well (it's not the 6412). I don't know how long the buffer is, what other features it may have (menu settings and such). It'd be really helpful.

I have to admit, if I wasn't getting the benefits of this trial (lower bill, not having to pay for the service, HD recording), I'd throw this thing right back at them!!
post #650 of 730 Old 10-25-2004, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Mazer commented:
> I noticed a large amount of degradation in the picture quality on SD channels and a little bit on HD channels. Am I the only one to encounter this problem? <

I don't have one yet, but my understanding was that only the analog SD channels suffered, due to their being digitized by the box and displayed in a(short) delay mode. I hadn't heard of problems with the digital SD channels, or especially the HD channels. If they're degraded, then there's no point whatsoever (IMO).

- Tim
post #651 of 730 Old 10-25-2004, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Originally posted by Mazer
I've just received the Comcast DVR box as part of a trial here in the Boston area.
You are not part of the beta test, that has long come and gone, DVR service is available in Boston to anyone.

I already have Tivo on another TV so I won't go into comparisons. Tivo is by far better. The interface on this thing has to be the worst that I have ever seen.
iGuide(see link below) will make it very much like a tivo, it will be released in a few weeks.

However, what I'm more concerned about is picture quality. When I first looked at the TV with this box in place of the normal digital box, I noticed a large amount of degradation in the picture quality on SD channels and a little bit on HD channels.
If you are experiencing PQ degredation it would only come from the analog channels due to on-the-fly encoding, otherwise you cannot notice a difference on the digital channels including HD channels as you are seeing the same 0's and 1's written directly to the hdd.

Can someone point me to the features of this box as well (it's not the 6412). I don't know how long the buffer is, what other features it may have (menu settings and such). It'd be really helpful.
Current software guide is HERE but again don't get to used to it because iGuide will soon be released.

I have to admit, if I wasn't getting the benefits of this trial (lower bill, not having to pay for the service, HD recording), I'd throw this thing right back at them!!
if you are getting anything free then you got a misinformed rep and consider yourself fortunate since the rest of comcast subscribers are paying for their DVR service.
post #652 of 730 Old 10-26-2004, 06:43 PM

Hey all,
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but it is possible to remap any of the buttons on the silver remote that Comcast provides to the 30-second skip function. The procedure detailed in this thread:

30-second skip

works with the silver comcast remote, too (the remote allows discrete button codes). I mapped the FAV button on the remote to do the 30-second skip by following this procedure:

1) Press the "Cable" button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
2) Press and hold the "Setup" button until the "Cable" button blinks twice.
3) Type in the code 994. The "Cable" button will blink twice
4) Press (do not hold) the "Setup" button
5) Type in the code 00173.
6) Press whatever button you want to map the skip function to (FAV in my case).

That should be it.. so if you're like me and don't hate the silver comcast remote too much, this is a nice alternative to using a better remote like a Pronto.

Also, if you have a learning remote that you like better, just have it learn the skip function from the comcast remote after you do this.

Thanks go to agtiny for documenting this procedure. I was just bored enough to try it on the comcast remote.. :-)

raj
post #653 of 730 Old 10-26-2004, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks Raj....been waiting for that information.
post #654 of 730 Old 10-26-2004, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Same here, raj. That makes the box much, much more usable...thanks!

Randy

Randy
post #655 of 730 Old 10-26-2004, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

in case you change your mind and want to reset a key's function or want to reasign anything else here is the
Codes List
post #656 of 730 Old 10-26-2004, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Comcast NJ - Union/Verona

Awesome Raj!

Thank you very much for that.

Mark

avic,

Thanks for all those codes.

Mark
post #657 of 730 Old 10-27-2004, 05:19 AM

Raj, this is a great day, thank you. I don't see a code for slow motion. I know it works by first pressing the pause button and then pressing the fast forward button. I am wondering if there is super slow motion (or 1/2 slow motion) capability somehow.
post #658 of 730 Old 10-27-2004, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is there any way to attach an external Firewire drive to this box. According to Motorola's Website the Firewire output should allow you to attach an external FireWire drive??

Any feedback on this will be appreciated.

Kind regards
Johan
post #659 of 730 Old 10-27-2004, 06:15 AM

jc11, no. I contacted motorola on this. The box supports it but the "guide" (software) does not. It's unfortunate really, it would be such a nice simple solution.
post #660 of 730 Old 10-27-2004, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Drifty
Raj, this is a great day, thank you. I don't see a code for slow motion. I know it works by first pressing the pause button and then pressing the fast forward button. I am wondering if there is super slow motion (or 1/2 slow motion) capability somehow.
there is no separate code for slow motion. The remote does not remember that you pressed pause and then fast-forward. It just sends the pause command to the 6208 and then the fast-forward command to the 6208. The software in the 6208 then says:

hmm.. i'm in pause mode and received a fast-forward command.. that means go in slo-mo.

(yes, the box really does have an internal monologue :-) )

so, the only way you can go directly to slo-mo is to setup a macro on your remote that when you press that macro button sends the pause and fast-forward commands in succession to the 6208.

good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page