Photos of the inside of the LG LST-3410A - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #91 of 121 Old 03-04-2004, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I sure hope you guys are gonna wait till after the warranty to try something like that. Otherwise, you have way too much money to throw away!!

Sounds inventive though.

Or you could just take the guts out and throw it into a PC tower and stack like 6 hard drives in it!!

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 121 Old 03-04-2004, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by protsch
I sure hope you guys are gonna wait till after the warranty to try something like that. Otherwise, you have way too much money to throw away!!

Sounds inventive though.

Or you could just take the guts out and throw it into a PC tower and stack like 6 hard drives in it!!

Paul
Paul

No need.

You could have a single external HDD enclosure with removable drive trays and then have as many drives as you'd like.

Murray Kerdman
post #93 of 121 Old 03-10-2004, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
bump
post #94 of 121 Old 03-10-2004, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Seems to me this new 400GB drive is the way to go, although I suspect the new A/V command set will be useless for the 3410.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...12&newsLang=en
post #95 of 121 Old 03-11-2004, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Orbitzboy,

Based on my read it seems like this would be ideal for the 3410 and other HD DVRs as the command set may not be specific to each application (i.e. you could use the drive but not have to use the command set). Let's hope so.

I also read the PDF datasheet and it appears that hardware developers could incorporate the new command set if so desired.

Here are the outlined features;

Quote:
The Deskstar 7K400 with ATA Streaming Feature Set provides important features for AV storage applications. These key features enable system developers to:
> Read drive attributes and configure the drive buffer for optimum performance
> Stream error logging to reduce time delays for system error processing
> Handle stream errors to enable full error recovery
The drive should be fully functional for the 3410 and other current models.

45 hours of HD! Sounds nice. :)

Troy

"Now that's how you supposed to drive!"
Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X
post #96 of 121 Old 03-11-2004, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

All this recording time is fine but what one really needs is another tuner in the box.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #97 of 121 Old 03-11-2004, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

I have two tuner's....

A 3410, and a 6200 for "realtime".

Heck, I even have an old hipix I sometimes use for playback because it has great commercial skip capabilities.

This box provided me exactly what I wanted - an easy way to record HDTV for playback without turning on my computer, dumping to tape, or trying to explain to my wife how to set PID's for firewire transport.....

True, this could have been a better solution (two tuner's, smartcard capable, commercial advance, ethernet jack, httpd server for computer automation and streaming, compatable computer fileformat, built-in hdtv editor, etc...) but EVERYTHING I own could be better if I was the head of product development for each.....

I'm guessing most people jumped at buying this box because it was QAM256 compliant. If you cared about that, you already had digitical cable, and an existing set-top-box.
post #98 of 121 Old 03-11-2004, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by orbitzboy

I'm guessing most people jumped at buying this box because it was QAM256 compliant. If you cared about that, you already had digital cable, and an existing set-top-box.
I didn't care too much about QAM256 compliance, since I didn't know until I got the box that my cable-co scrambles everything but the Basic analog SD stuff. I bought it primarily for OTA HD, and it's capability to time-shift the HD signals.

Of course if (when?) they offer a CableCard compliant model, that would be even better - and maybe I'll buy that as well. It would be nice to get rid of the digital Cable box, since using that with the 3410 doesn't allow me to time-shift HD content such as HBO.
post #99 of 121 Old 03-11-2004, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 20
http://www.avvideo.com/2004/03_mar/news/hitahi0310.htm

Anybody see any problem using this HDD? 40hours of HD recording sounds hard to pass up.
joe
post #100 of 121 Old 03-12-2004, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

The only problem with that hard drive is it isn't available yet.....
post #101 of 121 Old 03-16-2004, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

(from Extreme Tech)
Hitachi Ships 400-GB ATA Hard Drive

Hitachi Global Storage Technologies said it had begun limited shipments of a 400-GB ATA hard drive designed for PCs and other devices.
The announcement makes the Hitachi Deskstar 7K400 the world's largest hard drive, for now. The drive uses 10 heads across five aluminum platters, and will be shipped in two versions, either with a serial or parallel ATA interface.

(from SearchStorage.com)The drive is shipping to OEMs and is expected to reach volume levels by April or May.

Which version, serial or parallel, would work in the 3410a? I'm ready to pull the trigger on this one, 45 hours of hd and 400 sd, who can resist?
joe
post #102 of 121 Old 03-16-2004, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

You need the PATA version.

As I said... the drive isn't available yet. Mwave has it in their system with an ETA of 05//04. Just a couple of months......
post #103 of 121 Old 03-17-2004, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

orbitzboy,

Thanks, I was hoping it would be sooner as my hd is close to being filled, I guess I'm going to have to start copying to the jvc 30k.
joe
post #104 of 121 Old 03-25-2004, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Bump
post #105 of 121 Old 03-25-2004, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Jlanzy,

Why don't you watch some of it and erase it?

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #106 of 121 Old 03-25-2004, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

"MrHifi

Jlanzy,Why don't you watch some of it and erase it? "

MrHifi, I usually record about 12 hours of programs a week and I only get enough time to watch about 6-8 hours in a week's time. So as weeks pass by they accumulate and I average about 30-35 hours of programs recorded total until summer when everything is reruns and I no longer record ,then I catch up until the new season begins in mid/late fall. Probably the 300GB drive would work too for now but if the 400GB is going to be availabe in another month I guess it's worth it to have room to grow!

joe
post #107 of 121 Old 04-07-2004, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

bump
post #108 of 121 Old 04-07-2004, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You need the PATA version.

As I said... the drive isn't available yet. Mwave has it in their system with an ETA of 05//04. Just a couple of months......
orbitzboy

What is the projected street price of the drive?

Murray Kerdman
post #109 of 121 Old 04-07-2004, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

The best I can tell on the street price for this drive is from Dell. They are now bundling the SATA version with their 8300 desktop. If you buy a second 400gb drive it adds $500 to the price. PATA versions are usually about $50 less.

Since Dell is now shipping the drive, my bet would be their accessories section will be the first to offer the drives for sale. They've had a very strong relationsihp with IBM & now Hitachi for quite a while.
post #110 of 121 Old 04-07-2004, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The best I can tell on the street price for this drive is from Dell. They are now bundling the SATA version with their 8300 desktop. If you buy a second 400gb drive it adds $500 to the price. PATA versions are usually about $50 less.

Since Dell is now shipping the drive, my bet would be their accessories section will be the first to offer the drives for sale. They've had a very strong relationsihp with IBM & now Hitachi for quite a while.
orbitzboy

At $1.00 a GB that's quite a premium for the Hitachi to the WD & Maxtor 250GB drives that sell for about $.50 per GB.

Murray Kerdman
post #111 of 121 Old 04-07-2004, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

I agree. I already have 16 250GB drives I've bought over the last few months with these crazy rebate deals, with an average price ~ .50GB including my raid cards.

However, I can only fit ONE drive into the 3410A..... I suspect this will be discounted quickly as WD/Maxtor/Seagate announce competitive products.

I am in the process of writing an application that will automatically download from the 3410a to my PC (hence the huge raid array...), but I'm finding it more difficult than I expected. I'm able to control the machine easily using Girder and a slink-e for IR and capvhs to get the hdtv stream via firewire. Ist is the Delete I'm having trouble with. Has anyone been able to get D-vhs tools to work? That would be much better for my purpose as I could stop the stream.
post #112 of 121 Old 04-07-2004, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

FYI---

169Time and JVC 30K and LG LST-3410 DVR = Digital “Glitch-Free†FireWire & DVI Playback w/ frame-accurate editing and “trick-playâ€

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=388506

Murray Kerdman
post #113 of 121 Old 04-07-2004, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I agree. I already have 16 250GB drives I've bought over the last few months with these crazy rebate deals, with an average price ~ .50GB including my raid cards.

However, I can only fit ONE drive into the 3410A..... I suspect this will be discounted quickly as WD/Maxtor/Seagate announce competitive products.

I am in the process of writing an application that will automatically download from the 3410a to my PC (hence the huge raid array...), but I'm finding it more difficult than I expected. I'm able to control the machine easily using Girder and a slink-e for IR and capvhs to get the hdtv stream via firewire. Ist is the Delete I'm having trouble with. Has anyone been able to get D-vhs tools to work? That would be much better for my purpose as I could stop the stream.

Are you able to download manually to your PC? I've read your post and other posts here and in the Record HDTV in WinXP section but did not see a successful process listed for the 3410a.
post #114 of 121 Old 04-07-2004, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
orbitzboy

Could you be a littel more specifically detailed in what 1394 communication between the 3410 and a PC have have been able to accomplish to date and the HW & SW you used, and, how and what you hope to do in the future to automatically download from the 3410a to a PC.

Murray Kerdman
post #115 of 121 Old 12-07-2004, 09:39 PM

I would like to locate an external cage and drive in an enclosure 3 feet from the LG3410.

The enclosure and caddy are here:

http://www.mycableshop.com/sku/IDEPR....htm?x=24&y=13

This drive is made of aluminum for heatsink purposes plus it has 2 miniature fans in it.

The drive I want to use is the new Seagate Barracuda 400.

Will the LG be taxed too much by the fans and the faster drive?

These seems to be a very cool running solution though.

http://www.mycableshop.com/300x300/I...RWRBKlarge.gif
post #116 of 121 Old 12-08-2004, 12:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by P Caulfield
I would like to locate an external cage and drive in an enclosure 3 feet from the LG3410.

The enclosure and caddy are here:

http://www.mycableshop.com/sku/IDEPR....htm?x=24&y=13

This drive is made of aluminum for heatsink purposes plus it has 2 miniature fans in it.

The drive I want to use is the new Seagate Barracuda 400.

Will the LG be taxed too much by the fans and the faster drive?

These seems to be a very cool running solution though.
The Seagate drives cannot communicate reliably to the LG box through the intervening drive tray. Your LG box will sporadically erase your entire drive. This can actually occur on any brand of hard drive, but it is very common with the Seagate drives.

In order to do what you want, you will need to use an IDE to SATA adapter like this one inside your LG:

http://www.provantage.com/buy-7STRT0...a-shopping.htm

Run a SATA cable (and power) outside of the LG box and into a SATA drive tray. I used this one, which converts SATA back to IDE:
http://www.sanmax.com/products/index...art=PMD-96I-SA

Essentially by using this drive tray and the IDE-SATA adapters, data integrity is improved because the IDE-SATA adapters also serve as data repeaters. The hard drive residing in the tray only has to drive a few inches of cable and PCB trace, while in the case you're attempting the hard drive will have to drive a 3 foot cable plus the added capacitance and/or transmission line effects due to the drive tray connector. Hope this helps.

I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!
post #117 of 121 Old 12-08-2004, 03:40 AM

Thank you for saving my neck. I believe this solution is the same but black and aluminum to fit with the interior design.

http://www.addonics.com/products/ext...PageType=Print
post #118 of 121 Old 12-08-2004, 10:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

duplicate post deleted

post #119 of 121 Old 12-08-2004, 10:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Be careful! Having read the overview, it's not clear if this solution needs software drivers. That external serial ATA interface cable (model AASAC) may not work for you.

You want a pure hardware driven solution: nothing but stand alone IDE to SATA converter cards with IDE and SATA cables (a typical adapter card is almost always implemented with a Marvell chip).

post #120 of 121 Old 12-08-2004, 12:02 PM

Do you lnow of a black or silver drive? Preferably aluminum and not beige plastic? It has to look professional. Thanks a million.
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page