Mitsubishi HDTV PVR HD-6000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 88 Old 04-21-2004, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm sorry if there are already posts about this but, just in case...

http://www.engadget.com/entry/7717248725869126/

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2004/Apr/1032792.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 Old 04-23-2004, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like this one slipped through the cracks.

Sounds like a product with some great potential:

Plusses:

1) 1394 support
2) HDMI switching (1 HDMI input)
3) no subscription fee for schedule

Minusses:

1) Small hard drive
2) Likely to be expensive.

It looks like this will be a good competitor for the new Sony HD-DVRs. Both are scheduled for release later this year.

-phil

Life's a party, let's get out and strut.
post #3 of 88 Old 04-23-2004, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Like the sony, I wonder if this has only one tuner, since they didn't mention two tuners in the press releases.

Pity about the small drive size too :(
post #4 of 88 Old 04-23-2004, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
http://www.dealerscope.com/doc/280316815920438.bsp

Might have CableCard support.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #5 of 88 Old 04-23-2004, 04:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You know someone will hack in a larger drive. It also includes an SD MPEG encoder. Rumor is that this thing will take DVI/HDMI in and pass it out on component.

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here --->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
good times!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 88 Old 04-23-2004, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dlalande
Like the sony, I wonder if this has only one tuner, since they didn't mention two tuners in the press releases.

Pity about the small drive size too :(
It is not like a Sony. It has firewire which makes Sony useless compared to this product.
post #7 of 88 Old 04-23-2004, 04:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Well, maybe not useless but certainly less desirable. Wonder why Sony isn't supporting firewire? Because they also have their fingers in the content provider pot?
post #8 of 88 Old 04-23-2004, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by archiguy
Well, maybe not useless but certainly less desirable. Wonder why Sony isn't supporting firewire? Because they also have their fingers in the content provider pot?
I've seen a couple of references to the Sony boxes having broadband support. Depending on what they are capable of they could make the firewire issue moot.

-phil

post #9 of 88 Old 04-23-2004, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones
You know someone will hack in a larger drive. It also includes an SD MPEG encoder. Rumor is that this thing will take DVI/HDMI in and pass it out on component.
Kipp,

Spill the beans. What else do you know? Where did you hear these rumors?

-phil

post #10 of 88 Old 04-23-2004, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll add another rumor to the pot. I called Mitsubishi and spoke to someone in their product customer support team who said more information would be available in June. I asked her if she new when the product would be available she said JUne.

-phil

post #11 of 88 Old 04-23-2004, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Am I correct to assume that this baby will be able to record HD satellite programs through its components IN or DVI/HDMI? Using a Dish 6000 or 821 receiver can we record HD programs without major loss?

Thanks

Sergio

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #12 of 88 Old 04-23-2004, 08:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
It will be pretty neat if it has CableCard support. It could be the first legitimate replacement for your cable co's box.

Unfortunately I expect it will be cost prohibitive to purchase it over renting the box for $10/mo.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #13 of 88 Old 04-23-2004, 10:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by PhilB
Kipp,

Spill the beans. What else do you know? Where did you hear these rumors?

-phil

Phil,
as soon as I have the details, I will post. I cannot reveal my sources or I will be cut out of the loop.

Kipp
good times!

post #14 of 88 Old 04-24-2004, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhilB
I've seen a couple of references to the Sony boxes having broadband support. Depending on what they are capable of they could make the firewire issue moot.

-phil
How does broadband support make firewire issue moot?. If I can't archive to external device like DVHS I and many members here are not intersted in Sony box.
post #15 of 88 Old 04-24-2004, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by slimoli
Am I correct to assume that this baby will be able to record HD satellite programs through its components IN or DVI/HDMI? Using a Dish 6000 or 821 receiver can we record HD programs without major loss?

Thanks

Sergio
No you can't record DVI/HDMI. That will never be allowed besides being impossible to record it right now anyway. Recording is done thru firewire.
post #16 of 88 Old 04-24-2004, 06:01 AM

Please pardon a relative newbie question: If this unit has firewire output, does that mean you should be able to connect a external firewire drive or either network using a dvd burner thru a computer to burn to DVD for archiving? I am unclear on whether or not it would take a DVD recorder (for DVD quality) or DVHS(for HDTV quality) Thanks, Harry
post #17 of 88 Old 04-24-2004, 06:53 AM

I've quickly learned not to get excited about a lot of new products due in great part to the lack of standardization with HDTV components and compatibility issues. Note this unit has component and HDMI inputs but the press release says only an SD mpeg encoder. That tells me anything coming in via component is going to be NTSC only. As stated above, the HDMI may not record at all, only what the thing receives via tuner. Also, no mention of Toslink in/out for 5.1. This is not the 169time competitor we D* users (and all other sat HD'ers) are hoping for. If Adelpia ever adds five or six more HD channels to the 3 they have in my area, I'm switching. I want my firewire and D-VHS!
post #18 of 88 Old 04-24-2004, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CKNA
How does broadband support make firewire issue moot?. If I can't archive to external device like DVHS I and many members here are not intersted in Sony box.
If I can get to the Sony hard drive via broadband from my PC and if I can copy the files off of the hard drive in .ts or .mpg format then I will be able to archive to DVHS or DVD.

A lot of big ifs, I know, which is why I said "Depending on what they are capable of they could make the firewire issue moot."

-phil

post #19 of 88 Old 04-24-2004, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jdatpslp
Note this unit has component and HDMI inputs but the press release says only an SD mpeg encoder. That tells me anything coming in via component is going to be NTSC only. As stated above, the HDMI may not record at all, only what the thing receives via tuner. Also, no mention of Toslink in/out for 5.1. This is not the 169time competitor we D* users (and all other sat HD'ers) are hoping for. !
I can almost certainly guarantee that the HDMI won't be recordable. Compressing that sort of bandwidth won't be practical for a number of years and won't be affordable for at least 5 years.

If this unit doesn't have SPDIF out then it will be the first HDTV tuner to do so. The HD-5000 has coax SPDIF and I would expect at least that on the HD-6000. IMHO Toslink is not as preferrable as Coax for digital.

-phil

post #20 of 88 Old 04-24-2004, 09:05 AM

I am not sure with most consumer receivers anyone can tell the diff between spdif/tos. As long as I get 16 bit 48kHz 5.1 cleanly, I don't care. The point I meant to make was, since HDMI carries audio, then someone is going to have to make an HDMI adapter that not only sends vid to dvi, but audio to an optical input of your choice. Again, compatibility issues with an evolving medium and no consistency. I don't mind dropping a few hundred every couple of years to upgrade software, but replacing a five figure HDTV investment in components every year just to get them to interface is out of my league.
post #21 of 88 Old 04-24-2004, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jdatpslp
I am not sure with most consumer receivers anyone can tell the diff between spdif/tos. As long as I get 16 bit 48kHz 5.1 cleanly, I don't care. The point I meant to make was, since HDMI carries audio, then someone is going to have to make an HDMI adapter that not only sends vid to dvi, but audio to an optical input of your choice.
Oh, I get your point now. HDMI audio isn't prevalent enough for Mits to be able to rely on it as the only digital audio interface. I'm not worried that and SPDIF connection won't be available - if they do so they are making the box pretty much useless for the majority of potential purchasers.

Now, please forgive me if I get a little anal here, but toslink digital audio is SPDIF. Both coax and Toslink use SPDIF as the data format. The coax and Toslink are only the physical interface. Coax uses elctrical signalling over a 75 ohm coaxial cable, Toslink uses optical signalling over a fiber optic cable.

-phil

post #22 of 88 Old 04-24-2004, 11:47 AM

True enough, but I can't count the times I've seen spdif out advertised in everything from converters to laptops, only to find out it was stereo only. The ADAT and other 8 track decks I've owned have all had Tos. Anyway, I too would be shocked if those using HDMI in new equipment leave us out in the cold. I'd hate to see the manufacturers take the same route so many computer hard/software makers have gone. I have a room full of obsolete equipment that I haven't even fully depreciated yet. All I want is box I can feed D* and my own material out of my computer via 1394 after it has been converted to a 720p 5.1 stream to a D-VHS. I can now do the latter with Vegas, but for recording from Directv, we are all still screwed.
post #23 of 88 Old 05-25-2004, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Let's revive this topic. Any news? MSRP? Kipp?

I want to buy one of these bad boys! :cool:
post #24 of 88 Old 05-25-2004, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Harrypr
Please pardon a relative newbie question: If this unit has firewire output, does that mean you should be able to connect a external firewire drive or either network using a dvd burner thru a computer to burn to DVD for archiving? I am unclear on whether or not it would take a DVD recorder (for DVD quality) or DVHS(for HDTV quality) Thanks, Harry
A D-VHS recorder is very likely but not an external hard drive. Hopefully someone will have one soon to be able to end speculation and provide specifications.

Chris
post #25 of 88 Old 05-25-2004, 02:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Alexander
Let's revive this topic. Any news? MSRP? Kipp?

I want to buy one of these bad boys! :cool:
I will check.

Kipp
good times!

post #26 of 88 Old 05-28-2004, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveFi
It will be pretty neat if it has CableCard support. It could be the first legitimate replacement for your cable co's box.

Unfortunately I expect it will be cost prohibitive to purchase it over renting the box for $10/mo.
I forgot to post this a while back. YES, it has CableCard support!

Quote:
Originally posted by markjv
:) Mits 2005 PDF file
post #27 of 88 Old 05-28-2004, 04:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

No word yet. So now you can add cable card to any DVI/HDMI set. Very cool.

Kipp
good times!

post #28 of 88 Old 05-29-2004, 09:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Thanks for the link to that brochure! I hadn't heard about those Mits HD-Cable-Ready DLPs.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
" -- hookbill
post #29 of 88 Old 05-30-2004, 09:44 AM
nyg
AVS Special Member

According to that PDF file there's three firewire ports! What's the MSRP?
post #30 of 88 Old 05-30-2004, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally posted by amelie
According to that PDF file there's three firewire ports! What's the MSRP?
Mitsubishi's press release for the product mentions neither price nor availability date and neither does any other mention of it that I can find on the web (all of which, of course, are based on the PR). The current HD-5000 device, which was only a tuner and connectivity console, principally aimed at supporting their high-end plasma monitors (sort of an outboard version of the "Promise Module"), was $1500, MSRP. This is a (much more) compact, generalized version of that with a PVR capability. If you read the page on the brochure, it's still designed as a plasma accessory, though usuable with any HDMI/HDCP or 1394/DTCP compliant monitor:
Quote:
When used with our 50" and 61" HD plasma displays, the HD-6000 provides all the features and benefits of our top-of-the-line HDTVs.
Given the target market, I wouldn't expect it to be inexpensive. There should be much cheaper, higher capacity CableCARD-equipped DVRs this fall. (As far as expanding the capacity of this thing goes, any demonstration that it can be hacked in that fashion would probably be grounds for putting its HDCP and DTCP credentials on Certificate Revocation Lists).

It's interesting to note that their new LT-4560 and LT-5560 flat-panel LCD integrated televisions essentially have this device built into them, 120GB PVR and all, though they're only .75" thicker than the plasmas (the 52" and 62" Diamond Series DLP RPTV and "flagship" 82" three-element 1080p LCoS RPTV also have built-in 120GB PVRs). Of course, given what they're likely to be asking for a 55", 1080p, 5" deep LCD monitor, the cost of this thing is in the noise. :)

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
" -- hookbill
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page