post #91 of 4353 Old 05-02-2004, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by danielhart
Thanks Doug, that was my similar post on TivoCommForum. I have an important question. I have this Tivo connected to my Sammy DLP in an armoire (WAF). Anyways, I have never had a Tivo in a cabinet before. She likes the doors closed when the TV is not in use, but I was a bit afraid of the heat factor, so I slipped down when she wasn't looking and opened the door as well as put the unit in standby mode. One, I don't want to fry the unit, and more importantly, I don't want to burn my house down. Do you think there may be a safety issue here? Would an extra ratshack fan and perhaps cutting out the back of the armoire behind the Tivo be indicated? I already removed the TV cut-out portion, but that doesn't really do anything as far as ventilating the Tivo. Also, do you think standby mode lowers the heat factor at all?

thanks

daniel the cross-poster:eek:
Daniel, I had a heat issue with my Series 1 TiVo. After hearing a bunch of suggestions, I ended up getting a couple small Altoid cans and used them as feet. They can be positioned far enough back to make it appear as if it is floating. This helps with the WAF. The bright red and white tins can be unsightly if seen. Lifting the TiVo up allows for better air flow. I would try something like that before cutting into the back of the armoir.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4353 Old 05-02-2004, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by danielhart
Thanks Doug, that was my similar post on TivoCommForum. I have an important question. I have this Tivo connected to my Sammy DLP in an armoire (WAF). Anyways, I have never had a Tivo in a cabinet before. She likes the doors closed when the TV is not in use, but I was a bit afraid of the heat factor, so I slipped down when she wasn't looking and opened the door as well as put the unit in standby mode. One, I don't want to fry the unit, and more importantly, I don't want to burn my house down. Do you think there may be a safety issue here? Would an extra ratshack fan and perhaps cutting out the back of the armoire behind the Tivo be indicated? I already removed the TV cut-out portion, but that doesn't really do anything as far as ventilating the Tivo. Also, do you think standby mode lowers the heat factor at all?
A couple watts is a couple watts, but I doubt anything really significant.

Watch the temperature reading on the system information display through the course of a day with the doors closed, or have a look after they've been closed all night when you first turn it on in the morning.

I would be uncomfortable and try to do something if it ever ran regularly in the low-to-mid 50°C's or higher.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 4353 Old 05-02-2004, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

First, the Hughes HR10-250 is quite nice. It's essentially the same box as the DVR2 unit, only with HD capability. The picture quality has been stellar, and I've only heard one very brief audio drop-out. I'm not ready to attribute it to the receiver just yet, although that's been raised over on the TiVo Forum.

I had VOOM for 5 days. What I found was a lot of the HDTV that I don't like on HBO or SHOWTIME--upconverted older movies. I also just read in The Perfect Vision that VOOM hasn't yet delivered on some of its HD stations.

The VOOM user guide was most unfriendly. Instead of just being able to get directly to the guide, I would go to a guide that would then give me about 5 or 6 options, one of which was the channel guide that I wanted to begin with. Nor could I flip back and forth between the guide and the display, as that first guide kept interrupting the transition between each other. Perhaps I just didn't spend enough time with it, but it was frustrating.

The only downside to the HR10-250 is the slowness with which its guide loads. Compared to my Samsung 160 unit, the HD DirecTivo Unit loads its channel guide . . . well, about as slowly as the DVR2 did. My understanding is that this is a function of the TiVo appendage, so we ought not get high hopes for improvement. Gone also is caller ID.

But the tradeoff is well worth it. It records HD quite well, and opens a new dimension of making more HD available, at least in terms of the viewing times that were formerly our only options.

The component signal from the HR10-250 is split with an Extron Distribution amplifier, feeding a NEC XG1352LC CRT projector, but for some reason the Faroudja DVP1000 processes the HD signal to 720p. I therefore elected to output 720p from the HR10-250, as opposed to 1080i. The distribution amplifier also feeds a Sony 57" WS700 HDTV.

The Sony, I'm sure, downconverts the 720p signal from the HR10-250 to 1080i, whereas the NEC projector can handle 720p, inasmuch as that's its primary setting on the Faroudja.

Looking forward to receiving additional units from VE. Cute certificate ("44th Early Adopter") and nice t-shirt.

Nick :cool:
post #94 of 4353 Old 05-02-2004, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

> The only downside to the HR10-250 is the slowness with which its guide loads. Compared to my Samsung 160 unit, the HD DirecTivo Unit loads its channel guide . . . well, about as slowly as the DVR2 did.

I gave up on the "Grid Guide" and exclusively use the "List Guide" (a.k.a. TiVo Guide).

Hong.

i have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it. -- edgar allan poe
post #95 of 4353 Old 05-02-2004, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree that the Directv guide is slow, but the HD tivo seems a little more responsive than my 2 SD units. It's hard to understand how they can make a box that's fast enough to record 2 HD stream while viewing a 3rd, but still can't display a progam guide with respectable speed.

Jay
post #96 of 4353 Old 05-02-2004, 03:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Thanks, Doug and others for all the info on availability. Doug your month old info sounds amazingly similar to the numbers being rumored about back in December with the 921. By all accounts, I suppose I can start bugging my dealer about mid May or June to see what he can come up with. I hope the TIVO construction doesn't have the same component supply issue that is hampering production now with the 921. I'd really like to get one of these but having the 921 working well for me now, TIVO's available really should go to those who have nothing at this point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #97 of 4353 Old 05-02-2004, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 548
My opinion is that the grid-guide on the HD-Tivo is every bit as slow as it is on my two DirecTV / Tivo combo units... It is, well, very slow.

That said, this box is a small miracle for HD aficionados. It just plain works.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #98 of 4353 Old 05-02-2004, 07:39 PM

I am still waiting for my pre-order. Maybe someone can answer a couple of questions for me.

I have heard conflicting stories on caller ID... so DOES IT OR DOESN'T IT have caller ID?

Also, does it have the feature that my Sony HD300 has where I can take HD content (like ESPN HD when not broadcasting HD) that comes in stretched and make it pillar-boxed?

I can't wait to start recording things again!

k
post #99 of 4353 Old 05-02-2004, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by keitht
I have heard conflicting stories on caller ID... so DOES IT OR DOESN'T IT have caller ID?
It does not.

Quote:
Originally posted by keitht
Also, does it have the feature that my Sony HD300 has where I can take HD content (like ESPN HD when not broadcasting HD) that comes in stretched and make it pillar-boxed?
It does not.

post #100 of 4353 Old 05-02-2004, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
It does not.

It does not.
Well, that s*cks!

Still gotta have it though!

k
post #101 of 4353 Old 05-03-2004, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Landis
Doug- Do you or anyone have any idea when TIVO will be shipping to regular dealers, Filling the pipes so to speak, so I can walk into my dealer here in Jacksonville and pick up my order I placed with him, he placed with his supplier, back in January? I'm in no rush but I just would like to know so I can plan it out. To the nearest month would be nice.
Don:

I walked in to my local Sound Advice Saturday, and ordered one from the 150 they show due in around 5/24. As of Sat. there were around 65 commits (people that paid).

Ron

Ron
post #102 of 4353 Old 05-03-2004, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
While we were waiting for any to ship to anyone, I was getting into looking at the chipsets available now that could very well be in a "next generation" model. The BroadCom BCM7038 (in conjunction with some other BroadCom support chips) looks like a neat one.
I'm really intrigued by the new Linx chipset that uses the so-called "Casper" technology. They claim that they will be able to drastically improve OTA HDTV reception. On their website, Linx claims that the "LX2004RX is a "Ghost-Friendly" ATSC standard compliant receiver IC. In contrast to other receiver solutions that try to cancel multiple signal echoes, LX2004RX gets the benefit of the energy in the echoes by combining the echoes to achieve near optimal DTV reception performance. "

See:

http://www.linxelectronics.com/products/lx2004rx.asp

Brett
post #103 of 4353 Old 05-03-2004, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BBobley
I'm really intrigued by the new Linx chipset that uses the so-called "Casper" technology. They claim that they will be able to drastically improve OTA HDTV reception. On their website, Linx claims that the "LX2004RX is a "Ghost-Friendly" ATSC standard compliant receiver IC. In contrast to other receiver solutions that try to cancel multiple signal echoes, LX2004RX gets the benefit of the energy in the echoes by combining the echoes to achieve near optimal DTV reception performance. "

See:

http://www.linxelectronics.com/products/lx2004rx.asp
I feel like I've been reading about Link's innovations for a couple years. I wish somebody could make it to market with a product using it.

Actually I'm not sure I really care anymore... I'd much rather see NYC OTA stations get their act together and broadcast closer to their full power.

post #104 of 4353 Old 05-03-2004, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 548
I forgot about Linx.

I wonder if it'll ever see the light of day.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #105 of 4353 Old 05-03-2004, 04:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Doug- There are some little discussed issues with high power digital transmissions. It involves interferrence to medical ICU systems. I have heard reports around the country where stations have had problems with local hospitals. One here in Jacksonville is about 3 miles away and still there was a problem. It's not the TV station's problem but rather the makers of the medical equipment did not adequately shield their equipment but the politics behind this is that when there is interferrence, it is blamed on the station transmitting regardless of who is technically at fault. Between this and fiscal justification for full power as long as the analog channel is still the bread and butter income, don't expect stations to move to high power too soon. I want it too but understand the arguments against doing it.

Don Landis
post #106 of 4353 Old 05-03-2004, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Landis
Doug- There are some little discussed issues with high power digital transmissions. It involves interferrence to medical ICU systems. I have heard reports around the country where stations have had problems with local hospitals. One here in Jacksonville is about 3 miles away and still there was a problem. It's not the TV station's problem but rather the makers of the medical equipment did not adequately shield their equipment but the politics behind this is that when there is interferrence, it is blamed on the station transmitting regardless of who is technically at fault. Between this and fiscal justification for full power as long as the analog channel is still the bread and butter income, don't expect stations to move to high power too soon. I want it too but understand the arguments against doing it.
Everything I've read about it from the FCC simply requires the stations notify medical facilities in the affected areas about their impending digital signal broadcasts and must give them 20 or 30 (don't remember exactly) days to deal with it before beginning broadcasting, not that the medical facilities have any power to prevent the station from turning on the switch once that waiting period expires.

post #107 of 4353 Old 05-03-2004, 05:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Like I said Doug, in local communities it is the politics of it as well as the fiscal reasons. Therefore not much going for high power until these two issues change. The medical mfgs. are well aware of the problems and I understand they are dealing with it but it won't be overnight.

Don Landis
post #108 of 4353 Old 05-03-2004, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Would every local jurisdiction be able to have a say-so whether stations could go to full power or not, or is that solely under the purview of the FCC?

Brett

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
post #109 of 4353 Old 05-03-2004, 07:42 PM

I've been a DirecTivo owner since October 2000 and I can echo the comments of other HDTivo owners, It works just like it should. Just like I EXPECTED. record two programs while watching another (There were several on this forum who said it couldn't be done) Wish lists, season passes etc.

You don't have to worry about pushing the wrong button, or standing in the wrong position and it will reboot. I have several season passes and it has not missed a recording. You don't have to turn it off to get guide data or turn on the live buffer, its always on. It works just like a PVR should, effortlessly.

Is it perfect? Almost Perfect in what it does, which is record/playback HD material. I say almost only because of the audio issues with HDNET. I have recorded from all HD sources available to me and only HDNet has had a problem. Slow menus, yep, But I so rarely use them. I watch what is in the "Now Playing" list NOT live TV, this is the same with my SD Tivo.

Does it have all the features that everybody wants, well no, but it does have the features I WANT. I see no other DVR that comes close to the abilities and capabilities of the HD-Tivo. I looked hard at the LG/Zenith offerings but they had TOO MANY limitations. I have used the HIPIX for the last 18 months, if it wasn't for the users/programmers from this forum I would have tossed it a long time ago.

Firewire? nope, doesn't have it, don't care. Will the USB ports ever be activated? don't know, don't care. I bought this for what it does TODAY. If the USB ports are activated it will be a bonus.

I have already ordered my 2nd Hard drive bracket from 9th Tee and I plan to put in another 250 gig hard drive to give me 60 hours of HD. 30 is probably enough put what the heck.

Am I a Tivo fanboy? nope, I just recognise what works for me. I think it was Tom Cruise in Risky Business that said "Porsche, there is no substitute" Let me just say "HD-Tivo, There is no substitute".

--Tomr
You've got to ask yourself - "Does it pass the common sense test?"
post #110 of 4353 Old 05-04-2004, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomr
I've been a DirecTivo owner since October 2000 and I can echo the comments of other HDTivo owners, It works just like it should. Just like I EXPECTED. record two programs while watching another (There were several on this forum who said it couldn't be done) Wish lists, season passes etc.

You don't have to worry about pushing the wrong button, or standing in the wrong position and it will reboot. I have several season passes and it has not missed a recording. You don't have to turn it off to get guide data or turn on the live buffer, its always on. It works just like a PVR should, effortlessly.

Is it perfect? Almost Perfect in what it does, which is record/playback HD material. I say almost only because of the audio issues with HDNET. I have recorded from all HD sources available to me and only HDNet has had a problem. Slow menus, yep, But I so rarely use them. I watch what is in the "Now Playing" list NOT live TV, this is the same with my SD Tivo.

Does it have all the features that everybody wants, well no, but it does have the features I WANT. I see no other DVR that comes close to the abilities and capabilities of the HD-Tivo. I looked hard at the LG/Zenith offerings but they had TOO MANY limitations. I have used the HIPIX for the last 18 months, if it wasn't for the users/programmers from this forum I would have tossed it a long time ago.

Firewire? nope, doesn't have it, don't care. Will the USB ports ever be activated? don't know, don't care. I bought this for what it does TODAY. If the USB ports are activated it will be a bonus.

I have already ordered my 2nd Hard drive bracket from 9th Tee and I plan to put in another 250 gig hard drive to give me 60 hours of HD. 30 is probably enough put what the heck.

Am I a Tivo fanboy? nope, I just recognise what works for me. I think it was Tom Cruise in Risky Business that said "Porsche, there is no substitute" Let me just say "HD-Tivo, There is no substitute".
I totally agree. Now let's get the HDNet audio problem fixed.

I have PM'd TiVoPony, TiVoOpsMgr (both on TiVo Community Forum) and Mark Cuban (here on AVS Forum) with a description of the symptoms, the consistency of the failures, and an acknowledgement of not knowing or assuming where the problem(s) is/are located.

Dave
post #111 of 4353 Old 05-04-2004, 12:23 PM

Looks like more TIVO's are on Ebay
post #112 of 4353 Old 05-04-2004, 12:49 PM

The price is ridiculous on eBay! $1500 - $2045 for the unit, what idiot would pay that, apparently over 50 are willing to bid on them!

Best Buy has it listed as coming soon for $999 with free shipping. They are all going to be less then a $1000 in the coming weeks as long as people don't allow price gouging to take place. It doens't matter how much money you have, Who can't wait a few weeks and save $800?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&ref=13&loc=01
post #113 of 4353 Old 05-04-2004, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kring
It doens't matter how much money you have, Who can't wait a few weeks and save $800?
Apparently about 50 people, at least.

post #114 of 4353 Old 05-04-2004, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
At least 50, if I hadn't preordered (4) from Tweeter/Sound Advice I'd be leaning toward a new unopened HR10-250, for now I can only hope my order is filled soon, tired of watching commercials with HD programs, and tired of making sure I'm home at the right time for HD materials.

I ordered a HR10-250 for each room and my main living room with the HLN617W 61" Samsung DLP is the box I will add another 250GB matching drive to, don't want to add a 300GB Maxtor, there must be a reason they put 7200 RPM drives in the box, recording 2 HD programs and watching a 3rd from playing must task the HDD a good bit.

To be very honest, flame me if you want but if I get my (4) HR10-250 soon enough and the demand is still there I will auction 1,2 or 3 of them on ebay. This is America and yes I'd love it if DirecTV / Hughes made enough to supply all the major players but they didn't and haven't and don't plan to for several months.

Seems to be the way it is for everything in high demand IE: PS2 when it was launched. How much were people paying for those? If the demand isn't there when my order is filled I will decide to maybe put my old SAT-T60 in one of the rooms and cancel one of my pre-orders or maybe I'll just get two of the HR10-250.

Regardless I walked in and threw down cash for (4) HR10-250 units. The total was $3392.00 tax included. DSS Package Discounts. Helps to know people..
post #115 of 4353 Old 05-05-2004, 01:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Brett-
Local Government has no jurisdiction over transmitter power. If a station fails to use it's FCC licensed power, it may be denied that power in a future license renewal. Even though a station is legally operating, yet also causes harm there is a remote possibility that they could get sued in civil court over an interference issue. Civil law is a whole different ball game and often has nothing to do with regulatory innocence or guilt. More likely, stations are concerned about public image and therefore will do the "right thing" to make the public happy. It would be very bad for public image if the local papers report deaths in a local ICU triggered by TV station's strong signal shutting down the ICU in a local hospital. This is what I meant by "political"

Don Landis
post #116 of 4353 Old 05-05-2004, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

That makes sense, Don... thanks.

Brett

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
post #117 of 4353 Old 05-05-2004, 10:26 AM

How does one go about changing the remote code for this and the SD tivo? I want to end up doing a similar thing, where I have my older SD Tivo, and my HD-Tivo one top of eachother. Obviously, controlling them would be an issue unless you change the remote codes for each, as someone stated. Can someone explain in detail how to do this? Thanks!
post #118 of 4353 Old 05-05-2004, 11:42 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally posted by hollismb
How does one go about changing the remote code for this and the SD tivo? I want to end up doing a similar thing, where I have my older SD Tivo, and my HD-Tivo one top of eachother. Obviously, controlling them would be an issue unless you change the remote codes for each, as someone stated. Can someone explain in detail how to do this? Thanks!
http://customersupport.tivo.com/tivo...lic/tv1087.htm

Bill Julyan
post #119 of 4353 Old 05-05-2004, 11:44 AM

Thanks oh so very much...
post #120 of 4353 Old 05-05-2004, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Any idea if there will be a new customer discount as I read about a while ago?
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page