Closed Thread

post #181 of 4353 Old 05-09-2004, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I'm still learning this thing so I defer to other for better reviews. In my mind it gets a big fat F- for guide speed and an F for Hard Drive management. I'd also give the audio side low marks (maybe a C) for the dropouts (which may not be a TiVo issue) and for the squeal when changing programs.
Are you using the Tivo guide? I don't think Tivo really wants people to use the traditional grid guide, or they would have made some effort to improve its performance in the last three years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4353 Old 05-09-2004, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally posted by bfdtv
Are you using the Tivo guide? I don't think Tivo really wants people to use the traditional grid guide, or they would have made some effort to improve its performance in the last three years.
Even the TiVo guide is way too slow. Obviously they (TiVo) figured the guide would be rarely used but IMO guide speed is atrocious and whatever they were thinking is beyond me.

I guess the reason for my "nervousness" with the Hard Drive is because I see no reason to have it running 70% of the time (in my case). My laptop HD spins up and down and hasn't suffered any issues (KOW). On the other side, we have a lot of IBM drives in systems that I oversee and we've experienced quite a few failures over the years and these systems are powered ON most of the time.

Geof
post #183 of 4353 Old 05-09-2004, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Geof
I guess the reason for my "nervousness" with the Hard Drive is because I see no reason to have it running 70% of the time (in my case). My laptop HD spins up and down and hasn't suffered any issues (KOW). On the other side, we have a lot of IBM drives in systems that I oversee and we've experienced quite a few failures over the years and these systems are powered ON most of the time.
IBM Deskstar 60GXP and 75GXP drives went through a bad run of controller chips that devastated their otherwise-up-till-that-happened excellent reputation. To this day, I won't buy one, whether it's called IBM or called Hitachi because of that experience and having yet today still deal with a number of the hundreds of these drives I'd speced on systems we built over the last 2-3 years. It'll be at least 2 or 3 more years before I'll even consider rethinking my ban on IBM/Hitachi drives on any equipment we buy at my office or I buy for myself or I have anything to do with recommending for friends.

I cannot think of more than a handful of cases where I experienced or dealt with a drive failure which didn't evidence itself when powering up a computer. Leaving it running is rarely a problem; turning it off and turning it on repeatedly again is just asking for it to fail on you. ;)
post #184 of 4353 Old 05-09-2004, 07:31 PM
reo

I can see your point Geof, I have to believe you have seen responses from many failures of e80's with hd failers and they have the ability to go to sleep automatically.

I'm a little surprised at your response to the IBM deskstar problems dswallow, this known issue of deskstar problems was brief and from I believe the 75 gig Malaysian run. From my experience with computers I have probably had 30 hd failures with the deskstar being the most reliable followed by Maxtor then western digital. I'm not knocking the WD drive, I have purchased a dozen since the 120gig 8mg cache became available because of their read write speeds. As far as leaving them running I have had them fail just as often from hard 24hr work in a web or proxy server as I have in a workstation that is started and stopped each day.

I believe its just like the soccer mom in the stop and go traffic with her mini van verses the hard driver that runs hard on the expressway everyday. maybe the hard driver gets more miles on his car but they'l probably last the same time in years. Just my 2cents......
post #185 of 4353 Old 05-09-2004, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

It's not just the Malaysian run/controller chip issue. I've had at least as many come with bad low level formats; all problems solved by running another low level format/drive erase. I got hit by that one in my own server; took me a good 3 months to realize what the problem really was, and it was only after discovering it on other drives I had that I ever discovered it wasn't the motherboard or a controller issue. And I'd say 1 out of 5 drives we've gotten from IBM has had the same issue. It was the norm to run the diagnostics against every IBM drive coming in new before doing anything else with it.

At any given time, we'll have 3 or 4 IBM drives returned for replacement under warranty. It's been like this for a good 6-10 months... probably longer as I'm not the one dealing directly with it, and from my perspective times seems to fly these days. It placed an extreme burden on everyone, and isn't going to be forgotten soon.

That's not to say any particular drive is perfect. But none fails or requires as much attention as the IBM Deskstars have over the last few years. When IBM sold off the division to Hitachi, the most stupid mistake they made was not changing the model names, too. That drive went from my absolute favorite, to my absolute most hated in a period of months. And it's not regaining my trust easily.
post #186 of 4353 Old 05-10-2004, 04:03 AM
reo

Thanks for the update, I must say my experience with the Deskstar's were before the sell-off. I was using allot of Maxtor's and WD drives since that transformation.

Now that the warranty period has been reduced on hard drives the problems can only get worse. I guess the good side is the price on current hard drives with their current size are very affordable in retrospect to what I have paid for in the past.
post #187 of 4353 Old 05-10-2004, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Jeff, did you get any good info that the OTA is weak or inferior and you get pixellation because of wildly fluctuating signal strenght or weak signal or that one tuner gets a better signal than the other. How is that possible unless you have a bad splitter or connection to the splitter and alot of people have reported this problem as well as me.
post #188 of 4353 Old 05-10-2004, 07:03 AM

Plasma, no such info yet about the ota tuner. I am very concerned about this. For 1K they should have done a better job with the tuner. This might prevent me from purchasing this unit.
post #189 of 4353 Old 05-10-2004, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Even the TiVo guide is way too slow. Obviously they (TiVo) figured the guide would be rarely used but IMO guide speed is atrocious and whatever they were thinking is beyond me.
Aaargh! Slow guides drive me nuts! How many years have they been making D* STBs? I just don't get it. This could be the deal breaker for me. Any chance they could speed things up with a firmware upgrade in the future?
post #190 of 4353 Old 05-10-2004, 08:23 AM

I must report that I am incredibly happy with the HR10-250. I have had it running now for three days. The recording of HDTV material is incredible. I was using a Philips DSR6000R01 before. The improvement in SD picture quality on my Pioneer 503 plasma is incredible, too. I was able to take out the older Sony HD-100 which I had to use to watch HDTV in real time.

Andrew S. Mansfield
post #191 of 4353 Old 05-10-2004, 08:37 AM

I wish people that own the tivo would use the gearview portion of this forum. Information is too spead out and we are getting a lot of conflicting information. Since most all stbs on the market have problems of some sort the tivo doesn't seem that bad especially if they fix the current problems. I am mostly concerned about the ota reception of this unit. Some people say that it is as good as the Samsung/Sonys and others report that it doesn't pick up any of their stations. Jeff
post #192 of 4353 Old 05-10-2004, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Jeff:

I must have overlooked the Gearview part of the forum. Thanks for pointing it out.

Until I get my HDTivo OTA comments reposted there, you can read my experience in the HDTivo OTA Reception Thread.
post #193 of 4353 Old 05-10-2004, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Jeff:

Well, I just went to the gearview section for the HDTivo, and there are no reviews as of yet. Also, I couldn't find a way to enter the first review.

I noticed that products that had some reviews already allowed you to enter a reply.

Any ideas?

TIA
post #194 of 4353 Old 05-10-2004, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RobHT
Aaargh! Slow guides drive me nuts! How many years have they been making D* STBs? I just don't get it. This could be the deal breaker for me. Any chance they could speed things up with a firmware upgrade in the future?
The beauty of the HD TiVo is being able to record HD with ease. It works great for that. I think most TiVo owners setup Season Passes to record their programs and in that situation the DirecTv and TiVo Guides don't come into play very often (to watch a recorded show you use the "Now Playing" guide).

The DirecTv and TiVo guides do speed up after 24-48 hours but it still takes 5 seconds (or so) for the DirecTv Guide to be drawn on the screen. The TiVo guide is faster but still slow in the overall scheme of things. My Hughes E86 guide is way faster than either of the HD TiVo guides. I do not know if they could improve guide speed with a software update. I do know that the E86 guide speed was improved quite a bit with a software update so I would hope the same could be done for the TiVo guides. Now whether or not that will be done is another matter altogether.

----

As I mentioned earlier in my situation the OTA tuner is better than my E86. I don't have a multipath issue, the problem in my particular case is low (very low) signal strength. Both of my OTA TiVo tuners outperform the E86. I have heard (read) quite a few reports that the TiVo is easily overloaded. I suspect (but cannot confirm) that the single OTA RF input is amplified before it is split (to feed the 2 OTA tuners), which likely accounts for it's seemingly better sensitivity but degraded overload sensitivity. I do not know how the tuners work in a multipath rich environment.

Geof
post #195 of 4353 Old 05-10-2004, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cymro
I just went to the gearview section for the HDTivo, and there are no reviews as of yet. Also, I couldn't find a way to enter the first review.

I noticed that products that had some reviews already allowed you to enter a reply.

Any ideas?
You have to make sure you're logged in at GearViews then when you are looking at the HR10-250, there's a "Post a review" link to the right of the model name title.
post #196 of 4353 Old 05-10-2004, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks, Doug.

I didn't realize that you had to log in again.
post #197 of 4353 Old 05-10-2004, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The DirecTv and TiVo guides do speed up after 24-48 hours but it still takes 5 seconds (or so) for the DirecTv Guide to be drawn on the screen. The TiVo guide is faster but still slow in the overall scheme of things. My Hughes E86 guide is way faster than either of the HD TiVo guides. I do not know if they could improve guide speed with a software update. I do know that the E86 guide speed was improved quite a bit with a software update so I would hope the same could be done for the TiVo guides. Now whether or not that will be done is another matter altogether.
Thanks for the feedback. I also have the E86 and I really like the guide (translucent guide, Super Quick view, and the on screen Caller ID is nice too).
post #198 of 4353 Old 05-10-2004, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RobHT
Thanks for the feedback. I also have the E86 and I really like the guide (translucent guide, Super Quick view, and the on screen Caller ID is nice too).
Yes, agreed on all counts. I do not know if I will be assimilated by the TiVo...I like the record functionality but the user interface is slow (you can easily punch buttons on the remote faster than the unit can respond) and the menues are painful. I, like many, still wait for the perfect STB (or even near perfect).

Geof
post #199 of 4353 Old 05-10-2004, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Geof
Yes, agreed on all counts. I do not know if I will be assimilated by the TiVo...I like the record functionality but the user interface is slow (you can easily punch buttons on the remote faster than the unit can respond) and the menues are painful. I, like many, still wait for the perfect STB (or even near perfect).
I felt the same way when I first started using the SD Directivos. I hated the slowness. The good news is that after awhile I got used to it and don't mind the slow guide that much anymore. I find myself channel surfing a whole lot less with Tivo than before, so that helps also. I have also set my favorite channels to be HD channels and set the guide to work off my favorite channels. It doesn't take much time to see whats on when you're looking at only the HD channels.

Jay
post #200 of 4353 Old 05-11-2004, 02:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joker454
Anyone else having problems with the optical audio on this unit? I just picked up my unit and the optical audio is all but unuseable.
I just set mine up this afternoon. It passes through digital audio when watching, but when I record and try to playback, I get a loud crackle and all audio goes out??? Have to go to live TV, non-digital and then it resets. D* had me erase the hard drive, but to no avail.

I shut off the dolby digital and all works fine. I am using the Pioneer Elite 49TX. any suggestions?? or bad unit?
post #201 of 4353 Old 05-11-2004, 03:33 AM
AVS Special Member

There's been a report of problems, mostly with HDNet. Right now it's not known if the problem is some weirdness with HDNet, with the way DirecTV is transmitting HDNet, or a problem with the HD-Tivo only.

Brett

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
post #202 of 4353 Old 05-11-2004, 05:04 AM

Can someone point me to the owner's manual for the HR10-250? I did a quick search and couldn't come up with it. Thanks.

Mark
post #203 of 4353 Old 05-11-2004, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hiltsy855
Can someone point me to the owner's manual for the HR10-250? I did a quick search and couldn't come up with it. Thanks.k
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...57#post1856357
post #204 of 4353 Old 05-11-2004, 06:53 AM

Quote:
I just set mine up this afternoon. It passes through digital audio when watching, but when I record and try to playback, I get a loud crackle and all audio goes out??? Have to go to live TV, non-digital and then it resets. D* had me erase the hard drive, but to no avail.
I have the exact same issue. Same receiver...same crackle...same audio drop.

Very annoying.

Regards,
Lee
post #205 of 4353 Old 05-11-2004, 08:23 PM

So the regular component out is HD? My set doesn't have the DVI. Also, does the OTA channels come up in the menu or do you have to switch over?

This seems to be what I'm waiting for. Being able to watch all the late night HD shows the next day... at a normal time.
post #206 of 4353 Old 05-11-2004, 09:36 PM

Can anyone who has this box tell me if there is a panoramic or stretch mode for viewing regular sd signals. My current Sony box has a Panoramic view wich is great. You can hardly tell the picture has been stretched, not like the normal "wide" mode where everyone looks 40 pounds heavier. I 've looked up the owners manuel online but it doesn't say. thanks
post #207 of 4353 Old 05-11-2004, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, it's called the "Ratio" button on the remote.
post #208 of 4353 Old 05-12-2004, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
King Maq-

Welcome to AVS Forum!

There are currently no 'stretch/crop/zoom/panorama' modes available on the HD Tivo, but since this is a serious omission, I certainly hope DirecTV will 'fix' it and soon.

The 'ratio' button switches between 'full' and 'letterbox' modes if you set the Tivo in 4:3 mode, or between 'full' and 'side panel' modes if you set it for 16:9. However, if you use 720p or 1080i output modes, the Tivo will 'assume' your display is 16:9 anyway. If you watch a 4:3 program broadcast on a channel with a 16:9 signal and 'hard-coded' side panels, you cannot get that picture to fill the screen.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #209 of 4353 Old 05-12-2004, 07:27 AM

Mine works flawlessly, but it does not have a 30 second skip button. That is driving me crazy. That fact alone might be a deal breaker. I hat to pay circuit city's restocking fee, so might just sell it on ebay or this forum.

Other than that fact, it is a great machine.

Don
post #210 of 4353 Old 05-12-2004, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DJPtron
Mine works flawlessly, but it does not have a 30 second skip button. That is driving me crazy. That fact alone might be a deal breaker. I hat to pay circuit city's restocking fee, so might just sell it on ebay or this forum.

Other than that fact, it is a great machine.

Don
The 30 sec. skip is an undocumented feature. You have to enable it. While playing a recorded show his SELECT PLAY SELECT 3 0 SELECT. This changed the SKIP TO END (-->|) button into a 30 sec. skip. It will require reenabling again if you reboot your system.
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page