How to record via IEEE 1394 (Firewire) to Windows XP - Page 121 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #3601 of 6090 Old 02-13-2007, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1394 View Post

The cable head-end has to explicitly forward PMT descriptors and PSIP packets from the received ATSC stream into their QAM stream. It's done with programmable hardware, so anything is possible.

Here in the SF Bay Area, it's a mix. Some channels have everything forwarded (CBS and FOX) and some don't (ABC).

Ron

What do you think is a possible explanation for why CBS-HD here would have an RC flag of 0x01 and CCI of 0x02 for 4+ months and then suddenly change back to 0x00?

Have you noticed any change in the RC flag and/or CCI of your CBS-HD channel in the last 24 hours?

If it's something that changed at the head-end, can you guess why CBS would be changed in one direction (going from copy once to copy free) at pretty much the same time NBC went the other direction (copy free to copy once)?

What RC status are you seeing on NBC now?

I'm trying to see how this recent event might fit into my conceptualization of how this all works so my two-way discussions with the manager of our local Comcast service center make sense and are accurate as far as is possible.

I felt like I was being encouraged to think the RC flag was being put in by CBS nationally and that whether or not it resulted in a CCI=0x02 for me was dependent on the local cable company and/or local DVR firmware. At some point it looked like the RC flag was more likely to be incorporated at a national level and the CCI flag was STB-centric and dictated locally. If this is not necessarily the case, perhaps it is dictated nationally but implemented (or not) at a local level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 6090 Old 02-13-2007, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 148
The only thing I can add is that it isn't a network thing. Reports of which stations can be copied are opposite in many markets. I know here, where two companies operate the big 4, it is based on the owner. Specifically, the Clear Channel owned ones are blocked.
post #3603 of 6090 Old 02-13-2007, 10:08 PM

Liked: 10
I can record live feeds flawlessly w/ CapdVHS, however, any previously recorded programs coming off the DVR is heavily plagued w/ visual wrinkles and hiccups.

has there been any mention of or solution to these kind of problems?

post #3604 of 6090 Old 02-14-2007, 04:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluxon View Post

What do you think is a possible explanation for why CBS-HD here would have an RC flag of 0x01 and CCI of 0x02 for 4+ months and then suddenly change back to 0x00?

Have you noticed any change in the RC flag and/or CCI of your CBS-HD channel in the last 24 hours?

If it's something that changed at the head-end, can you guess why CBS would be changed in one direction (going from copy once to copy free) at pretty much the same time NBC went the other direction (copy free to copy once)?

What RC status are you seeing on NBC now?

I'm trying to see how this recent event might fit into my conceptualization of how this all works so my two-way discussions with the manager of our local Comcast service center make sense and are accurate as far as is possible.

I felt like I was being encouraged to think the RC flag was being put in by CBS nationally and that whether or not it resulted in a CCI=0x02 for me was dependent on the local cable company and/or local DVR firmware. At some point it looked like the RC flag was more likely to be incorporated at a national level and the CCI flag was STB-centric and dictated locally. If this is not necessarily the case, perhaps it is dictated nationally but implemented (or not) at a local level.

The rc_descriptor is inserted by the local DTV stations encoder (except for FOX stations when they are on the network splicer feed, in which case it's being inserted by the FOX network encoder). So upgrades or change outs of encoders can affect the insertion of the rc_descriptor. For example, when the local NBC affiliate (KNTV-DT) upgraded their encoder, they stopped inserting the rc_descriptor (and have been STB 1394 copy free ever since).

Many DTV stations (especially CBS affiliates) are still using older Harris Flexicoder encoders. When it looked like the Broadcast Flag was going to be reality in 2005, Harris updated all their Flexicoders in the field. So a lot of rc_desciptor insertion is just leftovers from that update.

Cable head-ends are always fiddling with their QAM streams (at least they seem to here in Silicon Valley). So that can also affect forwarding of the rc_descriptor.

The only way to really know what's going on is to capture both the OTA stream and the QAM stream to see if there's an rc_desciptor to begin with in the OTA stream and if it's being forwarded in the QAM stream.

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net
post #3605 of 6090 Old 02-14-2007, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1394 View Post

The rc_descriptor is inserted by the local DTV stations encoder (except for FOX stations when they are on the network splicer feed, in which case it's being inserted by the FOX network encoder). So upgrades or change outs of encoders can affect the insertion of the rc_descriptor. For example, when the local NBC affiliate (KNTV-DT) upgraded their encoder, they stopped inserting the rc_descriptor (and have been STB 1394 copy free ever since).

>That makes sense to me and corroborates with the fact that a Tech at our local CBS affiliate mentioned that they installed a new encoder when I enquired about my CCI change back in October. At the time I suspected that the "new encoder" was related to the change in CCI but the Tech didn't seem to know anything other than that it was a new encoder.

Yes, I've noticed that FOX is the only network where the RC and CCI flags change here depending on whether the programming originates locally or nationally.<</font>

Many DTV stations (especially CBS affiliates) are still using older Harris Flexicoder encoders. When it looked like the Broadcast Flag was going to be reality in 2005, Harris updated all their Flexicoders in the field. So a lot of rc_desciptor insertion is just leftovers from that update.

>It seems a little odd that our local CBS affiliate might've had to change out their "new encoder" so soon, so I wonder if perhaps they're just using the old one temporarily. It sure would be nice if they could keep things as they are (flagged free) - at least for the NCAA tournament and again next fall for football.

Perhaps our NBC affiliate just got one of these "new encoders".

Or should I be referring to these as "old encoders"?<</font>

Cable head-ends are always fiddling with their QAM streams (at least they seem to here in Silicon Valley). So that can also affect forwarding of the rc_descriptor.

>This is where I was hoping I could make some inroads, but I didn't realize cable companies were free to "fiddle" with the QAM streams in such a way that might modify a passing rc_descriptor. Have you had any conversations with your cable company that would leave room for optimism that they might someday be willing to alter the forwarding of the rc_descriptor to allow laptop viewing via firewire of HD programming that's already free on ATSC?<</font>

The only way to really know what's going on is to capture both the OTA stream and the QAM stream to see if there's an rc_desciptor to begin with in the OTA stream and if it's being forwarded in the QAM stream.

>Well, I haven't tried that yet as I just picked up a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 to try out. When I get some streams to compare, would you mind helping me view them (I'm not sure what to open them with)?<</font>

Ron

I'm also enquiring about getting the R5000-HD mod done to an old Hughes HIRD-E86 that's been collecting dust the last few years. I've never been a satellite subscriber so it's only been used for OTA. Since we've always had cable and are in a great OTA area, I'm just not sure if the R5000-HD mod is preferable to simply building up a PC with a couple HDTV tuner cards in it. I think I would prefer to just stick with what I've got if the time was coming soon that I could simply firewire view/capture local HD from my cable DVRs. Do you have any pertinent recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks!

Tim
post #3606 of 6090 Old 02-15-2007, 10:03 AM
kli

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Okay, that's probably not it. What RPM does your hard drive run at and how full is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kli View Post

Its a 60gb 7200rpm drive... there's about 9gb of space left. The "test files" i'm creating are only 5 mins long, and are about 650mb give or take.

Anyone else have any insights as to why my CAPDVHS captures from my moto3412 box are coming back choppy? Like I mentioned before, I have everything set just as the guide from replayguide shows. I'm trying to capture it over firewire onto a laptop (P M 2.0ghz w 1gb RAM). It appears to capture fine, although of course I should verify that the original .ts file doesn't have the issue (anyone know of a player that plays .ts files?). However playing back the converted mpg file results in a choppy video that appears to have dropped frames.
post #3607 of 6090 Old 02-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 83
As I recall, before firewire caps stopped in my area, VideoLan Client (VLC) played back .ts files. VLC is freeware.

Arvy
post #3608 of 6090 Old 02-15-2007, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody on Comcast having any luck lately? Admittedly, I haven't tried in a month or more ever since everyone, including me, discovered that the output was scrambled and basically unusable.

Any change on that front? workarounds?

Carey Dissmore
post #3609 of 6090 Old 02-15-2007, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Anyone else have any insights as to why my CAPDVHS captures from my moto3412 box are coming back choppy? Like I mentioned before, I have everything set just as the guide from replayguide shows. I'm trying to capture it over firewire onto a laptop (P M 2.0ghz w 1gb RAM). It appears to capture fine, although of course I should verify that the original .ts file doesn't have the issue (anyone know of a player that plays .ts files?). However playing back the converted mpg file results in a choppy video that appears to have dropped frames.

I always confirm my capture is good by opening the .ts file in VLC before doing any kind of conversion. My conversion and editing is always done in Womble's Mpeg Video Wizard, which cleans up minor issues, occasionally even choppiness.

My 3416 usually begins having output issues after two or more captures from the same program file. A hard (unplug for 10 seconds) reboot always gets it back to normal and good behavior is resumed (5 to 10 minutes later - sometimes longer to resolve ALL the glitches). I have to do it so often I just put a switch inline with the power cord.

Give the power cycle a try before your next capture to see if things improve.
post #3610 of 6090 Old 02-15-2007, 08:08 PM

Hi everyone.... I'm kinda new here.

First of all: HOLY @#^&#* THIS IS SO AMAZING!! Thanks so much for everybody who helped put this setup together. I followed the instructions, and it looks like I have been able to capture footage from the Grammy's and this year's SuperBowl HalfTime show in full high definition... I cannot tell you how excited I am.

Now I just need to get a faster PC to play back this footage, because my CPU jumps up to about 85% when I play it back, and while the image looks fantastic, the sounds stutters. I'm suprised it's the sound that got affected, and not the image quality. Is that typical? Or could it be that my capture wasn't perfect after all :-( My plan is to take these files to a much faster PC and test it out there. (See below for details of my setup.)

Second question: what are .ts files..? I can't figure this one out. I have the extension set to .mpg and I can play those files back. Does CAPDVHS do something different when you set the extensions to .ts? What is the resulting difference exactly?

A few more quick details re. my setup:
- DVR: Comcast Motorola 6412 (Cambridge, MA)
- PC OS: Windows Media Center Edition
- CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2700+
- RAM: 2 Gig
- Graphics card: ATI Radeon X800XT

Again, thanks so much everybody. I'll let you know if the sound plays back fine on a faster computer, or if otherwise my capture is not quite good. Any additional info on the .ts file or other tips really appreciated. (For example: could I improve things by installing different MPEG codecs maybe..? I'm a bit clueless about that, I'm afraid.)

- Erik
post #3611 of 6090 Old 02-15-2007, 10:25 PM

Okay, in the meantime I have learned that .ts is the extension for the Transport Streaming files coming off the cable-box-DVRs. I assume that means that the capturing I did resulted in TS files that I named .mpg.

I assume I can just rename the files to *.ts and then deal with them in HDTVtoMPEG2 for example.

Here's a question I'd love to know the answer to:
Can .ts files be burned to DVD discs that will then play in HD-DVD or Blu-Ray players in the original 1920x1080 resolution? That would be truly awesome!

Thanks,

- Erik
post #3612 of 6090 Old 02-15-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderneut View Post

Here's a question I'd love to know the answer to:
Can .ts files be burned to DVD discs that will then play in HD-DVD or Blu-Ray players in the original 1920x1080 resolution? That would be truly awesome!

Thanks,

- Erik

To get them to play in a blu-ray player, you will need a blu-ray burner.

There are a few video editors that will burn regular DVD disk with 1920x1080 resolution that will play in an HD-DVD player, but that DVD will only hold 20-30 minutes of HD data. To burn longer files will require an HD-DVD burner.

Chris
post #3613 of 6090 Old 02-16-2007, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teague View Post

To get them to play in a blu-ray player, you will need a blu-ray burner.

There are a few video editors that will burn regular DVD disk with 1920x1080 resolution that will play in an HD-DVD player, but that DVD will only hold 20-30 minutes of HD data. To burn longer files will require an HD-DVD burner.

Chris

What about burning multiple TS files to one single-layer DVD? I have a bunch of 24 season 6 episodes captured to TS, and I would like to somehow "shrink" then and burn four per disc, like the retail DVDs. I believe SVCD2DVD will do this, but I do not want to pay for that program withgout knowing exactly how good the quality would be if I do what I want to do. Anyone have any suggestions?
post #3614 of 6090 Old 02-16-2007, 07:56 AM

I've searched this thread to see if anyone had any success with Vista on installing the STB drivers and running CapDVHS (I have a Motorola 6200, I think). Since I couldn't find anything, I struck out on my own. With some trial and (lots of) error , I got it to work. Let me just say I didn't want to install the drivers in Vista by choice; I just got a new laptop with Vista Premium on it, and couldn't spend the extra cash and time to backfit XP on it.

In short, I followed the instructions at the beginning of this thread, and the drivers posted did not work with my machine. In the end, the instructions were correct, but the drivers themselves would not play with Vista (on my machine anyways). After some desperation and uninstall/reboot/reinstall sessions, I thought it was time for looking at other drivers.

I tried the old "meidvhs" panasonic DVHS emulation drivers that worked on my very old laptop (see my previous post a while ago!). In short, didn't work either. Had to clean the entries from the device manager afterwards...

Here's what finally worked for me. The instructions to install are the same as in the OP, the following are just the deltas.

Search for this thread on a post with a zip file called "drivers_channel.zip (105.6 KB)" [this forum won't let me post an URL, not my fault! ] and copy to a folder. On a "clean" machine, plug in the 1394 cable with STB on. When going through the "Windows gauntlet" driver install, point install to that folder. CapDVHS worked after that! NOTE: The driver install sequence in Vista is very slightly different than XP. The intent is the same, but the wording is different.

Also note, the 5C issue is still with Vista. All encrypted channels will still not work with Vista on my machine as described (I guess Microsoft will have to write some sort of drivers to work with 5C).

For playback, I was surprised that Vista came with playback drivers for the TS files that come out of CapDVHS Now the bad news, the default playback stinks However, the bright ray of sunshine was VLC Despite all the negative feedback on the VLC forum about working under Vista, it _does_ work great on mine!!!!
post #3615 of 6090 Old 02-16-2007, 10:26 AM
kli

Quote:

I always confirm my capture is good by opening the .ts file in VLC before doing any kind of conversion. My conversion and editing is always done in Womble's Mpeg Video Wizard, which cleans up minor issues, occasionally even choppiness.

My 3416 usually begins having output issues after two or more captures from the same program file. A hard (unplug for 10 seconds) reboot always gets it back to normal and good behavior is resumed (5 to 10 minutes later - sometimes longer to resolve ALL the glitches). I have to do it so often I just put a switch inline with the power cord.

Give the power cycle a try before your next capture to see if things improve.

So I had a moment last night to try out VLC to playback the .ts file and found that the actual capture from the moto box is perfect. Playback is smooth and looks great. So i guess that the HDTVtoMPEG2 program specified isn't configured correctly somehow. I followed the instructions exactly, and double & triple checked each time I tried it. Any thoughts on what could be the problem?
post #3616 of 6090 Old 02-16-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:

So I had a moment last night to try out VLC to playback the .ts file and found that the actual capture from the moto box is perfect. Playback is smooth and looks great. So i guess that the HDTVtoMPEG2 program specified isn't configured correctly somehow. I followed the instructions exactly, and double & triple checked each time I tried it. Any thoughts on what could be the problem?

If you are using HDTVtoMPEG2 to convert your .ts files to .mpg files then you should really be using VideoRedo because the HDTVtoMPEG2 program is really only designed to edit out sections/commercials from a .ts file despite it's name.

If you've got the time to read through 48 pages of postings, you will find out it's limitations.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=395744
post #3617 of 6090 Old 02-16-2007, 02:49 PM
kli

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjohns1 View Post

If you are using HDTVtoMPEG2 to convert your .ts files to .mpg files then you should really be using VideoRedo because the HDTVtoMPEG2 program is really only designed to edit out sections/commercials from a .ts file despite it's name.

If you've got the time to read through 48 pages of postings, you will find out it's limitations.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=395744

Good to know. I figured since all the guides suggested using HDTVtoMPEG2, I'd give it a whirl. Typically in the past I've used TmpgEnc Xpress for video stuff. I'll have to look into whether or not it supports .ts files. I have used the VideoReDo trial before and its definitely user friendly.

Thanks for the heads up.
post #3618 of 6090 Old 02-16-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2112 View Post

What about burning multiple TS files to one single-layer DVD? I have a bunch of 24 season 6 episodes captured to TS, and I would like to somehow "shrink" then and burn four per disc, like the retail DVDs. I believe SVCD2DVD will do this, but I do not want to pay for that program withgout knowing exactly how good the quality would be if I do what I want to do. Anyone have any suggestions?

That works fine with SVCD2DVD. You can download the demo version to test. I went ahead and paid for it after I was happy with the demo (~$18.00). But when you put too long a show on a single layer DVD, the quality starts to suffer.

You can also use HDTV2DVD, which is a free version of SVCD2DVD that only does the .ts 2 DVD conversion.

Chris
post #3619 of 6090 Old 02-16-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjohns1 View Post

I also tried VideoRedo today and I must say that I am so pleased with it that I will most likely end up registering it (unless I were to find something even better). Through VideoRedo I was able to verify that my captures were good (still have to try VLC for that as well -- I'm still new to all this), and I was able to convert the .ts files to .vob files (just as a test really), and to my pleasant surprise: those .vob files at full 1920x1080 resolution played beautifully on my machine, including sound without any hickups!

I recorded the Police performance from the Grammy's, and Prince's SuperBowl halftime show. It's shorter things like that that I am really interested in. So, that's why I am also interested in burning HD material on regular DVD5 or DVD9 discs that I can play in an HD-DVD player. If I can do that, then I am going to get myself a nice Toshiba HD-XA2. Does anyone know what file format I would have to burn those discs in? I know the regular SD-DVD structure, but I imagine that it's totally different for HD-DVD..?

Thanks again so much... Now I only wish I had known of this discussion here a few years back... All those beautiful performances I have deleted from my DVR (such as Prince at the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame.... how I wish I could see that again in HD now...)

- Erik
post #3620 of 6090 Old 02-16-2007, 10:58 PM

Oh man, that VLC player is incredible!! It plays the .ts files with total ease! Gorgeous!!! I'm happy as a kid :-D It uses only about 30% to 45% of the CPU too! (That compared with choppy playback in WMP using 85% CPU.)

Wow....

- Erik
post #3621 of 6090 Old 02-17-2007, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teague View Post

That works fine with SVCD2DVD. You can download the demo version to test. I went ahead and paid for it after I was happy with the demo (~$18.00). But when you put too long a show on a single layer DVD, the quality starts to suffer.

You can also use HDTV2DVD, which is a free version of SVCD2DVD that only does the .ts 2 DVD conversion.

Chris

Any idea how I could shrink the HDTV2DVD files, to fit more of them onto one single-layer DVD? Maybe I should just invest in a pack of DL DVDs...
post #3622 of 6090 Old 02-17-2007, 11:19 AM

Erik, if you check out the thread on authoring HD-DVD disks in the HD-DVD Software forum you'll see quite a few people are having playback issues with the disks they have burned on the HD-XA2. I have had no issues with my HD-A1. As for format, the thread will tell you what software is compatible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderneut View Post

So, that's why I am also interested in burning HD material on regular DVD5 or DVD9 discs that I can play in an HD-DVD player. If I can do that, then I am going to get myself a nice Toshiba HD-XA2. Does anyone know what file format I would have to burn those discs in? I know the regular SD-DVD structure, but I imagine that it's totally different for HD-DVD..?
- Erik

...joe
post #3623 of 6090 Old 02-17-2007, 11:30 AM

Oy. Seem to have taken a giant step backwards after having my Seattle Comcast 6412 replaced. The first one, which I've had since they first came out, stopped responding to commands. The 'new' one- it had obviously been returned by another customer- works fine, but I can no longer do the firewire record I've been doing for years. I precisely followed the instructions in this post, everything installed fine, but CapDVHS now won't record.

Previously when I hit record in CapDVHS, I would get the data info tab populated. Now, I get blanks on that tab, and though the status line on the bottom says it's recording, and it does create a file with some content (at least a file size), the file won't play in TheaterTek like the other stuff I've previously recorded.

The file created also crashes HDTVtoMPEG2 if I try to add it for processing. I've checked 5C status, no problem there.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Anything further I can check? I'm very unhappy about losing this capability.
post #3624 of 6090 Old 02-17-2007, 12:12 PM

This is going to be great. However, first attempt got great vid but no aud. none. converted the .ts to mpg via HDTVtoMPEG2 with all the settings suggested and played the .ts via Media Player Classic - same. verified audio is working on machine.

Moto 6412 on Com-castic

Any help is greatly appreciated. some of the later dvr recordings have not been viewable and cable guy is coming Monday. I fear he'll swap the box and i'll lose the earlier valid recordings (Super Bowl 40, etc.)

thanks,
Rick

Added: ok, found some sound. Using MPC, utils, DSM converter, made a .dsm file and it is brilliant - in phase and everything. MPC plays it nicely. This feels like a good thing, but what can I do with it? i.e. can I build DVDs the same way? again, any help is great. Thanks again.
post #3625 of 6090 Old 02-17-2007, 11:23 PM

Not sure if I should give up or not. Had originally followed the post at the start of this thread with some success. I was able to record to a laptop.

AMD Athlon 64 AMD 3000+ 512 MB

But I the video was just too jerky. It would stall and stop and guess, simply drop too many frames. I fool around and found that quite often capdvhs would always record, but that hdtv2dvd would only recognize the .ts file some of the times. When it did work, the resulting video had more dropped frames than good ones. There was one time where I managed to record part of 'king of cars' in hd and it was perfect. Not sure why it worked that time.

Decided to try desktop computer. Not super powerful, just a pentium 4 with 512 megs of ram and a faster hdrive. This time hdtv2dvd always recognizes the .ts file, but the result is still dropping frames. The result is maybe twice as good as the laptop, but still not really watchable. The quality of the picture is great.

So I thought to use windv because of its buffering capabilities, but I can't seem to get past an "can't find pin" error. Maybe this program is only for video cameras?

So I'm wondering if I'm just not using fast enough computer equipment. Someone a while back was happy with their results, but their computer was a lot more powerful. Now I'm wondering if its just that I don't have a fast enough processor, or hdrive, or dedicated drive? I tried shutting down processes that were not needed and disabling virus scanning, etc...

The fact it worked once to record flawless HD makes me think it should work. I would use other software, but haven't found any that recognizes and captures the video from the motorola 6412 except for capdvhs.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
post #3626 of 6090 Old 02-17-2007, 11:44 PM

I have a SA 8300hd with Comcast and I can't seem to get it to work. Why????

anyone else having this problem?
post #3627 of 6090 Old 02-18-2007, 01:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

drbenson,

When the data info fields are not populated but a file is being recorded, you are "capturing" a program marked with the CCI=0x02 flag. You won't be able to do anything with this file. At least half of the local HD channels in the Seattle area have this flag. Most recently, the CCI flag for KIRO-HD was changed from "2" (copy once - DVHS, not a PC) to "0" (copy free) and for KING-HD it was changed from "0" to "2". Currently, you should be able to still make captures (or view view firewire in VLC) from KOMODT 104, KIRODT 107, KMYQDT 110, KCPQDT 113 (SD programs only), ESPNHD 173, ESPN2H 174, UHD 660, MTVHD 661, TNTHD 662, DHD 663, and INHDCOM 664.

Interestingly, the channels that aren't available OTA are flagged DRM=0x01, but CCI=0x00 (allowing capture), while the locals that are RC Flag=0x01 and CCI=0x02 are all flagged DRM=0x00. Perhaps the CCI is improperly getting its value from the RC Flag while it should be getting set according to the DRM value. I don't really want to point that out to Comcast, however, because I much prefer being able to view/capture those DRM=0x01 channels on my notebook if it's an either/or situation.

rscottg,

While true that it takes a fair amount of horsepower to decode (playback) the .ts/MPEG-2 stream, it doesn't take very much at all to write the stream to the hard drive. I'm using a relatively low power Pentium M 1.4 Centrino notebook with a 5400 RPM hard drive, and as long as a disk-writing-intensive program like Diskeeper isn't running, I have no hiccups capturing the file. In fact, I'm almost always multi-taking the notebook during my captures without fear of bad files. The biggest problem is that the DCT-3416 often seems to lose it's horsepower when connected by firewire (happens with my DVHS VCR and my firewire-equipped Mitsubishi LT-46131 TV in addition to my notebook PC). A hard power cycle (10 seconds) is always enough to solve the problem (temporarily, unfortunately).
post #3628 of 6090 Old 02-18-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfparker View Post

I have a Mits TV with firewire out connected to a Shuttle XPC. I've installed the drivers and CapDHVS on the Shuttle. I can get everything to work until I have to reboot the Shuttle at whch point the driver tells me the TV is no longer connected. Unplugging and plugging the firewire cable doesn't do anything. The only way I can get the Shuttle to recognize the TV is to uninstall the drivers and start all over again. Anyone have any ideas why the driver won't find the TV after the reboot?

Could someone please tell me how to install the drivers for the CapDHVS. I do not get the 'hardware not found message", so how do I go from here? I installed, and had working CapDHVS working like a charm for about a week, then no data out of the Firewire line. I checked the drivers in the CapDHVS and they were not there. Without this message I do not know where to start installing the drivers.
post #3629 of 6090 Old 02-18-2007, 02:59 PM

How do I install the drivers for the CapDHVS capture software. I do not get the "Hardware not installed" message. Thanks a lot! I have had this thing working for about a week. When I check the CapDHVS no driver.
post #3630 of 6090 Old 02-18-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3W813 View Post

This worked like a charm!! Thanks bdraw!!!

When I first plugged it in, I got a 'Unknown Device' so I canceled that.Then the 'AV/C Tuner Device' which I forced installation of the Panasonic DVHS AV/C Device. Then a 'AV/C Panel Device' which I canceled. Went to device manager and disabled the 2 other devices.

Fired up CapDVHS, test recorded PBS HD for 2 minutes, played the clip through VLC. Perfect recording, no skipped frames, or sound drops.

Here are my machine specs if anybody is wondering...
Intel P4-3.45GHz HT @920
2x512MB Kingston HyperX DDR500 @460
MSI 865PE Neo2 FISR
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB
SB Audigy 2 output thru S/PDIF
Linksys WMP54G Wireless PCI
Hauppauge Win-TV PCI
Adaptec 29160N U160 SCSI Adapter
Seagate Cheetah 10K U160 9GB (Boot/Programs)
2x200GB Western Digital 8MB SE (Storage)
Samsung 16X DVD-ROM
Pioneer 106A DVD-RW
Enermax 450W PSU

Motorola 620X fw7.10

I'm having trouble with the device driver in CapDVHS. I have the CapDVHS program loaded, but it shows no device driver installed. And when I hook the CapDVHS up to the Motorola 6416 I do not get a "Device not found" error message. I just can't seem to get the device drivers installed. Will someone please help?

Bobby Hall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page