Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 6031 Old 09-22-2004, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
FYI,
I tried using Windows Media Encoder and it crashed, gave an error, and blue screened XP Pro. I guess it doesn't like the stream it found.

Tim Huey

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 6031 Old 09-23-2004, 06:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, as I expected my 2 locals are 0 and the rest of the channels are 1. Ah well . If only they could make a 5c compliant PC device...

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #363 of 6031 Old 09-23-2004, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by madpoet
...If only they could make a 5c compliant PC device...

I'm not sure people would really want one. The only way this would ever (legally) happen would be a secure, tamper-resistant PC that gives control over hard disk content to the movie studios (not you). See Microsoft "Palladium"...
post #364 of 6031 Old 09-23-2004, 10:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Eh, you might be surprised. But I'd settle for the ability to expand my 6412's storage somehow

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #365 of 6031 Old 09-23-2004, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Even one-time recordings via 5C to my JVC-30k wouldn't be so bad.... if I could just clean up the crud at the beginning and end, to make a nice neat tape....

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #366 of 6031 Old 09-24-2004, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

The modified meitape.inf file was an experiment, and if I remember correctly it turned out to not be necessary once Motorola fixed the 62xx firmware to support recording.

The standard meitape.inf file should work. Can someone please confirm?
post #367 of 6031 Old 09-25-2004, 02:05 PM

Just wanted to say that I got this workin on my Charter 6200 box and it only took about an hour. Woot!
post #368 of 6031 Old 09-25-2004, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
just recorded a football game in HD... so now i have a 38gb file lol.. but anyway... it's interlaced really really bad since it was broadcast in 1080i... is there any way to record in 720p... or de-interlace my video file ??
post #369 of 6031 Old 09-25-2004, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Any programs that will turn on/or change the channel on the 6208 rev 7.15?

Tim Huey

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
post #370 of 6031 Old 09-26-2004, 04:38 PM

There were some folks who were wondering if this works for Long Island Cablevision. It does and I didn't have to do anything special. The only thing that doesn't work is recording analog (2-99) channels. All the Digital and HD channels record. The SD channels play back fine (Video and Audio) on my Celeron 1.3GHz, but the HD stuff is chop city. I'm getting a new PC PIV 3.4Ghz this week so I'm hoping that can keep up with the 80 Mbps recordings of the HD stuff.
post #371 of 6031 Old 09-26-2004, 08:46 PM

Help me!
I'm having software or driver problems on the 6028 to PC hookup. I bought a firewire cable, worked fine, DCT6208 recognized.

DRIVERS
First, perhaps you can tell me if the drivers are working right. I don't see the 6028 HDD as a device under My Computer, or maybe it shouldn't be there.
Downloaded all software per AVS Forum instructions. Managed to get the 6208 recognized by two drivers in Device Drivers under Imaging devices. They are called Panasonic DVS AV/C Device and Tuner AV/C Device
Both have an unnamed driver from Matsushita Electoric Industorial (misspellings as indicated), apparently from the Meitape drivers.

SOFTWARE
Perhaps the drivers are working, when I unplug the firewire, the CapDVHS says No Device Connected. If so, here is where I'm at, software-wise.
The CapDVHS program acknowledges a device: Panasonic MPEG2TS Tape Sub

Then according to instructions, I do the following(AVS Forum instructions in quotes)
Select the Data Info.' tab and hit the Rec' Button
You should see the info populated.
This used to work fine, now I don't see the info being populated', though it keeps recording.
Hit stop and check your file.
I hit stop and while a file is stored, I cant get them to playback
Elecard works well for playback or Sasem OnAir Editor or VLC
I downloaded all three and none of them show anything to play
Also I can't get VLC to display the video feed on my computer, though it seems to recognize something.
Can you please explain what I might be doing wrong? It is so frustrating.
Finally, is there a way to just copy non-HD TV shows that I recorded on the 6208 hard disk (DVR) without all the streaming and HD compatibility that the AVS Forum instructions supposedly lead to?

post #372 of 6031 Old 09-27-2004, 06:19 AM

It took me an hour to figure out that the analog channels don't output anything over the firewire port. Try a digital channel? Of course, I'm probably the only person in this thread using a Sony DHG-M55CV STB.
post #373 of 6031 Old 09-27-2004, 09:04 AM

Thanks, I'll try it.
P.S. and FYI - Comcast, at least in L.A., is using Firmware 7.15 now. They don't give out support on copying despite the fact their sales people promote copying as a feature.
Not sure what 7.15 means in terms of copy protection and 5c yet, but I can't get capdvhs to work right yet.
post #374 of 6031 Old 09-27-2004, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Is anyone getting stutter-free live TV using VLC? I'm getting stuttering every few seconds on all Comcast HD channels.

Halstead York
Warning: Convergence in progress - technology, creativity & media, and where the twain shall meet.
post #375 of 6031 Old 09-27-2004, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Thanks for the guide! up and running/recording in only 10 minutes!!

More Setup Pix / Pix of Setup
Hardware - Sony XL3: Win7sp1 x64 / Q6700 CPU / 120GB SSD (OS) / 2x2TB TV / 8GB Ram / Radeon HD 7700LP / Ceton ETH6 Tuner

Extenders: 3x Xbox360's, 2x Roku 3's

Software: MediaBrowser / MyChannelLogosXL / RecordedTV HD / Plex

post #376 of 6031 Old 09-27-2004, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Be sure to try and pause the feed for a few seconds, then playing it. That should cure any stutters.

post #377 of 6031 Old 09-28-2004, 01:51 PM
DFA
Advanced Member

I've been playing with the firewire from SA 3250HD to my HTPC a little bit. I've been using VLC to try and get "live" viewing working. The audio is OK but the video is a "slide show". About 1 or 2 frames per second and consistant. I do not think of this as "stuttering" since to my way of thinking stuttering are missed frames out of a normal frame rate flow. CPU consumption is only around 10%.

Anyone else run into the "slide show" thing and know the fix?

DFA

Wrong information is worse than no information.
post #378 of 6031 Old 09-28-2004, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
I'm noticing this as well with 1080i content. I have a pretty beefy system (p4 3.4ghz, 5900 Vid Card, 1 gig ddr 500mhz mem).

720p content seems to run pretty good, but 1080i is hosed.

I'm running default setting on VLC.

More Setup Pix / Pix of Setup
Hardware - Sony XL3: Win7sp1 x64 / Q6700 CPU / 120GB SSD (OS) / 2x2TB TV / 8GB Ram / Radeon HD 7700LP / Ceton ETH6 Tuner

Extenders: 3x Xbox360's, 2x Roku 3's

Software: MediaBrowser / MyChannelLogosXL / RecordedTV HD / Plex

post #379 of 6031 Old 09-28-2004, 02:41 PM
DFA
Advanced Member

NIzZ8:

OK, good to know I'm not alone. I also let VLC run "default". What I had been looking at so far has been 1080i. I will try 720p and see how I compare with your results. I only have one (1) 720p channel (ABC) so would not be very encouraging for the long term to have only one viewable channel.

The good news for me is that EVERYTHING is CCI free. I live in a small town. When I asked for a 3250 with firewire, they said they had none. When I informed that they were supposed to be able to supply them on request, they found a small stash in a closet that had been purchased for that purpose and set aside (the 3250HD's being handed out to Joe Sixpack are sans firewire). I was informed that only one other person in my town had ever requested an STB with functional firewire.

They are not yet concerned about setting flags I guess since they know of only two jokers in the whole network messing with firewire. Probably want to toy with us. In the meantime, would be nice to get this working for real, everyday usage.

DFA

Wrong information is worse than no information.
post #380 of 6031 Old 10-02-2004, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

So, I've got four recordings, but nothing I've got can play them back. My DVHSCap settings are as per the original post, but nothing, and I mean nothing, will play them:

- ForceWare MultiMedia 4 crashes (it can play OTA transport streams without a hitch)
- Sasem Editor can open them, but it won't play them
- VLC is also a no-go

My guess is that my MSO is encrypting everything, but that shouldn't really matter from a FireWire standpoint, right? If the "copy never" flag is set, then nothing should come out of the FW port (making sure I'm following this). If "copy once" is set, then I should get some data on my PC, but with the stream still being encrypted? Basically, I think I'm out of luck when it comes to using a PC for this.

I'm using a Moto 6200, if that's relevant.

Thanks!

Bill
post #381 of 6031 Old 10-03-2004, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by balazer
The modified meitape.inf file was an experiment, and if I remember correctly it turned out to not be necessary once Motorola fixed the 62xx firmware to support recording.

The standard meitape.inf file should work. Can someone please confirm?

After months of followingthis thread and just getting around to trying it out I am similarly confused.

The link to the meitape.inf file in the first thread remains broken; the modified file is apparently contained in the zip mirrored on the fourth page or so but its hard to tell if its a file that has been hacked for the 6208

And then the point above that perhaps nothing else is needed for we Motorola 6208 types with the later firmware

Can someone please confirm the correct file to use please?

Thanks

Edit - I just installed it and got it working in a little over an hour (I am slower than some others)

Didn't copy any files over but can't be sure if the time I was successful I was pointing to the files from the first thread(I believe this is the case) or those I got from the mirror.

Now if I can only figure out why ff and reverse don't work (but pause does) when playing the recorded file back with MyHd!

Seriously - thanks for putting it together for people like me.
post #382 of 6031 Old 10-04-2004, 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by RalphArch

Now if I can only figure out why ff and reverse don't work (but pause does) when playing the recorded file back with MyHd!

Check out this post for more info on this subject.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...25#post4419725

--Eric
post #383 of 6031 Old 10-04-2004, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Eric - you provided a fix for a problem I didn't even know I had as I had only recorded a couple minutes of an HD show to test it out.

Now off to get the necessary software to make the files proper ATSC for the MyHD playback
post #384 of 6031 Old 10-04-2004, 08:56 PM

I am able to record non-HD content to my PC wonderfully. Whenever I try to use HDTVtoMPEG to convert to MPEG for DVD burning it looks like it works, but the file has no sound or image, or if I do get an image it is just a grey screen. Has anyone else run into this?
post #385 of 6031 Old 10-05-2004, 04:37 PM

When I go to choose the driver after de-selecting "show compatiable hardware" I scroll down to Panasonic but "Panasonic D-VHS AV/C device" is not an available choice. The closest I can find is "Panasonic AV/C tape recorder/player" or something close to that, I don't remember. Tried that anyway but Cap DVHS cannot find a capture device.

Any ideas? Running XP Home, SP2

Thanks!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

Now what'd I do wrong......
post #386 of 6031 Old 10-06-2004, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

I've read this thread with greater interest as my cable company is providing me a 6208 to beta test starting tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what the firmware version is and how 5C is set. This is a small local cable company that has been providing three network channels in HD via 8-VSB for free. I've been picking them up via a Zenith HD Sat520.

I'm curious as to what is a typical subscription rate is for the 6208 with 4 major networks, HDNet, HDnet Movies, Discovery HD Theater, and HBO-HD?

I know I should probably start another thread with this question, but with this being such an active thread I thought I could get a rapid response.

Thanks,
Tom
post #387 of 6031 Old 10-11-2004, 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by az886502
Hi,

I live in Pittsburgh, PA 15213. I just had the motorola DCT 6200 installed today. I have followed the top post to install the driver with no problem. But that's it.

For CapDVHS, after following the setup steps, when I click 'Rec.', a pop up window of 'Error 80040217: Cannot connect SampleGrabber' showed up.

I am getting this error as well, I noticed you said you fixed it, but you did not say how. Can your please pass on these vitals?

thanks,
dev*
post #388 of 6031 Old 10-15-2004, 08:31 PM

Unfortunatley for me my wife has cut off my spending allowance. I hope some of you can feel my pain.

My problem is that my Mits ws65869 has an integrated HD tuner that is able to pick up HD broadcasts OTA and the picture is great but there is *no audio*. I am about 100% sure that the audio problem is a defect in my Mits internal HD tuner (it was working fine before and suddenly went bad).

Anyways, my question is this. If I use the firewire port on my Mits set to feed the HD signal to my PC is there a way to listen to *just the audio*??? I don't want to max the cpu recording HD, I just want to hear some audio now!

I guess I am just venting. I don't even have the moolah to buy a firewire cable right now .

Anyways, this is a great HOWTO. Thanks for the clear directions!
post #389 of 6031 Old 10-16-2004, 04:50 PM

I'm not sure if this has been covered or not, since I lost track of this thread over time, but forgive me if it has.

I setup a shortcut to run VLC with the parms for picking up the stream automatically.

Target:

"C:\\Program Files\\VideoLAN\\VLC\\vlc.exe" "dshow:// :dshow-vdev="Panasonic MPEG2TS Tape Subunit Device" :dshow-adev="" :dshow-size="" :no-dshow-config "

Start In:

"C:\\Program Files\\VideoLAN\\VLC"

It works great.

Also, my feed sometimes stutters on 1080i with the default deinterlacing on. After the shortcut runs and immediately pops the cable box feed to full screen, I switch deinterlace from "Bob" to "disable". Stutters are gone.

Unfortunately, VLC doesn't have a documented switch for "disable" yet. Please let me know if anyone has found one.

EJ

"The existence of a hobby, by definition, precludes sensicality."
post #390 of 6031 Old 10-16-2004, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Attached is the core drivers file.

meidvhs.zip 48.5546875k . file

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?