How to record via IEEE 1394 (Firewire) to Windows XP - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 6043 Old 10-17-2004, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
is there a mirror for the modified meitape? The link seems to be down

"Ohhh, its red wire to red wire. Pfft, what idiot dreamed that up?" -Homer Simpson (installing Satellite)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 6043 Old 10-18-2004, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I searched through this thread to try to find a definitive answer, but Im not sure I found it. With a QAM tuner, I can only record unencrypted QAM channels...if I use Firewire from my STB to my PC, am I still limited to unecrypted channels? For me ESPNHD is encrypted, and Id really like to find some way I can record it, as my Wolfpack is finally playing in a game broadcast in high-def this Saturday.
post #393 of 6043 Old 10-18-2004, 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by thomasamiller
Unfortunatley for me my wife has cut off my spending allowance. I hope some of you can feel my pain.

My problem is that my Mits ws65869 has an integrated HD tuner that is able to pick up HD broadcasts OTA and the picture is great but there is *no audio*. I am about 100% sure that the audio problem is a defect in my Mits internal HD tuner (it was working fine before and suddenly went bad).

Anyways, my question is this. If I use the firewire port on my Mits set to feed the HD signal to my PC is there a way to listen to *just the audio*??? I don't want to max the cpu recording HD, I just want to hear some audio now!

I guess I am just venting. I don't even have the moolah to buy a firewire cable right now .

Anyways, this is a great HOWTO. Thanks for the clear directions!

I have the same TV only 55 inch. Have tried reseting it. Get a paperclip and with the TV on press in the reset button on the front. It will turn off and the green light will flash next to the power button for a minute or so. When it stops blinking turn it back on. This may fix your problem.

Otherwise send an email to Mits asking for a software update and they will send you a flash card. This may fix it as well.
post #394 of 6043 Old 10-18-2004, 05:44 PM

Thanks for clear instructions on how to get my PC to record 6208 data streams. The whole reason I went to this site was to find out how to copy files off of the 6208 to my firewire connected PC. I have some shows I'd like to archive to my PC and free some space on the 6208. Is there a way to do that? If it's mentioned in this thread, my apology for not finding it in my review of the various threads.

Cease
post #395 of 6043 Old 10-18-2004, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Jason Pastore
is there a mirror for the modified meitape? The link seems to be down

Are you sure you need it? I didn't think at of the 6208 had the old firmware anymore.

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
Engadget HD
post #396 of 6043 Old 10-18-2004, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ENDContra
I searched through this thread to try to find a definitive answer, but Im not sure I found it. With a QAM tuner, I can only record unencrypted QAM channels...if I use Firewire from my STB to my PC, am I still limited to unecrypted channels?

It only works for un-encrypted programming. Even if it were possible we couldn't discuse it here.

Ben
Engadget HD
post #397 of 6043 Old 10-18-2004, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

bdraw, this may have already been answered here. If so, I apologize for asking it again. When, and if, Motorola provides the firmware (as they say they will next year) to add an external drive to increase the DVR capacity of the 6208 (&6214) via the Firewire interface, will you only be able to record unencrypted program content? If so, then it really isn't an extension of the hard drive in the unit, is it. What do you know and/or what do you think?

Tom
post #398 of 6043 Old 10-18-2004, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ENDContra
I searched through this thread to try to find a definitive answer, but Im not sure I found it. With a QAM tuner, I can only record unencrypted QAM channels...if I use Firewire from my STB to my PC, am I still limited to unecrypted channels? For me ESPNHD is encrypted, and Id really like to find some way I can record it, as my Wolfpack is finally playing in a game broadcast in high-def this Saturday.

You CAN NOT record encrypted material via firewire to a PC. You CAN record encrypted material via firewire to a 5C-compliant device - which means mainly D-VHS tape decks like the JVC 30K/40K.
post #399 of 6043 Old 10-18-2004, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by tomrhyne
bdraw, this may have already been answered here. If so, I apologize for asking it again. When, and if, Motorola provides the firmware (as they say they will next year) to add an external drive to increase the DVR capacity of the 6208 (&6214) via the Firewire interface, will you only be able to record unencrypted program content? If so, then it really isn't an extension of the hard drive in the unit, is it. What do you know and/or what do you think?

Tom
<><

I don't think anyone really knows, except maybe the developers at Motorola trying to figure out how in the heck to implement this. The only way I think they would ever allow this is if they could ENSURE that data on the external drive is securely encrypted and can't be used on a PC.
post #400 of 6043 Old 10-18-2004, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

jimre, thanks for your prompt reply. It is going to be interesting to see if they can come through with what they have advertised.

I should know this, but I don't. Here is my assumption. Correct me if I'm wrong. (Boy, I didn't really have to say that, did I?) I assume you can record to D-VHS encrypted program content via Firewire. I believe we still have the right to at least record once. If this is correct, then what prevents one from off loading a D-VHS to a PC? I'm probably showing my ignorance on this subject here; so be easy on me!

Tom
post #401 of 6043 Old 10-18-2004, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by tomrhyne
jimre, thanks for your prompt reply. It is going to be interesting to see if they can come through with what they have advertised.

I should know this, but I don't. Here is my assumption. Correct me if I'm wrong. (Boy, I didn't really have to say that, did I?) I assume you can record to D-VHS encrypted program content via Firewire. I believe we still have the right to at least record once. If this is correct, then what prevents one from off loading a D-VHS to a PC? I'm probably showing my ignorance on this subject here; so be easy on me!

Tom
<><

The D-VHS deck will prohibit offloading "copy-once" encrypted content to a PC (or anything else except maybe a display). Content flagged "copy-freely" can be copied from the tape to PC, no problem.

That's what it means to be 5C-compliant - the device dutifully obeys all copy-restriction flags and can't be easily hacked (unlike a PC). In return, the device is equipped with secret keys that can decrypt protected content.
post #402 of 6043 Old 10-19-2004, 01:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the info jimre...I very much disagree with the decision that was made to make ESPNHD "copy-once". If I could go out and buy a DVD of a particular game broadcast, Id do it in a minute...but since thatll never happen, I dont see why I cant be allowed to record it myself.
post #403 of 6043 Old 10-19-2004, 06:10 AM

My hat is off to Ben too! Great post!!

Here's my current status,... I now can capture directly from my HD/DVR set top box to my XP notebook via 1394.

What I would like to be able to do ultimately is be able to leave that notebook teathered to my home theater (down in the basement) and be able to remotely (over my home lan using either Remote Desktop or Netmeeting) control not only the capture function but also the channel settings, etc, over the 1394 i/f.

When I hot plugged into one of the 6208's 1394 ports (there are two on the back of my unit) the pnp sw finds not only the tape transport unit, but also an AV control panel.

Is anyone aware of the existence of an XP compatible driver that will enumerate and configure the AV control panel, and also an XP compatible app that can be used to control the front panel?

Your help is GREATLY appreciated.

And thanks again to Ben for his empowering iniital posts.

Regards,
Gary
Acton, MA
post #404 of 6043 Old 10-19-2004, 07:02 AM

I finally got the firmware on our 3250HD ungraded to support 1394, but when I plug it into a firewire equipped PC, the PC is still not "seeing" new hardware. I'm hoping someone here can help me out or point me in the right direction.

First of all, for those that have set up similar configurations, did you have to do anything special to the 1394 setup on the PC (it looks fine under Device Manager)?

My 3250HD configuration is as follows:
ROM Image: 1.56.5.1
Firebus: 2.5.7.1

Two issues on the 3250's configuration pages that I wonder about:

On page 14 under "Software Anomalies", I have the message:

"Warning! 960101.00.00 [SARA Main] @ba1394.c:536 (i1394_Get returned - 0x4401)"

On page 19 (1394 page) , most of the items show "unavailable".

Could someone who has a similar setup check those pages and tell me how far off my settings are?

BTW, in case it matters, my cable supplier is Cox in Northern Virginia.

Any help someone can provide would be greatly appreciated. I'm really looking forward to trying what everyone has described here.

TIA,

Craig
post #405 of 6043 Old 10-20-2004, 02:44 AM

just in case people still want/need it, i attached the modified Meitape.inf file. Dunno if it's still necessary, but I could only find it at one place on the web (some random forum) and wanted to mirror it here.

Can someone confirm if this is still needed? I have firmware 7.15 on the 6208 box.

I'm gonna give this a shot pretty soon, thanks for the great thread!

meitape-620x.zip 3.25k . file
post #406 of 6043 Old 10-20-2004, 11:34 AM
DFA
Advanced Member

Hi all:

Got some fundamental Q's. I'm new to dealing with TS stuff and admit my ignorance. I have been playing around with the firewire output from my SA3250HD STB into my HTPC. My STB is Sara based. Everything is free and clear from my provider.

I have a total of 6 HD channels: 4 are "network" type and 2 are HBO. The 4 "network" type are ABC, NBC, Discovery, and the other I can't remember off hand.

CapDVHS reports the bit rates for the 4 "network" channels at 80 Mbps while CapDVHS reports the 2 HBO HD streams at 13 - 14 Mbps.

I can use VLC to directly view (Live TV) the 2 HBO HD channels with no problem. Not so for the "network" channels at 80 Mbps. Super stutter garbage with just glimpses of video and snips of audio.

The 80 Mbps stream is carrying a bunch of additional content that most is not of interest I'm guessing. I imagine that there is a 13 - 14 Mbps component stream of interest contained within the 80 Mbps stream. Whether viewing directly (Live TV) or recording, it seems that it would be desirable / necessary to split out the content of interest, i.e. the HD video and accompanying audio.

My question is can this be done upfront before recording or decoding for direct view? Forgive my lameness but this just seems what one would want to do if for no other reason than recording disk space efficiency.

Provide a clue to the clueless.

DFA

Wrong information is worse than no information.
post #407 of 6043 Old 10-20-2004, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You can use HDTVtoMPEG2 to extract the stream you want.
Make sure you use v1.10b

Ben
Engadget HD
post #408 of 6043 Old 10-20-2004, 05:49 PM
DFA
Advanced Member

Thanks so very much. However, this looks like an "after-the-fact" tool. I was wondering if there was something that would filter out all the sub-channels, etc. of the stream in real time. Perhaps something like "nullpacketstripper" although I don't think this works real time either.

DFA

post #409 of 6043 Old 10-21-2004, 05:43 AM

I am (obviously!) a new member here, and just wanted to say thank you for this thread. Had it up and working after 15 minutes or so.

6208 @ 7.15, Insight Cable in Columbus OH.

HBO, Cinemax and a few others are protected here, it seems, while the local PBS HD channel allows recording. Fantastic picture.

I had a crazy thought. Since the Cable HD tuner by nature HAS to decode the stream before sending it to the television, how about a set of custom cables that splits the output? One to the TV, one to the PC?

Anyone seen or done this?

O
----------------------------------
Vidi Vici Veni
post #410 of 6043 Old 10-21-2004, 07:45 AM
DFA
Advanced Member

Oicu812:

Welcome aboard.

What STB output are you considering for this?

The component output is analog (though good quality and HD) but has too high a data rate to be taken into the PC. We are all waiting for a PCI card that will take HD component input and compress it (encode) in hardware for storage and playback.

The DVI output: I have yet to see a DVI input on a PC and data rate is again a problem not to mention HDCP.

That leaves S-Video which a lot of us are doing but this is low res (Std Def; SD) so no great shakes.

The only other way of getting HD content into the HTPC are ATSC OTA tuner cards like MyHD and unfortunately the BC (Broadcast Flag) is coming for that next year though currently being challenged in court.

This firewire link offers the only way to get compressed, digital HD from the STB to PC but has the DTCP (Digital Transmission Content Protection) ax hanging over it. Sadly for this reason, it is doubtful that this will be anything more than an experiment.

You can thank our esteemed legislators for all this BS.

EDIT: I should say "affordable" PCI card with HD component input. There are some professional very high dollar cards that can take HD component input. You will find some affordable cards that take component input but if you read the fine print you will find they are limited to SD resolutions such as Holo3D. Check this thread for some intitial excitement due to some false claims made by the marketing writers of this product with regard to the component input: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=s3+chrome. The thread will now sink into oblivion since the truth is now apparent (no HD).

DFA

post #411 of 6043 Old 10-21-2004, 01:17 PM

i have comcast with Mot 6200 high def box with 7.15. i have it hooked up to my dell through firewire. i went through the install process, cancelling all automatic attempts. then i went back and under device manager intalled the drivers from the original post for the a/v device. now it shows up under my imaging devices as a TUNER AV/C Device. i try to use sagetv to see if it will pull it up as a source and it won't. where do i go from here?
thanks
sluri
also when i try to use d-vhs app, i get a capture device not found...
post #412 of 6043 Old 10-21-2004, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Related to recording on the PC is: playing back on the PC, and perhaps recording on another device.

Is it possible to play back a TS stream on a WinXP machine and record it to a D-VHS VCR via Firewire?

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #413 of 6043 Old 10-21-2004, 03:27 PM

sluri

If it's any consolation I have more or less the same problem. I progress through the install process but when it comes to selecting "Panasonic D-VHS AV/C device" I can't because it isn't in my list of choices! And yes, "show compatible devices" is un-checked. Running XP Home SP2, no idea why I wouldn't have the same choices as everyone else! I do see "Panasonic AV/C tape recorder/player" and just for grins have tried installing that but Cap D-VHS cannot find a capture device.

Soooo a dumb question........How the heck do I get "Panasonic D-VHS AV/C device" to show up in the installer as a choice?????

Somebody please enlighten me.

10/25/04 - A very serious "DOH" occurence here! So serious I doubt my competency to accomplish anything more technical then replacing a power cord from this point forward.

All is working well now thanks to all.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

Now what'd I do wrong......
post #414 of 6043 Old 10-21-2004, 05:35 PM
DFA
Advanced Member

Sluri and Muddlin'Thru:

I am no expert at this, but it is true that you must see "Panasonic D-VHS AV/C device" as the choice. As I recall, I installed the tuner and something else but turned around and removed everything and started over. I do not have a tuner driver installed as I recall. Just the tape subunit.

Not at my machine so can't say but try without installing any tuner. I have a total of three PNP things I disabled in device manager: two "unknowns" and the tuner as I recall.

EDIT: It is "AV/C Panel" that is not installed and disabled in Device Manager in addition to the two "unknown"s for what that info is worth. This is under the "Other devices" tab. "Panasonic D-VHS AV/C device" will show under "Imaging devices". meistrm.sys and meitape.sys are the only two Matsushita drivers I have installed and running.

DFA

post #415 of 6043 Old 10-21-2004, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by nathan_h
Is it possible to play back a TS stream on a WinXP machine and record it to a D-VHS VCR via Firewire?

Yes use DVHSTool

Ben
Engadget HD
post #416 of 6043 Old 10-22-2004, 02:54 PM

You guys Friggin ROCK!!!

Took me 15 minutes and I'm recording my Hi-Def channels (Those that are non-5C) and everything else!!

This is PIMP.

I've got Comcast w/motorola DCT6200
Firewire to Dell D800

Now I need to know this.

I want to use a HTPC front end that will allow me to use this imaging device as my video feed, and control channel changing via IrBlaster.

I currently use SnapStream BeyondTV. I don't care about recording and watching different channels. I will mainly use this for watching TV and recording shows when I'm out.

P.S- i've also noticed the sound is kind've low. Anyway to bring up the volume at the source?

YEAAAAAHHHH!!!

-JB
post #417 of 6043 Old 10-24-2004, 08:47 AM

Sluri and Muddlin'Thru:

I had the same problem untill i downloaded the right
Meituner.inf file. I saw a link earlier in this thread to
another link to it since the one at the beginning stopped
working. Once you get that inf file replaced i'd uninstall the
drivers and restart and then do it again from the begenning
like bdraw posted. :-)

Hey does anyone know of an app to copy the shows you
have recorded? or can we only do live video from the motorola
62xx series? Thanks

~BRaden~!
post #418 of 6043 Old 10-24-2004, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

Originally posted by bdraw
Yes use DVHSTool

Thanks! Yes, it works like a charm, right down to chaining three TS files back together in my specified order.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #419 of 6043 Old 10-25-2004, 03:17 AM

Well, I've got it working on comcast motorola 6208 box v7.15.

Note - I used the modified meitape.inf file (I reposted it several posts above this one.) That got me the required entries in the installation box - to those above me who couldn't find them, maybe that's your problem? dunno, I didn't try it with the original file.

Some of the channels don't work at all - the boxes aren't populated when I hit Record in the D-VHS Cap program. I assume those are the 5C-ed channels. Some of them do work though, which is neat.

Thanks for the guide!
post #420 of 6043 Old 10-25-2004, 03:39 AM

Well, it seems my previous post wasn't entirely correct -

I can sporadically record from HD channels. Sometimes, I will get the info filled in on D-VHS Cap.

-If the info doesn't fill in, the file won't open at all. (on any given channel, the info may or may not get filled in.)
-If the info fills in, and it's a local channel, the recording works.
-If the info fills in, and it's a non-broadcast channel (movie channels, etc) then the recording will play in full quality for about 4-5 seconds, then freeze. VLC's progress bar runs through the rest of the file really quickly and then closes the video.

Are they copy-protected or is this a problem with my setup? How do I tell if a channel has 5C info?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page