How to record via IEEE 1394 (Firewire) to Windows XP - Page 153 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4561 of 6031 Old 05-27-2008, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have the same problem jazyjeff has. I have an SA 4250HDC box. The firewire port is active, but the pics I get are very pixelated and choppy. I recorded some samples using vlc. I tried running them through Video REDO but I still had lots of macroblocks in the pic even after quickstream cleaned up 475 errors. Is the 4250 a crappy box to capture from, or am I missing some configuration setting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4562 of 6031 Old 05-27-2008, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I figured it out.

If you set up a timer recording and put two periods at the end of the file name, the resulting output file will have this format:

file.0001.ts

If you set up multiple recordings a second apart, the files will output like this:

file.0001.ts
file.0002.ts
file.0003.ts

These files can be played in MyHD or Theatertek and they will be auto-joined. If you set up 5 minute chunks, you can start watching after the first two files are recorded. The only drawback is a slight blocking as it transitions from one file to another and for a three hour program, you would need to set up 36@5 minute recordings.

I will mainly use this for Monday Night Football.
post #4563 of 6031 Old 05-27-2008, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billqs View Post

I have the same problem jazyjeff has. I have an SA 4250HDC box. The firewire port is active, but the pics I get are very pixelated and choppy. I recorded some samples using vlc. I tried running them through Video REDO but I still had lots of macroblocks in the pic even after quickstream cleaned up 475 errors. Is the 4250 a crappy box to capture from, or am I missing some configuration setting?

All the SA boxes suck for recording via Firewire.
post #4564 of 6031 Old 05-27-2008, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanson View Post

I figured it out.

If you set up a timer recording and put two periods at the end of the file name, the resulting output file will have this format:

file.0001.ts

If you set up multiple recordings a second apart, the files will output like this:

file.0001.ts
file.0002.ts
file.0003.ts

These files can be played in MyHD or Theatertek and they will be auto-joined. If you set up 5 minute chunks, you can start watching after the first two files are recorded. The only drawback is a slight blocking as it transitions from one file to another and for a three hour program, you would need to set up 36@5 minute recordings.

I will mainly use this for Monday Night Football.

Couldn't you just use DCTRecord? It natively supports file splitting. Unfortunately, it's hardcoded to look for the device name from the original meidvhs drivers. Perhaps someone with the knowledge can take a few minutes and update the source code so it works with any device supported in timmmoore's driver pack and compile a new binary for everyone to use?
post #4565 of 6031 Old 05-27-2008, 07:18 PM

This seem worthwhile if the programs can be recorded onto HD in faster than real time. This may have been asked before but I'm hoping that Capdvhs, DCTrecord transfer the data over firewire quickly. Thanks in advance.
post #4566 of 6031 Old 05-28-2008, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

Couldn't you just use DCTRecord? It natively supports file splitting. Unfortunately, it's hardcoded to look for the device name from the original meidvhs drivers. Perhaps someone with the knowledge can take a few minutes and update the source code so it works with any device supported in timmmoore's driver pack and compile a new binary for everyone to use?

Actually, DTCRecord would be the optimal solution, but I can't get it to work because I'm not using MCE (XP Pro) and I'm not using the medivhs drivers.

I forgot that I had struggled with DTCRecord and gave up on it.
post #4567 of 6031 Old 05-28-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:

Is there any way to have CapDVHS put that "." there? Doing so would allow me to watch the program as it records

I am guessing that the reason for this is that CapDVHS is locking the file during recording, right? You could try GrafCorder, I am not sure if the file gets locked or not...
post #4568 of 6031 Old 05-28-2008, 06:41 PM

The GrafCorder thread made my head hurt

Yes, CapDVHS locks the file so it can't be played. If anyone can confirm that the GrafCorder output can be played as it records, I will attempt to understand how it works.
post #4569 of 6031 Old 05-30-2008, 05:04 AM
SOM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I been successfully recording from my Comcast STB to my PC with CapDVHS since 2004 but for some reason I after I redid my Harddrive I am now unable to record to my PC. Does it matter if when I first connect my firewire cable to run through the setup process the Motorola box shows up before the found new hardware wizard pops up? If this doesn't happen does that mean it is not seeing my STB? When I setup and tried to record with CapDVHS it had an issue and said it could not start the capture. Is there a way to make sure my STB and my computer are properly seeing each other?

I appreciate the help.

SOM
post #4570 of 6031 Old 05-31-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:

The GrafCorder thread made my head hurt

The summary is that you use GraphEdt to create a filter graph, which dump to a file the output from your Firewire Tuner. Then that grf file, the filename of your recording and the stop time are the parameters for GrafCorder...
post #4571 of 6031 Old 06-03-2008, 05:48 AM

yes everything points to the crappy SA box. I use WoW / Wide Open West in the Detroit area and i only have other choices for cable thats Comcast and ATT U-Verse. Is the box provide by Comcast or ATT any better? Do they use Moto box? WoW is way behind on every thing imo on there channel line up. i hate to change back to Comcast as there internet stinks from what i here as far as torrent file throttling.
post #4572 of 6031 Old 06-03-2008, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Comcast uses Moto boxes in most areas, and those are a lot more Firewire-friendly. Uverse uses MPEG4 and custom IPTV boxes and can't be recorded to a PC in digital format AFAIK.
post #4573 of 6031 Old 06-04-2008, 08:23 PM

Tried doing a search for this problem but didnt find an answer.

I have a DCT6208 and CAPDVHS will capture SD recorded programs fine, but the HD ones will only capture the first 1 or 2 seconds. Based on the file size it looks like it's capturing the entire clip, but when i playback in Media Player Classic or VLC i get the 1 second of playback then it quits.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
post #4574 of 6031 Old 06-06-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM View Post

I been successfully recording from my Comcast STB to my PC with CapDVHS since 2004 but for some reason I after I redid my Harddrive I am now unable to record to my PC. Does it matter if when I first connect my firewire cable to run through the setup process the Motorola box shows up before the found new hardware wizard pops up? If this doesn't happen does that mean it is not seeing my STB? When I setup and tried to record with CapDVHS it had an issue and said it could not start the capture. Is there a way to make sure my STB and my computer are properly seeing each other?

I appreciate the help.

SOM

Have you run the firewire patch?
post #4575 of 6031 Old 06-06-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonceur View Post

I am guessing that the reason for this is that CapDVHS is locking the file during recording, right?

I found out that the stream dump function in VLC Player does not lock during recording. I can play the file in MPC or Theatertek! Awesome! Except...

The point that I start watching becomes the end of the file -- ie, if I start watching 15 minutes into the recording, the player stops at the 15 minute mark. I could keep restarting the file, but that's a bit cumbersome.

Is there any media player that will keep playing until the file is actually finished recording? I could really make this very Tivo-like for clear QAM channels.
post #4576 of 6031 Old 06-08-2008, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

Comcast uses Moto boxes in most areas, and those are a lot more Firewire-friendly. Uverse uses MPEG4 and custom IPTV boxes and can't be recorded to a PC in digital format AFAIK.

From personal experience, Comcast's blocking of torrents is atrocious! And, they won't make any changes until next year (assuming they're not lying about that, considering that they lied about torrent blocking until respected publications came forwards with proof).

Quote:

I found out that the stream dump function in VLC Player does not lock during recording. I can play the file in MPC or Theatertek! Awesome! Except...

The point that I start watching becomes the end of the file -- ie, if I start watching 15 minutes into the recording, the player stops at the 15 minute mark. I could keep restarting the file, but that's a bit cumbersome.

Is there any media player that will keep playing until the file is actually finished recording? I could really make this very Tivo-like for clear QAM channels.

Have you tried post processing the file in VideoRedo (just load it and save it as an mpg in the same subdir) or Project X (save it as a TS)?
post #4577 of 6031 Old 06-10-2008, 11:42 AM

Has anyone made or found drivers which will work from a Motorola DCH3416 on Windows Vista x64? Vista does not like the drivers from http://home.comcast.net/~exdeus/stbfirewire/.

EDIT: Well I got access to a Windows Vista x32 machine today but didn't have any luck with Vista Media Center or CapDVHS. Has anyone had success with the DCH3416 either using CapDVHS or watching live in Media Center?
post #4578 of 6031 Old 06-12-2008, 07:40 PM

Yeah...works just fine...the show your trying to record might have a no copy flag on it...
post #4579 of 6031 Old 06-13-2008, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ven0r View Post

Tried doing a search for this problem but didnt find an answer.

I have a DCT6208 and CAPDVHS will capture SD recorded programs fine, but the HD ones will only capture the first 1 or 2 seconds. Based on the file size it looks like it's capturing the entire clip, but when i playback in Media Player Classic or VLC i get the 1 second of playback then it quits.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

I have the exact same problem, what IEE1394 controller are you using? I'm thinking it may be that since the channel doesn't have 5C protection here, aslo i've tried in both Windows XP & Vista with no luck.
post #4580 of 6031 Old 06-15-2008, 03:20 PM

i'd also be interested in x64 drivers if they are out there or if there is 32-bit source code helping port it over
post #4581 of 6031 Old 06-15-2008, 03:28 PM

I'm more than a little suspicious of Vista itself since it takes DRM to new locked-down level even for things for which you have license. One of the reasons Mac alternative is so popular for multimedia.
post #4582 of 6031 Old 06-15-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasefx View Post

I have the exact same problem, what IEE1394 controller are you using? I'm thinking it may be that since the channel doesn't have 5C protection here, aslo i've tried in both Windows XP & Vista with no luck.

It's a integrated controller on my T61 Lenovo laptop. According to lenovo it's a LSI R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller.
post #4583 of 6031 Old 06-16-2008, 04:33 AM

everytime i try to record an hd channel CapDVHS just crashes, it works fine with analog channels but with hd it just crashes, any help?
post #4584 of 6031 Old 06-16-2008, 09:17 AM

I'v now managed to cap a bunch of channels in HD FOX, NBC, ABC, CBS,CTV (Canada), Global (Canada), and Discovery Channel. Others like omni (Canada) (FTA/OTA), TSN (Canadian ESPN), SportsNet (Same as previous) just cause CapDVHDS to crash. I find it odd that i can cap Discovery Channel which is a premium channel but not omni which is FTA and OTA? Any idea on how to fix thi or what's causing this? Thanks in advance
post #4585 of 6031 Old 06-23-2008, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Why does the initial post of this thread have

"This method does not allow you to transfer shows already recorded on your HD DVR only live TV." ?

Is this true for the newer drivers? I've been transferring already recorded shows for years using older drivers.
post #4586 of 6031 Old 06-23-2008, 08:33 PM

I've been having problems recording via firewire through my SA4250. I am able to install the drivers, and the firewire ports are active, but I can't get any HD channels. I checked and my HD channels had the 5c protection on them. I called my cable provider (Charter) and told them to remove it and they did. I checked again and there is no longer a 5c block on my channels. However, I sitll cannot record via firewire. The digital SD channels play alright, but there is pixelation from time to time. None of the HD channels work. I tried to watch through VLC to see if it works and it doesn't. Nothing shows up. I know nothing is wrong with my laptop's setup or hardware because I am able to record via firewire from my own apartment. However, I have a Motorola HD-DVR box there. Is it safe to just assume something is wrong with the SA box because it's an SA box? I read a couple of posts that said SA boxes are just bad in general with recording via firewire.

Karl: I'm not sure if it is. I am able to record shows off my DVR as well and I'm using newer ones.
post #4587 of 6031 Old 06-23-2008, 11:17 PM

In the settings tab in D-VHS only have the following checked:
Convert 188 bytes
Check PTS
Delete to SyncByte

Leave the rest unchecked
post #4588 of 6031 Old 06-24-2008, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucaw View Post

I've been having problems recording via firewire through my SA4250. I am able to install the drivers, and the firewire ports are active, but I can't get any HD channels. I checked and my HD channels had the 5c protection on them. I called my cable provider (Charter) and told them to remove it and they did. I checked again and there is no longer a 5c block on my channels. However, I sitll cannot record via firewire. The digital SD channels play alright, but there is pixelation from time to time. None of the HD channels work. I tried to watch through VLC to see if it works and it doesn't. Nothing shows up. I know nothing is wrong with my laptop's setup or hardware because I am able to record via firewire from my own apartment. However, I have a Motorola HD-DVR box there. Is it safe to just assume something is wrong with the SA box because it's an SA box? I read a couple of posts that said SA boxes are just bad in general with recording via firewire.

Karl: I'm not sure if it is. I am able to record shows off my DVR as well and I'm using newer ones.

Possibly this is true in MCE? I use Xp.
post #4589 of 6031 Old 06-24-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post

Why does the initial post of this thread have

"This method does not allow you to transfer shows already recorded on your HD DVR only live TV." ?

Well, for one thing some boxes are setup where indeed you can only record Live TV, while the DVR recordings are played back with protection. Then some boxes are the opposite way...

Or it might mean that you can't transfer the files normally like on a PC, and that you need to play them back, thus the "Live TV" term...
post #4590 of 6031 Old 06-24-2008, 08:11 PM

so would this work with Shaw HD PVR :http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsSer...ardware-HD.htm

or is there a new technique lol
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page