How to record via IEEE 1394 (Firewire) to Windows XP - Page 156 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4651 of 6046 Old 07-28-2008, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
sorry to jump in, but were vista 64-bit drivers ever created for this or is it on the back brner since most people don't have it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4652 of 6046 Old 07-28-2008, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
No x64 drivers exist.
post #4653 of 6046 Old 07-28-2008, 11:34 PM

I have been importing videos with Adobe Premiere Pro CS3, and the audio always seems to be out of sync. The audio track is usually longer than the video track as well. This is after capturing through CapVHS. Is it possible to fix this problem? It's really annoying.
post #4654 of 6046 Old 07-29-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocka2 View Post

My BD-RE disc will not playback without stuttering. I am cutting out commercials first with videoredo and saving the files as mpg then burning them with nero. What do you have to do so your videos play back from blu-ray without stuttering?

Is the studdering in the original stream capture or only after you encode with nero?

Did you try (as a test) to encode to a different format lets say divx.

When I capture I convert to divx in the HD profile of 1280x720. When I do 1920x1080 I can't play it back.

8300HD
sara 1.89.17.1
WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB SATA 3.0Gb/s
APRICORN EZ-BUS-DTS-EKIT Enclosure
post #4655 of 6046 Old 07-31-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobe4rings View Post

VLC caps the Channels but the mpegs streams are full of pixelations and are extremely choppy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizu View Post

This is after capturing through CapVHS. Is it possible to fix this problem?

You should both try to run your files through VideReDo first... It can't perform miracles, but it does clean up a lot...
post #4656 of 6046 Old 08-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
i just got a motorola dch-3200. would a 6-pin to 4-pin connector work? my laptop only has a 4-pin firewire port.
post #4657 of 6046 Old 08-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
It should, yes. The only difference is that the 6-pin connection carries power over it for the connected device (like a video camera for example). These cable boxes should not require that.

post #4658 of 6046 Old 08-11-2008, 09:26 PM

It works...that is what I have been using for years
post #4659 of 6046 Old 08-12-2008, 08:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle1014 View Post

when I open CapDVHS and try to begina recording I keep getting the same error message that reads: cannot open output file. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong,

Did you change your "filename"?

I either violated some CapDVHS rule about how that output filename should be named, or you just should not change it.

After having received the same error message you did (after I changed the YYMMDDHHNNSS default name to something "meaningful" to what I was creating), I put it back to the original value. And sure enough, the error message disappeared and I was able to create the .TS output.
post #4660 of 6046 Old 08-12-2008, 08:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Since there are over 4600 posts in this thread, forgive me if I'm about to say something that's already been stated. I did not read every post, and "search" was not all that useful.

I've seen this thread for years but never bothered to get into it until this week, when I had a very specific pair of needs:

(1) I had an edited .TS file on PC hard drive (created by a BeyondTV recording using my ATI TV Wonder 650 PCI card) that I wanted to write to my JVC D-VHS VCR (DT100U) via firewire, and

(2) I had a D-VHS recording (from NBC's Olympics, commercials removed, archived from Moto DCH-3416 to JVC D-VHS) that I wanted to copy from D-VHS to a .TS file on PC hard drive via firewire. This would then be converted to AVI (compressed with xVid) using VirtualDub (and the "smart progressive" filter, with direct stream audio) to send to someone who did not have a D-VHS VCR but wanted to see my recording.

In other words, I wanted to both (a) read from D-VHS and write to .TS on PC hard drive via firewire, and (b) read from .TS file on PC hard drive and write to D-VHS via firewire. No DVR is involved (other than to have created my D-VHS recording) in this pair of needs. My outboard device connected by firewire is a D-VHS VCR in my case, not a DVR.

And I'm simply wanting to report that by installing the firewire driver package pointed to in the first post of this thread which is described as pertaining to DVR/STB's, and not to D-VHS VCR's, and also by using CapDVHS, I was indeed able to accomplish both desired directions of read/write and my JVC D-VHS VCR!

MIRACULOUS!!!

In order to use VirtualDub, I first had to convert the TS file created by CapDVHS to an MPG (using VideoReDo). This produced an MPEG-2 file (1920x1080, AC3 DD5.1 audio) since that's what the D-VHS recording was.

And then I had to use the fccHandler MPEG-2 plug-in for VirtualDub 1.8+ in order to read the MPEG-2 file into VirtualDub (prior to learning I needed this plug-in, I got an error from VirtualDub complaining that the file was probably MPEG-2), so that I could compress it to an AVI.

Yes, the resulting high-quality AVI is large (I used target quant=2, resulting in an AVI about 1/2 the size of the .TS file) but it's definitely an AVI and playable by AVI players. But size is not an issue. Getting it from D-VHS into my PC and then into an AVI is the issue... and mission accomplished.

On the subject of read/write TO D-VHS, well amazingly that works to, using CapDVHS's "write to D-VHS" tab! Again... amazing! I simply had to set the JVC VCR to I-* and push record. The datastream was written via firewire by CapDVHS to the JVC and the result was exactly what I was hoping for.

NOTE: the recorded D-VHS content I was reading was from NBC OTA, so that 5C=copy always (carried forward in the original copy from DVR to D-VHS). I'm sure that's why I was further able to then copy it from D-VHS to my PC.

I haven't tried it yet, but I suspect I will not be able to be similarly successful trying to copy an HBO movie copied from DVR to D-VHS (which is allowed, via 5C=copy once) onto my PC from D-VHS. But I'm going to try it later, just to confirm that this won't work.

Very many thanks to the author of this thread.

WinXP Pro SP2.
post #4661 of 6046 Old 08-12-2008, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So, what am I missing about the Olympics broadcasts? They are able to be copied live however, when trying to take them from my DVR to my PC, it literally shuts down my box until I hit stop.

CAP DVHS will record the video (though it appears to not be playing on television) without any problem but the audio does not come through. What is causing this? I have a Motorola 6412 DVR with Comcast.
post #4662 of 6046 Old 08-12-2008, 10:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Legend View Post

So, what am I missing about the Olympics broadcasts? They are able to be copied live however, when trying to take them from my DVR to my PC, it literally shuts down my box until I hit stop.

I'm certainly no expert here, but there's a bold statement in the very first post that started this thread:

"This method does not allow you to transfer shows already recorded on your HD DVR only live TV."
post #4663 of 6046 Old 08-12-2008, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

I'm certainly no expert here, but there's a bold statement in the very first post that started this thread:

"This method does not allow you to transfer shows already recorded on your HD DVR only live TV."

Actually, I found the problem. It is with Comcast's latest firmware update. It is being resolved.

I've been able to transfer previously recorded HD programming from my DVR for years.
post #4664 of 6046 Old 08-13-2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

But this statement has been proven wrong by many people. Some can only record live, others only pre-recorded, the lucky ones get both, the unlucky ones get neither...
post #4665 of 6046 Old 08-13-2008, 02:26 AM

thanks for such a nice infornmation

Gracie Sh
post #4666 of 6046 Old 08-13-2008, 01:52 PM

So how would one find out if they can record saved programs on their dvr, just trial an error? And do they just appear as files in a folder on the PC? Also, I have a motorola DCT3412 I, so does that mean I'm out of luck with this process?
post #4667 of 6046 Old 08-13-2008, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
just got my 6-pin to 4-pin firewire cable from monoprice and everything is working great. i pretty much have no need for my fusion hdtv usb tuner anymore.
post #4668 of 6046 Old 08-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Hardcore how did you resolve the firmware update? I've been having the same problem and figured it had something to do with Comcast.
post #4669 of 6046 Old 08-13-2008, 08:25 PM

I've seen people ask this question several times before in this thread, but no one ever seems to get an answer out of anyone.

I've got the drivers installed on my system fine, the DVR tuner and panel show up correctly in the Device Manager. However, when I try to use CapDVHS, WinDV, or DVIO, I get errors. WinDV and DVIO report about not being able to find the "output pin", and CapDVHS reports "Error 80040217: Cannot connect SampleGrabber". Poking around in my DVR's diagnostics, the channels don't have 5C or anything of the sort enabled, so it's not that. Any clue what's going on? I'm wondering if it has to do with the 1394 ports being "enabled" but not "active"... although on the third page it does report a connected device on one port (which I assume is my computer), so it makes me wonder. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!

Below are my specs, as well as the appropriate diagnostic pages...

My computer
Windows XP32 SP2
AMD Phenom X4 9850BE
Asus M3N-HT mobo with onboard IEEE1394
4GB DDR2-800 (I dual-boot with Vista)
Asus Xonar D2X sound card with Dolby Digital & DTS support
36GB WD Raptor SATA as primary drive
External ~2TB RAID box via USB2.0

My DVR
Motorola DCH3416
160GB HD (82% full)
Firmware: 18.34
S/W Ver: 74.53 - 3321

d11 INTERFACE / PORT STATUS, p.1
Code:
INTERFACE/PORT STATUS

ENABLED  ACTIVE
DOCSIS                YES      NO
1394                  YES      NO
DVI/HDMI               NO      NO
ETHERNET              YES      NO
IR XMIT               YES     YES
SMART CARD             NO      NO
SPDIF                 YES     YES
RF BYPASS              NO      NO
USB                   YES      NO
HMA AUTHORIZED        YES     YES
MoCA AUTHORIZED        NO      NO
  Internal            YES      NO
  External            YES     YES
d11 INTERFACE / PORT STATUS, p.3
Code:
  ACTIVE PORTS:         1
  DATA XMISSION:        ACTIVE
  5C IMPLEMENTATION:    NO
  COPY CONTROL:         Copy Free
  CYCLE MASTER NODE:    YES
  IRM NODE:             YES
  ROOT NODE:            YES
  LOOP DETECTED :       NO

EUI-64: 0x001E46FFFE69EA38

CONNECTED DEVICES: 02
    DEVICE ID
    0x001E8C00013233B3
    0x001E46FFFE69EA38
    N/A
post #4670 of 6046 Old 08-13-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktor Jones View Post

I've seen people ask this question several times before in this thread, but no one ever seems to get an answer out of anyone.

Typically, it simply means that copy protection is indeed enabled, even though the diagnostic screens are saying the contrary...

Quote:

and CapDVHS reports "Error 80040217: Cannot connect SampleGrabber".

You could also try VLC or go back to the basic, by creating a graph in GraphEdit which simply dumps to a file (using a dump filter).
post #4671 of 6046 Old 08-13-2008, 10:30 PM

Well I'm trying to record NBC (local and cable channel 3), so it shouldn't have 5C or any similar flags enabled. When I try using VLC (open capture device > Motorola AV/C Tuner Device), nothing displays, but the timer down in the corner shows 3:25:25/0:00:00 and counting. If I close VLC and try again, the counter picks up as though I never stopped, so I'm wondering if there isn't some sort of communication going on...

What is all this "graph" stuff I've been reading about, and that you mention? While I may be very knowledgeable about computer hardware and software, A/V stuff (including computer-related A/V stuff) is very, very new to me
post #4672 of 6046 Old 08-13-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post

Hardcore how did you resolve the firmware update? I've been having the same problem and figured it had something to do with Comcast.

Quote:

This actually works as far as getting the audio to actually record onto your PC. It DOES NOT, however, make the picture visible on your TV while doing that.

For the PC:

Start recorded program a minute before desired start point on program
Press pause
Plug Firewire Cable in
Open CAPDVHS
Press REC
Press Play on DVR remote

You won't see anything on the TV screen but if you record the desired program for as long as you think you need to, you can stop it and check it. Unlike the other recordings, the 5.1 audio does exist this time.

I hope Comcast can get a firmware update out soon.

Then run it through MPEG2Repair to fix any audio PID problems.
post #4673 of 6046 Old 08-13-2008, 11:33 PM
Advanced Member

I use an iMac with AVCVideoCap to record from my Moto 6412 via firewire. It has worked fine for both live streams and DVR recordings for many months. But now Comcast pushed out the new program guide software update recently and I find that I am unable to capture DVR recordings (copy freely content). Live streams still are fine, but trying to capture from a recording on the DVR freezes the picture. I have to stop the capture to do anything on the DVR again. This is a major bummer. Any workaround?
post #4674 of 6046 Old 08-13-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo21 View Post

I use an iMac with AVCVideoCap to record from my Moto 6412 via firewire. It has worked fine for both live streams and DVR recordings for many months. But now Comcast pushed out the new program guide software update recently and I find that I am unable to capture DVR recordings (copy freely content). Live streams still are fine, but trying to capture from a recording on the DVR freezes the picture. I have to stop the capture to do anything on the DVR again. This is a major bummer. Any workaround?

Call them up and tell the according to federal law they need to have these channels copy free and firewire enabled.
post #4675 of 6046 Old 08-13-2008, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo21 View Post

read this thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1032148
I have a contact at comcast working on this issue (new firmware screwed things up) but he would like to hear from people what their problems are what box, what firmware you have, what state etc.
post #4676 of 6046 Old 08-14-2008, 05:39 AM

Quote:

I've got the drivers installed on my system fine, the DVR tuner and panel show up correctly in the Device Manager. However, when I try to use CapDVHS, WinDV, or DVIO, I get errors. WinDV and DVIO report about not being able to find the "output pin", and CapDVHS reports "Error 80040217: Cannot connect SampleGrabber". Poking around in my DVR's diagnostics, the channels don't have 5C or anything of the sort enabled, so it's not that. Any clue what's going on? I'm wondering if it has to do with the 1394 ports being "enabled" but not "active"... although on the third page it does report a connected device on one port (which I assume is my computer), so it makes me wonder. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!

Below are my specs, as well as the appropriate diagnostic pages...

My computer
Windows XP32 SP2
AMD Phenom X4 9850BE
Asus M3N-HT mobo with onboard IEEE1394
4GB DDR2-800 (I dual-boot with Vista)
Asus Xonar D2X sound card with Dolby Digital & DTS support
36GB WD Raptor SATA as primary drive
External ~2TB RAID box via USB2.0

My DVR
Motorola DCH3416
160GB HD (82% full)
Firmware: 18.34
S/W Ver: 74.53 - 3321

d11 INTERFACE / PORT STATUS, p.1
Code:
INTERFACE/PORT STATUS

ENABLED  ACTIVE
DOCSIS                YES      NO
1394                  YES      NO
DVI/HDMI               NO      NO
ETHERNET              YES      NO
IR XMIT               YES     YES
SMART CARD             NO      NO
SPDIF                 YES     YES
RF BYPASS              NO      NO
USB                   YES      NO
HMA AUTHORIZED        YES     YES
MoCA AUTHORIZED        NO      NO
  Internal            YES      NO
  External            YES     YES
d11 INTERFACE / PORT STATUS, p.3
Code:
  ACTIVE PORTS:         1
  DATA XMISSION:        ACTIVE
  5C IMPLEMENTATION:    NO
  COPY CONTROL:         Copy Free
  CYCLE MASTER NODE:    YES
  IRM NODE:             YES
  ROOT NODE:            YES
  LOOP DETECTED :       NO

EUI-64: 0x001E46FFFE69EA38

CONNECTED DEVICES: 02
    DEVICE ID
    0x001E8C00013233B3
    0x001E46FFFE69EA38
    N/A

...and the solution?

The drivers found at replayguide.sourceforge.net

I had updated to SP3, installed and/or updated .NET 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5, and run all the other Windows Updates... still nothing. I'd read somewhere else that someone had good luck with the drivers from the above site with their DCH-3416. On a lark, I went into the Device Manager and pulled up my DCH3416 tuner and panel. I right-clicked each and selected "Update Driver..." and went with all the manual settings (let me pick, don't search automatically, etc). I then specified the folder I'd downloaded the above drivers into, unchecked "show compatible hardware", and selected the DCT-6412 tuner and panel appropriately. I decided to go with the 6412 because AFAIK the only differences between it and the DCH-3416 are a lack of analog tuner and a larger hard drive in the 3416.

I crossed my fingers, fired up CapDVHS, and tried recording... no error!. One minute later (I'd set it for a one minute recording) I had a 103MB file, with beautiful 1080i 30fps Olympic footage!

*celebrate*

On a tangent, does anyone remember how to enter the DCH3416's "low-level" setup page? The one that looks sorta like the diagnostics page, and is also accessed while the box is in standby mode? I remember fiddling with it once to turn on closed captions, but I don't remember how to do it any more

P.S.: WinDV and DVIO still bitch about not finding output pins but now that I have CapDVHS working, I say "meh" to them!
post #4677 of 6046 Old 08-14-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:

What is all this "graph" stuff I've been reading about, and that you mention?

The capture or playback of any audio/video under Window can be seen as a chain of DirectShow filters (capture device, audio/video renderer, splitter, etc.). GraphEdit simply shows a visual representation of the process, the graph. So when building a graph, you are simply connecting output pins to input pins. The first picture in this thread shows a simple graph, connecting the "Digital AV/C Tuner Device" to a dump filter.

Quote:

...and the solution?

The drivers found at replayguide.sourceforge.net

I am not seeing anything about some firewire drivers being included with this package, how did you find that out? If they fixed things for you, I suspect that they might also help many others who have issues with the current "Panasonic tape driver"...
post #4678 of 6046 Old 08-16-2008, 04:43 PM

Sorry, it wouldn't let me post links until I reached three posts.

The actual site I'm referring to is the DCT-6412 section on replayguide.sourceforge.net. You're looking for the link titled "motorola6412_firewire.zip" in step 1 of the first section. Apparently DCT-6412 = DCH-3416
post #4679 of 6046 Old 08-16-2008, 06:22 PM

Great link Dok, thanks for that. I jsut need to get the firewire cable now.
post #4680 of 6046 Old 08-17-2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:

You're looking for the link titled "motorola6412_firewire.zip" in step 1 of the first section.

Which is just the Panasonic tape driver that everyone in this thread is using...
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page