Forum Jump: 

post #4681 of 6029 Old 08-17-2008, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post

Great link Dok, thanks for that. I jsut need to get the firewire cable now.

For reference, if you're using a laptop (or just have a 4-pin cable on your desktop), a 6-pin to 4-pin cable works just as well. The DVR obviously doesn't need power from the computer, so a 6-pin connector on the computer side isn't necessary... so 6-to-6 or 6-to-4 will work fine, whichever's cheaper; I got mine for $11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonceur View Post

Which is just the Panasonic tape driver that everyone in this thread is using...

Aye, but this thread also has references to the firestb driver, which explicitly includes the DCH-3416 in its driver list; however the firestb driver didn't work nearly as well (that is to say, it didn't work at all) for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 6029 Old 08-18-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktor Jones View Post

Aye, but this thread also has references to the firestb driver, which explicitly includes the DCH-3416 in its driver list

Well, the actual drivers are the 3 *.sys files, which are exactly the same... The *.inf file only tells Windows what name to use and how to load them... Though it is possible that there is a typo or such for your model.
post #4683 of 6029 Old 08-18-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:

Well, the actual drivers are the 3 *.sys files, which are exactly the same... The *.inf file only tells Windows what name to use and how to load them... Though it is possible that there is a typo or such for your model.

Ah, I hadn't noticed that! Must be something in the INF then that's making the difference. Regardless, the DCT6412 drivers on replayguide worked for me and I'm happily ganking stuff off my DVR
post #4684 of 6029 Old 08-19-2008, 10:56 AM

Has anyone else received one of these RNG200 boxes from Comcast?

I used the stbfirewire drivers package, it installs the AV/C Tuner device (but fails on the panel one). In CapDVHS, I get "Cannot Start Capture" failure, and TSReader shows no data coming in (while on a channel where CCI/EMI is free/free on copy protection screen).

I assume this is a driver issue?
post #4685 of 6029 Old 08-19-2008, 07:48 PM

Believe it or not, I installed OSx86 (Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD) on my PC and followed the guide here: http://project-tigershark.com/people...rewire-hd-pvr/

Capping from RNG200 just fine now via the firewire port on my audigy2 card!

See screenshot (yes, that is OSx86 running on a PC): (WARNING LARGE SIZE) http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?i...86magickt5.jpg

For the first time in my life, I bow down to Apple!
post #4686 of 6029 Old 08-20-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arKas View Post

Believe it or not, I installed OSx86 (Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD) on my PC

I've been capturing on a mac using that procedure for a while now and it is the best method.

What interests me is your installation of Kalyway. I've been doing some reading on the procedure and it seems very problematic. I have several unused pc's that i wan't to convert to leopard.

Can you give me some insight into how your installation went. Maybe some tips and tricks to avoid the common pit falls. A good research link and just your general overall experiences with Kalyway.

8300HD
sara 1.89.17.1
WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB SATA 3.0Gb/s
APRICORN EZ-BUS-DTS-EKIT Enclosure
post #4687 of 6029 Old 08-20-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyv@cybernex. View Post

What interests me is your installation of Kalyway. I've been doing some reading on the procedure and it seems very problematic. I have several unused pc's that i wan't to convert to leopard.

Can you give me some insight into how your installation went. Maybe some tips and tricks to avoid the common pit falls. A good research link and just your general overall experiences with Kalyway.

On my laptop, the Kalyway DVD would fail to boot up and die with a Kernel Panic... I assume this is because of unsupported integrated hardware on Inspiron 9300. On my PC, however, my installation was actually pretty smooth. I just used a spare 80GB drive I had lying around, instead of doing dual boot and all that (I unplugged all the other drives as a precaution). In "Customize" section I just picked the stuff that made sense according to my hardware (like nvidia driver for 256MB card). My system boots up just fine. I had to then get Firewire SDK 26... and also had to run the Leopard firewire components package (I am not sure if I am remembering the name correctly) to actually get it to pick up the Scientific Atlanta tuner... it's somewhere inside the SDK directory. If you need more specifics, I can check later.

Here are my system specs, if it helps:

Quote:

[board@localhost] Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. - 965G-DS3 -
[cpu@localhost] Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz Speed: 1866/1866 MHz - Load: 0% - Socket: Socket 775 FSB: 266MHz String: x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6 Voltage: 1.3V Internal Cache: 64KB External Cache: 2048KB
[mem@localhost] 867/2046MB 42% Slots: 512|512|512|512MB Virtual: 43/2048MB 2%
[vga@localhost] NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT @ 1368*768*32Bit @ 60Hz @ 96dpi ; Driver: 6.14.11.6921 RAM: 256MB
[net@localhost] Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport Speed: 100MBit Received: 1927MB Sent: 1175MB
[sound@localhost] Realtek - Realtek High Definition Audio ]-[ Dvico - FusionHDTV3T, Unified AVStream ]-[ Creative Technology, Ltd. - Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM) ]

(note, the realtek audio works under OSX... but i haven't tried to make the audigy2 work, even though I'm using its firewire port for streaming)
post #4688 of 6029 Old 08-20-2008, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the PM. Please check my reply to it.

On my mac mini i already have the firewire SDK installed and have been using it for sometime. So once I get the kalyway DVD installed the leopard setup as well as using the OS will be very easy for me as I've been using leopard for sometime now.

my questions refer to the actual install of mac on pc via the Kalyway DVD. I would imagine i need a pc that has close specs to the intel mac, which are duel core and duel core 2 but with hardware compatable with the available drivers on the DVD such as video, audio and nic.

I have an intel single core (at work now so can't check) which should work, with an nvidia onboard video chipset which is also good. My audio is a realtec chipset which is also good, but i may need to find a compatable nic card. the motherboard has a built in firewire port which is great so i don't need a capture card with firewire.

so for the most part i think i'm good to go on hardware.

by the way if my typing is a bit of mess forgive me i broke my right hand recently and being right handed this is diffucult to type.

now for some spicific questions that were bought up in my research.

1. i've read that after a sucessful install people have needed to have the install DVD in to boot to leopard each time they want to use it. is this true with your install as well?

2. A lot of people said that towards the end of the install it seemed to lock or stall. then they would reboot and some would go right into leopard and work fine while others would go into a kernal panic. I would imagine that this is what you experienced during your 2 attempts at installing. So this is why my assumption is to be as close to hardware and driver compatability as possible for the PC. Would you agree and is there any advice you can add to this?

Please add any other advice you can for the initial install. I think this is an important issue that can help the people in this thread to get firewire capture working on there PC's.

I will be attempting it this weekend and i'll report back.

thanks again for your help

8300HD
sara 1.89.17.1
post #4689 of 6029 Old 08-20-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:

1. its been said that after install people have needed to have the install DVD in to boot is this true?

I took out the DVD right after install finished. No problems booting up.

Quote:

2. A lot of people said that towards the end of the install it seemed to lock or stall. then they would reboot and some would go right into leopard and some would go into a kernal panic. I would imagine that this is what you experienced during your 2 attempts at installing. So this is why my assumption is to be as close to hardware and driver compatability as possible for the PC. Would you agree and is there any advice you can add to this?

Actually, I was only getting Kernel panics on my Dell Inspiron 9300 (3 years old), and that was 10 seconds into booting from Kalyway DVD. I just assumed the laptop's integrated stuff was a problem for OSX. So I just decided to use my desktop PC instead and, as I said before, everything went smoothly. Obviously it helps to have highly compatible hardware like c2d, nvidia video, realtek audio, marvell network. The best place to get assistance would be the Insanely Mac forums:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showforum=85

BTW, it does take some time to do OSx86 install. I haven't ever done an OSX install on a Mac, so I have no reference as to whether it's quick or slow. It probably took about half hour to 45 mins for me (wasn't exactly watching the clock) from install boot to post-install reboot. But it never "stalled" completely for me, even though it seemed like it would near the end of install. I was just patient.
post #4690 of 6029 Old 08-21-2008, 05:18 PM

i got the drivers installed. now can i set MCE 2005 to see it as a tuner device?

John
post #4691 of 6029 Old 08-27-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:

I am guessing that the reason for this is that CapDVHS is locking the file during recording, right? You could try GrafCorder, I am not sure if the file gets locked or not...

Many moons later, I was forced to learn how to use GraphEdit to set up rcTVCap for my HDPVR. It took me a couple of hours, but I finally figured out what I needed to know. Armed with that knowledge, I came back to this thread and tried out grafcorder.

And yes! It wasn't all that hard after all! Thank you Fonceur, for your efforts. However...

While the file isn't locked and can be played, I am still having the same issue I had with VLC, which is that the file stops playing once it gets to the point at which you began watching the file -- eg, if you start the file and the end time is, say 2:00, the file stops playing at the 2:00 mark even though it is still recording. Conversely if you record a file in Mediaportal, you can play it with MPC and you can see the end time increase steadily as the file records, so it doesn't stop until it reaches the end of the recording.

I tried using the Cyberlink dump filter because that's the one mediaportal uses. It still doesn't let me watch all the way through. I assume there is some muxing/remuxing going on, but it's beyond me at this point.

Not a total loss, however -- grafcorder is perfect for scheduling recordings, and I can even set up a 999 minute batch file as a "record now" from the STB.

(UPDATE) I did a system restore and redid the graph and... it totally works now! So I can now record from the STB and open it in MPC as it's recording, and the end time increases to accomdate the current recording! It still doesn't work with Theatertek (the end time stays static), but now that I have MPC playing .ts files smoothly, it's no big deal. The Cyberlink dump filter did the trick.

Thanks again!
post #4692 of 6029 Old 08-29-2008, 12:10 PM

Sorry if this issue has been posted before... I've tried finding it, to no avail...

I have a Motorola DCT3416. I have the firewire drivers working. I can view live TV via VLC, and record via CapDVHS. It seems like the consensus is that most people can't access their recorded shows on the DVR. I am able to view and record my recorded shows, but the audio doesn't work.

Has anyone had this problem? Or any suggestions?

Thanks
post #4693 of 6029 Old 08-29-2008, 05:12 PM

I'm not entirely sure why the audio wouldn't work; it works fine on mine. I assume you've got the DVR connected to your TV via conventional means while it's connected to your computer via firewire?

What I do is set CapDVHS to record a clip about 2-3 minutes longer than the segment I want to record from my DVR's storage, set up the DVR so it's ready to play the appropriate bit, then I start the recording in CapDVHS and hit play on my DVR.

Are you using the firewire port closest to the power cord on the DVR, or the other one? Maybe that's part of your problem... I've read elsewhere that people have trouble recording using the other port, but that the port closest to the power cord yields the best results.
post #4694 of 6029 Old 08-31-2008, 04:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcramrod View Post

Sorry if this issue has been posted before... I've tried finding it, to no avail...

I have a Motorola DCT3416. I have the firewire drivers working. I can view live TV via VLC, and record via CapDVHS. It seems like the consensus is that most people can't access their recorded shows on the DVR. I am able to view and record my recorded shows, but the audio doesn't work.

Thanks

All shows no audio via VLC? Or just DD5.1 shows?

Do you have an AC3 codec installed?

Try FFDSHOW?

Just a hunch.
post #4695 of 6029 Old 09-01-2008, 11:32 AM

Would somebody save me reading 154 pages and just tell me if I can transfer already recorded videos from my DCT6416III DVR to my laptop via firewire to be viewed on the laptop?

If so a reference to a "how to" would be appreciated.
post #4696 of 6029 Old 09-01-2008, 07:51 PM

hear hear. I've tried looking through some of this thread but wow, is it long. Can someone point me to the right page too. Or, is the 6 yr old stuff on page 1 still good?
post #4697 of 6029 Old 09-02-2008, 12:34 AM

The first page is still up to date guys...
post #4698 of 6029 Old 09-02-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:

Thanks

I've had this problem.

It seems that the audio of the raw .ts file usually digital 5.1 is placed on a non-standard PID (designator for the audio stream location in the file header). Devices such as the MVIX, Buffalo linktheater or popcorn hour media set top players do not recognize this non-standard PID and the result is no audio.

What I do is use videoredo www.videoredo.com and just do a stream copy saving it to mpeg. Just load the video then do a save as mpeg. It only takes about 5 -7 minutes per 2 hours of video to do this because it does not encode it just stream copies and changes the header into mpeg complient info. I believe there is a free utility called somthing like video streamclip which will do a similure function but videoredo is the better app.

8300HD
sara 1.89.17.1
post #4699 of 6029 Old 09-02-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arKas View Post

Has anyone else received one of these RNG200 boxes from Comcast?

I used the stbfirewire drivers package, it installs the AV/C Tuner device (but fails on the panel one). In CapDVHS, I get "Cannot Start Capture" failure, and TSReader shows no data coming in (while on a channel where CCI/EMI is free/free on copy protection screen).

I assume this is a driver issue?

Has anyone figured out this problem? I have an RNG200 and want to work it through my XP laptop. The AV/C Panel driver starts to install, then fails.
post #4700 of 6029 Old 09-02-2008, 02:16 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks

There is a thread about this in the HDTV Recorder forum, but basically Motorola/Comcast have no idea why this function became deactivated and someone that is from Comcast that is on this site was trying to get them to fix it.

There is a 'workaround' for this problem, it is in said thread. It's not perfect but it does let you transfer.
post #4701 of 6029 Old 09-05-2008, 02:55 AM

I have a JVC HD-56FH97 TV which has an internal cablecard (Comcast) and firewire output intended for use with a D-VHS VCR. I am considering a simple HTPC for recording.

As proof of concept, I used my laptop with WinXP Pro SP3, and installed the dvhs firewire drivers from ExDeus as described on his page (referenced in the first post). I then verified that I can record with CapDVHS and playback with the Elecard player. If this worked reliably, I'd be a happy camper, but unfortunately CapDVHS crashes a lot. The crashes seem to be channel dependent, some channels crash immediately with no recording, others record for a few sec before crashing, and others I was able to record for 5 or more min before crashing. There doesn't seem to be any dependence on whether the channels are SD or HD, or whether they are encrypted or clear. For example, one of the longest record times that I got was on Discovery HD, which is both HD and encrypted. NBC HD, which is in the clear, always crashed immediately. After a crash, I have to reboot the computer or at least disconnect/reconnect the firewire cable before CapDVHS it will work again, otherwise I get the infamous Error 800705AA. Given the reports of trouble with the firewire drivers in XP SP2, I also tested with the drivers from SP1, but that didn't help at all. The kb885222 patch from Microsoft for the SP2 drivers does not apply to SP3 either.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get CapDVHS working reliably?

The first post says that MCE can also record from firewire. Can someone please confirm this? If so, I may consider building an HTPC with MCE. (I don't currently have access to MCE or Vista for testing.)

Would something like MediaPortal on XP, or MythTV on Linux be able to record from firewire?

Any info would be appreciated, and special thanks to ExDeus for your work on the drivers.
post #4702 of 6029 Old 09-05-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spocko View Post

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get CapDVHS working reliably?

Sounds like your signal is just that bad... You could try using different application like VLC or GrafCorder, and would most likely need to run the resulting file through VideoReDo's quickstream fix in order to be able to use it.
post #4703 of 6029 Old 09-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommDave View Post

Has anyone figured out this problem? I have an RNG200 and want to work it through my XP laptop. The AV/C Panel driver starts to install, then fails.

The driver is the same for all boxes, and it's the Tuner device you need installed for capturing. The Panel device is only if you want to change the channel / interface with the box.

The problems with the RNG200 are the same everyone else is having with encrypted channels. The EMI/CCI values are unreliable.

Get WMC Recording Storage Pooler 1.0.0.

Get ATI HD Registry Tweaks 0.16. Updated 2009-12-31.

Get Firewire drivers for DVRs. Updated 2009-02-25.
post #4704 of 6029 Old 09-06-2008, 04:35 AM

I Have a Motorola 3416 with Comcast Hartford CT servive, and a Dell Laptop XP SP2 that worked fine about 2 months ago. I transfered tons of shows. Everything worked great as of mid June.

I did not transfer anything all summer.

Two days ago I went to hook it up. All drivers seemed to load fine.

When I hit record on CAPDVHS the screen on the TV freezes up and wont unfreeze until I hit stop. The show resumes play. It is as if I had hit pause on the remote. This happens for both live shows and recorded ones. Nothing transfers.

Any ideas? Did comcast do something to the DVR firmware?

Thanks

Apel
post #4705 of 6029 Old 09-06-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spocko View Post

I have a JVC HD-56FH97 TV which has an internal cablecard (Comcast) and firewire output intended for use with a D-VHS VCR. I am considering a simple HTPC for recording. ...

I tried another computer (newer, faster, different firewire hardware), XP Pro SP2 with kb885222 patch. Unfortunately my results with CapDVHS were the same as before, lot's of crashing.

I figured out how to use GrafCorder, and the results are much better, no crashing. Now I have a different problem - the quality of the recorded material varies widely. When playing back the recordings with Elecard or VLC, some channels look clean, others have occasional "glitches", others have so much pixellation/breakup that they are unwatchable. The glitches also seem to be the cause of the crashes in CapDVHS because the channels that playback the cleanest are the ones that I could record the longest before crashing in CapDVHS. All channels look great when watching them on the TV, so I don't know why some look bad on the firewire output.

The VideoReDo quickstream fix didn't help the bad recordings. It didn't even seem to work right, since it finished immediately and only produced a tiny output file.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? If I can't make clean recordings with GrafCorder, I'm afraid that other recording options won't be able to either.

One other question: Is there any way to send the recordings back to the TV via firewire and have the TV handle the decoding/playback? That is what a D-VHS VCR would presumably do. I wonder if that might give better results, but I couldn't find any way to do playback via firewire.

Thanks!
post #4706 of 6029 Old 09-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I've been spectating this thread for a while now here so forgive me if I'm a little offbase. I'm only going by what posts I have seen here.

Hopefully the OP is around and can possibly do some cleanup/restructuring of his/her post since it's got quite old information by now. If not, I'd have no trouble setting up a sort of 'FAQ' post to cover a lot of this stuff if it came to that.

To the past couple posters: It's unfortunately been covered here that between of the windows drivers that have to be used and how the software like CapDVHS is coded, the program is VERY picky about what it'll record and it appears to depend largely on how the data is encoded on each channel by the cable company, PID's and all.

Remember that in most cases, especially HD channels and if your cableco does digital simulcasting, the DVR is only doing a direct copy of the MPEG2 data to the hard drive, encoder inconsistencies and all.

The only real 100% way around this is to use a Mac to do the job as the firewire driver for this is more open and better debugged on that end. The only option us windows users have is an ancient closed source panasonic driver and, thanks to the media industry in general, it's near impossible to write one from scratch and have it actually work with these set-top boxes.

post #4707 of 6029 Old 09-06-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apel View Post

I Have a Motorola 3416 with Comcast Hartford CT servive, and a Dell Laptop XP SP2 that worked fine about 2 months ago. I transfered tons of shows. Everything worked great as of mid June.

I did not transfer anything all summer.

Two days ago I went to hook it up. All drivers seemed to load fine.

When I hit record on CAPDVHS the screen on the TV freezes up and wont unfreeze until I hit stop. The show resumes play. It is as if I had hit pause on the remote. This happens for both live shows and recorded ones. Nothing transfers.

Any ideas? Did comcast do something to the DVR firmware?

Thanks

Apel

I am experiencing almost the same problem. I have a Motorola DCT6400 from COX Cinnecticut, from which I used to be able to pull recorded programs via firewire. Now all of a sudden, when I try to transfer material from the DVR using CAPDVHS the TV display freezes. When I stop recording the TV display reanimates, not at the point it left off but as if it was running all along. A TS file does get recorded on my PC's Hard Drive, but it is unusable. When I try to open it in HDTV2MPEG2 a dialog box pops up with the message "Could Not find a channel!" The file does not open after closing the dialog box.

I believe that COX recently pushed a firmware update to their DVR's, and it's causing all sorts of tech support calls (I talked to one of their service contractors and he told me he had 15 calls to fix update problems just that day alone).

I'd be very interestd in hearing if anyone has a post-update workaround that would enable us to retrieve recorded material from the DVR again?

Thanks!
post #4708 of 6029 Old 09-06-2008, 05:38 PM

Liked: 11
post #4709 of 6029 Old 09-06-2008, 07:23 PM

I would just like to thank Hardcore Legend and all the posters on this forum. AVS has been a valuable resource for me over the years.

The information is helpful and timely

Thanks again

Peace
post #4710 of 6029 Old 09-07-2008, 11:40 PM

Vchat20, thanks for your insights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vchat20 View Post

Remember that in most cases, especially HD channels and if your cableco does digital simulcasting, the DVR is only doing a direct copy of the MPEG2 data to the hard drive, encoder inconsistencies and all.

Isn't something like CapDVHS doing the same thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vchat20 View Post

The only real 100% way around this is to use a Mac to do the job as the firewire driver for this is more open and better debugged on that end. The only option us windows users have is an ancient closed source panasonic driver and, thanks to the media industry in general, it's near impossible to write one from scratch and have it actually work with these set-top boxes.

How about Linux? Are the drivers solid on that platform?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page