How to record via IEEE 1394 (Firewire) to Windows XP - Page 180 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5371 of 6043 Old 09-19-2010, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the same problem as ORC_PEON i have an Explorer 3250HD

the uknown devices got picked up from the stb_firewire zip but when I try to install the 3250HD. I get Windows ecountered a problem installing the drivers software for your device the system cannot find the file specified.

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5372 of 6043 Old 09-22-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub24ox7 View Post

Ok so I can record and everything seems ok until I run mpeg2repair I then see that I have tons of timestamp gaps! also tsreader shows a few continuity errors after recording for an hour or two this is MGMHD but my local channels have errors like to many slices in macroblock and timestamp gaps.

I was getting the same issue for a while without realizing it. I record to my HD-DVR and then transfer to my PC when I want to archive it by burning a DVD. After upgrading and re-installing just about everything except the OS, I decided to give it one more try after seeing your post. I finally found that my 1394 connection was being firewalled. Once I stopped that I am no longer getting any timegap errors and it seems to be working as expected.

This may be worth checking out if you are still having the same problem. Sorry it took me a while to reply it took me a while to find it and then test the solution to make sure it works.
post #5373 of 6043 Old 09-23-2010, 08:06 AM

hi folks, i have Cisco RNG200 - Added 2009-02-25, and everytime i start capdvhs it throws me an error or freezes my pc. Can anyone help?
post #5374 of 6043 Old 09-29-2010, 05:12 PM

I finally got a fabulous capture from my 8300HD using firewire!!! Success!!

I will update this post later with the details after I calm down and move my 14GB of .ts file somewhere....

I have Timewarner and a 8300HD with the two firewire ports. My PC is a Core2Duo running XP. I just grabbed the firewire drivers and plugged in the cable, easy so far.

CapDVHS would always crash after 5-30 secs no matter what.

I saw a post about Graphedit/Grafcorder and thought I would try it for myself. I installed it per the limited instructions in the web and it work flawlessly!!

I captured a 2:30 Formula One HD program, from a recording - not live TV. The video looks great and audio is 5.1.

The file is a .ts and is about 14GB. Huge but still manageable.

The Grafcorder instructions are here http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/show...ght=grafcorder

more details to come!!
post #5375 of 6043 Old 09-29-2010, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsan View Post

The file is a .ts and is about 14TB. Huge but still manageable.

I think you got terabytes confused with gigabytes.

Flicks? Here's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. And I've
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, too.
post #5376 of 6043 Old 09-29-2010, 10:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

The file is a .ts and is about 14TB. Huge but still manageable.

say whaa......?

LOL
post #5377 of 6043 Old 09-29-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSugino View Post

I think you got terabytes confused with gigabytes.

Sorry - yes, mixup there. But the bugga is way beeg anyway. I'm just glad the capture ran for 2 1/2 hours without a hiccup.

Looking for a reliable program to check the bit rate of an existing HD MPEG file. Any recommendations?

TSDoctor was able to crank out a MKV directly from the .ts at a 14:1 reduction in size. Conversion was very quick.
post #5378 of 6043 Old 09-30-2010, 12:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
TSReader?
post #5379 of 6043 Old 09-30-2010, 05:44 AM

Anyone have luck with using ExDeus' STB firewire drivers with the SA (now Cisco) 4240HDC? The documentation on the site lists the SA 4250 as supported but no mention of the 4240HDC.

Yes, I know I could probably just try it and see, but I just wanted to check if anyone has had success before I try. Thanks.
post #5380 of 6043 Old 09-30-2010, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Sheesh, my Comcast 3416 reboots even when my HTPC comes out of sleep mode if the firewire cable is attached, so I've had to leave it disconnected.
post #5381 of 6043 Old 10-01-2010, 06:49 PM

Ok before I go buy a 25 foot firewire cable and try this I figured I would ask to see if this will solve my problem. I just got an HD DVR box from Comcast. I don't know exactly what information you guys might need to answer my question so I'll give you everything I can think of. I live in Atlanta. I THINK I have a Motorola DCT 6416. The reason I think it is this box is because I looked up the picture and the description and picture on this page matches what I have exactly, it says:
The DCT 6416 is a high-definition (HD) box which offers PVR functions. The 6416 includes dual tuners which allow you to watch one program while recording another, as well as an HDMI port to connect your HDTV.
I believe this is the only one that had the HDMI port on the back and my box has this.
It also has the dual tuners but I only care about recording on one.
What I need to be able to do is record LIVE tv from my HD channels and have it record in HD as well. Currently I have it rigged where I can watch the HD channels on my Hauppauge TV tuner but it is coming through only in black and white. I installed SageTV and got it to come through in color. It is by FAR in HD though. I didn't really expect it to be in HD because of the way it's hooked up. So anyways my question is, 1. Will this firewire thing work for watching in HD and 2. Will I be able to record in HD as well?

Another question you might be able to answer is, if this won't work, is there any way I could use the HDMI output to connect to a video card? I don't even know if there are any video cards that have HDMI inputs and if there are if they would be able to pick up a signal from a HD DVR box.
post #5382 of 6043 Old 10-01-2010, 06:59 PM

I have heard that the Black Magic Intensity card will capture HD from HDMI, but I have not tried it myself. Cards are $200.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/
post #5383 of 6043 Old 10-01-2010, 07:50 PM

I found that Intensity card while searching for a video card with HDMI inputs. I found a dealer right down the street from house that I'm going to talk to and find out if it will record from Comcast because it says it won't record anything that is copyright protected. I really don't want to spend $200 either. I was hoping the firewire thing would work because I'd rather spend the $32 on a 25-ft cable. I'm starting to think about cancelling the cable from Comcast, keeping the internet and switching to Dish Network. The problem with this is, I don't even know if I will be able to record in HD using the Haupauge card I already have and Dish Networks box. Does anyone know if this is possible?
post #5384 of 6043 Old 10-02-2010, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by solielj View Post

Ok before I go buy a 25 foot firewire cable and try this I figured I would ask to see if this will solve my problem. I just got an HD DVR box from Comcast. I don't know exactly what information you guys might need to answer my question so I'll give you everything I can think of. I live in Atlanta. I THINK I have a Motorola DCT 6416. The reason I think it is this box is because I looked up the picture and the description and picture on this page matches what I have exactly, it says:
The DCT 6416 is a high-definition (HD) box which offers PVR functions. The 6416 includes dual tuners which allow you to watch one program while recording another, as well as an HDMI port to connect your HDTV.
I believe this is the only one that had the HDMI port on the back and my box has this.
What I need to be able to do is record LIVE tv from my HD channels and have it record in HD as well. Currently I have it rigged where I can watch the HD channels on my Hauppauge TV tuner but it is coming through only in black and white. I installed SageTV and got it to come through in color. It is by FAR in HD though. I didn't really expect it to be in HD because of the way it's hooked up. So anyways my question is, 1. Will this firewire thing work for watching in HD and 2. Will I be able to record in HD as well?

Another question you might be able to answer is, if this won't work, is there any way I could use the HDMI output to connect to a video card? I don't even know if there are any video cards that have HDMI inputs and if there are if they would be able to pick up a signal from a HD DVR box.

Recording in HD-Yes/No.
1. You will be able to record copy freely flagged HD content.
2. You will NOT be able to copy once/never flagged content.
3. You will be able to record what is currently being displayed on the other outputs (Component/HDMI/DVI)
4. You will be able to record on the DVR with both tuners. See comment 3.
5. You will not record the on screen menus/guide, as they are overlaid on the uncompressed outputs, and not encoded and multiplexed into the firewire stream (thankfully).

Dont waste your time with capturing HDMI.
post #5385 of 6043 Old 10-05-2010, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just a warning, not sure if a 25 foot firewire cable will work. I think the spec calls for something like 15' or so before a repeater might be needed because you might start losing bits at lengths above that.
post #5386 of 6043 Old 10-05-2010, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
For you FireWire junkies in the Chicago area, here's a list of Comcast channels along with a column indicating whether an HD channel is recordable via FireWire. If you see anything needing corrections, please let me know.

Note: The channel list and testing was done in Schaumburg (where I live); your channel line-up may vary by head-end.

Flicks? Here's
. And I've
, too.
post #5387 of 6043 Old 10-08-2010, 07:42 PM

How can I keep the HDTV quality atleast at 720p, but get it much smaller. Used Capdvhs and records perfectly as a .ts file. But it is about 20 gb in size.

I use both avidemux and Factory Format (both free programs), but can't seem to get the right settings to convert to .mkv, which I can play on my LG blu-ray player. I would also consider changing it to divx if I can keep Hi Def format.

I have been checking forums but can't find a clear answer.

Plus, recording from saved files does not work clearly - with lines and pixilation. Has anyone solved this problem. It seems some kind of settings either in the DCX Motorola box, or Capdvhs, might solve this problem.
post #5388 of 6043 Old 10-09-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Your files should be large as 1080i MPEG2 will usually range from 6-8GB/Hour of recording. You probably want to edit off the beginning and end of the ts as sometimes there is junk at the beginning of the captured file. HDTV2Mpeg is a free tool you can use to cut out junk you dont want (commercials). Then SmartLabs tsMuxeR will allow you to remux into either BD structure or MKV. If you want small file sizes, you will have to spend a lot of time re-encoding the content after editing out the crap you dont want.

Suggestion: Get a 1 TB hard drive and use it for storing your caps-disk space is cheap, your time not so much....
post #5389 of 6043 Old 10-10-2010, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Converting to MKV is just changing the container, to reduce the file size significantly you'll have to re-encode, H264 is the best choice for that. A couple of options:

MeGUI - free and works well, but there is a learning curve.

VideoReDo - costs $$ but is a solid product and much easier to use for the novice.

Depending on how powerful your PC is and how picky you are about the quality, converting to H264 can take from a couple of hours to 8-10 hours.
post #5390 of 6043 Old 10-10-2010, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I have heard that the Black Magic Intensity card will capture HD from HDMI, but I have not tried it myself. Cards are $200.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

I think it would be hard to make it work with a cable/sat set top box. All of those devices use HDCP to protect the content. You'd at least need to use an HDCP stripper and even then I'm not sure it would work.
post #5391 of 6043 Old 10-10-2010, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrenchman View Post

How can I keep the HDTV quality atleast at 720p, but get it much smaller. Used Capdvhs and records perfectly as a .ts file. But it is about 20 gb in size.

There's no free lunch. If you want high quality high-def, the files are going to be rather large. I would suggest NOT re-encoding the video to h.264, as that will diminish the quality and, at best, you'll save maybe 30-40% on the file size (not worth it, IMO). Hard drives are amazingly cheap any more, so grab a cheap 1.5 TB drive and enjoy the highest quality high-def.

If you go the re-encode route, you're likely to end up with a far less impressive looking video file (like some of the crappy "high-def" avi and mkv on the net, many of which reduce the resolution to half of the original). Plus it takes a looonnnngg time for a computer to re-encode high-def video.
post #5392 of 6043 Old 10-10-2010, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I found that Intensity card while searching for a video card with HDMI inputs. I found a dealer right down the street from house that I'm going to talk to and find out if it will record from Comcast because it says it won't record anything that is copyright protected. I really don't want to spend $200 either. I was hoping the firewire thing would work because I'd rather spend the $32 on a 25-ft cable. I'm starting to think about cancelling the cable from Comcast, keeping the internet and switching to Dish Network. The problem with this is, I don't even know if I will be able to record in HD using the Haupauge card I already have and Dish Networks box. Does anyone know if this is possible?

If the Dish box has Component video output and toslink digital audio output, you should be good. But you'll want to find out if the dish network box allows both the HDMI and Component video to output at the same time. It's also possible that they turn off Component video for pay-per-view, but I doubt it.
post #5393 of 6043 Old 10-14-2010, 09:48 AM

So I downloaded and edited, then saved files (hockey games) as TS on avidemux with success, and prepared for bluray with BD MovieMaker.

But recorded a file from NHL Center Ice, that even in the recording there were audio/video glitches where the sound stops, but the video keeps going. Seeing the problem, I saved an alternate audio source to be put in later.

The second audio has no glitches until I combine it with the video - whic I removed the original audio, but "the new audio has the same glitches."

*** I managed to get the old audio/video file - the original TS stream to play properly by saving as : video - MPEG-ASP (avcodec)
audio - AC3 (lav)
format - MKV

But other programs, including TS Muxer does NOT recognize the video file from the saved MKV. Can anyone tell me what happened, and more importantly, how I can save this file properly. Thanks.

(Note - I use firewire on a motorola dcx3400m, record with capdvhs, edit with avidemux (other programs keep crashing) and prepare with BD MovieMaker, and has worked well with other streams and TS Muxer when needed)

Main problem is that the video from MKV is ignored by other programs.
post #5394 of 6043 Old 10-20-2010, 11:45 PM

CapDVHS now gives me an invalid date and time error whenever I try to schedule a recording.
It worked fine for a couple of years.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Philip Macafee

post #5395 of 6043 Old 10-30-2010, 06:18 PM

Hello,

I just got a new Comcast DCX3400 500GB model. Been doing some research in this thread, but couldn't find anything after spending hours reading. I was wondering if I can record live TV with the tutorial via the firewire port? Also, has anyone tried using the eSATA port as an expansion for use with an external hard drive? Any help is appreciated.
post #5396 of 6043 Old 10-30-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyboy383 View Post

Hello,

I just got a new Comcast DCX3400 500GB model. Been doing some research in this thread, but couldn't find anything after spending hours reading. I was wondering if I can record live TV with the tutorial via the firewire port? Also, has anyone tried using the eSATA port as an expansion for use with an external hard drive? Any help is appreciated.

My dcx does not work over the firewire port (choppy playback and dropped frames), although you could give it a try and see what happens. The eSATA is generally disabled for US users so I have not even tried.
post #5397 of 6043 Old 11-07-2010, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMorn2374 View Post

My dcx does not work over the firewire port (choppy playback and dropped frames), although you could give it a try and see what happens.

I've found that as long as I first record the show that I want to copy to the DVR, then later set both my tuners to SD channels (I usually use channel 002 and 004) and play back the DVR recording, I can get error-free firewire CapDVHS copies.

Now, I'm actually using a DCH3416 model, so it may be a little different for those with DCX models. I get the worst results when two different HD shows are recording while I try firewire copying another HD show (playing back from the DVR). I tend to get a lot of Input Sequence Errors and audio resync frames and video frames dropped. It seems to overwhelm the box somehow...I'm not sure if it's a memory thing or processing power or what.

But anyways, I've done quite a bit of testing and have settled on doing the following before dumping via firewire:
1. Make sure nothing is recording at all during the time that I'll be dumping via firewire.
2. Turn to channel 002 (b/c it's a SD channel, so I assume it's less taxing on the cable box).
3. Switch tuners (using the remote's PiP Swap button) and change that channel to 004 (again, b/c it's a SD channel)
4. Turn off the cable box for 30 seconds (this may be unneeded, but I'm a bit paranoid by all the issues I've had. I don't have solid evidence that this helps)
5. Turn the cable box back on and play back the DVR recording that I want to dump via firewire.
6. Record with CapDVHS

I've had very good results when I follow these instructions. Hopefully they can be used by the DCX series as well.
post #5398 of 6043 Old 11-08-2010, 02:24 AM

I'm willing to give it a try. Thanks!
post #5399 of 6043 Old 11-08-2010, 09:36 AM

Would one solution be a pc with both XP and Win7 OS. Use XP for access to the stb and Win7 for other applications???
post #5400 of 6043 Old 11-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfj View Post
Would one solution be a pc with both XP and Win7 OS. Use XP for access to the stb and Win7 for other applications???
CapDVHS works for me on Windows7 with DCH-3416, thus there is no need for WinXP.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page