Originally Posted by CaptMorn2374
My dcx does not work over the firewire port (choppy playback and dropped frames), although you could give it a try and see what happens.
I've found that as long as I first record the show that I want to copy to the DVR, then later set both my tuners to SD channels (I usually use channel 002 and 004) and play back the DVR recording, I can get error-free firewire CapDVHS copies.
Now, I'm actually using a DCH3416 model, so it may be a little different for those with DCX models. I get the worst results when two different HD shows are recording while I try firewire copying another HD show (playing back from the DVR). I tend to get a lot of Input Sequence Errors and audio resync frames and video frames dropped. It seems to overwhelm the box somehow...I'm not sure if it's a memory thing or processing power or what.
But anyways, I've done quite a bit of testing and have settled on doing the following before dumping via firewire:
1. Make sure nothing is recording at all during the time that I'll be dumping via firewire.
2. Turn to channel 002 (b/c it's a SD channel, so I assume it's less taxing on the cable box).
3. Switch tuners (using the remote's PiP Swap button) and change that channel to 004 (again, b/c it's a SD channel)
4. Turn off the cable box for 30 seconds (this may be unneeded, but I'm a bit paranoid by all the issues I've had. I don't have solid evidence that this helps)
5. Turn the cable box back on and play back the DVR recording that I want to dump via firewire.
6. Record with CapDVHS
I've had very good results when I follow these instructions. Hopefully they can be used by the DCX series as well.