post #5491 of 6046 Old 02-21-2011, 03:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO821 View Post

Yes, it is widely known that the firmware which accompanied the A28 update has caused several problems with firewire on the DCT and DCH cable boxes. One problem is that the cable box reboots when you either plug or unplug the firewire cable (this happens when plugging or unplugging both DVHS VCR's and computers alike). Another problem is the firewire glitching bug, which is possibly what you are experiencing.

Maybe my situation is different than yours, but I still rate my DCH3416 -> DT100U situation 100% reliable. Even with A28 running on the DCH, I've not had any recording issues to DVHS.

I do NOT ever unplug the firewire cable that is permanently plugged in connecting the DVR to my VCR.

However I also keep my VCR set at L-1, rather than I-1, when I'm not doing any recording to DVHS. And it's virtually always powered off. It's long been known that the Motorola boxes are not terribly comfortable with the firewire connection "hot". There are some potential anomalies which only appear when the DVR senses that "somebody's listening", so there's no reason to aggravate it.

Bottom line: if I want to get a copy-freely recording to PC I will tune the DT100U to I-1, offload from DVR to DVHS after getting the DVR recording going playing back and the VCR set up and then just pushing REC (actually, I push the "quick timer" button repeatedly to set a 30-minute to 3.5-hour recording unattended, after which the VCR just turns itself off.

I then take the DVHS tape upstairs to my second DT100U. I'll then reboot that upstairs PC to WinXP, set up the VCR and plug in the firewire cable to the PC, position the tape for proper playback, get CapDVHS running manually, and then push the REC button on CapDVHS when I'm ready. I set the CapDVHS timer to 30 minutes or an hour and just go away.

I then use VideoReDo TV Suite to edit out commercials or slice out just that clip I wanted to get on my PC.

So I never have to control either the DVR or VCR during stage #1 of offloading to DVHS. And I never have to control CapDVHS during the transcription from DVHS to PC during stage #2. And I never have the DCH connected to my PC and CapDVHS. I only have a true DVHS VCR connected to my PC, and I use the MEIDVHS firewire drivers on WinXP, not the STB firewire drivers.

Honestly, I would rate this process 100% reliable. Both steps are "unattended", and I rely on the editing software to produce what I really want to end up with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5492 of 6046 Old 02-21-2011, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you all for the discussion of the firewire recording issue on the DCH3416 box. I figured out the rebooting issue. I thought the glitches I was getting was due to poor signal, but I did a test and figured out the glitches were random. I've try some of the suggestions here but they haven't helped too much as I still see 15-80 errors in VideoReDo for a 2 hour capture.

Unfortunately for a couple of channels, there are no commercial breaks so it's tough to rerecord and then fix the effected area. Oh well, if I really liked the movie that much, I should just buy it. I may get a ATI tuner or something to do this type of capturing.

Thanks,
Chris
post #5493 of 6046 Old 02-21-2011, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlotkins View Post

Thank you all for the discussion of the firewire recording issue on the DCH3416 box. I figured out the rebooting issue. I thought the glitches I was getting was due to poor signal, but I did a test and figured out the glitches were random. I've try some of the suggestions here but they haven't helped too much as I still see 15-80 errors in VideoReDo for a 2 hour capture.

Unfortunately for a couple of channels, there are no commercial breaks so it's tough to rerecord and then fix the effected area. Oh well, if I really liked the movie that much, I should just buy it. I may get a ATI tuner or something to do this type of capturing.

Thanks,
Chris

Because of these random glitches, the best workflow is to record onto the DVR's hard drive, then transfer once the recording is complete in realtime. Find the glitchy spots and retransfer just those segments again and it is likely you will not have the glitches. You then have to line up the I frames on VideoReDo and splice them glitch free segments in. It is kind of a pain, but doable since the I frames never change since you are bitstreaming.

It just depends on how much effort you are willing to go through.
post #5494 of 6046 Old 02-21-2011, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Maybe my situation is different than yours, but I still rate my DCH3416 -> DT100U situation 100% reliable. Even with A28 running on the DCH, I've not had any recording issues to DVHS.

I do NOT ever unplug the firewire cable that is permanently plugged in connecting the DVR to my VCR.

Okay, but I was getting the impression that you were disputing that any code change whatsoever had gone into the firewire portion of the A28 firmware. In other words your DCH doesn't reboot when firewire is connected/disconnected and you aren't seeing any glitching.

So you're just saying that your way of doing things prevents the firewire reboot bug from being an issue. That's cool. And you may have a stronger signal that is preventing the glitching from impacting you (Comcast engineers boosted my signal about a week ago and it has helped reduce glitching significantly).

Quote:

And I never have the DCH connected to my PC and CapDVHS. I only have a true DVHS VCR connected to my PC, and I use the MEIDVHS firewire drivers on WinXP, not the STB firewire drivers.

I have 4 DVHS VCR's (2 JVC 30000's, a Mits 1100 and a Mits 2000) and I loaded the MEIDVHS drivers on a fresh WinXP SP3 (back in Dec) and got identical results with glitching on my DVHS tapes. There was no difference vs. what I would typically see using the STB drivers and connecting directly to my PC. Now maybe the MEIDVHS.zip file I downloaded was different than what you use.

Could you post the drivers you're using so that I can test using them?

My theory is that, based on signal strength or other characteristics (that are beyond any of our control) the firewire glitching is not being aggravated in your situation. So far, I have seen evidence that suggests your use of a DVHS VCR and the MEIDVHS drivers has nothing to do with your lack of glitching.

But I would love to be wrong. If I could get those drivers to give me 100% reliable captures, I would change my HD workflow in a heartbeat.
post #5495 of 6046 Old 02-21-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:

In case there are people reading this that don't know:

I found that if I turn off my DCT6412-P3 before connecting the firewire cable, it causes the PVR to power on, but it does not reboot and lose all the guide data. If it's on when I connect the cable, it reboots and I lose the guide data.

I don't know if this is the same for all models, but worth posting this reminder. I stumbled upon this after a few days. I'm sure it's been posted before but this thread is _really_ long.
post #5496 of 6046 Old 02-21-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

2 hours is a long capture...I never go longer than 32 min and I almost always have my CapDVHS timer set to 13 minutes or less. But then, the majority of what I capture are 11 minute Adult Swim comedies. Even when I do decide to capture a 1 hour long show, I divide it into several smaller captures and redo the ones that have glitching.

Well, the truth is that on some of the broadcast channels (particularly NBC), I'll often let the capture go as long as the show b/c I nearly never see glitching on those channels. But if I'm capturing one of my problematic channels (which has been AMC, IFC, FX, TBS, and Cartoon Network...though TBS may drop off that list after Comcast boosted the signal...I've been getting much better results and haven't tested the other problematic channels since the boost) I will always keep the capture time short. I usually will stop the capture at every ad break and then start another. During the ad break I use VideoRedo to edit it down (and to let me know if there was any glitching). If there was glitching, I stop the DVR playback and change both tuners to SD channels (I use 5 and 6) and power off the cable box. I then power the cable box up (after 30 seconds) and change both tuner channels again (it makes no sense to me why this second channel change is needed, but I get better results...so it's now a religious or superstitious habit). I always have both tuners on channels 8 and 9 while capturing (again, b/c I get good results, it's become habit). I then restart the DVR recording and try to capture the glitchy segment again. About 80% of the time, this procedure will give me a glitch-free capture. The other 20% of the time I'll do it over again.

Now, when it works, I'm not sure how long it'll work for. As I mentioned, I'm in the habit of recording no more than 13 minutes at a time. I wouldn't be surprised if it begins glitching again within an hour. Maybe once the buffers fill up on both tuners it gets its glitch on. Who knows?

Anyways, if I'm recording a half-hour show, I'll typically have 4 parts. I stop recording at each ad break and edit the segment during the break. Sometimes I'll have 5 parts, it depends on how many ad breaks there are. So when I recorded this week's Mr. Sunshine, I wound up with the following files:
Mr_Sunshine_2011-02-17_A.ts
Mr_Sunshine_2011-02-17_B.ts
Mr_Sunshine_2011-02-17_C.ts
Mr_Sunshine_2011-02-17_D.ts
All of the files had already had the ad breaks removed and VideoReDo let me know that they were glitch-free. I then opened VideoReDo and had it open all of them at once, which caused it to prompt me and ask if I would like to Join the videos. I told it to join the videos (it knew the order to join them in based on the names). I then went to the Joiner menu and chose "Create Video from Joiner List" and named the file "Mr_Sunshine_2011-02-17.ts"

Now in this example I probably didn't need to do it this way b/c it was on ABC which doesn't give me much glitching...but I've gotten quite fast at doing this and can be finished with editing down a segment before the ad break has even ended. I figure this doesn't take much longer than removing the ads from one big capture, and it gives me nearly real-time feedback on whether I'm getting glitching or not.

Quote:

Unfortunately for a couple of channels, there are no commercial breaks so it's tough to rerecord and then fix the effected area. Oh well, if I really liked the movie that much, I should just buy it.

That is tougher, but you can find either a scene change (where a regular network would normally stick a commercial break), or just a camera cut (but avoid crossfades, etc). VideoReDo can edit it together nicely.

But I agree that if it's a movie that you really like, you should just get it on Blu-ray...the quality will be quite a bit better on Blu-ray (especially the audio, if you have a good surround setup).
post #5497 of 6046 Old 02-21-2011, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the replies. Is there anyway with the VideoReDo log to tell how bad the glitches will be in the file? For example, I just did a recording and it was actually very, very good. (This was after trying the analog suggestions etc.) VideoReDo found 4 audio frame errors, 3 input sequence errors and 8 video resync frames removed. Mind you, this was on a 2 hour capture.

Thanks,
Chris
post #5498 of 6046 Old 02-21-2011, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the replies. Is there anyway with the VideoReDo log to tell how bad the glitches will be in the file? For example, I just did a recording and it was actually very, very good. (This was after trying the analog suggestions etc.) VideoReDo found 4 audio frame errors, 3 input sequence errors and 8 video resync frames removed. Mind you, this was on a 2 hour capture.

The VideoReDo log can't tell you how bad they'll look, but it can tell you exactly where they are and how many different spots in the file are impacted.

If you're using Windows XP, the log file is located at:
C:\\Documents and Settings\\%USERNAME%\\Application Data\\VideoReDo-TVSuite4\\VideoReDo.log

If you're on Windows 7 or Vista, the log file is located at:
C:\\Users\\%USERNAME%\\AppData\\Roaming\\VideoReDo-TVSuite4\\VideoReDo.log

Just open the log file and go to the end of it and you'll see a lot of stats about your most recent edit. You'll see the timestamps of where the Audio Frame Errors, Input Sequence Errors, and Video Resync Frames Removed occurred.

You can then run your video and go to the glitchy spot and see for yourself how bad it looks. You could also look for good spots to splice the video in case you decide to re-capture the glitchy part(s).
post #5499 of 6046 Old 02-21-2011, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks again. I did manage to clip out one glitch and the analog channel tuning helps a lot. I think I can make this work.

THanks,
CHris
post #5500 of 6046 Old 02-21-2011, 07:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Okay, but I was getting the impression that you were disputing that any code change whatsoever had gone into the firewire portion of the A28 firmware. In other words your DCH doesn't reboot when firewire is connected/disconnected and you aren't seeing any glitching.

I honestly don't know if there was a code change in A28 relating to the firewire interface. Personally I would have expected those changes to be in firmware, not Guide software, but maybe the relevant code is in both places.

Anyway I am confirming that I have NEVER seen a DCH (or DCT before that) reboot relating to firewire recording to DVHS (first JVC 40K and now DT100U). My firewire cable is permanently connected, but the VCR is almost always powered off. And the VCR is tuned to L-1 when it's not being used for firewire recording. I used to use L-1 to pass-through DirectTV analog TV to my TV, but I've now discontinued DirectTV so my use of the VCR for this purpose is now zero. And I find myself recording from DVR to DVHS very very rare these days, since TWC has marked EVERY CHANNEL as "copy-once" making subsequent copies to PC impossible. I now find that the copy-once things I care to keep on DVHS for posterity are few and far between.

My experience has always been that problems of controlling the DVR and other anomalies pertaining to DVR behavior and performance are completely tied to the VCR being tuned to I-1 (and therefore "listening" to the DVR, and trying to "keep up" with channel changes, FF/REW, and 30-second skip forward or 15-second skip backward, etc.). Even if the VCR is powered off, if it's tuned to I-1 then it is actively part of the "firewire relay" topology (and could actually relay data from a source device to a target device through its two firewire connectors) and is essentially "powered on and active" from the perspective of the DVR. I've decided that it is in these situations where doing things "too fast" on the DVR (really, just perfectly normal control operations... but the VCR connected via firewire just can't keep up) is what causes havoc either on the DVR or on the VCR, sometimes requiring re-boot of either by pulling power cords.

Only tuning the VCR to something other than I-1 can the DVR be guaranteed to behave in true "standalone" performance mode. These DVR and VCR anomalies can be totally prevented by just "removing" the VCR from the firewire relay with the DVR, by tuning to L-1 (or really just anything other than I-1), even leaving the firewire cable still connected.

Quote:

So you're just saying that your way of doing things prevents the firewire reboot bug from being an issue.

Correct. If and when I actually do want to offload something from DVR to VCR, I do it VERY SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY getting started, ensuring that the VCR is "synced up" (by monitoring the output of the VCR on my HDTV to ensure picture/sound, before restarting the DVR recording playback from the beginning and pushing REC on the VCR).

Note also that I never record anything "live" from the DVR onto the VCR. My habit is simply to record something on the DVR, decide later than I want to keep it, and then subsequently eventually offload it to DVHS. So I'm only creating DVR->DVHS copies from previous DVR recordings, and never "live TV".

Quote:

I have 4 DVHS VCR's (2 JVC 30000's, a Mits 1100 and a Mits 2000) and I loaded the MEIDVHS drivers on a fresh WinXP SP3 (back in Dec) and got identical results with glitching on my DVHS tapes.

I've never owned a Mits DVHS machine, nor have I owned that 1st-generation 30K.

I went from a 0th-generation Panny combo (DST50/PV-HD1000) and Dish HDTV Modulator to a JVC 40K, and now DT100U's (three of them). Perhaps the firewire recording stability and glitch-freeness has improved with later generation JVC machines. But I've not had a signal strength issue with my TWC/LA situation, and I use a 3-way splitter. The Ceton card in my HTPC on one of those three split coax legs reads about -10db to -13db depending on channel, which appears to at least adequate for the Ceton card (and apparently also for the DCH3416 on another leg).

Quote:

There was no difference vs. what I would typically see using the STB drivers and connecting directly to my PC. Now maybe the MEIDVHS.zip file I downloaded was different than what you use.

Could you post the drivers you're using so that I can test using them?

I'm sure we're using the same MEIDVHS driver. It's dated back in 2001, so I'm certain there's nothing "more current" about my version.

I only use that one because it had been suggested to me many years back, instead of the more "robust" STB driver that theoretically could support DVHS VCRs as well. I may have been having some problems getting things to work early on, learning about CapDVHS, etc., and thought going to a DVHS-only driver would be appropriate for my DVHS-only recording setup. Apparently it must have worked fine, and I'm just still using it after all these years. No reason to tamper with success.
post #5501 of 6046 Old 02-21-2011, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorickm View Post

In case there are people reading this that don't know:
I found that if I turn off my DCT6412-P3 before connecting the firewire cable, it causes the PVR to power on, but it does not reboot and lose all the guide data. If it's on when I connect the cable, it reboots and I lose the guide data.

I don't know if this is the same for all models, but worth posting this reminder. I stumbled upon this after a few days. I'm sure it's been posted before but this thread is _really_ long.

Yes, this is the same on all of the DCT and DCH models 6412/6416/3412/3416

Always power down the cable box before plugging/unplugging the firewire cable or rebooting your PC or power-cycling your DVHS VCR (if it is tuned to the firewire input).
post #5502 of 6046 Old 02-21-2011, 08:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Well, the truth is that on some of the broadcast channels (particularly NBC), I'll often let the capture go as long as the show b/c I nearly never see glitching on those channels. But if I'm capturing one of my problematic channels (which has been AMC, IFC, FX, TBS, and Cartoon Network...though TBS may drop off that list after Comcast boosted the signal...I've been getting much better results and haven't tested the other problematic channels since the boost) I will always keep the capture time short.

Sigh!

TWC/LA has marked ALL channels other than the local networks as "copy-once", and they're also encrypted instead of clear-QAM.

So I can't tune to them anymore if I connected the coax directly to my HDTV (without a cablecard).

Also, I cannot offload from DVR to DVHS and go any further than that if I even wanted to! Yes, I can make DVHS copies "for posterity", but cannot make PC clips from those channels' programs if I had the desire.

And there is ZERO copy-freely content on network TV that I have any interest in preserving on PC any longer, aside from the occasional special award or performance show (e.g. the 2010 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show "made the cut", and I've even transcribed it commercial-free to titled/authored BluRay!) or the Olympics (which I normally keep on DVHS tape, also commercial-free).

But if it's copy-freely network TV (HD) I'm wanting to work with, I no longer have the need to even record it on my DCH3416 and offload to DVHS and then bring it into PC with CapDVHS.

I've moved on... technologically speaking.

I have both an ATI TV Wonder 650 PCI card (single tuner for OTA ATSC) and a Ceton InfiniTV (4-tuner cablecard enabled) for making recordings into WTV form under Win7/WMC. For local network recordings (e.g. the VS show I mentioned earlier) I use the ATI card, because the OTA ATSC signals are not re-compressed as TWC/LA is doing for the local networks! They are in "native bitrate" as put out by the local broadcast affiliates.

Since VideoReDo TV Suite v4 can read these copy-freely WTV files directly, that's how I've been starting. Before Win7/WMC and WTV (really the underlying MPEG-2 data streams in a WTV wrapper), I had WinXP and used BeyondTV, which produced MPG files (again, the underlying MPEG-2 data in an MPG wrapper).

But in both situations the recorded WTV or MPG files are "1st-generation" recorded directly from the tuner. I don't have to go through any transcription process involving copying from DVR to DVHS to PC, or even DVR to PC, where "glitches" are possible as a result of that copy process.

This means that what VideoRedo now gets to work with is just about guaranteed 100% glitch-free and perfect.

Finally, I've now got my "workflow" down for using multiAVCHD and IMGBURN, to make BluRay copies of any copy-freely network TV HDTV programs I care to preserve "for posterity".

Obviously the authored/titled BluRay disc approach (with zero re-compression in the production process, essentially just copying the original HDTV quality MPEG-2 data to BluRay with a very nice menu title/chapter/thumbnail system for beautiful navigation) is far superior to storing things on sequential tape and playing them back through a mechanical VCR that's guaranteed to break someday and which requires long FF/REW actions to navigate.

I am actually planning a [long] project of transferring my Olympics DVHS tapes to BluRay using this same approach. Since it's NBC and copy-freely content, I could transcribe the tapes to PC (with CapDVHS and WinXP), then edit properly with VideoRedo, and then author properly to BluRay with multiAVCHD (with zero re-compressions). This would make my past Olympics memories (like Beijing opening ceremonies) available on my own BluRay discs, which as we all know are FAR more user-friendly than DVHS tape anyway.
post #5503 of 6046 Old 02-21-2011, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I honestly don't know if there was a code change in A28 relating to the firewire interface. Personally I would have expected those changes to be in firmware, not Guide software, but maybe the relevant code is in both places.

I highly doubt any firewire code is in the guide update. I just meant the firewire code in the corresponding firmware update that was released with the A28 guide update.

Quote:

And I find myself recording from DVR to DVHS very very rare these days, since TWC has marked EVERY CHANNEL as "copy-once" making subsequent copies to PC impossible.

Holy crap!! I would drop Comcast in a heartbeat if every cable channel was marked copy-once. No exaggeration. If no other good alternatives existed, I'd get by using a Google TV device or some such. The day I can't reasonably make high-quality HD copies of cable or sat programming is the day they lose me as a customer. Period. (and no, archiving to a video tape is not acceptable in my book)

Quote:

Note also that I never record anything "live" from the DVR onto the VCR. My habit is simply to record something on the DVR, decide later than I want to keep it, and then subsequently eventually offload it to DVHS. So I'm only creating DVR->DVHS copies from previous DVR recordings, and never "live TV".

I do the same. All of my testing shows zero advantage to recording live. I always offload from DVR recordings.

Quote:

I've never owned a Mits DVHS machine, nor have I owned that 1st-generation 30K.

I love the Mitsubishi DVHS VCRs...they have a better tape transport than the JVC's. But the Mitsubishis lack an MPEG2 decoder, so I have to run them either through one of the JVC's or through my LG 3410 (just to use their MPEG2 decoder and then component video from there to my TV).

Quote:

I went from a 0th-generation Panny combo (DST50/PV-HD1000) and Dish HDTV Modulator to a JVC 40K, and now DT100U's (three of them). Perhaps the firewire recording stability and glitch-freeness has improved with later generation JVC machines.

I'll have to hunt around and see if I can find a DT100U. But I'd be surprised if the firewire code were at all different. Unlike with computers and cable boxes (which can have a network connection), these companies have to be 100% sure that they get it right the first time with devices that can't be updated by the consumer. I'm sure lots of testing went into it before being mass produced. And my DVHS VCR's worked just fine with the older firmware.

Quote:

I may have been having some problems getting things to work early on, learning about CapDVHS, etc., and thought going to a DVHS-only driver would be appropriate for my DVHS-only recording setup. Apparently it must have worked fine, and I'm just still using it after all these years. No reason to tamper with success.

No arguments here. I don't like to mess with success either.
post #5504 of 6046 Old 02-21-2011, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sigh!
TWC/LA has marked ALL channels other than the local networks as "copy-once", and they're also encrypted instead of clear-QAM.

That is just nuts...they'd probably do the same with the broadcast networks if not for the FCC outlawing that.

Quote:

So I can't tune to them anymore if I connected the coax directly to my HDTV (without a cablecard).

Well, never minding the copy-once 5c flag, some cable companies do some digital vudu in order to squeeze more channels into their limited bandwidth. So that may not be for the purpose of copy-protection...but if they are setting the 5c flag to copy-once, then that's just crappy of them.

Quote:

I use the ATI card, because the OTA ATSC signals are not re-compressed as TWC/LA is doing for the local networks! They are in "native bitrate" as put out by the local broadcast affiliates.

Yeah, I should do the same. I've noticed that the cable channel bitrates are significantly higher than the broadcast networks, due to recompression by the cable company.

Quote:

Finally, I've now got my "workflow" down for using multiAVCHD and IMGBURN, to make BluRay copies of any copy-freely network TV HDTV programs I care to preserve "for posterity".

Obviously the authored/titled BluRay disc approach (with zero re-compression in the production process, essentially just copying the original HDTV quality MPEG-2 data to BluRay with a very nice menu title/chapter/thumbnail system for beautiful navigation) is far superior to storing things on sequential tape and playing them back through a mechanical VCR that's guaranteed to break someday and which requires long FF/REW actions to navigate.

I also create quite a few BD's, for the same reasons you cite. And also because I find that Blu-ray players typically do a better job playing back HD material than a PC. They are dedicated video devices with no other purpose, unlike the relatively electrically noisy general-purpose personal computer.

Quote:

I am actually planning a [long] project of transferring my Olympics DVHS tapes to BluRay using this same approach. Since it's NBC and copy-freely content, I could transcribe the tapes to PC (with CapDVHS and WinXP), then edit properly with VideoRedo, and then author properly to BluRay with multiAVCHD (with zero re-compressions). This would make my past Olympics memories (like Beijing opening ceremonies) available on my own BluRay discs, which as we all know are FAR more user-friendly than DVHS tape anyway.

That's almost exactly what I do, except that I use Ulead DVD MovieFactory 6 (w/ the HD add-on Pack) or Nero 10. But the end result is the same: A BD with absolutely no re-encoding of the video or audio.
post #5505 of 6046 Old 02-22-2011, 01:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I'll have to hunt around and see if I can find a DT100U. But I'd be surprised if the firewire code were at all different. Unlike with computers and cable boxes (which can have a network connection), these companies have to be 100% sure that they get it right the first time with devices that can't be updated by the consumer. I'm sure lots of testing went into it before being mass produced. And my DVHS VCR's worked just fine with the older firmware.

Had to smile when I pondered this statement.

Yes, the JVC DVHS VCR's have probably had the identical firewire software in them since day one. It worked rock-solid back in the early 2000's, and it works just as solid today. There are some issues with the other software in the VCR when being fed input from firewire (e.g. the MPEG-decoder getting confused when you pause the VCR and then FF or 30-second skip forward or 15-second skip backward on the DVR source device to bypass commercials, causing a lip-sync problem from the VCR's audio/video or HDMI outputs to HDTV when you resume normal playback on the DVR if you were monitoring the VCR's output... although the data recorded to tape is still perfect and unaffected), but the firewire technology in these boxes has been text-book perfect from the start.

And, I mention, these boxes have ALWAYS been two-port firewire configured from the beginning. They actually moved one port to the front panel with the DT100U/DH5U, which is a very good thing for users, but they've always had two firewire ports.

I've experimented with three firewire VCR's (dual-port 40K and DT100U, and single-port PV-HD1000 at the end) daisy-chained off of the Motorola DVR as source, and with the second port of the DVR also connected to the i-Link input on my Sony 34XBR960. The boxes can be powered on or off, and it doesn't matter to their firewire capability. They still do their job as data-relay units, with source packets passed along (from input port to output port) until the data arrives at the target device destination (by logical device name, so you can't actually have two DT100U's or two 40K's, etc., since they appear to have the identical device name). You could record from any source (either the DVR or a VCR in playback mode) to any VCR recording source, anywhere in the non-loop firewire network. And the XBR960 could display content from any source device, no matter where it was in the non-loop firewire network.

In contrast, after 9 years of equally flawless firewire performance in the dual-port evolution of Motorola family of STB/DVR boxes (for both cable and FIOS), Motorola finally makes one seemingly innocuous but apparently rather significant change to the design and go to a single-port implementation, and seemingly screw the s*%$ out of the firewire interface firmware... FOR BOTH CABLE AND FIOS!!! AND THEY OBVIOUSLY NEVER EVEN TESTED IT!!!!

How could they release a whole new family of units, for cable companies and FIOS, and never even realize they'd broken something so fundamental as the previously working firewire interface... unless they never tested it???

Personally, I think there was room on the back of the DVR for a second 6-pin firewire port. If not, they could certainly have instead gone to two 4-pin "mini" ports instead of removing one port entirely, if space was really the driving issue.

Even more remarkable, after an entire year or more of these latest one-port boxes being out in the field (throughout the cable world as well as with FIOS) and with complaints about broken firewire known about since day one (for sure, they knew about it and acknowledged it last March here in LA when I got TWC/LA involved and Motorola came out to visit the lab and see a demo for themselves)... for them not to have been able to resolve it even after all this time, well it doesn't speak very highly for the programmers they've currently got employed.
post #5506 of 6046 Old 02-22-2011, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Even more remarkable, after an entire year or more of these latest one-port boxes being out in the field (throughout the cable world as well as with FIOS) and with complaints about broken firewire known about since day one (for sure, they knew about it and acknowledged it last March here in LA when I got TWC/LA involved and Motorola came out to visit the lab and see a demo for themselves)... for them not to have been able to resolve it even after all this time, well it doesn't speak very highly for the programmers they've currently got employed.
Yup. They clearly just don't care about firewire. And neither does the FCC, apparently. If the FCC gave a crap and got in their face about it, you'd see it fixed in a weekend. All it would take is one good programmer and a DVHS VCR.
post #5507 of 6046 Old 02-22-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
... for them not to have been able to resolve it even after all this time, well it doesn't speak very highly for the programmers they've currently got employed.
I really don't think the blame should be placed on the programmers. I think whoever's telling them what to fix and in what order should be blamed. Methinks that FireWire bugs are way low on the priority list.

Flicks? Here's my collection. And I've seen a lot, too.
post #5508 of 6046 Old 02-22-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSugino View Post

I really don't think the blame should be placed on the programmers. I think whoever's telling them what to fix and in what order should be blamed. Methinks that FireWire bugs are way low on the priority list.

I agree, but if memory serves DSperber has shown Motorola the problem first-hand. So Motorola obviously cared at least a little. They sent people out to gather info...I think DSperber also said they had him test a beta firmware meant to fix the problem (it didn't work at all).

If I had to guess, I'd say that Motorola outsourced the firewire stuff from day 1. Either that or a key employee responsible for it has since left the company...but the bottom line is that they now appear to have no internal expertise on it.

Management may have hoped they could throw an average (or below-average) programmer at the problem and get a fix. It clearly didn't work. And management may now be unwilling to pay the cost to outsource the fix to somebody with the required expertise. And, while I'm sure Motorola also employees some genius programmers that could ramp-up on the firewire issue and get-er-done, those types of employees will be jealously protected by their managers and directed to fix the highest-priority issues. Since firewire is used by a shockingly low percentage of customers, it will never be high-priority unless the FCC gets serious about enforcing their rules.

This is one case where only strong government oversight of free enterprise is likely to result in a swift resolution.
post #5509 of 6046 Old 02-23-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:

By this point, more than enough people have weighed in to prove that the DCH boxes no longer can be considered to have 100% reliable firewire recording.

With the A28 update and corresponding firmware, it's 90% reliable at best and dependent on several factors. Comcast engineers recently boosted my signal (which helped quite a bit for a few of my channels), but the firewire is nowhere near 100% reliable. The older firmware was not nearly so picky about the signal and gave 100% reliable firewire caps.

I can't agree with you that "pre A28" caps were 100% reliable, Mr. TNO821.

I've been cap'n stuff with the same Win XP laptop config since early 2007 on a couple of 6412's & currently on a 3416. Some of that early stuff went directly to an external HDD, so it was never scanned for "glitches" by VRD.

I recently resurrected some of that 2007/2008 stuff & low & behold, almost every one contains at least one "glitched" area, aka "temporal frame drop" in VRD. I will agree that the latest caps are MORE glitchy in MORE spots than those, but I don't think it's a new problem.

Also, I hope you're aware that even if VRD reports a "clean" cap, there could STILL be gtitchy areas that weren't bad bad enough to actually "break" the stream! The only way to find those is to actually WATCH the cap in VRD frame by frame.

I HOPE that my plan to build a HTPC with a Ceton card will FINALLY eliminate this FW baloney! The HTPC becomes the "DVR" & automatically caps what I want. VRD will then edit that file directly. Theoretically, no more "real time" caps, no more GLITCHES, no more RECAPS & no more PATCHING!

That's the DREAM, anyway!

See ya!
post #5510 of 6046 Old 02-23-2011, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

In contrast, after 9 years of equally flawless firewire performance in the dual-port evolution of Motorola family of STB/DVR boxes (for both cable and FIOS), Motorola finally makes one seemingly innocuous but apparently rather significant change to the design and go to a single-port implementation, and seemingly screw the s*%$ out of the firewire interface firmware... FOR BOTH CABLE AND FIOS!!! AND THEY OBVIOUSLY NEVER EVEN TESTED IT!!!!

It has absolutely nothing to do with the number of ports. The DCX series is an entirely different box than the DCT and DCH series. Motorola dumped the Broadcom SoC they had been using and went with an SoC from Conexant.

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net
post #5511 of 6046 Old 02-23-2011, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Guy View Post

I recently resurrected some of that 2007/2008 stuff & low & behold, almost every one contains at least one "glitched" area, aka "temporal frame drop" in VRD. I will agree that the latest caps are MORE glitchy in MORE spots than those, but I don't think it's a new problem.

True, but while it hasn't always been 100% perfect in the old firmwares, it's been very, very close. And some of your previous glitches may have been caused by a substandard signal strength. The important thing is that the latest bug causes *far* more glitching with a signal strength that would not have glitched on older firmwares.

I mean, when it's getting its glitch on, I sometimes see 70+ Video Resync Frames Removed and tons of Input Sequence Errors. I never saw anywhere even near that on the older firmwares. Ever.

I guess my point is that it is a significant increase and not just a case of me being an old fogey reminiscing about the good old days.

Quote:

Also, I hope you're aware that even if VRD reports a "clean" cap, there could STILL be gtitchy areas that weren't bad bad enough to actually "break" the stream! The only way to find those is to actually WATCH the cap in VRD frame by frame.

OK, but so far, even after extensive caps, I've yet to see one problem area that escaped VideoReDo's attention. And I have burned quite a few caps to BD and watched them at other peoples homes.

Quote:

I HOPE that my plan to build a HTPC with a Ceton card will FINALLY eliminate this FW baloney! The HTPC becomes the "DVR" & automatically caps what I want. VRD will then edit that file directly. Theoretically, no more "real time" caps, no more GLITCHES, no more RECAPS & no more PATCHING!

That sounds like a good idea. I may also go this route at some point.
post #5512 of 6046 Old 02-23-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1394 View Post

It has absolutely nothing to do with the number of ports. The DCX series is an entirely different box than the DCT and DCH series. Motorola dumped the Broadcom SoC they had been using and went with an SoC from Conexant.

I don't think anybody ever thought that the problem is that Moto went from having 2 firewire ports to 1. But it makes it easy to identify if your stb is going to have usable firewire.

Certainly the problem is that Moto changed chipsets and has thus far been unable to code working firmware for the new chipset. I just think that they don't have any internal employees with the requisite firewire mojo to make it happen.

You have a doctorate in firewire...maybe you could give them an assist
post #5513 of 6046 Old 02-26-2011, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I am trying to capture video from a Motorola DCH-3416 STB (Time Warner Cable in Carlsbad, CA) on a Dell Latitude E6400 laptop running Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3. However, I am getting a blue screen of death crash when hitting Record in CapDVHS.

Here is what I have done. I installed the drivers and software using "Cable_STB_Firewire_Capture_v2_for_32-bit_Win2000_XP_2003_Vista_Win7_2008.msi".

Before plugging the STB into the computer, the following drivers were already installed:
  • Network adapters -> 1394 Net Adapter -> Driver Version 5.1.2535.0 (Microsoft)
  • IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers -> OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller -> Driver Version 5.1.2535.0 (Microsoft)

After plugging the STB into the computer, the New Hardware Wizard found new hardware and did some sort of installation two separate times. CapDVHS was not able to find any capture devices, so I went into the Device Manager and discovered one question mark device. I chose to install a driver. In all three cases, it found the driver automatically, presumably from the Cable_STB_Firewire_Capture installation I did at the beginning.

After these driver installations, three new items were in the Device Manager:
  • Imaging devices -> Unknown IEEE 1394\\5068 Device -> Driver Version 1.0.130.1430 (Matsushita)
  • Imaging devices -> Motorola AV/C Panel Device (DCH-3416) -> Driver Version 1.0.130.1430 (Matsushita)
  • Imaging devices -> Motorola AV/C Tuner Device (DCH-3416) -> Driver Version 1.0.130.1430 (Matsushita)

Once these three items were installed, CapDVHS (D-VHS MPEG2 Transport Stream Capture v0.3.0.6) reported:
Motorola AV/C Tuner Device (Unknown Video #1)

However, as soon as I hit the Record button, I consistently get a blue screen of death crash:
STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xAB529CF4, 0xA12A5B84, 0x00000000)
ks.sys - Address AB529C4 base at AB525000, Datestamp 48025C12

After a reboot, error reporting to Microsoft refers me to the following:
"Troubleshoot a problem with a device driver. You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused Windows to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer."

I have also launched Movie Maker, but that also results in a blue screen.

There are two 1394 ports on the back of the STB. I have tried both with the same result, and I am not sure whether one is preferred over the other. Does it make any difference that the 1394 port on my computer seems to be intended for network connection, as opposed to video?

I am not sure how to proceed. PLEASE HELP!

Sony LCD Rear Projection TV Problems: informational web site
SPL Moxi FAQ: comprehensive guide to Moxi DVRs.
post #5514 of 6046 Old 02-26-2011, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinke View Post

I am trying to capture video from a Motorola DCH-3416 STB (Time Warner Cable in Carlsbad, CA) on a Dell Latitude E6400 laptop running Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3. However, I am getting a blue screen of death crash when hitting Record in CapDVHS.

I am not sure how to proceed. PLEASE HELP!

I think your issue may be that MS sort of broke firewire as of Windows XP SP2, and it remains sort of broken in SP3 (Vista works though).

You need to downgrade your firewire drivers to the version that shipped with Windows XP SP1 (5.1.2600.1106). Here's a link with directions: http://wwwx.cs.unc.edu/Research/nlm/...uments:1394fix
You want to download the .zip file that is at the top of that web page and follow the directions in the readme.txt file (I recommend following the "Simple procedure, manual downgrade:" directions)

*Note: I am not certain that using the WinXP SP2 or SP3 version causes Blue Screens of Death, so you could have other Windows health issues causing this. You may need to reinstall Windows XP or upgrade to the 32-bit version of Windows Vista or Windows 7.

I will try to test this today and see what my results are using the WinXP SP3 version of the firewire drivers. A BSoD does seem too extreme...I would plan for a reinstall if I were you.
post #5515 of 6046 Old 02-26-2011, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK...on second thought, you absolutely need to reinstall Windows!

I just ran a test in which I didn't even bother downgrading my WinXP SP3 firewire drivers and I was still able to capture with no problem.

And this test was performed on a machine that is far from pristine...an XP SP3 install that is several years old with tons of software installed on it. This was no fresh install test. It is, however, fully updated with all of the MS security patches, etc...I suppose they may have issued a firewire update, but the time stamps on my firewire drivers suggest otherwise.

So it looks like downgrading the firewire drivers may no longer even be necessary. (I still think it's a good idea, as I would guess other firewire devices may still need the downgrade).

The bottom line is that a BSoD points to other underlying problems which require a reinstall of the OS. Our situations look to be nearly identical: I have a DCH3416 and tested with a laptop loaded with Windows XP with SP3 (though my laptop is a Sony, not a Dell). I connected my 6-pin to 4-pin firewire 1394a cable to the Right firewire port on the back of the DCH3416 (it is the Left firewire port if you're looking at the front display panel). My firewire controller on my Sony laptop is a Texas Instruments controller.

*I feel that there is not a "correct" firewire port to use on the DCH3416. I get the same results no matter which one I use, though I normally use the left port (right if viewing the front panel). I've read info that one should be used instead of the other, but I think that was firmware-specific and no longer is accurate.

*****************Update*****************
I feel I should give more of a step-by-step for how I hooked my WinXP SP3 Sony laptop to the DCH3416:
1. I downloaded and installed the Cable box drivers .MSI install package
2. I powered off my cable box (note, just hit the power button and put it into Standby. There's no need to unplug the power cord)
3. I connected my Firewire 1394a 6-pin to 4-pin cable from the cable box to my laptop. The laptop was powered on and logged into Windows.
4. Windows plug-and-play detected the cable box and prompted me 3 different times about installing drivers. It asked if I would allow it to connect to Windows Update to find drivers, and each time I told it "No, go f*ck yourself" (or something similar). It then asked if I wanted it to automatically attempt to locate drivers already on my machine, or have me manually tell it where to look. I told it to automatically find the drivers on my machine (these drivers where loaded by the .MSI install in step 1). During this plug-and-play detection process, the cable box automatically powered itself on (this is related to a mild firewire bug in the cable box firmware code).

That's it. I then went to the start menu and ran CapDVHS, clicked the Rec button and it worked. It created the video file (with .ts extension, but you could rename it to .mpg if you wanted to) at the root of my C: drive.

**It is important to power off the cable box before connecting or disconnecting the firewire cable! (Step 2 in my directions) If you don't, you will crash your cable box and it will need to reboot (which often will not complete until you remove the firewire cable)...you will really hate it if this happens because the guide data takes freakin forever to populate!
post #5516 of 6046 Old 02-26-2011, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

TNO821, thanks so much for posting your suggestions. When you say "reinstall the OS," do you mean I need to start over from scratch and reinstall all of my applications and reset all of my settings, as well (as opposed to the OS "upgrade" selection)?

Your advice is most likely very sound--I just dread the process of restoring all of my applications and settings to their current condition. If that is necessary, perhaps I will create an image of my current drive and just restore that if a fresh OS reinstallation does not fix my Firewire problem.

post #5517 of 6046 Old 02-26-2011, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

TNO821, thanks so much for posting your suggestions. When you say "reinstall the OS," do you mean I need to start over from scratch and reinstall all of my applications and reset all of my settings, as well (as opposed to the OS "upgrade" selection)?

Unfortunately, yes. You need to reload the fresh OS (no upgrade) and reload all of your applications. I know it sucks, but your copy of Windows is ill, and nothing short of a full reformat and reinstall is likely to fix it...there's just too many possible different things that could be wrong with it and it would be hugely expensive and time-consuming to investigate all possibilities.

Quote:

Your advice is most likely very sound--I just dread the process of restoring all of my applications and settings to their current condition. If that is necessary, perhaps I will create an image of my current drive and just restore that if a fresh OS reinstallation does not fix my Firewire problem.

I would highly recommend this course of action. I know it's a huge pain in the ass and I wouldn't suggest it unless I was nearly certain it was needed. And your idea of making an image of your current install is a great one. After all, it is remotely possible that your computer isn't at fault...what if the firewire controller on your DCH3416 were faulty? (I highly, highly, *highly* doubt it, but it's possible). Also keep in mind that your firewire cable could be at fault...I really doubt it, but it could be. If you have any other firewire devices to test with (external hard drive w/ firewire, or a digital camera or camcorder with firewire), you could at least determine if the cable is OK, etc.

I'd be surprised if a fresh install of Windows XP with SP3 didn't fix things up. You could also try the 32-bit versions of Windows 7 or Windows Vista. I've captured plenty of stuff from the DCH3416 on all of those operating systems within the last month and a half.
post #5518 of 6046 Old 02-27-2011, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll have to give that a try in a few days when I have access to my Windows OS installer media. Meanwhile, I hooked my iMac to the DCH-3416, and I was able to capture video, so I think I should be able to make it work on the laptop (my iMac is not physically close enough to keep it connected by Firewire).

One more quick question, though, if you don't mind. Is it possible to record video from the recordings on the STB? I was able to record live TV, but all I got was a blank white screen with previously recorded shows. It recorded something, and the bit-rate was changing and consistent with what I would have expected, but it was just blank white on playback. Thanks for taking the time to offer your assistance.

post #5519 of 6046 Old 02-27-2011, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'll have to give that a try in a few days when I have access to my Windows OS installer media. Meanwhile, I hooked my iMac to the DCH-3416, and I was able to capture video, so I think I should be able to make it work on the laptop
If you used the same firewire cable, we now know that the cable box firewire port works and the firewire cable works, so that's awesome!

Quote:
One more quick question, though, if you don't mind. Is it possible to record video from the recordings on the STB?
Yes, you can record DVR content, provided they are not copy-protected with either the "5c" Copy-Once or Copy-Never flags. ON-Demand shows/PPV and premium channels are almost always protected. All of my other channels are marked with the 5c Copy-Freely flag. You can even record protected content markedwith the 5c Copy-Once flag if you buy a JVC DVHS high-def VCR...but then that content would be stuck on a video tape, which is highly inconvenient (I have 2 of these VCR's, but almost never bother with them).

Everything that I record is a DVR recording...I never capture from Live TV b/c you only get one crack at it. With a DVR recording, I can attempt the capture numerous times until I get it right.
post #5520 of 6046 Old 02-28-2011, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

You have a doctorate in firewire...maybe you could give them an assist

Maybe it's time to change my username. Looking back at my e-mails with JVC, I haven't really worked on 1394 since August of 2005.

BTW, with my development platform, I can capture streams 100% error free for hours and hours from a DCH3200 here on Comcast in Silicon Valley.

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net
Reply HDTV Recorders