How to record via IEEE 1394 (Firewire) to Windows XP - Page 186 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5551 of 6029 Old 03-12-2011, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for posting that TNO821. Unfortunately, it's not helping me much. As with the others here, I can record network shows with almost no glitches 100% of the time. However, even if I follow those instructions, I get many glitches in recordings from other channels. I checked my signal strength and the lowest I saw on the second tuner (which was consistently lower even on the same channel... must be an internal splitter) is 34.8 SNR, which is quite good from what I can tell.

I believe I have concluded at this point that the recording itself is the most important factor. Why do I say this?

1) Why do network recordings almost always work for everyone? My SNR wasn't any better. I also could get glitch free recordings before when I was never switching to SD channels.

2) One time I recorded a 2 hour movie from a non-network channel. It only had 2 glitches, which was a miracle. For whatever reason, I accidently screwed up and deleted the recording so I had to re-record it. Again, about 2 glitches.

3) At the same time, I have other recordings that I tried 3, 4 or 5 times and NEVER can get the number of glitches to change. Sure some are slightly lower, but it's almost impossible. And it's not because glitches are in the recording.

4) Glitches across recordings aren't in the same place but I think they are often 'correlated.' i.e. If I have a clitch at 5 minutes in one recording, I'm likely to have a glitch near there in the next recording.

With that said, sometimes I can get a good recording after a couple tries.. especially first thing in the morning.

I may try to get my signal up a bit higher or try unplugging the cable to see if that helps.

Thanks,
Chris

EDIT: One of my hypotheses is that the glitching issue has a lot to do with companies re-encoding the feeds to put 3 channels on a frequency... As far as I know, they don't reencode networks here on Cox in the OC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5552 of 6029 Old 03-12-2011, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlotkins View Post

Thanks for posting that TNO821. Unfortunately, it's not helping me much. As with the others here, I can record network shows with almost no glitches 100% of the time. However, even if I follow those instructions, I get many glitches in recordings from other channels.

That's interesting that the network channels capture much better. I see the same thing. I wonder if anybody gets any substantial glitching on the over-the-air network channels. It does suck that the method that I use isn't helping you...Does it appear to have any impact on the amount of glitching? For me, it truly is shocking that I ever see any glitches, provided I have religiously followed my "ritual" before recording any show. And if I have to record three shows in a row, I perform it before each (because the minute and 45 seconds that it takes to do that 3 times sure beats having to re-capture something).

Quote:

1) Why do network recordings almost always work for everyone? My SNR wasn't any better. I also could get glitch free recordings before when I was never switching to SD channels.

That's a good question, and I get the same result...even if I skip performing the ritual, OTA networks tend to capture glitch-free. One possible explanation is that the cable company re-encodes and reduces the bit rate...perhaps the lower bit rate isn't triggering the issue.

Quote:

2) One time I recorded a 2 hour movie from a non-network channel. It only had 2 glitches, which was a miracle. For whatever reason, I accidently screwed up and deleted the recording so I had to re-record it. Again, about 2 glitches.
3) At the same time, I have other recordings that I tried 3, 4 or 5 times and NEVER can get the number of glitches to change. Sure some are slightly lower, but it's almost impossible. And it's not because glitches are in the recording.

I'm not one to capture movies (I buy or rent them on Blu-ray). In fact, it is rather unusual for me to capture anything longer than a half hour. So it could be that longer captures would be glitchier for me...It does appear that the positive impact of switching both tuners to SD material and powering the STB off are extremely temporary. I would want to test capturing a 2 hour movie in 30 minute chunks, performing the tuner-switch/power off between each. When I've had really *really* bad glitching, I've had to capture in 5 minute chunks or less...in Dec I had a couple episodes of Conan (one of the few hour-long shows I sometimes capture) where I had to *really* micromanage the captures...it sucked balls, and I'm mostly unwilling to go to such lengths anymore.

And I agree with your observation that repeated capture attempts tend to result in similar levels of glitching (but in different spots). I had a couple of DVR'd shows from a few months ago that were simply epic in terms of the number of glitches they would cause...we're talking about 75 Input Sequence Errors and 40 Video Resync Frames Removed, etc. I could capture those things over and over and get similar results. I could leave them on my DVR for months, to the point where all my newest DVR'd shows were exhibiting far far less glitching, but those old recordings would still produce epic amounts of glitches. So, based on this repeatability, it's certainly something in the MPEG2 transport stream that is irritating the STB.

Quote:

4) Glitches across recordings aren't in the same place but I think they are often 'correlated.' i.e. If I have a clitch at 5 minutes in one recording, I'm likely to have a glitch near there in the next recording.

Could you explain this further?

Quote:

With that said, sometimes I can get a good recording after a couple tries.. especially first thing in the morning.

I also have found that early in the morning will often result in less glitching...I have no idea why.

Quote:

I may try to get my signal up a bit higher or try unplugging the cable to see if that helps.

Please do try the trick of removing the coax cable and let us know if it improves your capture results.

Quote:

EDIT: One of my hypotheses is that the glitching issue has a lot to do with companies re-encoding the feeds to put 3 channels on a frequency... As far as I know, they don't reencode networks here on Cox in the OC.

I've wondered about this too. But I have no technical expertise with how cable companies play with their channels and frequencies, etc.

Questions, Chris: When did you start experiencing these glitches? Was there a time when you were getting glitch-free captures? You mention the OC, so I
assume you're in SoCal (as opposed to the OC in New York). I'm in the South SF Bay area...I would think that Comcast has these two areas set up very similarly, but who knows.

Thanks for sharing. And if anybody else would be willing to share info about where you are, the type of glitches you're seeing (if any), and when those glitches (if any) started, it'd help us get a better understanding of this junk.
post #5553 of 6029 Old 03-21-2011, 05:40 AM

I am currently using a D* HR23-700 HD DVR STB to transfer 1080i HD programs to my PC HDD via the Hauppauge Colossus capture card, which uses the analog loophole for video (H.264 codec) and S/PDIF optical for audio (ACC or AC-3 codec)...all wrapped in a .TS, .M2TS, or .MP4 container.
  1. Does the CapDVHS utility use H.264 and ACC/AC3 (lossy) codecs? There is no readme file in the CapDVHS download, videohelp.com, or other sites as to how the data is being handled other than a TS file is created...and not much info in this thread.
  2. What codecs are in the TS container created by CapDVHS?

Since D* broadcasts all their media from LA and CO using (AFAIK) an encrypted GS format, how can the CapDVHS utility losslessly encode data from my D* STB when the native GS transmission from D* must be decrypted using their propriatary codecs within the STB? In addition, D* transmits data using the DVB-S2 standard, which is designed to be compatible with H.264/AVC and other formats but but not exclusive...and only some (mostly local) HDTV programming is compressed with H.264.

The native stream format for DVB-S2 is called

Generic Stream (GS) [with low-density parity-check (LDPC) code], and can be used to efficiently carry IP-based data, including MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 services. Ergo: D*'s native transmission is GS, the STB then decrypts it, and then CapDVHS captures the data via firewire to a TS file...how is this lossless or expected to render superior results over the Hauppauge card?
  1. Is the only advantage of CapDVHS hurdling the DAC-ADC lossy process?
  2. Is CapDVHS capturing decrypted native GS transmission via firewire and losslessly reencoding to TS to produce superior fidelity?...it seems to good to be true.
  3. Finally, if CapDVHS encodes lossy, how does it compare to the Colossus or HD PVR capture?
post #5554 of 6029 Old 03-21-2011, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
CapDVHS is not encoding anything, you can think of it more like a file transfer. It copies the transport stream in real time from the source (i.e. cable STB) to your PC. It is a lossless process because the stream is kept in the same MPEG2 video format. There's no conversion at all taking place.

I don't believe it can handle H.264 streams, someone else feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that.

The process you're using with the Hauppauge card is taking analog output and encoding it to H.264, so it's not comparable. I assume you're using component output? Does the STB you use even have a firewire port?
post #5555 of 6029 Old 03-21-2011, 10:48 AM

No Firewire in the D* STB, but may be interested in getting an STB service that does...and I have family and friends on cable. Would be interested to know any creative workarounds with the D* STB.

JLDIVE, thank you for clarifying the TS file. My previous searches under codecs, lossy, lossless, etc, did not reneder much results in this thread, but I found this topic covered earlier here regarding an advisement not to compress TS file with H264...meaning there are no compression codecs in the original TS. Sorry if there has been repetition as this thread goes back years.

On 10-10-10 (a "perfect ten" post?) TNO821 wrote:

There's no free lunch. If you want high quality high-def, the files are going to be rather large. I would suggest NOT re-encoding the video to h.264, as that will diminish the quality and, at best, you'll save maybe 30-40% on the file size (not worth it, IMO). Hard drives are amazingly cheap any more, so grab a cheap 1.5 TB drive and enjoy the highest quality high-def.

If you go the re-encode route, you're likely to end up with a far less impressive looking video file (like some of the crappy "high-def" avi and mkv on the net, many of which reduce the resolution to half of the original). Plus it takes a looonnnngg time for a computer to re-encode high-def video.

---------------------------
HR23-700 HD DVR specs

HDMI Outputs: 1

Component Outputs: 1 (YPbPr)

S-Video Outputs: 1

Composite Outputs: 2 (RCA type)

Digital Optical Outputs: 1

Digital Outputs: 1 (coaxial)

Stereo Outputs: 2 (L/R, RCA)

Satellite In: 2

Internal RF antenna: 1

Front USB: 1

Back USB: 1

Ethernet: 2

eSATA Port: 1

Phone: 1
post #5556 of 6029 Old 03-21-2011, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by junzi View Post

No Firewire in the D* STB, but may be interested in getting an STB service that does...and I have family and friends on cable. Would be interested to know any creative workarounds with the D* STB.

Check out 169time.com. They modify sat STB's, adding firewire output.
post #5557 of 6029 Old 03-21-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO821 View Post

Yeah-but can they even update new models?
Furthermore, why in gods name would anyone want to archive resolution reduced, bitrate starved, re-encoded material? HaHa......
post #5558 of 6029 Old 03-21-2011, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

Yeah-but can they even update new models?
Furthermore, why in gods name would anyone want to archive resolution reduced, bitrate starved, re-encoded material? HaHa......

Is the quality of all the sat services that bad?

I'm not sure which models they mod...I'm sure it's on their website.
post #5559 of 6029 Old 03-21-2011, 04:05 PM

How to get file off of DVR? RNG200???

I have an ex-Comcast (Cisco Model RNG200) DVR and would also like to copy shows and/or security cam recordings off it to the best possible of the following destinations (in no particular order):

1. VCR (then to later copy to DVD).
2. DVD harddrive/burner.
3. Computer harddrive (laptop with Win7 Pro OS).
4. Other?

There is a USB input on the front of the dvr, vcr inputs on back, and possibly other inputs (not too familiar with those).

I spoke to someone at Cisco on the phone and he suggested there was a support manual to be downloaded somewhere here on the Cisco.com website. Plus he said I could download some kind of software that would allow my laptop to "communicate" with the HD in the unit and basically copy/paste the files over to the laptop.

I should probably clarify that this was purchased from a "clearance sale" (I guess they were upgrading models given to customers and clearing out old stock). Help suggestions please? Anyone know the precise url where I can download the product manual, software, or whatever else I need?

Or, can someone please walk me through exactly what hardware, software, and procedures I need to be able to copy files from this DVR to my laptop or other device, and have them in a readable, familiar format (such as mpeg)?
post #5560 of 6029 Old 03-21-2011, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt3001 View Post

I have a Comcast (Cisco Model RNG200) DVR and would also like to copy shows off it to the best possible of the following destinations:

2. DVD harddrive/burner.
4. Other?

Forget about option 1...it would look awful.

Option 2 isn't great, as DVD is not high-def.

Option 3 is what you want, but only if your Windows 7 is 32-bit. 64-bit Windows can not be used to transfer the shows via firewire.

Option 4 could include buying a Hauppauge HD-PVR, or Colossus, or something similar that could capture high-def.

Quote:

I spoke to someone at Cisco on the phone and he suggested there was a support manual to be downloaded somewhere here on the Cisco.com website. Plus he said I could download some kind of software that would allow my laptop to "communicate" with the HD in the unit and basically copy/paste the files over to the laptop.

It sounds like he's referring to recording the file using IEEE1394a firewire, the whole point of this discussion thread.

Quote:

Also not sure why the one guy suggests you would be fined for opening the unit. If you don't damage anything or literally break open the unit, who would know and why would anyone care?

Well, that stuff is owned by the cable company, so they can dictate that you not open it...I don't have any experience with the Cisco STB's, but the Motorola STB's use a special anti-tamper tab and special security screws (you have to plan ahead and buy the correct screwdriver bit and security tab replacement, otherwise the cable company will know what you did...the fine is reportedly several hundred dollars).

You should:

1. verify that your Windows 7 is 32-bit. if it is 64-bit, you may want to consider reinstalling with the 32-bit release.

2. Buy a firewire IEEE1394a cable. You may also need to buy a firewire card for your laptop (some laptops, like my Sony Vaio, already come with a 4-pin firewire port...but many do not). Your cable box is required by law to have a firewire port on it. It is probably a 6-pin IEEE1394a port. Most laptops use a much smaller 4-pin connector. So you'd need to buy a firewire cable with a 6-pin connector on one end and a 4-pin connector on the other (make sure it is labeled as firewire "a", not "b"...it should say IEEE1394a 6-pin male to 4-pin male)

3. Download and install the firewire cable box drivers package from here

4. Connect the IEEE1394a cable from the back of your cable box to your computer and let Windows plug-and-play detect the drivers.

5. Have the cable box play the DVR recording that you want to capture.

6. On the computer, go to the Start Menu and launch CapDVHS. This utility emulates a DVHS digital high-definition VCR, allowing you to capture the MPEG2 .ts stream output by the cable box firewire port.

7. Click the Rec button in CapDVHS and wait until the show finishes playing.

8. Click the Stop button in CapDVHS to end the capture.

You'll have a .ts file that contains the exact quality of the original show. This can be burned to either a Blu-ray Disc (BD) or a DVD (which is called an AVCHD and only has room for much smaller amounts of HD material than a BD could store). MultiAVCHD, in conjuction with ImgBurn, is a free program that can put it on BD, AVCHD, or a USB thumbdrive that can be played by a PS3 or certain Blu-ray players.
post #5561 of 6029 Old 03-22-2011, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO821 View Post

I sent an email to them. It appears my STB is not supported...meaning I would have to get a new one?

Complete list of boxes compatible with 169time upgrade:
# DirecTV Sony SAT-HD200 and SAT-HD300
# DirecTV Zenith DTV1080 and HD SAT520
# DirecTV Hughes HTL-HD and HIRD-E86 and HIRD-E8
# DirecTV Mitsubishi SR-HD5 and SR-HD400
# DirecTV Toshiba DST-3000
# DirecTV LG LSS3200A
# DirecTV RCA DTC100
# DirecTV Proscan PSHD105
# DirecTV Phillips DSHD800R
# Free to Air Integra 912S and 815
# Free to Air Unity Motion HDR-1000A
# Dish Network or BellExpressVu or JVC 6000
# 4DTV or Starchoice GI / Motorola HDD200 or HDD201
...HDD200 also for some cable HD systems

List of boxes offered as Do It Yourself Kit upgrade:
# DirecTV RCA DTC100 or Proscan PSHD105. Click for install docs
# Dish Network or BellExpressVu or JVC 6000. Click for install docs
# 4DTV or Starchoice GI / Motorola HDD200 or HDD201. Click for install docs
...HDD200 also for some cable HD systems
...The Sony Sat-HD200 is different and not offered as a DIY kit
post #5562 of 6029 Old 03-22-2011, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by junzi View Post

I sent an email to them. It appears my STB is not supported...meaning I would have to get a new one?

Yeah, you'd have to get one that they support.

I haven't had sat service in a very long time (not since 1999), so I know nothing about any of the sat STB's.
post #5563 of 6029 Old 03-22-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Just in passing, unless I'm mistaken I believe that all of those old satellite receivers only supported MPEG-2 for HD. That's all that existed at the time they were produced.

So while the modifications by 169Time to tap off the decrypted data and pass it to the newly added firewire port (just as is done in the Motorola STBs/DVRs) is possible, the rest of the processing within the receiver for presentation to the decoding of the compressed data is untouched. And the rest of this internal logic only understands MPEG-2.

So these receivers still only support MPEG-2 channels, not the newer MPEG-4 datastreams. Of course, the datastream fed out over firewire is also the same MPEG-2 stream when the tuner's receiver is tuned to an MPEG-2 channel.

But MPEG-4 channels would not be supported by all of these older receivers, I'm quite sure (though I may be wrong).
post #5564 of 6029 Old 03-22-2011, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Just in passing, unless I'm mistaken I believe that all of those old satellite receivers only supported MPEG-2 for HD. That's all that existed at the time they were produced.

So while the modifications by 169Time to tap off the decrypted data and pass it to the newly added firewire port (just as is done in the Motorola STBs/DVRs) is possible, the rest of the processing within the receiver for presentation to the decoding of the compressed data is untouched. And the rest of this internal logic only understands MPEG-2.

So these receivers still only support MPEG-2 channels, not the newer MPEG-4 datastreams. Of course, the datastream fed out over firewire is also the same MPEG-2 stream when the tuner's receiver is tuned to an MPEG-2 channel.

But MPEG-4 channels would not be supported by all of these older receivers, I'm quite sure (though I may be wrong).

Maybe, maybe not. It depends on how the stream is handled. It MAY be that the processing is only done at the container level, so if it works with m2ts packets, then if newer hardware could be tapped, the old methods might work. But I kinda doubt it since all it takes is a quick google search for the engineers who develop these devices to find 169time and they surely know about this modification. Plus the overlords (MPAA Bosses) surely mandated the engineers disable this method. OTOH, some of the engineers themselves may have been 169time customers and provided alternative methods, maybe not so easy to find though?
post #5565 of 6029 Old 03-22-2011, 03:41 PM

I tried to install the firewire driver for windows 7 32bit that was posted in this thread,

Got this error: Installation ended prematurely because of an error
post #5566 of 6029 Old 03-22-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

Maybe, maybe not. It depends on how the stream is handled. It MAY be that the processing is only done at the container level, so if it works with m2ts packets, then if newer hardware could be tapped, the old methods might work.

Good point. Software updates may also make processing current.

Quote:

But I kinda doubt it since all it takes is a quick google search for the engineers who develop these devices to find 169time and they surely know about this modification. Plus the overlords (MPAA Bosses) surely mandated the engineers disable this method. OTOH, some of the engineers themselves may have been 169time customers and provided alternative methods, maybe not so easy to find though?

Some of those engineers may be active in this thread...and can't wait to stick it to the overlords.
post #5567 of 6029 Old 03-22-2011, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroybrown View Post

I tried to install the firewire driver for windows 7 32bit that was posted in this thread,

Got this error: Installation ended prematurely because of an error

Post the log file. I can use it to hunt down the problem.

You can force the Windows Installer to create a "verbose" log file by running the .reg file which you can download from here

This will force all Windows Installer transactions to be logged in your Temp folder. Installations will be logged, uninstalls will be logged, self-healing will be logged, patching will be logged, upgrades will be logged, etc. The log files go into daunting amounts of detail.

Go into your temp folder and sort by the "Date modified" column. The most recent .LOG file will be the one that you want. It will have a somewhat random name (my most recent was named MSIddc59.LOG).

**If you prefer to manually edit your registry, here's what you need to do:
1. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Policies\\Microsoft\\Windows\\ Installer
(I'm 99.44% sure that this Installer registry key exists even on a fresh Windows 7 machine...but if not, you may need to create the Installer key)

2. Create a string registry value named Logging

3. Set the data value of Logging to voicewarmup

Here's what it should end up looking like:

After doing this, try running the MSI again and post the log file (it will be kind of long, but I'll need it to attempt to diagnose the issue).
post #5568 of 6029 Old 03-22-2011, 07:31 PM

post #5569 of 6029 Old 03-22-2011, 07:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

100% correct. In other words, the 169time product is useless for DirecTV HD these days. Has been for years.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #5570 of 6029 Old 03-22-2011, 07:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I have an ex-Comcast (Cisco Model RNG200) DVR and would also like to copy shows and/or security cam recordings off it to the best possible of the following destinations (in no particular order):

2. DVD harddrive/burner.
4. Other?

There is a USB input on the front of the dvr, vcr inputs on back, and possibly other inputs (not too familiar with those).

I should probably clarify that this was purchased from a "clearance sale" (I guess they were upgrading models given to customers and clearing out old stock). Help suggestions please? Anyone know the precise url where I can download the product manual, software, or whatever else I need?

Or, can someone please walk me through exactly what hardware, software, and procedures I need to be able to copy files from this DVR to my laptop or other device, and have them in a readable, familiar format (such as mpeg)?

If the unit (or for that matter any and all cable HD DVR's) is not currently active, it will not work. For a cable HD DVR to function it must be active with the specific cableco/area that it was provisioned from. There is no way around this. You can't use it to record or playback anything.

And, Comcast has never, ever, sold any of their old cable boxes. Never. The unit you have belongs to them, regardless of how you got it, and is stolen property.

If you called Comcast and tried to have them activate the unit you have, they would flat out refuse. No US cableco will activate a cable box they did not directly supply. They may even find it as stolen in their list of hardware and take action against you.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #5571 of 6029 Old 03-22-2011, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroybrown View Post

Here's the log

Okay, it appears that the failure occurs when the MSI attempts to install the Windows 7 "legacy" 1394 firewire driver.

This could be due to something being out-of-whack on your computer, or it could be a change that MS may have applied to Windows 7 Service Pack 1.
*I have not yet tried to install this package on the SP1 release of Windows 7.

One thing you can try is performing a custom install and turning off the Legacy firewire driver for Windows 7. Here's how:

1. At the Welcome dialog, click Next
2. At the Destination folder dialog, click Next
3. At the Select Installation Type dialog, choose "Custom" and click Next
4. At the Select Features dialog, disable the "Legacy Firewire Driver for Windows 7 x86" feature.
5. Click Next until the installation commences

I think there's a fairly good chance that this will allow the MSI to install.

However, you'll need to manually have Windows 7 revert to using the "legacy" 1394 firewire driver (I'm not even sure if the SP1 release of Windows 7 allows for that. I'll have to set up a test, but it will not happen for at least a day).
This thread talks about how to manually select the legacy firewire driver. But, again, I've never tried this on the SP1 release of Windows 7...who knows what MS may have changed.
post #5572 of 6029 Old 03-23-2011, 07:03 AM

Changing to Legacy driver in the device manager worked, thanks for the help
post #5573 of 6029 Old 03-27-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:

2. DVD harddrive/burner.
4. Other?

FWIW I have not been successful with an RNG200 running SARA using Firewire. Hoping this will change when we get the new non-SARA guide.
post #5574 of 6029 Old 03-27-2011, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie460 View Post

FWIW I have not been successful with an RNG200 running SARA using Firewire. Hoping this will change when we get the new non-SARA guide.

What exactly have you tried and what were the results?
post #5575 of 6029 Old 04-17-2011, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
been fighting with my winhs system lately.

I have verified that its not my provider as I was able to capture from the STB on a different computer. I am getting the 800705AA and the stb documentation says I need to download this file http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...isplaylang=en# but everytime I try to run it on winhs I get an error that the version of windows you have installed does not match the update you are trying to install.

I had this entire system working once before but I had to re-install winhs.
post #5576 of 6029 Old 04-17-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post

I am getting the 800705AA and the stb documentation says I need to download this file http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...isplaylang=en# but everytime I try to run it on winhs I get an error that the version of windows you have installed does not match the update you are trying to install.

I had this entire system working once before but I had to re-install winhs.

When I've seen this error message, it has generally been due to the installation of a goofy "filter driver" that screws up the FireWire. If you can figure out what software is at fault, an uninstall of it might fix it, but you are very likely going to need to reinstall WHS (keep a disk image handy for quick future reinstalls). The fact is that software installation/uninstallation is the leading cause of Windows instability (particularly when drivers, even "filter" drivers are involved: 75% of Windows crashes are caused by buggy non-Microsoft provided drivers).

You may be getting the message about that MS update being for a different version of Windows b/c it does appear to be for Windows XP. WHS is a flavor of Windows Server 2003. Try to search for the same update for Windows Server 2003.
post #5577 of 6029 Old 04-18-2011, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easydvd View Post
I have the same problem, please help.
Same problem as what? Windows Home Server giving an error 800705AA when you click the Record button in CapDVHS?

Anybody experiencing this error needs to do the following:

1. Power-cycle your cable box. I have run many, many FireWire tests involving both computers and DVHS VCR's hooked to my cable box, and there are (rare) times when the FireWire on the cable box can "lock up". When this happens, the only solution is to unplug the cable box power cord for about 30 seconds. You should also reboot your PC.

2. If the first suggestion has no effect, you need to reinstall Windows. It is very likely that you have a software/driver conflict that is screwing up your FireWire capturing. You could try uninstalling some software, but that is likely a waste of time (software uninstalls are notorious for not cleanly removing everything, hence the general wisdom to reinstall Windows on a semi-regular basis)

You may also want to consider "downgrading" your FireWire drivers to the version used by Windows XP SP1. I haven't done this on Windows Home Server and haven't found it necessary in my case, but here's some directions: http://wwwx.cs.unc.edu/Research/nlm/...uments:1394fix
You should download the .zip file that is at the top of that web page and follow the directions in the readme.txt file. I recommend following the "Simple procedure, manual downgrade:" directions.
post #5578 of 6029 Old 04-30-2011, 12:39 PM

Got recording working on Win 7 (32 bit) by following earlier instructions:

1. Unplug power from the STB
2. Find the 1394 host device in the Device Manager and Update Driver actually downgrade to the Legacy driver)
3. Reboot the computer
4. Plug the STB back in and let it boot up
5. Connect the STB to the PC via firewire cable
6. Install the appropriate STB drivers (I used the zip from http://home.comcast.net/~exdeus/stbfirewire)

My confusion was the legacy driver--I thought it said "download" -- the choice is there when you choose to update the driver.

If any of you are having problems with Win 7, 32 bit, you should consider the above.

The only issue--and its small but I want it perfect! is when I x-out of the CapDVHS program I get a Runtime error 204 at 0040279C. Does not effect anything, but would be nice to put a stop to it if anyone has any ideas.

And BTW--anyone who is running 64 bit, the best solution is simply by a cheap Dell laptop (dual core--I used a D620 successfully) off E-bay with XP installed (or install it) and use that to record shows--you can buy them for under $300. You can choose a network drive (I would hook the laptop up with ethernet rather than wireless) and record it directly to whatever computer or drive you want (I record to an IOBox that is on my home network). To me that's a much better solution then buying a separate recorder because you can use the laptop for a lot of other purposes.
post #5579 of 6029 Old 04-30-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmulder View Post

The only issue--and its small but I want it perfect! is when I x-out of the CapDVHS program I get a Runtime error 204 at 0040279C. Does not effect anything, but would be nice to put a stop to it if anyone has any ideas.

That seems to be "normal". I get the error on Vista too.
post #5580 of 6029 Old 04-30-2011, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Strange. I don't get any error at all when I close out of CapDVHS on either Windows Vista 32-bit or Windows 7 32-bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmulder View Post

My confusion was the legacy driver--I thought it said "download" -- the choice is there when you choose to update the driver.

I think you're confusing the Windows 7 "legacy" FireWire driver with the downgrade to Windows XP w/SP1's FireWire driver. They are two totally different things.

My above instructions which say to download a .zip and follow the "Simple procedure, manual downgrade:" directions is referring only to people who are using Windows XP (w/SP2 or SP3) or Windows Server 2003/Windows Home Server. The FireWire drivers that Microsoft included with Windows XP w/SP2 - Windows Server 2003 are known to cause some problems for certain FireWire activities. Anybody who is using Windows Vista or Windows 7 has no need to pay any attention to those directions.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page