How to record via IEEE 1394 (Firewire) to Windows XP - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 6030 Old 11-26-2004, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So even with my TV tuner card plugged into my DVR box, and I directly recorded a movie on a digital channel, it's not gonna work? Also, can I transfer movies I recorded from HBO that are ALREADY on my DVR hard drive, to my PC? Or will it still not read them because of 5C?

OK, I downloaded the files in the first post, then I plugged in my firewire cord, and my PC rebooted by itself. When it was back on, I tried removing it, it rebooted again. I switched to a different firewire port, and I was able to avoid the reboot once, but there was no Hardware Found wizard coming up. So then I tried removing again and it rebooted. Can someone tell me how to manually open the hardware wizard or something? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 6030 Old 11-28-2004, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tall1
Dude, if you are not planning to upgrade to HDTV I am confused why you chose the 6412 as a recording option?

Because it is the only DVR option available by my Cable company.

I wish I could get the 6412 to stretch the image correctly in 480i like my DVD does (anamorphic) since my TV will unstretch it. But, it doesn't have that capability. Sigh

Virtual reality is better then real reality - David
post #543 of 6030 Old 11-28-2004, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Also, can i transfer movies I recorded from HBO that are ALREADY on my DVR hard drive, to my PC? Or will it still not read them because of 5C?

If u read my previuos post, i been dumping all premium material to pc via firewire. In fact, i am doing the starz world premium ROTR3-Return of the king now in HD. I wouldn't be able to do that in the past with 6208.fw.7.15 due to 5c. It must be a major flaw somewhere with current 6412 fw9.12, That's why i said load it up before comcast fix it.

Quote:
OK, I downloaded the files in the first post, then I plugged in my firewire cord, and my PC rebooted by itself. When it was back on, I tried removing it, it rebooted again. I switched to a different firewire port, and I was able to avoid the reboot once, but there was no Hardware Found wizard coming up. So then I tried removing again and it rebooted. Can someone tell me how to manually open the hardware wizard or something? Thanks.

Mine does the opposite, when xp posts, it reboot the 6412. I don't know the what's the issues, i don't see this with previuos 6208fw7.15. But i have so fine with this as long it doesn;t keep me from capdvhsing to pc. Just remember to unplug the IEEE when start window. (Restart 6412 is a pain by the way, guide take hours to load). Besides, i got too many IEEE devices in the loop. 2x6412, Mits 1100U and JVC 40k DVHS, can't really tell which is the trouble maker here

Check ya bios setting and it's XP right?, see if IEEE ports are enabled and make sure all IEEE are working properly. if only u have IEEE device to confirm....
post #544 of 6030 Old 11-28-2004, 12:26 PM

I have the Comcast box plugged in, and the right firewire cord. I've checked Device Manager and everything is enabled and SHOULD be working properly. So is it maybe possible Comcast disabled the ports around my area (Chicago subarb)? That's the only thing that could be wrong, because I've checked, and my firewire ports are enabled and perfectly fine.
post #545 of 6030 Old 11-28-2004, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

don't restart xp or power/on/off 6412 at anytime while firewire remain connected, that's the flaw with 9.12 i believe. Once restart and ieee is in place, it kicks the other off. The temp solution is to unplug the ieee when restart windows. Once it's posts, load into desktop, put the connection back in. If you power/on 6412, wait for 3-5 minutes before plug in ieee to xp. If not, it crashs xp. I'll taking advantage of the issue to get premium recording, so i can;t complaint that it does....

If ya ieee is not actived, i doubt it crashed ya xp then? so it's actived plus you have the 9.12 right??

I just connected my 2nd 6412 to 2nd pc and it works just fine in the loop, i can copy premium hd to xp as well. So it's not just one unit flaw.
post #546 of 6030 Old 11-28-2004, 04:59 PM

I have 9.12 and my firewire ports ARE activated, yes. It doesn't seem to be the DVR box that's the problem then. So, I either need to play around with the cable like you said, or I installed something in the first post wrong.
post #547 of 6030 Old 11-28-2004, 09:10 PM

ok, i got it all set up and am excited to say that i am successfully recording streaming tv. woo hoo

well anyway i still really want to just copy the files that are already there directly from my 6208 to my laptop, any suggestions?
post #548 of 6030 Old 11-29-2004, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

so u know, it's not copy and paste.
HIt play on the moto, hit record on capdvhs. it captures whatever that' playing on the source.

2 hours movie will take 2 hours to transfer, live or existing record
post #549 of 6030 Old 11-29-2004, 07:48 AM

I finally got this working or at least half way. I finally got my HTPC (XP Home SP2) to recoginize the DCT6200 via firewire. I'm not getting any audio though. I can play DVDs and PVR analog TV via SageTV and get sound out but when I load VLC I don't get any audio out.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
post #550 of 6030 Old 11-29-2004, 01:12 PM

I've tried everything with the 1934 cable, the PC isn't detecting the 6412. I have the right firmware, I have CapDVHS running when I plug in the 1934 cord, I have had the 6412 on for more than 5 minutes after plugging the cable in, my firewire ports are enabled, and we're pretty sure it's not the 6412. So what could be the problem?
post #551 of 6030 Old 11-29-2004, 01:13 PM

I've tried everything with the 1934 cable, the PC isn't detecting the 6412. I have the right firmware, I have CapDVHS running when I plug in the 1934 cord, I have had the 6412 on for more than 5 minutes after plugging the cable in, my firewire ports are enabled, and we're pretty sure it's not the 6412. What does MeidVHS do? I did download and extract it, but should I be extracting it to a specific place or doing something else with it? If not, then I don't understand what the problem could be.
post #552 of 6030 Old 11-29-2004, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Capdvhs has to start after IEEE in place. If not, it won't see anything.

when you start capdvhs, does it see unknown video#1(assuming you have only 6208>pc.? Mine see #1-#4 cause i got 2x6412, 1xjvc40k and 1xmits1100u. Then select the # over capdvhs, hit record while the show is playing over 6412. One cute thing about it, once you figure out which # is belong to what devices, you just change the # for recording.

When i first connect the IEEE without the driver even in place, xp see all devices being connected, from dct6412 to jvc40k and it named them correctly. But it's not going to work without the driver. But i don;t think it makes any diff. BY the way, i used sp1.

if you like to reinstall, delete all devices that being installed over IEEE(tuner av device) at system device on ya XP. Disconnected IEEE before restart xp...wait till it settle at desktop. connect IEEE and reinstall again and make sure you follow the instruction correctly. I missed a step on the first time and nothing was showing over # selection.
post #553 of 6030 Old 11-29-2004, 07:29 PM

OK, I did EXACTLY what you said, but every time I reboot, let it settle at desktop, and plug the cord in, the PC reboots. So it's impossible to do without the PC rebooting. When I do this, should the cord be plugged into the 6412? Should the 6412 be on? When I do this, I do have it plugged into the 6412 and it is on.
post #554 of 6030 Old 11-29-2004, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

yes, let the 6412 be on. It does't matter which end is on as long as one of them is not connected when power on/off (power cord) 6412 or restart xp

ya IEEE may have share IRQ with other device that create conflict causes the reboot. If that not the case, you have any IEEE devices being installed on that pc before?

you mentioned the other ieee port does nothing when you plug it in right? Something doesn't sound like with ya mobo.

I used xp sp1 on both machine, none of them generate this reboot problem.
post #555 of 6030 Old 11-29-2004, 08:20 PM

I have never used a firewire port for anything, this is the first time. Actually, both ports do the same thing. And I'm on SP2.

EDIT: OK, I got it so it wouldn't reboot finally, by plugging in the cable to the 6412 about 20 mins after the reboot. Still, the PC nor CapDvhs detected the 6412. I've tried both of my firewire ports, both of the 6412's ports, so I'm completely out of ideas now. Can you tell me what Meidvhs is? I have that downloaded and extracted to My Documents but I don't know what it's for or if I need to do something with it. The only other thing I have is CapDvhs, and I ran it AFTER I plugged everything in like you said. Well, that's me out of ideas. If you can't think of anything else to do, I'll try switching my box without the one downstairs to see if that hooks up. If not, it's got to be my PC.
post #556 of 6030 Old 11-29-2004, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

hhhmmm....oops. sp2, that i can't help. No comment. I still on sp1 over work and home...hee hee. i take no risk.

meidvhs is the driver you need to install over xp to get them moto-capdvhs to work. I guess you really not much of a pc guy. if you get the firewire part to work, once it recognize it and ask for driver. You have to follow the instuction over the very first post and point the driver to meidvhs folder. Of course, i assume you have replaced one of the file as suggested by instruction to be used with moto at that point.

could it be sp2? i am not sure, buddy. if you have 2nd box, it wound't hurt to try
post #557 of 6030 Old 11-29-2004, 09:13 PM

Well, basically, it doesn't matter whether I have meidvhs or not if the PC doesn't detect the 6412, correct? If that's the case, then I'll know the problem lies either with the 6412 or my PC.
post #558 of 6030 Old 11-29-2004, 09:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Scar, since you say that you've not tested your firewire ports at all before, I suggest that you try some other FW device, such as an external HDD, DV camera, iPod, etc., to see if the ports on the PC work as expected. Then, assuming that the PC sees the other device(s), you'll know that the 6412 is the bad actor.
post #559 of 6030 Old 11-29-2004, 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Scar
Well, basically, it doesn't matter whether I have meidvhs or not if the PC doesn't detect the 6412, correct? If that's the case, then I'll know the problem lies either with the 6412 or my PC.

You should have the 6412 turned on and the firewire cable plugged into it. Plug the other end into the PC. You should get a message that new hardware is detected. If you don't then there is something wrong with either your PC, the 6412 or the 1394 cable.

Meidvhs is the driver that allows the PC to understand the 6412 as a streaming video device. The PC should see a number of of different hardware pieces. The Meidvhs is only for the streaming video. Follow the directions exactly to make sure you install the Meidvhs for the right piece of hardware, otherwise it won't work.

Also, don't forget to replace the one file in the Meidvhs directory. This makes it work with the 6412.

CAPDVHS only sees video streaming devices you have installed. It is not reading the 1394 directly.

I hope this helps.

Virtual reality is better then real reality - David
post #560 of 6030 Old 11-29-2004, 11:25 PM

Okay, first, I unfortunately don't have another cord to test out for my DV camera. I will buy a 6pin/4pin cord to test it out tomorrow as well as a new, different brand 6pin/6pin cord for the 6412 to the PC. I have everything correctly installed, I've went over your posts and the directions countless times. I've done exactly the methods told to me to get the PC to read the device, but I get nothing. Even when the PC doesn't reboot. So I think it could be the cord. If the new cords don't work tomorrow, I will try the other 6412. If that doesn't work, I will be bringing my PC in to the guy that built it to take a look at it. Thanks guys.
post #561 of 6030 Old 11-30-2004, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

scar, before you go through all the trouble and time.....

Getting Transport file to play effortlessly on you pc is another story, it's much diifficult and complicated than setting the capdvhs right. Yet, it's not glitch free and it does require powerful pc to load and search in middle of transport file. But depends of file size or broascast channels, some just choke on seeking. The great part of all, you can't transfer the file back to 6412 for playback, 6412 doesn't support that. So, you can't simply use pc as storage DVR for 6412, If that's the intention.

That's why i drop pc in the first place even i spend tons of money to built a media sever and a FX51 box tweaked for dvd/hd play back to my projector.

The reason i get back to it because
One.... it's fun and i tend to get bored with electronic toy if it's too simple. .

Two, it's funny how i can trick 6412 to transfer premium hd into pc and i love doing that.

Three, i can capture the image file from playback those hd movie and it's worth dying for. The 'beauty of snake' is now at my desktop wallpaper over the new dell 20" 2005 WD monitor. it;s definately wow effect all over again. it's stunning!!

if you get want to do analog recording, does the capture card not working for you? instead of going through all the trouble
post #562 of 6030 Old 11-30-2004, 08:00 AM

Well, I have a powerful PC, athlon 64 3200+, 1 gig ram, Radeon 9800 256mb. I was hoping I could use the PC as storage, yes. I will be getting a new capture card for christmas. Can I record stuff from the 6412 through the capture card with S-Video? Because that's what the capture card will have.
post #563 of 6030 Old 11-30-2004, 08:13 AM

Anybody have any thought on why I can get video but no audio?

In my HTPC setup I can get analog and digital audio to play, I just can't get any audio from my CAPVHS recorded files.

Thanks!
post #564 of 6030 Old 11-30-2004, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by LaVike
Anybody have any thought on why I can get video but no audio?

In my HTPC setup I can get analog and digital audio to play, I just can't get any audio from my CAPVHS recorded files.

My guess is that your playback software isn't handling the AC3 audio stream properly. What playback software are you using? If not one of the DVD players (WinDVD, PowerDVD, TheaterTek) you could try one out.
post #565 of 6030 Old 11-30-2004, 10:26 AM

I'm using VLC to playback the .ts files. Are there problems with this approach and getting audio out?
post #566 of 6030 Old 11-30-2004, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I've not used VLC, so I don't know about its configuration. It should be able to handle AC3 streams but you may need to install the appropriate filters. Check what it says about the active filters when you play the file to see if it says it's using AC3, which is certainly what the TS file contains.
post #567 of 6030 Old 11-30-2004, 11:50 AM

zeroendless, I'm brining my PC by the guy who built it later. He has a PC shop. Anyway, he'll check out the ports and test them to see if they're OK. If they are, he'll give me a new firewire cord that he knows works. Then I'll come home and try it, if still nothing, I'll try the other box that's downstairs.
post #568 of 6030 Old 11-30-2004, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm brining my PC by the guy who built it later. He has a PC shop. Anyway, he'll check out the ports and test them to see if they're OK.

You didn't mention much of ya pc spec, if you seeing you shrink later, connfirm ya mobo or ieee card(if seperated pci card) works fine with sp2.

if not, somebody chime in if moto 6xxx works with sp2?
post #569 of 6030 Old 11-30-2004, 12:51 PM

Works fine with Win MCE 2005 (which has SP2) for me... I just wish I could get playback a bit smoother!
post #570 of 6030 Old 11-30-2004, 07:57 PM

Okay, I'm back. There's nothing wrong with the PC or the firewire ports. I've bought a new cord and it doesn't cause the PC to reboot. The bad news is, it's still not detecting the 6412.

EDIT: It WORKS. Everything is going ok so far. I'm at the point where i select the driver. There is a slight problem. I pointed it to the meidvhs folder that I extracted and put the new file in, but it didn't work with that. Here's what I don't get from the first post:

C:\\meidvhs\\ ( The path of where you extracted the core_driver.zip.)

What is core_driver.zip? I only got meidvhs and there's no such file in there. So I don't know where else the drivers are it wants. I've tried twice now with the Meidvhs folder, and it doesn't work with that. Capdvhs won't find anything. Help is appreaciated. Thanks.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page