AVS Forum banner

How to record via IEEE 1394 (Firewire) to Windows XP

3M views 6K replies 1K participants last post by  m. zillch 
#1 ·
First let me thank Timecop for discovering this process. He started a
thread a long time ago that became just too long and confusing so hopefully this will help.

This method should work for most 1394/Firewire enabled tuners. It has been tested on the Mitsubishi Integrated TV's, SA3250HD, Motorola 620X (with firmware 7.10 or higher), and the Samsung T165. *Please list your tests and I will update* This method will not allow you to capture 5C encrypted content, *see below for details* This method captures the original Transport stream sent by your provider, so if it is sent with DD 5.1 then you will capture DD5.1. This method only works with Digital channels, analogue cable channels will not work.

This method does not allow you to transfer shows already recorded on your HD DVR
only live TV.

You will need some drivers. Follow the link and Download firestb.msi.

If the link is bad, PM me and I'll fix it.

First device drivers. There are more MCE specific items included in the package, if you are using using XP then you only need the driver. You may also want to play with the channel changing software, which works on both XP and MCE. There is now a beta Vista Driver as well.
http://home.comcast.net/~timmmoore/w...0Firewire.html

For drivers only, there is a driver package that is continually updated to support new STBs, and there are some differences in how the drivers are loaded. If you have issues install the firestb drivers, it can be used with firestb instead of the drivers included with its installer.
http://home.comcast.net/~exdeus/stbfirewire/

There are a few pieces of software that I know of that can capture using these drivers, Capdvhs, DCTrecord and MCE using the included software.
http://www.yamabe.org/soft/CapDVHS0306e.zip
http://home.comcast.net/~brzez2/dctrecord.html

Now that you have everything you need.

Install firestb.msi, if you are using MCE, install the components you want. If you are running XP then at the very least install the "Firewire Drivers" component, you won't be able to double click on it, you will have to use a different command to skip the MCE required screen. Now you can just choose the driver.

Code:
Code:
MSIEXEC /i firestb.msi IDENT=0
Click continue anyway a the signed driver screen.

Plug in the 1394 cable.

Found new hardware wizard will come up.

Keep hitting cancel until you see "Tuner AV/C Device" or "Tuner AV/C Panel" as the hardware that was found. Install both like any other device.

Then Choose Install the software automatically (Recommended).

Click Next

Keep clicking Next.

Then click Finished.

Click cancel on any other devices that are automatically detected.

I would go back into Device manager and disable the other devices so windows doesn't keep looking for drivers on reboot.

Now open CAPDVHS and a device should be listed under capture device.

Under settings I have the following boxes checked.

Convert 188 bytes

Check PTS

Delete to SyncByte

I use .ts for all my file extensions and I left the file name format to the default.

Select the "Data Info." tab and hit the "Rec" Button.

You should see the info populated.

Hit stop and check your file.
Elecard works well for playback or Sasem OnAir Editor or VLC

or http://theatertek.com/

To play with zoomplayer check this thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=395039

**Now you change the channel via 1394 and use with MCE see the readme for complete directions.
http://www.thegreenbutton.com/commun...ssageID=104152

**Attention this is a recording thread. For playback issues please check out the home theater PC forum . **
For conversion help check out this guide.
http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/index.html

The files captured from this process are the same as from most HD PC recording techniques and playback issues are the same. Please don't post in here asking how to get smooth playback. There are plenty of discussions in the correct area on that topic. Also please don't ask how to convert to DVD, or any other conversion question. There are plenty of thread dedicated to that topic also. This thread is already too long to read, and I appreciate everyone helping out by staying on topic.

**Added 5/26/04 **

To watch live HD without capturing first.

Open VLC v7.2 *might work with other versions.

Choose "File" > "Open Capture Device"

To the right of "Video device name" click "Refresh List" Then choose "Panasonic MPEG2TS Tape Sub" from the drop down.

Click "OK"

Just a word of advice if I hit "Configure" or "Advanced Options" It blue screens my computer.

This seems to be much more resource intensive than watching a captured file. My AMD 2600 works at ~83% if I don't resize or any other effect. Any effect drives it to 100%.

You can also setup a shortcut to run VLC with the parms for picking up the stream automatically.

Target:

"C:\\Program Files\\VideoLAN\\VLC\\vlc.exe" "dshow:// :dshow-vdev="Panasonic MPEG2TS Tape Subunit Device" :dshow-adev="" :dshow-size="" :no-dshow-config "

Start In:

"C:\\Program Files\\VideoLAN\\VLC"

*Thanks to E Jackson*

Troubleshooting

If you can't load the driver, go over the directions again and again, make sure you don't miss any steps. It does require you to force XP to accept the drivers.

If the driver is loaded but the files are 0bytes after recording. Then you may have the driver loaded improperly or your cable company may have copy protection(5C) enabled. Try a different channel or search the original thread for someone who lives near you to see if they are having the same problem. You may also be able to reboot the Tuner. It is impossible to record content marked copy once, because it is protected from multiple copies. Typically if your provider is encrypting, than the only channels you would be able to record are the channels that are also available over the air.

**Added 2/6/06**

Changed drivers to the above. Added channel chaning support.

**Added 3/18/05**

If you have XP SP2 and you can't get it to work see this post.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...13#post5315313

**Added 2/22/05**

If you have a Motorola 620x Check this post to see if that channel is 5C protected. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...86#post3855086

If you have a SA DVR with Passport
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...80#post4617480

If you have a SA DVR with SARA
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...67#post4613067

You may also have the wrong firmware version for the Motorola 620x, to check this.

To check firmware on Moto 6200:

Menu- Setup- Cable Box- See Configuration- one of the entries on that page is Firmware. * Thanks drbenson*

If you are using a Motorola 620X with an older firmware you may need to replace your Meitape.inf from the zip file with this one. Try the original one first.
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~balaz...es/Meitape.inf

**Updated link to firestb.zip** 7/12/07

This is V.04 of this document please post corrections and suggestions.

See less See more
#4,728 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz /forum/post/14658820

Your best bet is to give up now. SA boxes are pretty much useless when it comes to recording Firewire in Windows, so any continued efforts will likely accomplish nothing except wasting your time.

lol well thats good 2 know...

so whats my best bet in getting this to work.. invest in a better DVR? ask my cable provider for something newer/nicer?

i would like to make the most use out of my dvr box.. coz the amt of storage they have on there is next to nothing...

#4,729 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maanitrules /forum/post/14659329

lol well thats good 2 know...

so whats my best bet in getting this to work.. invest in a better DVR? ask my cable provider for something newer/nicer?

i would like to make the most use out of my dvr box.. coz the amt of storage they have on there is next to nothing...

While I can't tell you how to get your SA 8300 (HD, I'm guessing) to dump via firewire -- I had mine dumping already recorded programs using GrafCorder to capture, but now I get unplayable files -- I can suggest a way to increase the amount of storage. I have Comcast (and Adelphia previous to the takeover), and since I signed up in Sept. 2005 I've been using the external SATA port on the DVR. I bought a 350 GB drive and an enclosure ($30 maybe) and it's worked great. In fact, it outlasted the original DVR, which died about 3 weeks ago.

So, call your cable co. and make sure they've enabled the eSATA port. One caveat though:

eSATA drives are keyed to each DVR. They can't be switched around, and if your DVR dies and you get a new one, you'll be forced to reformat the eSATA drive, thus losing all recordings. Yes, that certainly does suck ;-)

Which brings us back to dumping via firewire: it's a great way to make backups. You could try Fonceur's GrafCorder. It's not too hard to set up, and it may work for you. I'm not sure why mine stopped producing playable files. I did have to reinstall the SA 8300HD as a device on the PC after having it disconnected for awhile, but I did manage to figure which firewire port on the DVR was active (the one furthest from the power socket). It may be the two shows I tested were protected, though I'd never had that problem before (even with HD), or it may be some config issue. I've not had time to investigate more thoroughly.

Your other, less-than-ideal, method for backing up shows is to use the DVR's Copy To VCR function. I tend to use this method, recording via S-Video and the stereo audio OUT jacks to a Hauppauge PVR-350. The loss of signal quality makes me want to keep messing with firewire, but at least things can be backed up.

HTH.

#4,730 ·
So anyone know why a program cannot be created to remove the 5c encrpytion from a recorded stream. It seems if the data is able to be transfered to the pc there must be some type of decryption that can be done to it. Ive also noticed a few channels seem to put encrpytion in only parts of movies as some of my caps worked for 15 min, then 20 min of nothing, then another 15 min.

#4,733 ·
You could use the Hauppauge HD recorder to record from component outs. 1080i and if you use a high bitrate the PQ is good (but not equal to uncompressed firewire recordings)

#4,734 ·
I am running Vista 64bit and when I plugged in the firewire cable from my COMCAST Motorola STB to my computer and tried to install the drivers from this how to guide...
http://home.comcast.net/~exdeus/stbf...#_Toc185690664

The following happened:

* When I tried doing the advanced setup my STB showed up as an Unknown Device under Device Manager.

* When I tried to install the drivers and navigated to the directory that had the drivers it did not recognize the drivers so therefore I was unable to install drivers.

Is there anyone else having this problem and how can I get this to work?

Thanks in advance for help!!!

SOM

#4,737 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM /forum/post/14667139

So I am stuck until someone develops a driver for Vista 64bit? If so then that stinks!!!

Thanks,

SOM

Or set up a small partition on your hard drive to boot into xp or regular vista or MCE and use it just to download movies to your harddrive. Once they are on the hardrive pop back into vista64 and use it. Not the best solution but at least it's not difficult or a dealbreaker.

#4,738 ·
TimHuey,

I am working on a plan B. I have my old but still fast XP machine near my new one so I am going to try and set it up. What was weird when I connected my STB via firewire to my XP machine was the AVC/Panel or AVC/Tuner option was not popping up as new hardware. Which firewire port should I use on the STB? Is it the one closest to the power cord? In my Device Manager there was only one item and it was an unknown IEEE device? Should my Motorola STB have shown up as a device in my Device Manager even before I installed the drivers?

Thanks!!!

SOM

#4,739 ·
One more question...

For years I used the following process to record from my STB to my PC via Firewire:

HowTO record via 1394/Firewire to WindowsXP

First let me thank Timecop for discovering this process. He started a

thread a long time ago that became just too long and confusing so hopefully this will help.

This method should work for most 1394/Firewire enabled tuners. It has been tested on the Mitsubishi Integrated TV's, SA3250HD, Motorola 620X (with firmware 7.10), and the Samsung T165. *Please list your tests and I will update*

You will need some software. Download these and unzip.

First device drivers. These are not specially made for your device.*See directions that follow*
http://www.ntut.edu.tw/~s7310308/htm...ore_driver.zip

If you are using a Motorola 620X you will need to replace your Meitape.inf from the zip file with this one.
http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/...es/Meitape.inf

There are currently two pieces of software that I know of that can capture using these drivers, Capdvhs and DCTrecord.
http://www.yamabe.org/soft/CapDVHS0306e.zip
http://home.comcast.net/~brzez2/dctrecord.html

Now that you have everything you need.

Plug in the 1394 cable.

Found new hardware wizard will come up.

Keep hitting cancel until you see Tuner AV/C Device as the hardware that was found.

Then choose Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)

Click Next

Choose Don't Search. I will choose the driver to install.

Click Next.

Uncheck Show compatible hardware

Click Have Disk

Under Copy manufacturer's files from: put

C:\\meidvhs\\ ( The path of where you extracted the core_driver.zip.)

Click OK.

Make sure that Show compatible hardware is unchecked.

Under Manufacturer choose. Panasonic

Under model choose. Panasonic D-VHS AV/C Device

Click Next.

An Update Driver Warning will open choose Yes

A Hardware Installation window will open warning that the driver has not passed Logo testing. Choose Continue Anyway

Click Finished.

Click cancel on any other devices that are automatically detected.

I would go back into Device manager and disable the other devices so windows doesn't keep looking for drivers on reboot.

Now open CAPDVHS and a device should be listed under capture device.

Under settings I have the following boxes checked.

Convert 188 bytes

Check PTS

Delete to SyncByte

I use .ts for all my file extensions and I left the file name format to the default.

Select the "Data Info." tab and hit the "Rec" Button.

You should see the info populated.

Hit stop and check your file.

Elecard works well for playback or Sasem OnAir Editor or VLC

To play with zoomplayer check this thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=395039

**New** 5/26/04

To watch live HD without capturing first.

Open VLC v7.2 *might work with other versions.

Choose "File" > "Open Capture Device"

To the right of "Video device name" click "Refresh List" Then choose "Panasonic MPEG2TS Tape Sub" from the drop down.

Click "OK"

Just a word of advice if I hit "Configure" or "Advanced Options" It blue screens my computer.

This seems to be much more resource intensive than watching a captured file. My AMD 2600 works at ~83% if I don't resize or any other effect. Any effect drives it to 100%.

Troubleshooting

If you can't load the driver, go over the directions again and again, make sure you don't miss any steps. It does require you to force XP to accept the drivers.

If the driver is loaded but the files are 0bytes after recording. Then you may have the driver loaded improperly or your cable company may have copy protection turned on. Try a different channel or search the original thread for someone who lives near you to see if they are having the same problem. You may also be able to reboot the Tuner.

You may also have the wrong firmware version for the Motorola 620x, to check this.

To check firmware on Moto 6200:

Menu- Setup- Cable Box- See Configuration- one of the entries on that page is Firmware. * Thanks drbenson*

This is V.01 of this document please post corrections and suggestions.

I hope this makes it easier.

Ignorance is Bliss

Ben

www.tampahdtv.com

Last edited by bdraw on 05-27-04 at 03:16 AM

My question is since the 1st page of this post has been updated and suggests using the firestb.msi as the driver if you have XP then how do you get the firestb.msi drivers installed? Do you do it when you first connect your STB or do you install them even before connecting the STB? If you need to install before connecting then how do you do it? I have seen a reference to a command prompt but I have no idea what this means.

Please help!!!

SOM

#4,740 ·
I installed using the old meitape.inf method which has worked in the past. My computer recognizes my STB. I have the Panasonic unit listed in my CapDVHS program but when I try and capture it nothing shows up in the data field. It has frozen my TV picture when I tried to capture. I did a diagnostic check of my STB based on this link: http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/index.html and I found some weird stuff. My 1394 is enabled but not active even though my PC is interfacing with my STB via Firewire. I then checked the channel I am on through the diagnostic and there is no 5C Implementation and Copy Control is set to Copy Free. Does anyone know what can be wrong here?

This is my last chance.

SOM

#4,743 ·
Well, just picked up my firewire card and cable today. Unfortunately my luck has me running into some major issues here.

Got an SA8300HDC running Mystro here,version 2.4.10.11.

The only devices that are picked up are two unknown devices and if installed they show up as 'Unknown IEEE 1394/5068 Device' and 'Unknown IEEE 1394/989 Device'. This is installed through the firestb inf file of course. No Panel or Tuner device show.

Now I have searched this thread and others have 8300HDC boxes with Mystro and have gotten it to work just fine, some have worked exceptionally. So I don't know what's wrong with my setup here. I have even checked the box diagnostics and the firestb driver on the box itself is loaded and enabled.

Running XP SP3 here btw., generic VIA based firewire chipset pcmcia card.

#4,744 ·
Today I tried capturing a live HD program from a Explorer8240HDC and boy, does it not work.

The recording starts, doesn't really record anything and then comes up saying Vista will look for a solution to the problem and close the program. Everyother time I open it, I get a Samplegrabber error in CAPDVHS.

Has anyone gotten a Explorer 8240HDC to work properly via IEEE 1394? Anyone know of another way to get the HD program off the device.

#4,746 ·
Tonight I tried recording Heroes on NBC from my Verizon DVR. All the info coming from CapDVHS seemed right, along with the file size. But what I get is unplayable files that are glitchy (random pixelation and screen tearing, skipping audio) and fail to play smoothly on any media/software. Is this a form of copy protection or something else?

#4,747 ·
Probably not. More likely it has to do with your settings in CapDVHS and or playback software. What software player are you using? (Hopefully not VLC, I have had great luck with Elecard MPEG player).

Also it your hard drive is slow and/or fragmented the drive may not be able to keep up, essentiall resulting in lost packets. Hopefully you are not using a laptop with a 4200 rpm hard drive?

#4,748 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd /forum/post/14720916

Probably not. More likely it has to do with your settings in CapDVHS and or playback software. What software player are you using? (Hopefully not VLC, I have had great luck with Elecard MPEG player).

Also it your hard drive is slow and/or fragmented the drive may not be able to keep up, essentiall resulting in lost packets. Hopefully you are not using a laptop with a 4200 rpm hard drive?

Weird stuff, my pc must've been a bit wonky last night. Today I was able to play back the DVR'd eps and successfully record them. They play great.

Now my next problem is, when I try to join them in HDTVtoMPEG2, I get files that play back with no video at all. Any ideas?

#4,749 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscan /forum/post/14727085

Weird stuff, my pc must've been a bit wonky last night. Today I was able to play back the DVR'd eps and successfully record them. They play great.

Now my next problem is, when I try to join them in HDTVtoMPEG2, I get files that play back with no video at all. Any ideas?

Get http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm

It will fix it.

#4,750 ·
Anyone think VideoReDo will help with this problem...

I'm a Comcast customer and recently had to swap a dead Sci-Atl 8300HD for a new one (same model, same version of SARA). The new box appears to have both Firewire ports active, as I've done clean installs of exDeus's drivers from both ports (all four devices - Tuner, Panel, 2x Unknown - are in XP's Device Manager). I had been using GrafCorder with great success when dumping existing recordings (I've no need to record live/buffered programs).

Now when I try test dumps using recordings from various channels (some HD, some SD, all digital; we still have analog sources in the 2-99 range) GrafCorder is getting something, as a file of many MB is created. When I try to watch it in Media Player Classic I get "Cannot render the file." VLC wont play them either. When I look at one in GSpot 2.70a it says unknown type, whereas previous captures from the original 8300HD are identified as:

File Type: MPEG-2 Transport Stream

Mime Type: video/mp2t

I've tried both firewire ports on the 8300HD and both output something. My guess is that the "new" DVR is the problem. Is it worth further experimentation, in particular attempting to run a small recording through VideoReDo? FWIW I have Womble's Video Wizard DVD and it won't open the file, which does not bode well for VideoReDo from my admittedly limited POV.

Any other ideas? I'd sure love to dump some things off the new 8300HD.

TIA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.