post #5791 of 6029 Old 12-04-2011, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post

I should have specified that I don't know what else to use to record from an STB via firewire. For OTA and clear QAM I have a solution I'm very satisfied with: 2 dual HDHomeRuns talking to an old, slow, single-core HTPC with a MyHD card for playback and 5th tuner if needed, all scheduled with CW_EPG. Other than experimenting, the only things I record often from the STB are Daily and Colbert (to find out what's happening in the world and what I should think about it, respectively;-) and I have several chances at those including online the next day.

For your solution I'd need an HDHomeRun Prime (~$230), Win 7, a computer fast enough to run it and a CableCARD monthly rental. Then I'd have to wade through all the problems I've read that 7MC has with getting all the available channels on cable (it's flummoxed by a lack of PSIP data) and put up with 7MC saving in a proprietary format that can only be played on the computer that recorded it or through an authorized extender (more money). No, thanks. If I subscribed to premium movie channels I might think differently but for now I'll settle for what I can record and play freely.

Depending on your thirst for alternatives to CapDVHS and your techincal capability there are severl options:
1) Good old CapDVHS
2) Sage TV - I think this runs on Windows and supports firewire (maybe not out of the box though)
3) TSReader - Pro at least. That is how I used to cap exclusively on windows.
4) Compile Microsoft DVHS sample application.

1 = free
2 = ?? Not sure you can buy it anymore, but could likely get used copies.
3 = $$ Money well spent in my opinion
4 = free if you already have MS Visual Studio or SDK and know how to use it.

Non Windows alternatives:
Mac = Download the firewire SDK and use AVCVideoCap. free 32 & 64 bit support.
Mac = FireRecord free. http://www.ammesset.com/firerecord.html
If you have an apple computer with a firewire port (intel/ppc) try it out.

Linux:
??Sage??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5792 of 6029 Old 12-04-2011, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

Depending on your thirst for alternatives to CapDVHS and your techincal capability there are severl options:
1) Good old CapDVHS
2) Sage TV - I think this runs on Windows and supports firewire (maybe not out of the box though)
3) TSReader - Pro at least. That is how I used to cap exclusively on windows.
4) Compile Microsoft DVHS sample application.

1 = free
2 = ?? Not sure you can buy it anymore, but could likely get used copies.
3 = $$ Money well spent in my opinion
4 = free if you already have MS Visual Studio or SDK and know how to use it.

Thank you for this, qz3fwd, I've been wondering what to use when I move to Win 7 Pro 64-bit.

Since IIRC CapDVHS only works on XP.

But I can't afford $399 for TSReader Professional. Would neither the (free) Lite or ($99) Standard versions of TSReader capture via firewire?
post #5793 of 6029 Old 12-04-2011, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I can't get by with 32-bit Windows 7 on my Dell XPS notebook, because I use the extra memory (8GB) for my work with SolidWorks. I'd be open to a dual-boot setup, but the EULA says we can't install both with the same key.

I'm building a new PC on the back of some great Black Friday deals, but I'm having no luck getting Win XP installed on it with no floppy for the proper RAID drivers required to work with the motherboard (ASUS P8Z68-V PRO).

My son gave me a bootable USB drive with 32-bit Windows 8 for developers on it, so I'm installing that on a new partition of my new build right now. I'm curious if it might work for firewire capture using the drivers for 32-bit Windows 7. Anybody have any insight on that?
post #5794 of 6029 Old 12-04-2011, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluxon View Post

I can't get by with 32-bit Windows 7 on my Dell XPS notebook, because I use the extra memory (8GB) for my work with SolidWorks. I'd be open to a dual-boot setup, but the EULA says we can't install both with the same key.

I'm building a new PC on the back of some great Black Friday deals, but I'm having no luck getting Win XP installed on it with no floppy for the proper RAID drivers required to work with the motherboard (ASUS P8Z68-V PRO).

My son gave me a bootable USB drive with 32-bit Windows 8 for developers on it, so I'm installing that on a new partition of my new build right now. I'm curious if it might work for firewire capture using the drivers for 32-bit Windows 7. Anybody have any insight on that?

Well, never mind. Dealing with Windows 8 Developer put me back to ground zero and now I'm starting from scratch again...
post #5795 of 6029 Old 12-05-2011, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote2 View Post

Thank you for this, qz3fwd, I've been wondering what to use when I move to Win 7 Pro 64-bit.

Since IIRC CapDVHS only works on XP.

But I can't afford $399 for TSReader Professional. Would neither the (free) Lite or ($99) Standard versions of TSReader capture via firewire?

The TSReader standard version works just fine for firewire capture, I use it all the time, great to be able to see any capture errors in real time.

Mike T
post #5796 of 6029 Old 12-05-2011, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post

For your solution I'd need an HDHomeRun Prime (~$230), Win 7, a computer fast enough to run it and a CableCARD monthly rental. Then I'd have to wade through all the problems I've read that 7MC has with getting all the available channels on cable (it's flummoxed by a lack of PSIP data) and put up with 7MC saving in a proprietary format that can only be played on the computer that recorded it or through an authorized extender (more money). No, thanks. If I subscribed to premium movie channels I might think differently but for now I'll settle for what I can record and play freely.

Not sure you really need to upgrade a PC just to record cable. I guess if it won't run Win7 at all, you would.

FWIW, I have no issues with 7MC getting all the channels. And I was specific in limiting this to FiOS as for the most part they flag all content copy freely, with the exception of the premium movie channels, so you can watch recorded shows from any HTPC on your network, no need for extenders.

And VideoReDo opens the saved programs just fine, so they are convertible to a standard format/container if you so choose.

The HomeRun Prime was only $170 on Black Friday.
post #5797 of 6029 Old 12-05-2011, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtallent View Post

The TSReader standard version works just fine for firewire capture, I use it all the time, great to be able to see any capture errors in real time.

Mike T

+1. Its really usefull to see when transport or continuity errors occur in the stream. I just wish there was a mac version since I mainly use OS-X now and miss TSReader.
post #5798 of 6029 Old 12-05-2011, 04:00 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
qz3fwd:
Thanks for the suggestions. For me, recording from firewire is more of an experiment than a need (though it would be great if CW_EPG supported it) so I won't be throwing much money at it. But I've used TSReader Lite for years and I'm tempted to buy the cheapest version just so I won't have to exit and restart the program to change channels. I've used TSRL with VLC to watch from Firewire, but the Lite version limits that to a minute.

I'm not going to move to Apple although I've read that's the best way to move shows between a computer and an LG 3410A DVR (which I have but don't use much anymore).

I have a fast computer with Linux on it (Mythbuntu 11.10) but I don't really know my way around Linux or MythTV yet. But I'm learning. I know what "sudo" means and why nearly every terminal mode incantation has to start with it. MythTV appears to support firewire recording from an STB, complete with channel changing, but I don't have that working yet.
post #5799 of 6029 Old 12-06-2011, 12:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I've essentially thrown in the towel and conceded. Too many problems, too many limitations, too difficult, too cumbersome, etc., etc.

My solution is simply not to go this route in order to get a recording/program or clip preserved in pure digital form (which is something I still want to do every so often). Instead, I've installed 2 TV tuner cards in my PC and use WMC (Win7 x64) to record the programs direct to WTV. ATI TV Wonder 650 PCI for OTA/ATSC and roof antenna, and cablecard-enabled Ceton InfiniTV for TWC/LA coax cable (no SDV to complicate things in my area, thankfully).

If the programs are copy-freely, then I can read/edit the WTV files with VideoRedo and save as either (a) AVI for PC clips, or (b) authored BluRay using multiAVCHD/ImgBurn. If the programs are copy-once (as virtually all channels are here in TWC/LA) I can only watch the programs on my HDTV's (via extenders around the house).

If a want to record something "for posterity" that is copy-once, I am forced to go the DCH3416->DVHS tape route, as I still have a DCH3416 for exactly that reason. But I have not actually used it for recording anything in a long long time. However I'm hesitant to give it up because it actually has a functioning firewire interface unlike the new DCX boxes, and I'm afraid I'll never be able to get another DCH3416 as they retire the equipment.

The DVR->DVHS approach has ALWAYS been available and still works fine, for both copy-once and copy-freely. And I do indeed have a large DVHS tape collection of programs archived in this way.

But alas, I have simply conceded to "the power of the Suits" (at least in TWC/LA) in DRM-protecting things today so that my goal of being able to archive anything to say BluRay media instead of DVHS media is just not going to happen.

However putting TV tuner card(s) in my PC has at least allowed me to do anything I want with copy-freely recordings, and never again have to deal with the obstacles of firewire transfers, CapDVHS, one-at-a-time recordings in real time, etc. I've invested many many hours over the years trying to deal with firewire recording objectives and difficulties... but I'm finished.
post #5800 of 6029 Old 12-07-2011, 09:34 AM

This maybe saves me some trouble, since I've had a mind to transfer my JVC-HMDH40000U Olympics dvhs video to Blu .. for some time now, scouring these pages. That is unless someone nails a Win7x64 (or x32) straightfoward procedure and feels particularly generous in the future
post #5801 of 6029 Old 12-07-2011, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky01 View Post

This maybe saves me some trouble, since I've had a mind to transfer my JVC-HMDH40000U Olympics dvhs video to Blu .. for some time now, scouring these pages. That is unless someone nails a Win7x64 (or x32) straightfoward procedure and feels particularly generous in the future

Win32 is pretty straightforward.
Step Uno. Install ExDues driver package or use DSuperb's package. Roll back MS firewire stack to XP version if necessary.
Step Dos. Download CapDVHS.
Step Tres. Double click CapDVHS, push play on DVHS deck. Click record.

Alternatively I think you can just use the TSReader firewire module?
Step Uno. Download TSReader, install it and select the firewire module. click record.
I dont think TSReader needed the drivers in the previous scenario?
post #5802 of 6029 Old 12-07-2011, 02:10 PM

Appreicate the reply ...
post #5803 of 6029 Old 12-07-2011, 02:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Download TSReader, install it and select the firewire module. click record.
I dont think TSReader needed the drivers in the previous scenario?

True about no need for the drivers.

However TSReader Lite has a 1-minute limit on recording. You need at least the "standard" edition ($99) to have no limit.

Also, I've not tried to use TSReader in a Win7 environment, because I only have x64. Don't know if it will work in Win7 x86, though it was obviously written to work in WinXP x86,
post #5804 of 6029 Old 12-07-2011, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I like OS X for firewire capping. Very reliable and simple to setup for either 32 or 64 bit.
This shows capping directly off my TV.
LL
post #5805 of 6029 Old 12-08-2011, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO821 View Post

...You can download my FireWire MSI installation package version 3, which works with everything from Windows 2000 - 32-bit Windows 7.

I just finished a long overdue new build based on Black Friday sales and have both Win 7 32-bit and Win 7 64-bit installed on it. I even slipstreamed the proper AHCI driver on a XPSP3 CD in case I need that as well.

Anyway, I've seen you comment that you can capture the live stream from your Comcast DVR, but not pre-recorded programs. I almost never capture live, so I wanted to make sure the lack of prerecorded capture functionality was not related to your installation package. If it is, do you know if the old XP method (exdeus) of setup will work with 32-bit Win 7 as well?

Thanks!
post #5806 of 6029 Old 12-08-2011, 11:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Anyway, I've seen you comment that you can capture the live stream from your Comcast DVR, but not pre-recorded programs. I almost never capture live, so I wanted to make sure the lack of prerecorded capture functionality was not related to your installation package.

The problem is entirely related to the DCX-family of boxes, where the firewire recording functionality is entirely broken... including for recording from DVR to DVHS VCR.

This recently discovered workaround of "live only from DVR, or from STB" of actually being able to record "live" programming to PC if you're very careful to set up the STB just so before starting your recording... it's a very very special case. Obviously it's been a major disappointment for several years now that the firmware problem in the DCX boxes which prevents reliable firewire recording has simply still not yet been corrected by Motorola (despite MANY firmware upgrade releases, the birth of the "M" models for multi-room, etc.).

If you have an older DCT/DCH model of Motorola DVR, you're home free. You can record anything copy-freely that you want to by firewire (to PC or DVHS VCR), live or previously recorded.
post #5807 of 6029 Old 12-10-2011, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I completely agree with DSperber and am nearly certain to soon give up on FireWire capping altogether.

It is a huge pain in the ass that I simply no longer enjoy. I feel there is no more interesting stuff to be learned and the only thing that could make things good if if Motorola (I guess Google, now) gets off their ass and fixes the firmware bugs.

I captured one show last night from my DCH, and that's the only cap I've made in a week. It had a few small glitches, but only during an ad break...so I count myself lucky to have it be one-and-done.

If I even decide to continue caring about capturing this stuff (I really am weary of it and truly don't think I'd miss it if I quit cold-turkey), I will almost certainly go the Tivo route. Failing that, I'd go the Win7 WMC route. (I'd go Tivo first just to check it out...it does sound like it has legendary, clever logic that records stuff that you'll enjoy and perhaps wouldn't find without it).

Before I give up on it though, I'll certainly test out Windows 8 32-bit and make sure that my .MSI driver package is good to go on it.

I am at this point 100% convinced that FireWire capturing on Windows 7 32-bit can be every bit as reliable as capturing on Windows XP 32-bit. And I expect the same to be true with Windows 8 32-bit. All of our problems stem from shoddy Firmware/software from Motorola Mobility (Google).
post #5808 of 6029 Old 12-11-2011, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe if someone gets in contact with a high enough ElGoog executive they can ask them to pretty please have santa clause get the Motorola programmers to fix the firewire stack to be functional on the newer hardware as a christmas present.

I imagine it would likely not take them long once a bigwig gives them the order, as I presume they are very hierarchical, like most large companies, and only need to prioritize it appropriately? (Unless of course it is a hardware problem at which point all users are SOL)

As I understand it the Google acquisistion includes the DVR business?
post #5809 of 6029 Old 12-15-2011, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I completely agree with DSperber and am nearly certain to soon give up on FireWire capping altogether.

It is a huge pain in the ass that I simply no longer enjoy. I feel there is no more interesting stuff to be learned and the only thing that could make things good if if Motorola (I guess Google, now) gets off their ass and fixes the firmware bugs.

I captured one show last night from my DCH, and that's the only cap I've made in a week. It had a few small glitches, but only during an ad break...so I count myself lucky to have it be one-and-done.

If I even decide to continue caring about capturing this stuff (I really am weary of it and truly don't think I'd miss it if I quit cold-turkey), I will almost certainly go the Tivo route. Failing that, I'd go the Win7 WMC route. (I'd go Tivo first just to check it out...it does sound like it has legendary, clever logic that records stuff that you'll enjoy and perhaps wouldn't find without it).

Before I give up on it though, I'll certainly test out Windows 8 32-bit and make sure that my .MSI driver package is good to go on it.

I am at this point 100% convinced that FireWire capturing on Windows 7 32-bit can be every bit as reliable as capturing on Windows XP 32-bit. And I expect the same to be true with Windows 8 32-bit. All of our problems stem from shoddy Firmware/software from Motorola Mobility (Google).

A little over 3 years ago I purchased 2 TiVoHD's and put 750 GB (Seagate DB35's) drives in them and they've overcome virtually every hurdle I ever had with capturing from Comcast DVRs. They even combine my OTA and Cable lineups for me. Since then, I've just had one of the 5-year warranty drives go bad and it was readily replaced by a 1TB drive.

The primary advantage to holding onto the Comcast DVRs is for when the 4 tuners of the 2 TiVos are booked and I want to channel surf (like during football season). The other - but less significant - benefit of the Comcast DVRs are in the event I might want to do something crazy like record 10 or 15 tiny segments from a 3 hour show or something. Capturing such segments via firewire takes far less time and considerably less disk space than transferring from the TiVo, but it's not that big a deal. It would be even less of an issue if some TiVo guru would figure out how to PC transfer just from the "paused point" of a show like is done in room-to-room sharing.

Back to capturing from the DVR with CapDVHS, does anybody have a good understanding of what kind of hurdles have to be overcome in order to achieve the same breakthrough in 64-bit Windows that was at one time made with 32-bit Windows? Is the primary reason for no breakthrough a lack of interest or motivation or is there some other fundamental hurdle that makes it a much longer shot?
post #5810 of 6029 Old 12-15-2011, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A little over 3 years ago I purchased 2 TiVoHD's and put 750 GB (Seagate DB35's) drives in them and they've overcome virtually every hurdle I ever had with capturing from Comcast DVRs. They even combine my OTA and Cable lineups for me. Since then, I've just had one of the 5-year warranty drives go bad and it was readily replaced by a 1TB drive.

The primary advantage to holding onto the Comcast DVRs is for when the 4 tuners of the 2 TiVos are booked and I want to channel surf (like during football season). The other - but less significant - benefit of the Comcast DVRs are in the event I might want to do something crazy like record 10 or 15 tiny segments from a 3 hour show or something. Capturing such segments via firewire takes far less time and considerably less disk space than transferring from the TiVo, but it's not that big a deal. It would be even less of an issue if some TiVo guru would figure out how to PC transfer just from the "paused point" of a show like is done in room-to-room sharing.

Back to capturing from the DVR with CapDVHS, does anybody have a good understanding of what kind of hurdles have to be overcome in order to achieve the same breakthrough in 64-bit Windows that was at one time made with 32-bit Windows? Is the primary reason for no breakthrough a lack of interest or motivation or is there some other fundamental hurdle that makes it a much longer shot?

The lack of the AVC and ieee61883 driver layers, ie avc.sys, 61883.sys
post #5811 of 6029 Old 12-17-2011, 08:16 AM

Ok...I know this is heresy but this thread is 194 pages and starts in '04 so rather than go thru all 194 pages...I started at the back and am at 190...I thought I would ask a question that I am sure has been answered here before but ...

I have Motorola DVRs dch6416 and dct6416 phase 3 and I want to move a recorded show to a dell studio 540 pc running Win7 64bit os. I have the firewire cable installed and device manager recognizes the tuner and panel but cannot find the driver. I have Pinnacle Studio 15 that I think will capture the video as played but only after I can get the firewire and win 7 to recognize the tuner.

Can anyone tell me if I can move my video from the dvr to the pc and how? Again I apologize for not reading all 194 pages. I did get far enough to download these drivers "stb_firewire_drivers_2009-02-25" but my pc could still not find anything it liked.

thanks in advance

bill
post #5812 of 6029 Old 12-17-2011, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by billscar54 View Post

I have Motorola DVRs dch6416 and dct6416 phase 3 and I want to move a recorded show to a dell studio 540 pc running Win7 64bit os. I have the firewire cable installed and device manager recognizes the tuner and panel but cannot find the driver. I have Pinnacle Studio 15 that I think will capture the video as played but only after I can get the firewire and win 7 to recognize the tuner.

64-bit Windows is a no-go. The only 64-bit OS that can be used to capture cable/FIOS from FireWire is Mac OS X. There are no 64-bit Windows drivers for communicating with a Motorola cable/FIOS box (and none in development).

Quote:

Can anyone tell me if I can move my video from the dvr to the pc and how? Again I apologize for not reading all 194 pages. I did get far enough to download these drivers "stb_firewire_drivers_2009-02-25" but my pc could still not find anything it liked.

Upgrade your OS to Windows 7 32-bit. This will allow you to install the cable box FireWire drivers and capture your show.
Once you have any 32-bit version of Windows (2000 - Windows 7...and probably Windows 8 too, though I haven't tested it), download the Cable box FireWire drivers MSI installation package.

Once you've installed the package and connected the FireWire cable from your PC to your DVR, go to the Start Menu and run CapDVHS. When it opens, you'll see a big Rec button at the top of the dialog. Start playing back the DVR recording and then click the Rec button. That's all there is to it.

Oh, one other thing should be mentioned: Always power the cable box down (standby mode) before plugging or unplugging the FireWire cable from either it or your PC. There is a Motorola firmware bug that causes the cable box to freak out and reboot if it is powered up while the FireWire is being connected/disconnected. This bug will also often hit you if you shut down or reboot your PC while the FireWire is connected to the cable box. As long as the cable box is in standby mode whenever these things occur, you can avoid having to wait forever-and-a-day for your cable TV guide to repopulate its listings.
post #5813 of 6029 Old 12-17-2011, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

+1 Upgrade your OS to Windows 7 32-bit. (My emphasis added)

You could also dual boot if you think you really need Win 64 for some reason.
(Maybe you run really large databases or large scientific/engineering applications which need more than 4 GB of RAM?)
post #5814 of 6029 Old 12-17-2011, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...Once you have any 32-bit version of Windows (2000 - Windows 7...and probably Windows 8 too, though I haven't tested it), download the Cable box FireWire drivers MSI installation package.

I'm not sure if I'm getting a defective download or something, but this installer package will not install on my Win 7 32-bit installation. I keep getting Error 1719 (Windows Installer not accessible), but it doesn't seem to have a problem installing and/or uninstalling everything else I throw at it.

So I guess that leaves me with the Tim M. Moore firestb driver package that I've used for WinXP. Is that suppose to work with Windows 7 32-bit as well? Or do I need something else?
post #5815 of 6029 Old 12-17-2011, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not sure if I'm getting a defective download or something, but this installer package will not install on my Win 7 32-bit installation. I keep getting Error 1719 (Windows Installer not accessible), but it doesn't seem to have a problem installing and/or uninstalling everything else I throw at it.

So I guess that leaves me with the Tim M. Moore firestb driver package that I've used for WinXP. Is that suppose to work with Windows 7 32-bit as well? Or do I need something else?

maybe you need to be logged into an account with admin access.
post #5816 of 6029 Old 12-18-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:

64-bit Windows is a no-go. The only 64-bit OS that can be used to capture cable/FIOS from FireWire is Mac OS X. There are no 64-bit Windows drivers for communicating with a Motorola cable/FIOS box (and none in development).

Upgrade your OS to Windows 7 32-bit. This will allow you to install the cable box FireWire drivers and capture your show.
Once you have any 32-bit version of Windows (2000 - Windows 7...and probably Windows 8 too, though I haven't tested it), download the Cable box

Once you've installed the package and connected the FireWire cable from your PC to your DVR, go to the Start Menu and run CapDVHS. When it opens, you'll see a big Rec button at the top of the dialog. Start playing back the DVR recording and then click the Rec button. That's all there is to it.

Oh, one other thing should be mentioned: Always power the cable box down (standby mode) before plugging or unplugging the FireWire cable from either it or your PC. There is a Motorola firmware bug that causes the cable box to freak out and reboot if it is powered up while the FireWire is being connected/disconnected. This bug will also often hit you if you shut down or reboot your PC while the FireWire is connected to the cable box. As long as the cable box is in standby mode whenever these things occur, you can avoid having to wait forever-and-a-day for your cable TV guide to repopulate its listings.

Thanks. I really appreciate the reply. Is the problem the firewire driver or a driver for for the dvr? I am thinking these are two different things. I am also concerned with the download of the "cable_stb_firewire...." file from Sendspace. When I click on download it redirects me to "clickintercom" and tries to download an executable called "pageragesetupaff.exe". Neither of these seem to be related to firewire drivers.

thanks

bill
post #5817 of 6029 Old 12-18-2011, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...I am also concerned with the download of the "cable_stb_firewire...." file from Sendspace. When I click on download it redirects me to "clickintercom" and tries to download an executable called "pageragesetupaff.exe". Neither of these seem to be related to firewire drivers.

Right. Most of the Download indicators on their pages are ads or things trying to install something on your PC. The only link you should click on is the one below the description that says, "Click here to start download from sendspace".
post #5818 of 6029 Old 12-21-2011, 11:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Announcement: I'm throwing in the towel, officially.

After I offload my "Boardwalk Empire" Season #1 episodes 7-12 (still unwatched, as are episodes 4-6) to DVHS, so that I can maybe watch the end of Season #1 so that I can then watch the 12 unwatched episodes I currently have recorded on WMC from Season #2, I will have emptied out my DCH3416. This is not "for posterity", but rather only because I haven't watched these episodes and I want to, and I'm able to copy to DVHS since I don't have the "latest and greatest" DCX equipment.

And that fact, coupled with the "2012 rate increase" letter I just received from TWC which will make my DCH3416 (which I never use anyway since going Ceton in my PC, but am only holding onto for potential firewire-DVHS use for some copy-once content I might want "for posterity"... which hasn't happened since "The Sopranos" went off TV, and BluRay versions of series became available if you really wanted them) now cost me $21/month (up from $19)... in addition to the other $7/month increase for my other services. And that doesn't even count the increase for "basic digital service" which is paid for by my HOA through our "bulk contract" with TWC, but for which I obviously pay my allocation through monthly maintenance.

So... after emptying out my DVH3416 to DVHS by the end of today, I'm going to return my DVR to TWC and be done with it. I used to also record the Olympics to DVHS because I wanted to. But that's essentially all copy-freely (i.e. the high-profile events on NBC) and I can much more easily and selectively produce far more convenient-to-store and convenient-to-view authored BluRay HD directly from my copy-freely WMC/WTV recordings on PC for this special occasion.

True, I will 100% lose the ability to archive copy-once content from DVR to DVHS (for posterity?), but I can also buy/rent BluRay versions of those programs if I really wanted to.

I suppose there is a remote possibility I might want to WRITE to DVHS from my WinXP machine (using CapDVHS) instead of to BluRay, but I can't see why. It still would have to be copy-freely content, and I might as well just create BluRay for that.

So it looks like I will likely never be needing my supply of new-in-a-box blank DVHS tapes I bought a few years ago, just to future-proof myself against their eventual disappearance. If anybody wants to buy brand new DF300 and DF420 JVC tapes, I've got some. PM me. Oh... I've also got five new-in-a-box Sony ED-Beta blank tapes (for my ED-Beta EDV-9000, which itself is back in a box), if anybody wants some of those (which are simply IMPOSSIBLE to get now).

TWC... your rate increases in the lack of competition (I do not have FIOS or U-Verse available in my area, and I do not want satellite) will make your customers run for cover, as I've done. And how about giving us an A28 software update from the initially release August 2009 version we've been stuck with for 2 years, and that still only has a 6-7 day Guide??
post #5819 of 6029 Old 12-21-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Announcement: I'm throwing in the towel, officially.

After I offload my "Boardwalk Empire" Season #1 episodes 7-12 (still unwatched, as are episodes 4-6) to DVHS, so that I can maybe watch the end of Season #1 so that I can then watch the 12 unwatched episodes I currently have recorded on WMC from Season #2, I will have emptied out my DCH3416. This is not "for posterity", but rather only because I haven't watched these episodes and I want to, and I'm able to copy to DVHS since I don't have the "latest and greatest" DCX equipment.

And that fact, coupled with the "2012 rate increase" letter I just received from TWC which will make my DCH3416 (which I never use anyway since going Ceton in my PC, but am only holding onto for potential firewire-DVHS use for some copy-once content I might want "for posterity"... which hasn't happened since "The Sopranos" went off TV, and BluRay versions of series became available if you really wanted them) now cost me $21/month (up from $19)... in addition to the other $7/month increase for my other services. And that doesn't even count the increase for "basic digital service" which is paid for by my HOA through our "bulk contract" with TWC, but for which I obviously pay my allocation through monthly maintenance.

So... after emptying out my DVH3416 to DVHS by the end of today, I'm going to return my DVR to TWC and be done with it. I used to also record the Olympics to DVHS because I wanted to. But that's essentially all copy-freely (i.e. the high-profile events on NBC) and I can much more easily and selectively produce far more convenient-to-store and convenient-to-view authored BluRay HD directly from my copy-freely WMC/WTV recordings on PC for this special occasion.

True, I will 100% lose the ability to archive copy-once content from DVR to DVHS (for posterity?), but I can also buy/rent BluRay versions of those programs if I really wanted to.

I suppose there is a remote possibility I might want to WRITE to DVHS from my WinXP machine (using CapDVHS) instead of to BluRay, but I can't see why. It still would have to be copy-freely content, and I might as well just create BluRay for that.

So it looks like I will likely never be needing my supply of new-in-a-box blank DVHS tapes I bought a few years ago, just to future-proof myself against their eventual disappearance. If anybody wants to buy brand new DF300 and DF420 JVC tapes, I've got some. PM me. Oh... I've also got five new-in-a-box Sony ED-Beta blank tapes (for my ED-Beta EDV-9000, which itself is back in a box), if anybody wants some of those (which are simply IMPOSSIBLE to get now).

TWC... your rate increases in the lack of competition (I do not have FIOS or U-Verse available in my area, and I do not want satellite) will make your customers run for cover, as I've done. And how about giving us an A28 software update from the initially release August 2009 version we've been stuck with for 2 years, and that still only has a 6-7 day Guide??

Are your 420 tapes still shrinkwrapped?
PM me with how much you are asking for them and how many of each you have which are still sealed.

Also, what is this newfangled DVH3416 you speak of?
post #5820 of 6029 Old 12-21-2011, 06:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Are your 420 tapes still shrinkwrapped?

Yes. I have one full case (still sealed) of ten DF420 tapes, and two DF420 tapes (still sealed) remaining from my second case. 12 DF420 tapes total. But I might just keep the two "orphans" for myself.

I also have 18 DF300 tapes (still sealed). Again one full case of ten (still sealed) and eight "orphans" (still sealed) from a second case.

Also one DFC2A cleaning tape (still sealed).

[/quote]PM me with how much you are asking for them and how many of each you have which are still sealed.[/quote]Done.

Quote:
Also, what is this newfangled DVH3416 you speak of?

Oops... didn't see that! Obviously it was a typo and should have been "DCH3416" as I'd correctly typed earlier.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page