How to record via IEEE 1394 (Firewire) to Windows XP - Page 203 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #6061 of 6077 Old 12-20-2015, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Comcast forced me to switch boxes recently, saying my old DHC3416 (?) wouldn't work anymore due to a change in their transmission, and although the new Motorola RNG200N seemed to work initially using the firewire out to my JVC D-VHS recorder, it then got glitchy, cut out for no apparent reason and needed frequent rebooting, but now it seems totally dead for all channels.

I need a smart person here who can translate the jargon on my service menu screen which I believe tells me if I should have any success. My JVC D-VHS deck seems to successfully see a signal it calls "DCX-3500" and most TV stations I access all say: "CCI: 0x00, DRM: 0x01" but HBOHD says: "CCI: 0x02, DRM: 0x01". Thing is I unfortunately never bothered to check what the old box said about these channels because they all worked, even HBOHD, but now I can't get anything. Would some translator here please tell me if I have any hope?
CCI 0 = Copy Freely
CCI 2 = Copy Only Once
Your DVH deck should be able to record both signals, but your JVC deck will not allow copies of the first recording on 0x2 flagged material.
m. zillch likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6062 of 6077 Old 12-20-2015, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
CCI 0 = Copy Freely
CCI 2 = Copy Only Once
Your DVH deck should be able to record both signals, but your JVC deck will not allow copies of the first recording on 0x2 flagged material.
Thanks. How about a translation guide for the "DRM: 0x01" status part of it? I assume it stands for digital rights management, right?

P.S. Or might you know of any other reason why firewire shows as connected and enabled, "Yes", but has no image?

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".

Last edited by m. zillch; 12-20-2015 at 01:18 PM.
post #6063 of 6077 Old 01-10-2016, 12:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I've read and experienced dvr with 1 firewire out is glitchy and will not give a clean recording to d-vhs deck. You need 2 outputs even though only 1 is being used. Of course all newer boxes only seem to have 1 output.
post #6064 of 6077 Old 01-10-2016, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 28
My 6416 stopped working (kept rebooting constantly). Now can't get any picture to come up. Don't think hard drive is bad , maybe power supply. Is it possible to get these things fixed? Dvr at 100% full and can't get unit to stay on to get programs off of it to d-vhs deck.
post #6065 of 6077 Old 07-04-2016, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm trying to post a question as a reply to post #6004 from TN0821 (not being allowed to quote that post):

I have a Motorola DCX3510-M and I'm trying what you had posted. I have Win8.1x32, firewire cable not yet connected and when I attempt (actually attempted several times) to install your STB driver, no driver for 'digital AV/C tuner' or sometimes it shows 'Motorola DCX35xx AV/C Panel' (as shown with yellow indicator in devmgr)' ever gets installed. Since this is an MSI file (with no apparent means to extract contents to attempt manual driver install), I don't know to further proceed.
post #6066 of 6077 Old 07-24-2016, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbhh View Post
I'm trying to post a question as a reply to post #6004 from TN0821 (not being allowed to quote that post):

I have a Motorola DCX3510-M and I'm trying what you had posted. I have Win8.1x32, firewire cable not yet connected and when I attempt (actually attempted several times) to install your STB driver, no driver for 'digital AV/C tuner' or sometimes it shows 'Motorola DCX35xx AV/C Panel' (as shown with yellow indicator in devmgr)' ever gets installed. Since this is an MSI file (with no apparent means to extract contents to attempt manual driver install), I don't know to further proceed.
I'm not sure that the 3510-M is supported by the driver package. I'm 99% sure that the 3501 is the newest model that it has been tested with. The driver just gets staged on your computer until the next time you plug in the FireWire cable. Once you plug it in, the driver actually gets installed. You can find the staged driver at C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\fir estb.inf_x86_71511a39bff1be9d\
You can ignore the PNF file in that folder. The only files you need are firestb.inf, meistb.sys and mstapeo.sys.

You can also decompress the MSI file to get these files. Install 7-Zip and right-click on the MSI file and use the 7-Zip "Extract To..." option. Go into the folder where you extracted the files and locate Data1.cab. Right-click on Data1.cab and use the 7-Zip "Extract To..." option. Go into the folder where you extracted the files and you'll find firestb.inf, meistb.sys and mstapeo.sys (as well as a lot of other files).

And it may be that the driver is being properly installed. The Motorola DCX series has had epic struggles with FireWire, so any issue that you are experiencing could be because of a flaw in the firmware of the 3510. I myself gave up on using the DCX-3400 several years ago due to problems with the firmware that Motorola never addressed as far as I ever saw (I've read one or two people claim that they eventually fixed it, but I've seen no actual evidence of it, just hearsay). I opted to use an old DCH-3416, which worked great until earlier this year when my cable company switched from MPEG2 to MPEG4 compression. My current cable box does not have FireWire and I honestly don't miss performing FireWire captures.

If you want assistance with troubleshooting this just send my a private message. I'm interested enough to spend a bit of time on this if you want me to set up a WebEx session and help you diagnose what is going on.

Thanks,
-TNO821
post #6067 of 6077 Old 08-10-2016, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How to record MPEG-4 FireWire stream?

TNO821 Posted:
[
Quote:
QUOTE=TNO821;45568185] The Motorola DCX series has had epic struggles with FireWire, so any issue that you are experiencing could be because of a flaw in the firmware of the 3510. I myself gave up on using the DCX-3400 several years ago due to problems with the firmware that Motorola never addressed as far as I ever saw (I've read one or two people claim that they eventually fixed it, but I've seen no actual evidence of it, just hearsay). I opted to use an old DCH-3416, which worked great until earlier this year when my cable company switched from MPEG2 to MPEG4 compression. My current cable box does not have FireWire and I honestly don't miss performing FireWire captures.
TN0821, I knew well the "epic struggles" with the FireWire on the Motorola DCX series in the past, so I was filled with dread recently when my trusty old DCH-3416 finally gave up the ghost (power supply) and I had to take it to the Comcast office. They were adamant that I could not get another DCH-3416, and they couldn't understand why I didn't want an X1 box. I was able to get a DCX-3401 but I really didn't expect the FireWire to work worth crap. To my great surprise, it works very well for FireWire capture now, and I subsequently obtained a DCX-3501 as well, and it's the same story there. The glitchiness of the past seems to have been fixed with updated firmware somewhere along the way.

So I am happily continuing to use CapDVHS with Windows XP, but I am wondering what will happen when the migration to MPEG-4 happens in my area (it's imminent --- like, in the next few weeks). As I understand it, they will phase in MPEG-4 on certain channels gradually, and I guess I'll know when CapDVHS doesn't work for a particular channel that it must be putting out MPEG-4 through the FireWire. Channels that remain MPEG-2, like my local broadcast channels, should still be recordable. Do you have any idea what other software will work to record an MPEG-4 stream? I thought I saw a post somewhere claiming that VLC can do the job.

Last edited by drnetwork; 08-10-2016 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Quoted paragraph not clearly delineated by white background
post #6068 of 6077 Old 08-11-2016, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnetwork View Post
Channels that remain MPEG-2, like my local broadcast channels, should still be recordable. Do you have any idea what other software will work to record an MPEG-4 stream? I thought I saw a post somewhere claiming that VLC can do the job.
I always assumed CAPDvhs just writes the stream to disc, I bet the move to MPEG4 will only impact what you play it back with.

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
No longer contributing to Engadget HD
post #6069 of 6077 Old 08-17-2016, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnetwork View Post
TNO821 Posted:
[

TN0821, I knew well the "epic struggles" with the FireWire on the Motorola DCX series in the past, so I was filled with dread recently when my trusty old DCH-3416 finally gave up the ghost (power supply) and I had to take it to the Comcast office. They were adamant that I could not get another DCH-3416, and they couldn't understand why I didn't want an X1 box. I was able to get a DCX-3401 but I really didn't expect the FireWire to work worth crap. To my great surprise, it works very well for FireWire capture now, and I subsequently obtained a DCX-3501 as well, and it's the same story there. The glitchiness of the past seems to have been fixed with updated firmware somewhere along the way.

So I am happily continuing to use CapDVHS with Windows XP, but I am wondering what will happen when the migration to MPEG-4 happens in my area (it's imminent --- like, in the next few weeks). As I understand it, they will phase in MPEG-4 on certain channels gradually, and I guess I'll know when CapDVHS doesn't work for a particular channel that it must be putting out MPEG-4 through the FireWire. Channels that remain MPEG-2, like my local broadcast channels, should still be recordable. Do you have any idea what other software will work to record an MPEG-4 stream? I thought I saw a post somewhere claiming that VLC can do the job.
I'm not sure if CapDVHS will handle MPEG4, but there's a good chance that it will. I think you'll just have to wait and see. I've also read that VLC can be used to capture streams, so there's a good chance that it could be used as well. Time will tell.
post #6070 of 6077 Old 08-17-2016, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post
I always assumed CAPDvhs just writes the stream to disc, I bet the move to MPEG4 will only impact what you play it back with.
I agree.
post #6071 of 6077 Old 08-19-2016, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm having FIOS installed next week, accoring to the rep I talked to I will be getting the Motorola 7216 and 7100-P2

The firewire drivers worked with the Motorola models I had with Comcast a few years ago, will the same drivers work with the 7216? And will they work with the 7100-P2 to record live TV?

Received my set top boxes from Fios yesterday. They didn't send Motorola like they said and sent Cisco chs335 and a 435 DVR. Looking through this thread, people have not had good luck with those

Last edited by leroybrown; 08-24-2016 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Update
post #6072 of 6077 Old 08-28-2016, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroybrown View Post
I'm having FIOS installed next week, accoring to the rep I talked to I will be getting the Motorola 7216 and 7100-P2

The firewire drivers worked with the Motorola models I had with Comcast a few years ago, will the same drivers work with the 7216? And will they work with the 7100-P2 to record live TV?

Received my set top boxes from Fios yesterday. They didn't send Motorola like they said and sent Cisco chs335 and a 435 DVR. Looking through this thread, people have not had good luck with those
The Motorola QIP 7216 and 7100-P2 will work with the drivers, yes. I see no chance in hell of the Cisco units working with them.
post #6073 of 6077 Old 08-28-2016, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I have been working on an alternate to CapDVHS and will post an executable when its ready-if anyone still cares-that does not rely on XP and run on Win7+.
drnetwork and TNO821 like this.
post #6074 of 6077 Old 08-31-2016, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have been working on an alternate to CapDVHS and will post an executable when its ready-if anyone still cares-that does not rely on XP and run on Win7+.
Very nice!
post #6075 of 6077 Old 09-22-2016, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Have been using CapDVHS for almost 10 years (Comcast Chicago), and only about a year ago, was forced to give up my own trusty old DCH-3416 (as so many here seem to have used for as long as I have) and got a DCX-3400 (also like many here were given with no choice). Once I was able to get the right drivers loaded, I was able to capture the MPEG-2 stream just like before, with little of the old glitchiness. BUT.. in the past few months, suddenly.. many channels were not capturing any more (including my beloved TCM-HD). I was sure it was like some of the odd glitches we'd seen with certain channels in past, or WORSE- they were suddenly 5C!

And tonight, I had a EUREKA moment.

Was curious if a capture had worked, and tried to play it back (even though CapDVHS said I'd not captured anything) and.. VOILA.. it played! WHAT? it played? Not 5C?

And then I came here, and realized.. awe crap.. they're migrating these channels to MPEG-4, aren't they?

Guess we don't have an option to cap them in MPEG-2 any longer, hm? Or EDIT in MPEG-2 either? BUT.. my experience was that, even though CapDVHS was indicating that it was NOT capturing anything, it DID capture the MPEG-4 stream, which can be played back (will need an editing alternative now...) Will be curious if there's CapDVHS alternative yet that will allow, show proper stream capture info.

Thank you guys SO MUCH for FINALLY allowing me to understand what's been going on with my captures for MONTHS!
post #6076 of 6077 Old 09-22-2016, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiernan View Post
Will be curious if there's CapDVHS alternative yet that will allow, show proper stream capture info.
Just FYI, CapDVHS is supposed to also show the audio stream parameters. But almost nobody has ever seen those parameters filled in. That's because they only work with MPEG-1 audio, not the typical AC3 audio on OTA and cable systems.

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net
post #6077 of 6077 Old 09-22-2016, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Comcast is currently converting HD channels from MPEG-2 to H.264 here in the Bay Area. I've been putting it off, but after the latest round of channel conversions, I had to replace my DCH-3200 with an RNG110.

The IEEE1394 port on the RNG110 is enabled, but it's operation is not correct. PAT and PMT is missing and there's a huge amount of stuffing packets on PID 0x1fff. No D-VHS box of any kind can ever work with an RNG110.

However, the video and audio streams are present. With some software trickery, I was able to capture a workable Transport Stream for both MPEG-2 and H.264 channels.

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page