How to record via IEEE 1394 (Firewire) to Windows XP - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 6046 Old 12-13-2004, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
well, i record and stop and repeat the same step on one movie with capdvhs to split the huge ts file.
what i meant the first clip is the very first recording file from one movie. Once i get the cap to record the first file, i can continue without have to worry about 5c on the rest of the movie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 6046 Old 12-13-2004, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by zeroendless
well, i record and stop and repeat the same step on one movie with capdvhs to split the huge ts file.
what i meant the first clip is the very first recording file from one movie. Once i get the cap to record the first file, i can continue without have to worry about 5c on the rest of the movie.

thanks zero. How many files do you create for a typical 2 hour movie?
post #633 of 6046 Old 12-13-2004, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How many files do you create for a typical 2 hour movie?

Rather smaller than ota recording from myhd120 last time i checked, which is averaging 8.5g/hour. i find out tonight.
post #634 of 6046 Old 12-13-2004, 08:32 PM

Thanks zeroendless,

I am going to try it tonight when I get off work
post #635 of 6046 Old 12-13-2004, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks zero. How many files do you create for a typical 2 hour movie?

Well, varies sizes depend on network and program.
~2.1GB, 24.21 minutes from HBO , The last Samurai
~2.1GB, 20:14 minutes from INHD, Usher Live
~2.1Gb, 30:41 minutes from Maxhd, matrix 1
~2.1Gb, 20:18 minutes from showHD, The Hours
~1.95GB 21:16 minutes from HBO, Love Actually
~1.95GB 17:03 minutes from INHD, "The beauty of Snake" <- wow effect

u do the math
post #636 of 6046 Old 12-15-2004, 07:03 AM

I'm gonna try that also (the repeat channel method), I tried to pause the channel then start recording, it shows data recording, but when time to play back it craps out after 5 seconds!

But I can record VOD premium channels like HBO with no problems and without any tricks, it really doesn't make too much sense to me.

I hope this "repeat channel method" works for comcast detroit area!! If not I guess im stuck with s-video 480i!!!

-Life is too short, so enjoy what you like to do even if it cost your whole life savings!

MarkusDesign
post #637 of 6046 Old 12-15-2004, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hey, guys, you really should take your discussion of 5C circumvention elsewhere because it's against the policy of the Forum owners.
post #638 of 6046 Old 12-15-2004, 10:49 PM

just started playing with this stuff today and have successfully captured video off my 6200 and play it back with VLC. was setting up my HTPC remote to control VLC and in looking at the hotkeys, i can't seem to find how to rewind. it shows how to speed up and slow down the video, but doesn't say how to reverse it. anyone?

also, the jump 10 sec/1 min commands don't seem to work for me. i noticed that there doesn't seem to be any timing info for the .ts file i've created when i play it back. i assume this has to do with why the jump/skip command isn't working. am i missing something in getting this to work?

thanks!
post #639 of 6046 Old 12-16-2004, 10:33 AM

Anyone gotten this to work with a 6412 yet?

Should the original or "blazer" meitape be used?

Thanks!
post #640 of 6046 Old 12-16-2004, 10:46 AM

i got the recording to work now how would i take this file and get it onto a DVD
post #641 of 6046 Old 12-16-2004, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by scooterman
i got the recording to work now how would i take this file and get it onto a DVD

Read the Forum and you'll find 37 different ways to make DVDs for stand-alone players...none of them worth the effort for TV shows.

If you just want to archive the TS file, any DVD-burner app will do. The trick is to select UDF as the file format so that you aren't limited to 1 or 2 GB per file.
post #642 of 6046 Old 12-16-2004, 05:44 PM

Hey all,

I did everything as zeroendless said and I still can't record from hbo or inhd with shows I already recorded.

I follwed the installation guide, and have tried both the new and the old inf files.

Anything I am missing? Thanks.
post #643 of 6046 Old 12-16-2004, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did everything as zeroendless said and I still can't record from hbo or inhd with shows I already recorded.

I follwed the installation guide, and have tried both the new and the old inf files.

if you can dump ota, you did nothing wrong. Perhaps your premium are 5c=1
post #644 of 6046 Old 12-17-2004, 01:16 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to connect my 3250HD to my PC via firewire, but my computer won't detect it. Could it be the version of Sara on the 3250 box? When I went into the diagnostic screens I didn't see any options for firewire. The version info for Sara that it gave me was this: OS High Def Ed 1.0.4., Flash 1.52.11.2, and Sara v. 1.52.11.2. Do I need a new version or am I just missing where to activate (if you can) the firewire ports? I'd appreciate any help/suggestions!

Thanks!
post #645 of 6046 Old 12-18-2004, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm in the same boat as Chuffy. SA3250HD connected to my HTPC but it doesn't detect it. Isn't there some FCC law that requires cable providers to make the firewire ports active?

"ANYONE who pc games that doesn't have a 360 controller for pc use, well frankly isn't a gamer at all."
post #646 of 6046 Old 12-18-2004, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Scotty L
I'm in the same boat as Chuffy. SA3250HD connected to my HTPC but it doesn't detect it. Isn't there some FCC law that requires cable providers to make the firewire ports active?

If you have a 5C-compliant device, such as a DVHS recorder, that you can plug in to test the FW port I think you can scream bloody murder if it's not recognized and used. But with only a PC hooked up you're on thinner ice, as I understand it.
post #647 of 6046 Old 12-20-2004, 01:25 PM

Does anyone use VLC to record? I played with it but it seems very buggy. Sometimes it works sometimes not. You can change the compression settings by use it. I also use CapDVHS but you can't change anything without it rebooting the puter.

Also, is the signal out of the fire wire port ONLY what the turner is tuned to or can a turner be used on the computer to select Channels? Thanks

opps I have the Moto 6200. how do u tell what firmware I have? None of the methods seem to work for me.
post #648 of 6046 Old 12-20-2004, 01:55 PM

thank you very much to everyone for this thread. Exactly what I was looking for...

Anyways, has anyone used any of VividLogic's 1394 & 5C products / software? Could this be the answer to some of the encrypted issues? Is this even apples to apples?

google: VividLogic

this forum is dangerous to your wallet
post #649 of 6046 Old 12-20-2004, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

bagwellfive--

Look here for "Firebus" and you'll see that VL's stuff is known. And, no, it won't help with encrypted streams--they play by the book too.
post #650 of 6046 Old 12-21-2004, 07:03 PM

Quick question: does this method work on channels received via a Cablecard installation in a Mits integrated TV (like the new DLPs)? Or can it only record the basic, unencrypted stuff?
post #651 of 6046 Old 12-21-2004, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It can only record non 5C encrypted content, which is not necessarily the same as scrambled cable channels.

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
Engadget HD
post #652 of 6046 Old 12-21-2004, 10:11 PM

ATTENTION ALL THOSE YOU HAVE PROBLEMS PLAYING LIVE VIDEO WITH THE CURRENT VERSION OF VLC.

Videolan has been working on a fix and there is a new nightly build that fixed my problem. You can grab the nightlies here, http://www.videolan.org/~videolan

Or the version that I know works here, http://people.via.ecp.fr/~ipkiss/vlc...-svn-win32.zip

Worked first try for me, no more video/audio glitches! WOOHOOO!!!

Cheers,

--
Travis Bell
post #653 of 6046 Old 12-22-2004, 05:21 PM

This may be nit-picky but...

Didn't have a Tuner AV/C Device show up automatically. I had to cancel out of all the hardware found boxes then go to the device manager. There was a "AV/C Tuner" listed. Update/reinstall driver from there.

Concerning: (Uncheck Show compatible hardware)

The listing my XP gives doen't have a check box for 'show compatible hardware' so i got stuck for a few minutes here. I eventually clicked where a check box should have been and went to the 'have disk'screen fine.

Concerning: (Under Copy manufacturer's files from: put C:\\meidvhs\\ ( The path of where you extracted the core_driver.zip.)

The file downloaded and extracted wasn't called core_driver.zip. It was called meidvhs.zip.

Other than that! Thanks for all the help it works beautifully!

"The Stone which the builders rejected, this became the chief corner stone."
post #654 of 6046 Old 12-22-2004, 08:14 PM

[quote]Originally posted by TPeterson
[b]Read the Forum and you'll find 37 different ways to make DVDs for stand-alone players...none of them worth the effort for TV shows.

Hello TPeterson & the other senior members who've put so much of their wisdom into this board. Thanks for your time.
I've got one observation and one specific question:
Observation first: I really hope that there is a method for cranking out a dvd from a .ts string in a manner that won't drive me crazy. What I'm trying to do sounds very basic - extract several pieces of a soccer match to share with kids on my youth team, edit them and burn them to dvd. Man, I hope you're not serious about it not being worth the effort !

Getting towards my question: I followed the original bdraw instructions for hooking up my comcast 6412 box via firewire to my ibm laptop (1.6GHz Pentium-M). CapDVHS seemingly does a great job capturing video to my hard drive - high def looks great, regular TV is OK.

On the other hand, I am having real trouble with the HDTV to MPEG converter. The resulting mpeg video I produce may or may not be playable on Windows Media Player and Real Player, and never contain sound. All I can guess with my limited knowledge is that the pids may be wrong - they are automatically detected, and do vary, where one site (elsewhere) said that they would be the same from time to time. I suspect that there is something I am missing !

Thanks in advance to anyone that can pick up a piece that I am not seeing.

GSmith
post #655 of 6046 Old 12-22-2004, 08:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

GSmith--

It sounds like you're not talking about run-of-the-mill TV shows. My remark was directed at folks who hoped to save the entire Horny Housewives season to DVD.

If the TS you're dealing with is SDTV (i.e., "regular TV") then editing with HDTVtoMPEG2 (and keeping it in TS form) followed by burning to DVD using Nero Video Express is not terribly painful. You can do the same with HDTV streams but the conversion time in NVE is very long--IMO, only worthwhile for special clips, such as you mention. If you must convert to MPEG2 for some reason, you can use the latest version (1.11.6 I think) HDTVtoMPEG2 which reportedly has the audio-loss bug fixed.
post #656 of 6046 Old 12-22-2004, 09:44 PM

T -

Thanks - that is encouraging. I had to believe that a professional product like Nero would let me do some editing, and then burn the results to DVD - it just sounds like such an obvious thing to do.

I think I gathered from some of your previous posts that you don't use the HDTVtoMPEG2 converter yourself - I got the most recent version of the HDTV program, and must be doing something wrong. I mean, for the audio and video to work so perfectly in the VLC Media player, and then to bomb completely as an mpeg movie must mean that I am doing something wrong. Anyway - thanks for the word about Nero - I'll be doing some shopping for a DVD burner... (maybe Santa will bring the software..)

Regards,
GSmith
post #657 of 6046 Old 12-22-2004, 10:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

G--

I do use H2 and I used to find that it sometimes messed up the audio for some players when converting to MPEG2, but Cris Moore, H2's latest major contributor, says that he fixed that in the current beta. I've not tried it for MPEG conversion since the fix, which is why I said "reportedly".
post #658 of 6046 Old 12-23-2004, 05:37 AM

I am unable to get the drivers to load. Keeps saying no drivers for this device. I have an Mot 6412 with ver 9 software. I have read through the whole Forum and tried about 15 times.

Do you need to have WinXP service pack 2 installed.

Also, has anyone played around with winxp64 bit. I do have an AMD64 processor and the Beta ver of winxp64.

If You Plan For The Future, You Won't Buy Anything Today
post #659 of 6046 Old 12-23-2004, 07:22 AM

Do you need to have WinXP service pack 2 installed.

Also, has anyone played around with winxp64 bit. I do have an AMD64 processor and the Beta ver of winxp64.

RH - I just did this yesterday, so it's still fresh. I am working with a Mot6208 with version 7.15 firmware, but if I understand your problem, it's with getting device manager to recognize the driver for the panasonic av tuner device, and not with the mot box.

I did everything exactly as the original bdraw instructions indicated, except the part where you actually pick out the driver. Here are the original instructions with my edit:

Uncheck Show compatible hardware
Click Have Disk
Under Copy manufacturer's files from: put

[b]C:\\meidvhs\\ ( The path of where you extracted the core_driver.zip.)
Click OK.[b]

I had the meidvhs folder unzipped on my desktop, and browsed to find the open that folder. The "core driver" that bdraw is referring to is the "meitape" file. That's the driver that I actually used. After restart, my set up captures video perfectly well.

Hope that helps - good luck.

GSmith
post #660 of 6046 Old 12-23-2004, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

IIRC, the XP 64-bit Beta doesn't work well with Athlon64s. I could be wrong, though. At the very least, the drivers for this don't work any different, if they work at all.

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

Best. Surge Protector. Ever.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page