Forum Jump: 

Old 01-08-2005, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I second TPeterson's recomendation.
Also try ac3filter for the ac3 codec. Another great tool that helps is reclock. Both are great utilities. I suspect it is your Video card causing the problems, believe it or not, but high end video cards are for more than just games. I have a AMD 2600, and a Radeon 9700Pro, and using the elecard filters my proc is at 100% but with reclock plays perfectly.

Both reclock and ac3filter are free.

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
Engadget HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2005, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the directions, I have my Comcast 6412 box working but the inhd, discovery hd all that doesnt work so im guessing i have the copy protection on my box but my question is will the local hd channels i get from comcast work with this method like fox abc and nbc? I would just check but theres no hdtv on them channels today. Thanks
Old 01-09-2005, 12:29 AM
tip

I am interested in live viewing. I can get vlc working but is there any way to get any other viewers to connect to the firewire capture device?
...Such as zoom player with some sort of custom filter graph?
(or is that program just for file input?)

thanks,
tip
Old 01-09-2005, 12:41 PM

I have got the HD recoding working....thanks bdraw. My mistake was not putting the core drivers in the C:\\meidvhs\\ folder.

I still get XP balloons on start up recogining a new device, so I do had to turn them off every time. When I do the capture still works..

Is there any way to stop that from happening?

So far testing short (30 sec) captures I seem to be able to capture HBOHD and DHDTV.

Still working on the audio and noticed a lot of chatter on Elecard filters. Looking at the site I am not sure which one to download. Any suggestions?

Thanks again,

MitchellA
Old 01-09-2005, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Merged threads. I believe you accidentally started a new thread when you meant to post a reply to this thread.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:29 PM

Please help if you know. I have read the instructions at the 1st page and have got everything installed that it asks for, as well as I can with win2k being a little different but when I get everything done and press rec I get the "cannot find samplegrabber" error. I have seen elsewhere on this site the same problem and one person said they also had win2k. Is this a driver compatibility issue because I have win2k pro instead of XP. Also in re-installing again and again many times it will ask for reset to take effect and then it doesn't recognize the imput as dvhs device at the devices in the bottom right corner, but in device manager it is still there. It recognized a MS dv camera and and unkown. I have the 6412 STB and the MS guides. Also what is this replace cor drivers in the meidvhs folder thing. Are they just the meidvhs drivers and they have to be put in a file called C:\\meidvhs\\

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 17
ubervision--

Yes, it's because you're using Windows 2000, which does not have the built-in support for A/VC devices that XP has.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:01 PM

Is there anyway I can get around the win2k weakness of no built in a/v c devices. I'm not a big fan of XP. Add them in somehow?
Old 01-09-2005, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No, it's even less likely now than it was 2 years ago when I was asking that question.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:38 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

Originally posted by ubervision
Is there anyway I can get around the win2k weakness of no built in a/v c devices. I'm not a big fan of XP. Add them in somehow?

In my experience, XP is much better overall than Win2k was and is FAR better suited to HTPC / multimedia use than Win2k.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:44 PM

Here here. I don't know what you don't like about XP but I think the best thing to do is just get over that (With all due respect, of course.) There are lots of reasons to upgrade. Nobody is supporting Win2k. Heck, I doubt you can even get security patches on Windows Update for Win2k (I saw a note on Windows Update that they were discontinuing WU support for XP RTM even). So I hope your machine isn't connected to a network

-x
Old 01-09-2005, 05:52 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

Originally posted by xkode2002
Here here. I don't know what you don't like about XP but I think the best thing to do is just get over that (With all due respect, of course.) There are lots of reasons to upgrade. Nobody is supporting Win2k. Heck, I doubt you can even get security patches on Windows Update for Win2k (I saw a note on Windows Update that they were discontinuing WU support for XP RTM even). So I hope your machine isn't connected to a network

I don't think that's true (no more security updates for w2k) as I've still been getting them (one of my development systems runs w2k).
Old 01-09-2005, 06:09 PM

Strange... wonder why they discontinue XP RTM support but still support 2000. Maybe it's the "latest rev of the last N operating systems" or something. Nevertheless, "I'm not a big fan of XP" isn't really a good excuse for sticking with its 5-year-old predecessor.

-x
Old 01-09-2005, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by xkode2002
Strange... wonder why they discontinue XP RTM support but still support 2000. Maybe it's the "latest rev of the last N operating systems" or something. Nevertheless, "I'm not a big fan of XP" isn't really a good excuse for sticking with its 5-year-old predecessor.

Actually, it's not at all strange since M$ is still supporting security updates to WinME and even Win98. It's one thing to tell your customers that they must use the "free" updates that you offer and quite another to proclaim that they're SOL if they refuse to pay for your latest-and-greatest release when they're perfectly satisfied with what they already have.

I only upped to XP when it became clear that there was zero chance I'd ever get to use my Mits DVHS firewire port if it didn't.

P.S.: I think you meant "there, there" rather than "here, here". In standard speech, the former is a consolation while the latter is a cheer!
Old 01-09-2005, 07:01 PM

I meant "here, here" (just was too lazy to put the comma in.) Although not meant as a cheer. I've always heard it used as an endorsement. As in "I agree." I was agreeing to the post directly before mine that stated:

"In my experience, XP is much better overall than Win2k was and is FAR better suited to HTPC / multimedia use than Win2k."

-x
Old 01-09-2005, 07:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Oh, I didn't see you turn your head to address a second person in that one paragraph.

Actually, after thinking about it a bit, I suspected that I was mistaken about "here, here" so I just looked up--and I was wrong. The affirmatory cheer, according to Webster, is "Hear! Hear!" From def'n of "hear":

used interjectionally in the phrase Hear! Hear! to express approval, as of a speech.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:33 PM

Here! Here!

Wow are we off topic.

-x
Old 01-10-2005, 04:32 PM

OK guys I'm able to record with CAPDVHS and playback with VLC. I have followed the directions on page one for live video with VLC. HOwever, no joy. I refresh the list and select Panasonic MPEG2TS and click OK. Nothing happens. I'm using the latest VLC 0.8.1. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:50 PM

Try a nightly build, that fixed me up and I've yet to download a bad one since I started grabbing them a few weeks ago.

Fwiw I'm currently using build 20050109.

Naturally, your mileage may vary.

http://vthr.via.ecp.fr/~videolan/build/win32/
Old 01-11-2005, 09:43 PM

Hi guys:

I have a problem: I need to be able to change the default behavior of the Elecard Demultiplexer to "Use PTS" for seek, instead of "Use bitrate".

The reason, as I'm sure many of you know, is that when copying over 1394, the files are aparently stripped of null bits.

For example, I recorded the first 2 episodes of 24. These were 2-hour episodes. When you set the Elecard demux to "Use PTS" it shows up as 2 hours. When you set it to "use bitrate" the file appears to be only 31 minutes long.

The reason I can't just change it on the fly is that I use Media Center 2005 and it doesn't provide access to the filter properties. Most filters seem to remember their last setting, but the Elecard demux (the only demux that has worked for me) seems to always default to "use bitrate".

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

-x
Old 01-11-2005, 11:53 PM

Is there still no app that can change the channel on a motorola 62xx via firewire for Windows? I remember seeing an app that could do this with a Mac months ago, and even documented how they've done it. Is DCTRecord still being developed? If not, is anyone else working on these kinds of things still?

Thanks!

edit: url of mac site: http://mac_hdtv_timer.home.comcast.net/
Old 01-12-2005, 11:33 AM

Thanks to all for the instructions on how to connect my 6412 to my XP box.
I am having some difficulties:
I can record the ts with CapDVHS, and view it with VLC 0.8.1, but cannot view live thru VLC
Also, I cannot seem to convert the recorded ts to mpeg2 using hdtv to mpeg2 ver. 1.10.6 or 1.11 beta. It creates an mpeg file, but I cannot view it.
Thanks,
James
Old 01-12-2005, 05:23 PM

I'm with you James. I can do everything but watch VLC live. I've tried everything with no joy. I'm begging someone to show me a screen capture of how you set up VLC for Live viewing.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:23 PM

I'm with you James. I can do everything but watch VLC live. I've tried everything with no joy. I'm begging someone to show me a screen capture of how you set up VLC for Live viewing.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:09 PM

Don't any of the vlc nightly builds work?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...05#post4963705

Just extract to a folder and you can run vlc from there. No installation needed.

I usually make a shortcut to vlc within the folder.

With that shortcut I edit the target field so it looks like the following.

"J:\\Backup of F\\vlc-win32-last\\vlc-0.8.2-svn-20050109\\vlc.exe" "dshow:// :dshow-vdev="Panasonic MPEG2TS Tape Subunit Device" :dshow-adev="" :dshow-size="" :no-dshow-config "

Bear in mind that the target field must reflect which build you are using.

"dshow:// :dshow-vdev="Panasonic MPEG2TS Tape Subunit Device" :dshow-adev="" :dshow-size="" :no-dshow-config "

is the line I added to what was originally in the target field. Notice the space between what was originally there and the line I added.

I then rename the file to

vlc_stream.exe

I then create two shortcuts on my desktop to both the original vlc.exe and the shortcut of it I created in the folder.

If I want to use vlc for viewing files I click on the one with the unmodified field.

If I want to view a stream instantly I just click on the one with the modified field.

Btw, changes to vlc's configuration made within the nightly builds appears to carry over in the registry to any subsequent builds you might use. Ditto that for using the reglar versions that come with their own installers. The settings carry over to the nightlies and vice versa.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:19 PM

Old 01-12-2005, 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jvheitz
Thanks to all for the instructions on how to connect my 6412 to my XP box.
I am having some difficulties:
I can record the ts with CapDVHS, and view it with VLC 0.8.1, but cannot view live thru VLC
Also, I cannot seem to convert the recorded ts to mpeg2 using hdtv to mpeg2 ver. 1.10.6 or 1.11 beta. It creates an mpeg file, but I cannot view it.
Thanks,
James

Yes, same here using vlc player but the created file views just fine using PowerDVD 6.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:47 PM

All I have to say is WOW!

I am in the Chicagoland area and they told me that the firewire was not enabled on the box. Yeah right! I hooked it up with the directions on the front page and used this program: Capdvhs.

Funny thing is it captured right away for me in .mpg. I was then able to play the thing right away using Windows Media Player. It seemed a little choppy, but my computer has been acting funny and I haven't rebooted in a long time.

Anyway, I thought broadcast flags are always turned on when viewing on HBO. Is that true or not?
Old 01-12-2005, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by airedale
All I have to say is WOW!

I am in the Chicagoland area and they told me that the firewire was not enabled on the box. Yeah right! I hooked it up with the directions on the front page and used this program: Capdvhs.

Funny thing is it captured right away for me in .mpg. I was then able to play the thing right away using Windows Media Player. It seemed a little choppy, but my computer has been acting funny and I haven't rebooted in a long time.

Anyway, I thought broadcast flags are always turned on when viewing on HBO. Is that true or not?

5C copy-protection over firewire (broadcast flag is something entirely different) is normally set to "copy one-generation" by most cable providers for premium channels, which also means the data is encrypted. If it's not set this way for you - then your cable co has probably screwed up & you should enjoy recording stuff until they discover their error.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:03 PM

Is there a website I can read that will get me up to date ont he 5C stuff and all the other HDTV standards like it?