How to record via IEEE 1394 (Firewire) to Windows XP - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 6029 Old 06-01-2004, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for this thread. I got the my laptop to record the OTA firewire stream from the LG 3410a. I recorded CSI Miami last night without any problems.

It appears that programs recorded to the Hard Disk do not stream to tjhe firewire port on playback. When I try to do a DVSH out dump, of recorded programs from the 3410a hard drive the 3410a does not recognize the laptop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 6029 Old 06-01-2004, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by wookatok
It appears that programs recorded to the Hard Disk do not stream to tjhe firewire port on playback. When I try to do a DVSH out dump, of recorded programs from the 3410a hard drive the 3410a does not recognize the laptop.

capDVHS is made for a DVHS deck. So it will only work for playback to a DVHS deck. We are lucky it works for what we use it for. Even if we had a piece of software that would allow playback we wouldn't still have everything we needed. We would need the correct driver that would allow us to send a command up the line and let the 3410 know it was coming. On top of that your 3410 would have to be a 1394 monitor device. You can tell if it is or not by the devices XP detects when you plug the 3410 in. If one of the devices is a monitor then it atleast has the ability to playback. I would bet it does not. Mitsubishi TV's do have the ability, and I still can not play back.

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
Engadget HD
post #93 of 6029 Old 06-01-2004, 07:37 PM

Followed the instructions on this thread...they were great

I can record/playback all analog, and most digital

I do not get ESPNHD, HBO-HD or INHD1 or 2

CapDVHS records a file that does not play

I suspect its related to what encryption/flag you guys were talking about

Is there a AVSsynth way out of this?

I am feeling sad...is all hopeless?

Pierre
post #94 of 6029 Old 06-01-2004, 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bdraw
capDVHS is made for a DVHS deck. So it will only work for playback to a DVHS deck. We are lucky it works for what we use it for. Even if we had a piece of software that would allow playback we wouldn't still have everything we needed. We would need the correct driver that would allow us to send a command up the line and let the 3410 know it was coming. On top of that your 3410 would have to be a 1394 monitor device. You can tell if it is or not by the devices XP detects when you plug the 3410 in. If one of the devices is a monitor then it atleast has the ability to playback. I would bet it does not. Mitsubishi TV's do have the ability, and I still can not play back.

So does this mean If I record using this procedure from Integrated Mits that I cannot play the recordings back using firewire?

Can I play them back to my Mits using some ohter method?

Details Please!!!!

THANKS!
post #95 of 6029 Old 06-01-2004, 08:43 PM

Quote:

I just want to calrify my last post. I only have regular cable and receive HD with my OTA antenna. I can record the HD OTA signal from the 3410a firewire port to my laptop with capDVSH. I can play the recorded program on the laptop with Elecard MPEG player.

Unless I'm missing something, the programs recorded to the 3410a hard drive do not stream to the firewire port on playback.

I would like to know if there is a way to access programs recorded on the 3410a hard drive and dump them to the laptop.

Thanks
post #96 of 6029 Old 06-02-2004, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by baeverly
So does this mean If I record using this procedure from Integrated Mits that I cannot play the recordings back using firewire?

Can I play them back to my Mits using some ohter method?

Unfortunatly that is the case.
Vividlogic has some longer overdue software that does just that, it is called DTVrecorder (aka Firebus) but it already long over due, and doesn't support 5C.

Ben
Engadget HD
post #97 of 6029 Old 06-02-2004, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ben and baeverly--

I have a kludgey workaround to play TS files back on my Sony 34XBR2 over its firewire input that may work here as well. Use whatever sw you have for "archiving" the TS to DVHS (e.g., DVHSTool, FusionHDTV, MyHD,...) and begin the transfer to tape after setting up the DTV to watch its 1394 input. This causes the Sony to display the stream that's going to tape and may work for a Mits DTV as well.
post #98 of 6029 Old 06-02-2004, 09:50 AM

TPerterson,

Do you actually need a DVHS device on the IEEE network for this to work? I just have a PC with firewire, Motorola 6200, and a Sony XBR2 with firewire input. Can I get this to work with my setup? That would be sweet.

-- Alvin
post #99 of 6029 Old 06-02-2004, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Wolfgang
Do you actually need a DVHS device on the IEEE network for this to work?...

Sorry, but I think the answer is "yes." The PC sw needs some device on the bus saying that it's a recorder before the transfer will initiate, and the DTV doesn't qualify--among other reasons because there's no driver for it on the PC.
post #100 of 6029 Old 06-02-2004, 01:16 PM

I still have not worked this out but someone else has the same problem I do:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...58#post3821258

I only get 2 devices a 61883 and an unknown. I have followed the directions to load. The "AV/C Tuner" dialog never shows up, just the "unknown" dialog. I force it to load the appropriate modified inf (meitape) for the Mot6208 and I get the Panasonic AV device under "Imaging Devices" but the 61883 has a yellow "i" saying "Code 10" cannot load the device. I have firmware 7.07 on the DVR. Please help.
post #101 of 6029 Old 06-02-2004, 11:12 PM

I'm having many of the same successes and failures already discussed, but here's one I can add:

I'm able to stream the fire wire from my 6200 on VLC if I:
1. go to "File/Open Capture Device" and enable the Panasonic under Video Device Name (as indicated by Bdraw)
2. do the same in "File/Open Network Stream" and apply the same settings.

However, more often that not I will skip frames or freeze up completely. But this is a good start. Yesterday I was filled with despair and today I am filled with hope. Thanks to everybody for the great work. I hope we can get the live HD sorted out soon. I have little interest in recording until I can also watch it in real-time.

jamie
(Adelphia - SoCal - Moto 6200 7.10 - can record all the HD channels I subscribe to)
post #102 of 6029 Old 06-06-2004, 01:03 PM

Just an FYI that I discovered when playing video directly thru VLC, you can use VLC to record the video too!!! If you follow the same instructions to view something directly from the motorola box by clicking File, open capture device, then you will see on the bottom of the screen that comes up, Stream output. Click that and hit settings, then you will want to check Fille, then use the browse option to give it a file name & destination. I put a .ts extension on the end of it myself and it works fine. So from what it seems, you can cut out Capdvhs completely from this now.
post #103 of 6029 Old 06-06-2004, 06:52 PM

EDIT: nevermind...
post #104 of 6029 Old 06-07-2004, 12:59 PM

Not sure if this is the right section for this question but here goes: I have a 6208 arriving on Friday to go with my Mits Integrated TV and my HTPC with Firewire. I understand that recording on the 6208 is limited to about 6 hours in HDTV mode. Does anyone know if I can download a file made from the 6208 onto my XP PC simply for archiving purposes? If so, could I then swap files back and forth? I assume I would need the drivers discussed in this forum? Thanks in advance.

Chris
post #105 of 6029 Old 06-07-2004, 02:46 PM

I just skimmed through this thread and did not see any mention of how playback is accomplished with a Mits and integrated tuner.

First of all, I have an integrated Mits so don't have a cable stb.

Can you play back from your pc to your integrated Mits via 1394?

Would the Mits commands for AV/C start and stop playback, pause etc or would you have to control playback through the PC?

Do you change the Mits input to the 1394 A/VC device?

Has anyone done this?

I have been using a RCA DVR10 with my Mits, but it has trouble recording reliably.

Regards,
Bryan
post #106 of 6029 Old 06-07-2004, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bryankeithg
I just skimmed through this thread and did not see any mention of how playback is accomplished with a Mits and integrated tuner.
Can you play back from your pc to your integrated Mits via 1394?
Would the Mits commands for AV/C start and stop playback, pause etc or would you have to control playback through the PC?
Has anyone done this?

Unfortunatly it is not currently possible to play back via 1394. Vividlogic is supposed to release software(DTVRecorder aka firebus) that emulates the DVR10 on windows XP but it is long over due and most have given up on it ever being released. If it is released it will fulfull all your requests.

Most people set up a HTPC using atleast a 1ghz p3 with a > Radeon 7500. It is pretty easy since the Mitsu has a VGA input you just need to setup Powerstrip to create the custom resolutions since your tv doesn't support most PC resolutions. Use this thread to get you started.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=206854

Once you can see your desktop then use this thread to get Zoomplayer up and running perfectly.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=395039

Ben
Engadget HD
post #107 of 6029 Old 06-07-2004, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"Unfortunatly it is not currently possible to play back via 1394."

Ben, this is not strictly speaking true. It is true that there appears to be no existing software that is designed for that purpose. However, I can play TS from my HTPC over firewire on my Sony KD34XBR2 in several ways and the playback is fine--but the means to do it is a user-unfriendly hack that I've described in several threads here already.

Can anyone confirm that the Mits DTVs can or cannot perform the same trick that my Sony does using my recipe?
post #108 of 6029 Old 06-08-2004, 08:00 PM

never mind.. I read what I needed to know... thanks again for the tutorial on 1394 and XP

Matt
post #109 of 6029 Old 06-09-2004, 05:35 AM

Has anybody tried this from a Hitachi TV with a built in tunner. All I care about is recording. I will play back over DVI to the TV.

My current computer does not have firewire. Anything special I need to look for in buying a firewire card?

Thanks,
Ben
post #110 of 6029 Old 06-09-2004, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TPeterson
Can anyone confirm that the Mits DTVs can or cannot perform the same trick that my Sony does using my recipe?

The mitsu has no way of selecting the 1394 input like the sony.
On the mitsu when you plug in a 1394 device it is added to Netcommand which is a menu driven GUI and a icon is added for the device. When you plug in your computer the TV doesn't prompt you to add it to Netcommand.

Ben
Engadget HD
post #111 of 6029 Old 06-09-2004, 07:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The mitsu has no way of selecting the 1394 input [un]like the sony.
On the mitsu when you plug in a 1394 device it is added to Netcommand which is a menu driven GUI and a icon is added for the device. When you plug in your computer the TV doesn't prompt you to add it to Netcommand.

Ben, thanks for your reply! Hmm...so each Mits DTV insists that it's always the bus controller, eh? What happens if you have two Mits DTVs on the bus? (An uncommon situation, to be sure, but one that a "universal" bus designer should've anticipated) If there's a way to set one of them to "non controller" mode you might be able to use my hack anyway....
post #112 of 6029 Old 06-10-2004, 04:41 AM
SOM

What parts do I need to make this happen? Do I need a D-VHS or does this workaround make my computer look like a D-VHS so all I would need is the Motorola cable box from the cable company, firewire connections on my PC, and the drivers? Do I need a HDTV card like MyHD MDP-120?

Thanks!!

SOM
post #113 of 6029 Old 06-10-2004, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Ben,

Any firewire card will work. I bought mine from newegg for $18 shipped. I has 3 external ports and a 6' 6 pin to 4 pin cable. It works perfectly.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...111-752&depa=0

You can also find the same card on ebay a little cheaper.

Derek
post #114 of 6029 Old 06-10-2004, 12:21 PM

I still have not worked this out , I have moto6208 with 7.07 update. when i connect to my PC (XP) I only get 2 devices:a 61883 and an unknown. I have followed the directions to load. The "AV/C Tuner" dialog never shows up, just the "unknown" dialog. PLEASE HELP (BDRAW HELP)
THANKS
post #115 of 6029 Old 06-10-2004, 05:18 PM

You need 7.10 firmware to get this to work

Paul
post #116 of 6029 Old 06-11-2004, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James Mos
Just an FYI that I discovered when playing video directly thru VLC, you can use VLC to record the video too!!! If you follow the same instructions to view something directly from the motorola box by clicking File, open capture device, then you will see on the bottom of the screen that comes up, Stream output. Click that and hit settings, then you will want to check Fille, then use the browse option to give it a file name & destination. I put a .ts extension on the end of it myself and it works fine. So from what it seems, you can cut out Capdvhs completely from this now.

Over in this thread Cliff Watson just posted information about MyHD beta software that lets you record using MyHD on one PC while watching the same program using MyHD on another PC via a network connection, thereby giving MyHD a live pause capability.

This also works if you capture the Firewire stream to a file using VLC 0.7.2 while watching the same file with MyHD.

-Dave

Edit: My PC rebooted after watching about 20 minutes of Leno streamed via Firewire and delayed by about five minutes, so there may be problems with this arrangement.
post #117 of 6029 Old 06-11-2004, 05:31 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally posted by DPlettner
Over in this thread Cliff Watson just posted information about MyHD beta software that lets you record using MyHD on one PC while watching the same program using MyHD on another PC via a network connection, thereby giving MyHD a live pause capability.

I added this capability to the accessDTV software about 6 months ago. The accessDTV software does not open files for exclusive access while reading or writing, so you should be able to use pretty much anything that will play TS files for playback so long as it doesn't open the files for exclusive access.
post #118 of 6029 Old 06-11-2004, 12:26 PM

I have firmware 7.10 and have gotten the drivers to install, but I still get a sample grabber error. Any reasons why? Thanks a lot for the tut.

"Ohhh, its red wire to red wire. Pfft, what idiot dreamed that up?" -Homer Simpson (installing Satellite)
post #119 of 6029 Old 06-11-2004, 04:07 PM

Ok, I'm a noob to this thread and digital cable. I just got a Motorola 6208 today. Will this work with my ATI AIW 8500dv? My 6208 firmware is 7.11.
post #120 of 6029 Old 06-11-2004, 06:20 PM

Just got my 6208 installed yesterday. Firmware is 7.10. I have everything hooked up as described in this thread and have all the drivers and programs installed. My computer is a P4 3.4 overclocked to 3.825 (so far) and my graphics card is a Geforce Fx5950.
My problem is when I play back any recording, anytime there is a fast moving scene its not fluid, it stutters a little bit and it drives me nuts. Anyone have an idea what to check for or what settings I could try to change?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page