AVS Forum banner

How to record via IEEE 1394 (Firewire) to Windows XP

3M views 6K replies 1K participants last post by  m. zillch 
#1 ·
First let me thank Timecop for discovering this process. He started a
thread a long time ago that became just too long and confusing so hopefully this will help.

This method should work for most 1394/Firewire enabled tuners. It has been tested on the Mitsubishi Integrated TV's, SA3250HD, Motorola 620X (with firmware 7.10 or higher), and the Samsung T165. *Please list your tests and I will update* This method will not allow you to capture 5C encrypted content, *see below for details* This method captures the original Transport stream sent by your provider, so if it is sent with DD 5.1 then you will capture DD5.1. This method only works with Digital channels, analogue cable channels will not work.

This method does not allow you to transfer shows already recorded on your HD DVR
only live TV.

You will need some drivers. Follow the link and Download firestb.msi.

If the link is bad, PM me and I'll fix it.

First device drivers. There are more MCE specific items included in the package, if you are using using XP then you only need the driver. You may also want to play with the channel changing software, which works on both XP and MCE. There is now a beta Vista Driver as well.
http://home.comcast.net/~timmmoore/w...0Firewire.html

For drivers only, there is a driver package that is continually updated to support new STBs, and there are some differences in how the drivers are loaded. If you have issues install the firestb drivers, it can be used with firestb instead of the drivers included with its installer.
http://home.comcast.net/~exdeus/stbfirewire/

There are a few pieces of software that I know of that can capture using these drivers, Capdvhs, DCTrecord and MCE using the included software.
http://www.yamabe.org/soft/CapDVHS0306e.zip
http://home.comcast.net/~brzez2/dctrecord.html

Now that you have everything you need.

Install firestb.msi, if you are using MCE, install the components you want. If you are running XP then at the very least install the "Firewire Drivers" component, you won't be able to double click on it, you will have to use a different command to skip the MCE required screen. Now you can just choose the driver.

Code:
Code:
MSIEXEC /i firestb.msi IDENT=0
Click continue anyway a the signed driver screen.

Plug in the 1394 cable.

Found new hardware wizard will come up.

Keep hitting cancel until you see "Tuner AV/C Device" or "Tuner AV/C Panel" as the hardware that was found. Install both like any other device.

Then Choose Install the software automatically (Recommended).

Click Next

Keep clicking Next.

Then click Finished.

Click cancel on any other devices that are automatically detected.

I would go back into Device manager and disable the other devices so windows doesn't keep looking for drivers on reboot.

Now open CAPDVHS and a device should be listed under capture device.

Under settings I have the following boxes checked.

Convert 188 bytes

Check PTS

Delete to SyncByte

I use .ts for all my file extensions and I left the file name format to the default.

Select the "Data Info." tab and hit the "Rec" Button.

You should see the info populated.

Hit stop and check your file.
Elecard works well for playback or Sasem OnAir Editor or VLC

or http://theatertek.com/

To play with zoomplayer check this thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=395039

**Now you change the channel via 1394 and use with MCE see the readme for complete directions.
http://www.thegreenbutton.com/commun...ssageID=104152

**Attention this is a recording thread. For playback issues please check out the home theater PC forum . **
For conversion help check out this guide.
http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/index.html

The files captured from this process are the same as from most HD PC recording techniques and playback issues are the same. Please don't post in here asking how to get smooth playback. There are plenty of discussions in the correct area on that topic. Also please don't ask how to convert to DVD, or any other conversion question. There are plenty of thread dedicated to that topic also. This thread is already too long to read, and I appreciate everyone helping out by staying on topic.

**Added 5/26/04 **

To watch live HD without capturing first.

Open VLC v7.2 *might work with other versions.

Choose "File" > "Open Capture Device"

To the right of "Video device name" click "Refresh List" Then choose "Panasonic MPEG2TS Tape Sub" from the drop down.

Click "OK"

Just a word of advice if I hit "Configure" or "Advanced Options" It blue screens my computer.

This seems to be much more resource intensive than watching a captured file. My AMD 2600 works at ~83% if I don't resize or any other effect. Any effect drives it to 100%.

You can also setup a shortcut to run VLC with the parms for picking up the stream automatically.

Target:

"C:\\Program Files\\VideoLAN\\VLC\\vlc.exe" "dshow:// :dshow-vdev="Panasonic MPEG2TS Tape Subunit Device" :dshow-adev="" :dshow-size="" :no-dshow-config "

Start In:

"C:\\Program Files\\VideoLAN\\VLC"

*Thanks to E Jackson*

Troubleshooting

If you can't load the driver, go over the directions again and again, make sure you don't miss any steps. It does require you to force XP to accept the drivers.

If the driver is loaded but the files are 0bytes after recording. Then you may have the driver loaded improperly or your cable company may have copy protection(5C) enabled. Try a different channel or search the original thread for someone who lives near you to see if they are having the same problem. You may also be able to reboot the Tuner. It is impossible to record content marked copy once, because it is protected from multiple copies. Typically if your provider is encrypting, than the only channels you would be able to record are the channels that are also available over the air.

**Added 2/6/06**

Changed drivers to the above. Added channel chaning support.

**Added 3/18/05**

If you have XP SP2 and you can't get it to work see this post.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...13#post5315313

**Added 2/22/05**

If you have a Motorola 620x Check this post to see if that channel is 5C protected. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...86#post3855086

If you have a SA DVR with Passport
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...80#post4617480

If you have a SA DVR with SARA
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...67#post4613067

You may also have the wrong firmware version for the Motorola 620x, to check this.

To check firmware on Moto 6200:

Menu- Setup- Cable Box- See Configuration- one of the entries on that page is Firmware. * Thanks drbenson*

If you are using a Motorola 620X with an older firmware you may need to replace your Meitape.inf from the zip file with this one. Try the original one first.
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~balaz...es/Meitape.inf

**Updated link to firestb.zip** 7/12/07

This is V.04 of this document please post corrections and suggestions.

See less See more
#3,228 ·
hmmm, I have astound cable service and well, i have a 3250HD box with firewire ports. The drivers install perfectly fine. However, i was able to get capdvhs and vlc to play/record one second of video before it would crash. capdvhs would just crash the program while vlc would crash my computer.

oh wait.. hmm, it seems i can record all SD HBO channels. thats weird. but it doesnt seem to do anything for anything else. i cant even grab the local HD channels.

EDIT: also, ive been trying to look for the command/keypresses to show the status of the 5c protection. to see which programs/channels are copy once, free view, etc. but i havent found anything that says this. any ideas?

#3,229 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Garci /forum/post/0

From 47CFR76.640 :

"(4) Cable operators shall:

(i) Effective April 1, 2004, upon request of a customer, replace any leased high definition set-top box, which does not include a functional IEEE 1394 interface, with one that includes a functional IEEE 1394 interface or upgrade the customer's set-top box by download or other means to ensure that the IEEE 1394 interface is functional."

Eric, Thanks! Really appreciate it.

I'm all set for this Monday, I'm going to try to get a replacement STB from Comcast (one below 16.20) and ask them how to avoid future firmware push.

#3,230 ·
I found a Copy Protection section on the diagnostic menu. (i did some more searching and i got it to that point, it turned out i was pushing the buttons wrong)

under it it says

Outputs

-----------Protection Type Enabled Constrained

DVI/HDMI: none-----------no-------- no

YPrPb: none ---------------yes-------- no (strangely was disabled when first starting PC until i changed channels)

1394: Unavailable---------Unavailable

Composite: none

Policies

HDMI: 0x0000000C v1

YPrPb: 0x00000002 v1

1394: 0x00000000 v1

Composite: 0x00000000 v1

VOD: 0x00000000 v1

CCI Events

Source Destination CIT EPN EMI BF APS

RF------Video Output---no--- no--freely-no--disabled

RF------Video Output---no--- no--freely-no--disabled

Now this screen true for all channels.

I am able to watch all of my HBO channels without any glitches using vlc. changing to HD froze the computer, the music channels work but the audio skips like crazy.

strangely, i just power cycled the tuner box and i can view through vlc most hd channels. however the only one that comes through without breaking up/glitches is HDNET. local channels come through all blocky, HBOHD is even worse. Everything else is about teh same as the local channels. i was also able to record a brief few seconds of my channel 902 (local channel FOX2, in HD broadcast) they just finished the news, and was playing a non hd version of friends, before it just cut off the recording and crashed the capdvhs recording program. the recordings do look better without glitches, there is just some page tearing objects as things get jagged when being moved around. im guessing thats just from being recorded from interlaced instead of progressive mode. any ideas on why my computer/program crashes when recording certain channels? but i can view them in vlc with tons of artifacts?

#3,231 ·
Is there a way to get these techniques to work to archive content off an AVHD via the IEEE1394/firewire interface ? So far I have not had any luck using it with my new Symbio on a Toshiba 42HP595 TV with cablecard. It would be helpful to archive some of the shows before the Symbio fills up. I am not sure which driver to use, or even where to get the proper driver. CapDVHS allows a Generic driver I found somewhere, but after the recording is done the file size is 0, or about 90bytes and unreadable. I am using Windows XP. Any suggestions would be welcome. Coincidentally, I do have a Motorola DCT6412 in another room, but that is not the unit I need to archive from. Thanks

#3,232 ·
At one point in installing the firestb.msi my XP Home edition recognized my Pace Micro TDC 775 - but the installation could not complete - both the Tuner AV/C Device and the AV/C Panel show incompatibility issues in Device Manager. I am going to assume this device is just simply unsupported at this time, unless someone else has a solution......

#3,233 ·
Hey, don't you hate it when someone says, "hi, I'm new here", as if it's not obvious? Yeah, so I won't bother with that.

But anyway, I've got a problem. I'm trying to capture HD video onto an older PC from my SA 8300HD, using firewire (obviously). Maybe I should've started a new thread, but this seemed like a good place to post this. Because my newest PC is upstairs and my DVR is downstairs, the PC I'm trying to use is an old Athlon XP 1700+, with a GeForce2 GTS Pro, and only 512MB of RAM. It's a piece of crap, I know, but I'm not planning on watching anything on it. I was planning on burning the videos to DVD and playing them elsewhere.

Because that PC is about 4 years old, I had to buy a firewire PCI card, and I've already installed that without a problem. I had everything up and running just fine, until I tried to install the drivers which are posted on the first page of this thread (firestb.zip). Right near the end of the installation, I got an error message saying "a DLL required for the installation to complete could not be read". I thought that perhaps the installer was corrupt, so I tried again with another copy, but to no avail. The drivers do install on the newest PC though, so the installer can't be the problem. Now, while the older PC is running XP, I don't believe I ever installed Service Pack 2, which I'm thinking may be the problem. I would've just done it right now, and then tried to install the drivers again, but that PC isn't connected to the internet. To do that, I'd have to run an Ethernet cable all the way downstairs, so I don't want to do that unless I absolutely have to. So could the lack of Service Pack 2 be the problem here?

One more thing -- and I feel stupid for asking this -- but, do I need a TV tuner card to do what I'm trying to do? I don't know very much about this, and something it says on the first page, "There are a few pieces of software that I know of that can capture using these drivers..." made me think I could do it without a tuner card. Did I completely misinterpret that?

#3,235 ·
Ok, thanks. But what am I supposed to do with those? To tell you the truth, I'm not even sure exactly what those drivers are for. It seems the more time I spend on this, the more confused I get. Because the older computer isn't connected to the internet, I put the drivers, and a copy of the first page of this thread on a CD, and took it downstairs to try and hook everything up. But when I plug in the firewire cable, I'm not seeing anything that says "Tuner AV/C Device" or "Tuner AV/C Panel". The new hardware wizard pops up twice, but with something labeled as "unknown". After repeating the process several times, I decided to try and install the drivers for "unknown", so I chose "install the drivers automatically", but it said it was unable to find the software, and asked to look online, which of course it can't do at the moment. So I'm completely stuck here. I've been trying to follow the instructions on the first page of this thread, but nothing is working for me.

Also, there are two firewire ports on the back of the DVR, so I thought that perhaps only one was active, and I had picked the wrong one. So I tried the other one, and while a box on the bottom right of the screen did pop up saying "Scientific Atlanta 8300HD", the new hardware wizard never said anything other than "unknown". During the course of this, I've had to plug and unplug the firewire cord several times to bring up the new hardware wizard, and I've yet to see that pop up box which says "SA 8300HD" like I did that first time. Although, something does pop up in the bottom right corner of the screen for a fraction of a second before the new hardware wizard appears, but there's not enough time to read it.

#3,236 ·
unknown device pops up a few times, before it says tuner.

i think the third device it found for my 3250 was the tuner, then it was panel..

do this, uninstal all drivers/hardware found in the device manager. then reboot when prompted. install the drivers found on the first page. then wait till after you reboot. after rebooting, then plug the cord into your 8300hd(be sure that the power is off, it will automatically turn on when you plug it in).

#3,238 ·
no its the cable box... av tuner device or whatever, and av panel device.

edit: if it helps any, i installed 3/4 of the things that were listed in the msi program. the first and the last two items. i dont know if that had anything to do with it. but it worked for me. i find it kinda strange that your box is somewhat recognized, but then doesnt fully connect. did you look in your device manager? and what happens if you unhide your hidden devices? do you see anything then? im thinking its installed.... check under capture devices.

#3,241 ·
I looked at the device manager while plugging and unplugging the firewire cord, and there are 4 new things when it's plugged in, all of which have a little yellow icon next to them, representing the fact that there's a problem with their drivers. There's something called "61883 Class Bus Device", "AVC Device", and two instances of "unknown device" under "other devices".

Also, I couldn't find any reference to "capture devices". As for what you said about installing 3 of the 4 things in the msi program, I can't install any of them, as I got an error message near the end of the installation. That's why grittree posted the drivers by themselves. But as I said, I'm not exactly sure what to do with them. Without an installer, I'm lost.

#3,242 ·
It's not real easy because you have to disregard what MS suggests.

For each wizard that pops up, disagree with everything MS suggests until you get to a 'have disk' button. Click that (disregard specifying what type of device it is) and point to the meistb.inf in the driver package.

You will end up with one or two devices that wont install a driver. Disable them in device manager. The one that you want will say something like 'AV/C Device'.

#3,244 ·
Well, I have good news and bad news. I uninstalled those 4 things from the device manager, unplugged the firewire cord, and plugged it in again. This time, for some reason, after closing the new hardware wizard for both "unknown" devices, it appeared a 3rd time with "AV/C Tuner", just like it's supposed to. I installed the driver you (grittree) posted, and everything seemed fine. But then, it said that more new hardware had been detected, and the wizard popped up again, saying "AV/C tuner" again, or something similar ("AV/C panel device", perhaps). So I selected "install driver automatically", and it did. But then I got an error message saying that there was a problem, and that the device didn't start up. I thought perhaps that was normal, since it seems that this whole process involves ignoring what Windows has to say. I was prompted to reboot, and I did, and everything seemed ok. I opened the CapDVHS program, set it up as directed, and tried to record from ESPNHD. But the moment I hit record, I got an illegal operation. I took a look in the device manage, and saw two new entries -- "Scientific-Atlanta AV/C Panel Device", and "Scientific-Atlanta Tuner AV/C Device. But the first one has an exclamation point next to it, indicating a driver problem. When the wizard popped up that last time, should I not have automatically installed the driver? Should I have done something different?

Normally I'd just uninstall everything and try again, but I'm a bit afraid to, considering how many attempts it took for it to recognize the STB. Any suggestions?

#3,247 ·
For the second time now, my PC fails to recognize my 6512. Was working fine for a while, and now it's gone. Firewire card is ok. This happened before and I had comcast replace my box and it was fine for a while. Has anyone else experienced this? I have disconnected the firewire cable and reconnected it, and the new hardware wizard does not appear. I'm wondering if the firewire port went bad in the STD. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

#3,250 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFanTony /forum/post/0

hi

I have followed the above steps and it all worked, however now my DVR is having issues. I can no longer fast forward or rewind. The arrows come up, but it just jerks forward slowly at the same speed as normal.

I have the exact same problem (and it's driving me insane!). Anyone out there who can help?

#3,251 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJK06 /forum/post/0

So both "Scientific-Atlanta AV/C Panel Device" and "Scientific-Atlanta Tuner AV/C Device" need meistb.inf as their driver?

yep just do it again... uninstall everything, reboot, then reinstall from msi, then reboot.. but dont just plug it back in without restarting. the unknowns just skip.. then you can automatically just install the drivers.

panel doesnt matter, cause thats just to change channels. tuner is what gets you the video. and it probably gave you illegal operation cause its 5c protected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.