Nextcom R5000-HD (For Satellite and OTA HD Recording) - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1609 Old 07-16-2005, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a R5000 modded Dish6000. When I record a high def channel, it works flawlessly. When I record a low def channel, the video has pid=11 and audio is pid 0x0. When I try to play the file, I get video only. Does anyone know a fix for this?

Thanks,
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1609 Old 07-16-2005, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by automagic View Post

I have a R5000 modded Dish6000. When I record a high def channel, it works flawlessly. When I record a low def channel, the video has pid=11 and audio is pid 0x0. When I try to play the file, I get video only. Does anyone know a fix for this?

Thanks,
Paul

What channel? What does TSReader show in the PID pages? I don't do much SD recording, but last time I recoreded HBO-E on channel 300 it worked fine...

-Techtom
post #813 of 1609 Old 07-16-2005, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Most of the standard def channels on E* and D* use Mpeg Audio, not Dolby Digital for sound (HBO-E is an exception). You must use a decoder that can handle Mpeg Audio.

Steve
post #814 of 1609 Old 07-16-2005, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjr View Post

Most of the standard def channels on E* and D* use Mpeg Audio, not Dolby Digital for sound (HBO-E is an exception). You must use a decoder that can handle Mpeg Audio.

VideoLan's vlc player will play MPEG2-TS files with mpeg or AC-3 audio.

-T
post #815 of 1609 Old 07-17-2005, 07:21 AM

Well I've tried two different drives and different cables and I still get problems with Windows having "Write failures". I think it might have something to do with the drives spinning down or going offline after hours of non-use.

I was hoping to hook up a laptop to my r5000 and use firedrives to store the shows on.

I may investigate the use of USB2 drives.
post #816 of 1609 Old 07-17-2005, 08:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwooster View Post

Well I've tried two different drives and different cables and I still get problems with Windows having "Write failures". I think it might have something to do with the drives spinning down or going offline after hours of non-use.

I was hoping to hook up a laptop to my r5000 and use firedrives to store the shows on.

Is it a "Write Failure" or "Delayed Write Failed"? The "Delayed Write Failed" message is a particularly tough one. If that's your message, lots of people have had the issue, especially with FireWire drives, but even with internals. Do a Google search for some possible solutions. There are lots of suggestions out there.

Joe Clark

Joe Clark

post #817 of 1609 Old 07-17-2005, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Another thought. Did you set your drives not to spin down? (Right click the desktop. Click the "Screen Saver" tab, then the "Power" button. Select "Turn Off Hard Disks - Never".)

Joe Clark

Joe Clark

post #818 of 1609 Old 07-17-2005, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the tip about keeping the hard drives spinning. I'll try it sometime.

Has anyone used the r5000 system with a laptop / note book? Right now I am using a shuttle pc + a 15 inch monitor + external firewire drives with the r5000. With the laptop it could just be the laptop and the drive(s). A laptop in the HT room should also be much quieter and less obtrusive.

- Ajay
post #819 of 1609 Old 07-17-2005, 09:08 PM

Thanks for the replies. It'll still be a couple of days before I'm home again to try these things.

Thanks
post #820 of 1609 Old 07-17-2005, 09:15 PM

Quote:

I am using the software on a shuttle pc. I hooked up two different firewire drives to the PC and have been able to use them to record programs. Sometimes when I come home from work and look at the windows desktop I see an error message saying something about a "Write failure" to the firewire drives.

Has anyone else had these problems? Does anyone know of a work around?

Thanks for any help.

I have played around A LOT with External Hard Drives over USB2 and Firewire.

I have units from Seagate, Maxtor and Western Digital. I also have about a dozen external 3rd party drive enclosures for USB2 and/or Firewire.

All of them have been problematic in Shuttles and other Computers of different makes. It does not matter if the IEEE1394 or USB2 Connection is on the motherboard or on a plug in card.

There are major crosslink errors when copying/moving files as big as HDTV caps to External Hard Drives over Firewire or USB2.

A worst problem that happens (and I know of multiple people across USA and Europe who have all experienced it) is that after failures such as you describe, in many instances the hard drive is then marked unformatted. Even on another system, it's hosed. All caps are gone and thus far no recovery program has been able to salvage the caps at all.

As for myself and others, we have totally abandoned External Firewire and USB2 drives for this reason. If you feel lucky and want to buy some enclosures (as I said I have about a dozen) message me. But for now I hang an ATA cable out of several computers (even a shuttle). It doesn't look nice - but I no longer loose drives or have serious crosslinked files either.
post #821 of 1609 Old 07-17-2005, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

For anyone wishing to avoid the troubles of USB and FireWire enclosures, I'd suggest an external SATA enclosure, using either SATA or eSATA connectors.
post #822 of 1609 Old 07-18-2005, 03:28 AM

The error that I have been getting with my firewire drives is: "Window Delayed Write Failure". Does anyone know what that means?

I have used Seagate and Western Digital drives, the WDs seem to have less problems that the Seagate.

The really annoying thing is that the system works fine about 90% of the time. Its just that when I am trying to get that crucial recording that Murphys law kicks in and there is a drive problem.

I may just switch to an old PC that I have lying around and load it up with hard drives.

The external firewire drives were useful because I could hook them up to my Mac and then copy over HD files to it.
post #823 of 1609 Old 07-18-2005, 08:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

I have played around A LOT with External Hard Drives over USB2 and Firewire.

I have units from Seagate, Maxtor and Western Digital. I also have about a dozen external 3rd party drive enclosures for USB2 and/or Firewire.

All of them have been problematic in Shuttles and other Computers of different makes. It does not matter if the IEEE1394 or USB2 Connection is on the motherboard or on a plug in card.

There are major crosslink errors when copying/moving files as big as HDTV caps to External Hard Drives over Firewire or USB2.

A worst problem that happens (and I know of multiple people across USA and Europe who have all experienced it) is that after failures such as you describe, in many instances the hard drive is then marked unformatted. Even on another system, it's hosed. All caps are gone and thus far no recovery program has been able to salvage the caps at all.

As for myself and others, we have totally abandoned External Firewire and USB2 drives for this reason. If you feel lucky and want to buy some enclosures (as I said I have about a dozen) message me. But for now I hang an ATA cable out of several computers (even a shuttle). It doesn't look nice - but I no longer loose drives or have serious crosslinked files either.

That explains what happened to me. I have 3 external USB drives and dump HD movies from one PC to another. I had a 250gig HD full of movies. Next thing I know it said it needed to be formatted. I could no longer access the drive and all my movies were gone. I thought I was doing something wrong because I knew the drive was full of movies.
Thanks for pointing this out.
post #824 of 1609 Old 07-18-2005, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

That explains what happened to me. I have 3 external USB drives and dump HD movies from one PC to another. I had a 250gig HD full of movies. Next thing I know it said it needed to be formatted. I could no longer access the drive and all my movies were gone. I thought I was doing something wrong because I knew the drive was full of movies.

I too originally thought it was me....until it happened about 10 times. Then when talking with others, they had the same thing happen.

This seems to be a deep dark bug in Windows (both XP and 2000) that no one has yet addressed - but it real.
post #825 of 1609 Old 07-18-2005, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The error that I have been getting with my firewire drives is: "Window Delayed Write Failure". Does anyone know what that means?

I have used Seagate and Western Digital drives, the WDs seem to have less problems that the Seagate.

The really annoying thing is that the system works fine about 90% of the time. Its just that when I am trying to get that crucial recording that Murphys law kicks in and there is a drive problem.

I may just switch to an old PC that I have lying around and load it up with hard drives.

The external firewire drives were useful because I could hook them up to my Mac and then copy over HD files to it.

This is the error message I got several times. It is far too common. If you do a Google search on "Delayed Write Failed" you will come across a file on possible solutions that should be near the top of the list. You can try that. My problem was that it was with internal drives, striped into a software raid 0 in Win XP. Nothing that I found helped the problem. (There was no way for me to disable Write Back Caching, as some of the solutions indicated. The option was grayed out.) The way I eventually solved it was to add a dedicated raid card to the system. This allowed me to stripe the two offending software striped drives (2x 250gig WD's) in hardware. Since then, no problems.

Joe Clark

Joe Clark

post #826 of 1609 Old 07-18-2005, 02:40 PM

I've never been able to get my r5000 to record to my JVC HM-DH5U deck so I have been using DVHSTool to back up shows to my DH5U.

I have a JVC HM-DH30000 hooked up to my home theater projector.

Today I used my PC + DH5U to make a tape of "The Day After Tomorrow". Then I played it back from the DH5U to a Sony HDTV and the playback seemed to be flawless.

Later on I decided to watch the movie on my DH30000 and was horrified to find multiple audio and video glitches on the tape. The glitches manifested as follows:

The video would slow down and then stop with some block patches and the audio would drop out. My AV receiver displayed a loss of the Dolby Digital signal from the DH30000.

After a few seconds the movie would resume and the audio would also come back.

I played the same tape several times on my DH5U and it plays perfectly.

I then played the same tape several times on my DH30000 and the glitches always occur in the same places.

My conclusion is that the DH30000 does not perfectly playback recordings that are made from the r5000 to the DH5U.

I do not know why this is happening but I will try more experiments to find out what is going on.

Has anyone else had these problems?
post #827 of 1609 Old 07-18-2005, 04:44 PM

Quote:

I've never been able to get my r5000 to record to my JVC HM-DH5U deck so I have been using DVHSTool to back up shows to my DH5U.

I have a JVC HM-DH30000 hooked up to my home theater projector.

Today I used my PC + DH5U to make a tape of "The Day After Tomorrow". Then I played it back from the DH5U to a Sony HDTV and the playback seemed to be flawless.

Later on I decided to watch the movie on my DH30000 and was horrified to find multiple audio and video glitches on the tape. The glitches manifested as follows:

The video would slow down and then stop with some block patches and the audio would drop out. My AV receiver displayed a loss of the Dolby Digital signal from the DH30000.

After a few seconds the movie would resume and the audio would also come back.

I played the same tape several times on my DH5U and it plays perfectly.

I then played the same tape several times on my DH30000 and the glitches always occur in the same places.

My conclusion is that the DH30000 does not perfectly playback recordings that are made from the r5000 to the DH5U.

I do not know why this is happening but I will try more experiments to find out what is going on.

Has anyone else had these problems?

If you search through several years, there are multiple threads and posts about problems playing DVHS tapes recorded on one model DVHS back on another DVHS model. This most likely has nothing to do with the R5000HD.
post #828 of 1609 Old 07-18-2005, 05:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Your deck is out of alignment sir, one of them anyways, no way to know, if a tape only plays great on the deck it was recorded on it could very well be recorded misaligned, then again the recording deck could be perfect and the playback deck misaligned

try the manual tracking feature

-Gary
post #829 of 1609 Old 07-18-2005, 07:10 PM

What exactly is the "manual tracking feature"?

I figured that since the difference in the playback is at the EXACT same point using different machines that it might be some difference in the encoders / decoders used in the different machines.

Thanks for any help.
post #830 of 1609 Old 07-18-2005, 09:06 PM

I recorded a movie using my r5000. I played it via DVHSTool to my HM-DH5U and then out to my HDTV with no glitches.

I then recorded the movie to tape using the deck with DVHSTool and there are numerous glitches in playback of the tape from the HM-DHU and my 30000.

Just to prove that it wasn't the PC / DVHSTool that was the problem I copied the ts file from my hard drive to my Mac and used Mac based tools to make a tape from the file using a 30000 deck. The tape had the same glitches in the same spots.

There must be some error in the recorded data that is causing this problem,

Right now my old 169time recordings (1 - 2 tiny glitches per movie) are looking better than the r5000 ones!
post #831 of 1609 Old 07-18-2005, 09:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

perfect live viewing of stuff on the 5u deck is one thing, playing the tape back is another, this is very common, the problem is the crap firewire usage in dvhstool and windows xp

r5000-hd wrote their own filter because of this and it is used for d-vhs recording and they say they will add it to their program soon so that one can send their recordings from Hard drive to d-vhs using their custom filter, can't wait for that

-Gary
post #832 of 1609 Old 07-19-2005, 02:55 PM

Note that I transferred the ts file to a Mac and used mac tools to make a dvhs tape of the show and the same glitches were in that recording as the one from the PC. That means that the glitch is likely to be in the ts file itself and has nothing to do with Windows XP / DVHSTool / Mac OS X VirtualDVHS.
post #833 of 1609 Old 07-20-2005, 09:07 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

This is the error message I got several times. It is far too common. If you do a Google search on "Delayed Write Failed" you will come across a file on possible solutions that should be near the top of the list. You can try that. My problem was that it was with internal drives, striped into a software raid 0 in Win XP. Nothing that I found helped the problem. (There was no way for me to disable Write Back Caching, as some of the solutions indicated. The option was grayed out.) The way I eventually solved it was to add a dedicated raid card to the system. This allowed me to stripe the two offending software striped drves (2x 250gig WD's) in hardware. Since then, no problems.

Joe Clark

Yep, saw lots of this with my external firewire enclosures. After lots of data loss and more anoyance than value I decided to scrap the enclosures. But before I did, I hooked them up to another computer to get the data off. After, 2 months now, not a single delayed write error.
Different chipsets make a difference. Finding the right combo is probably not worth it. I would definitely go with external sata if possible. Also, I did dedicate a firewire card for EACH enclosure. That might have helped. Have fun
post #834 of 1609 Old 07-24-2005, 03:06 PM

I am using a Shuttle SB51G XPC for my home theater / R5000 rig.

It worked well with external firewire drives but sometimes I would get "Windows Write Failure Errors". The r5000 software was never able to record to a DVHS tape.

I also had a few recordings that had glitches.

So now I installed two 300 gig hard drives into the Shuttle XPC (it was a tight fit) and we'll see what happens with the internal drive setup.
post #835 of 1609 Old 07-26-2005, 08:17 PM

Quote:

I am using a Shuttle SB51G XPC for my home theater / R5000 rig.

It worked well with external firewire drives but sometimes I would get "Windows Write Failure Errors". The r5000 software was never able to record to a DVHS tape.

I also had a few recordings that had glitches.

So now I installed two 300 gig hard drives into the Shuttle XPC (it was a tight fit) and we'll see what happens with the internal drive setup.

I have 3 drives in all my network SB52Gs. 2 drives are a breeze.
post #836 of 1609 Old 07-26-2005, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

Alan, HDTVFanAtic,

I have about a dozen PCs and 1 Mac mini. My Linux Server has over 1.3TB of RAID space and I have countless IDE drives in various USB and Firewire enclosures totaling around another 1 TB of storage or so (mostly 5yrs warrantee Seagates). My Firewire PCI cards are mostly the VIA chipset types that Fry's has on sale for $9-$10 occasionally. I move large HD files (often 30GB+) around all the time and I've had very few problems. On one particular laptop, I've seen a very occasional delayed write failure, but no data loss.

I always use NTFS with defaults and never use extended partitions, logical disks, or dynamic volumes. The biggest problem I've encountered is Windows failure to detect new firewire drives, occasionally. Once a new drive is detected, Windows seems to be okay for future hot swaps, but that first time can be a pain. XP SP2 1394 drivers are known to be problematic. I prefer SP1 level or Server 2003 firewire drivers. And finally, my Mac mini has windows beat in this department--particularly on firewire. HPFS+ works flawlessly every time I plug in a drive! Actually, it seems to read (only) NTFS drives okay too, but I don't have much experience with this feature on the Mac.
post #837 of 1609 Old 07-27-2005, 12:45 PM

My Powerbook can read my PC NTFS Firewire drives without any problems. I use it to playback stuff to my DVHS deck and record to my DVHS deck.

The Powerbook sees the NTFS drives as read only though, maybe this has something to do with the drives permissions?
post #838 of 1609 Old 07-27-2005, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

The version 2.0 software is now available as an official release. Download from the support area at: www.r5000-hd.com

There are only minor tweaks made to the release versions. They are differentiated mainly by the replacement of many modal alerts & notification dialogs with self-destroying yellow balloons. The firmware version increments to 1.6 due to a change made for development purposes only.

-R
post #839 of 1609 Old 07-27-2005, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calinb View Post

Alan, HDTVFanAtic,

I have about a dozen PCs and 1 Mac mini. My Linux Server has over 1.3TB of RAID space and I have countless IDE drives in various USB and Firewire enclosures totaling around another 1 TB of storage or so (mostly 5yrs warrantee Seagates).

As I was walking with 3 Seagate 400GB drives in a Shuttle HD Chassis enclosure through the parking lot of Home Depot last night to try and find a proper screw I need, I was thinking "I've got 1.2TB in my right hand which is more than most business servers even dream of".

You have "countless IDE drives in various USB and Firewire enclosures totaling 1TB" and have not lost a drive as Alan and I describe.

Yet the 2 of us have.

Get back to use when you reach 10TB-40TB.

The odds are against you.

But whatever works for you.
post #840 of 1609 Old 07-28-2005, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

You have "countless IDE drives in various USB and Firewire enclosures totaling 1TB" and have not lost a drive as Alan and I describe.

Yet the 2 of us have.

Yup--go figure! Actually, I said my firewire and USB drives total "around" 1TB. Turns out that estimate was a bit low when I started to add it up. I also have many more drives permanently installed in systems--probably totaling closer to the 10TB number that you seem to feel is a representative sample size. I've never purchased a drive over 250GB in size. I prefer the GB/$ value of the mature products. My current price point is around $0.25 / GB (after rebate, of course ) The 400s are still way above that! I suspect there may be some reliability benefits to my strategy too. I have a couple of 10,000 rpm Raptors mirrored in my server but all my other drives are cheap IDE drives.

I have lost a few drives (more Maxtors than Seagates or WDs), but never in the manner you described (delayed write failure). Most of the drives failed S.M.A.R.T checks or factory diagnostics before data loss occurred. I always remove a drive and test it with the latest factory diagnostics before the warrantee expires. If it fails the diagnostics, I clone the drive and RMA it to the manufacturer.

Your frequent problems with delayed write failures are puzzling. I find such events to be very rare. Maybe the el' cheapo $9-$10 VIA-based firewire PCI cards I get on sale at Fry's are responsible for my success
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page