Moxi ( Motorola BMC90xx ) Q&A and Discussion Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12084 Old 06-14-2004, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have a moxi unit yet? Are they available?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12084 Old 06-14-2004, 06:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Valuepac,

Moxis are only available to Charter customers in Rochester, Minn at this time. The first Moxi deployments to other markets are expected this fall. Charter has placed an order for 70,000+ Moxis, while Comcast has ordered 40,000 -- for deployment late this year and next.
post #3 of 12084 Old 06-16-2004, 12:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bfdtv
Valuepac,

The first Moxi deployments to other markets are expected this fall. Charter has placed an order for 70,000+ Moxis, while Comcast has ordered 40,000 -- for deployment late this year and next.

We expect some new markets to come online well before the fall, (which begins this year on September 22). Stay tuned for announcements throughout the summer.

BTW: Charter's order for 70,000 units of the Moxi Media Center for use on Scientific Atlanta networks is in addition to their previous order for 100,000 units of the Motorola BMC9000 series. Adelphia has ordered 25,000 units as well.
post #4 of 12084 Old 06-16-2004, 02:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

MoxiGuy,

Did you guys disclose the breakdown between Moxi and Moxi Powerkey for the 40,000 boxes ordered by Comcast?
post #5 of 12084 Old 06-16-2004, 04:18 AM
Advanced Member

Comcast has ordered all Motoroloa BMC units.
post #6 of 12084 Old 06-16-2004, 06:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
MoxiGuy- Welcome to the forum!

I'll guess from your name you have some relationship with Moxi? If so, do you know if Firewire boxes are planned anytime soon?

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #7 of 12084 Old 06-16-2004, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

DaveFi,

Good guess as to my afiliation. I'm happy to clarify anything about our current product (or announced enhancements.) But, I won't comment on unannounced HW. How important do you rate Firewire as a feature?

BTW: I'll refer you to a great point that bfdtv made elsewhere:
Quote:

I think it is "pretty slick" that you can trade in your cable DVR for new, next-generation models as they become available -- at little or no cost (typically $0-$30).

post #8 of 12084 Old 06-16-2004, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Firewire is a must. Many of us, especially in the "Recorders" forum have DVHS decks. Without Firewire DVHS is useless. FCC rules state a cable co has to offer at least 1 Firewire enabled product anyways- wouldn't you want it to be a Moxi?

Given the choice between a Moxi w/no Firewire and something else w/Firewire I'll have to choose the later.

post #9 of 12084 Old 06-16-2004, 09:12 AM

What is the difference between a Moxi and a Motorola BMC unit as it relates to the Comcast order? Are they different names for the same box?
post #10 of 12084 Old 06-16-2004, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by sgtjim
What is the difference between a Moxi and a Motorola BMC unit as it relates to the Comcast order? Are they different names for the same box?

I have three answers for you.

The short answer is: no difference. They are two names for the same box.

If you have the time, here's the long answer:

Moxi is the brand under which Digeo markets our Media Center products. These products consist of hardware reference designs, software, and back-end services. We've licensed our HW reference design to Motorola. They use their own branding on the product. They build it and sell it to cable operators as a Motorola Broadband Media Center (BMC). So their official product name is Motorola BMC9012 with Moxi. the "12" at the end means 1 room, 2 tuners.

Later this year, they will introduce the Motorola BMC9022D with Moxi 2 rooms, 2 tuners, DVD/CD drive. The initial Comcast order is for the 9012 (one-room version). (Both models are HD.)

But the third answer is the one you should out look for if you want to get the service: Comcast will offer the product as Comcast DVR, Powered by Moxi. Charter will market it as Charter DVR with Moxi. Adelphia will market it as Adelphia DVR with Moxi.

In our literature, we refer to it as Moxi Media Center, rather than DVR, because our vision for the product goes far beyond recording TV shows and embraces multiple media types and the notion of a central server that can share content throughout the home.
post #11 of 12084 Old 06-16-2004, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 78
How does the Comcast Moxi rollout integrate with the 62XX roll-out? In other words, we are expecting 6214 units here in the SF Bay Area in September or so. Jeez, I'd rather have one of these Moxi units. Is there any knowledge of Comcast's plan regarding the two devices? The 62XX units are apparently an inexpensive rental. Is that how the Moxi's will be handled?

Bill
post #12 of 12084 Old 06-16-2004, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The 6412 is in testing now- it has Firewire and I suspect this will be the DVR for those who need it.

It's looking like Comcast will offer more than one PVR model for rental.

post #13 of 12084 Old 06-16-2004, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Bill,

Comcast hasn't announced how they will handle multiple DVR platforms in the same market, or even whether they will offer multiple platforms in a given market.
post #14 of 12084 Old 06-17-2004, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by MoxiGuy
DaveFi,

Good guess as to my afiliation. I'm happy to clarify anything about our current product (or announced enhancements.) But, I won't comment on unannounced HW.

MoxiGuy,

Maybe for one of those unannounced HW products, Moxi can add an OTA tuner (or two) and sell the boxes to the public. It looks like Moxi understands what many consumers want, the expansion capabilites and media server are great, but restricting it to cable only it a real killer.

-phil

Life's a party, let's get out and strut.
post #15 of 12084 Old 06-17-2004, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
MoxiGuy,

This platform seems to have incredible capabilities and the most applications available from a single user interface. Can you provide some insight on the maximum capabilities based on the products that have already been announced? Specifically, I'm curious about the following:

1. What is the difference between the Moxi PowerKEY and the 9022 model?
2. The new Xstream chip is capable of handling up to 4 tv's, does that meand that 2 9022 models can be linked via coaxial on the same system (with 2 Moximate's) for the 4 tv's? If so, does that mean that all 4 tuner's and all the content on the hardrives would be available on all 4 tv's?
3. The Moxi Plus looks like a great item, does it have 1 or 2 harddrives? Also, since the PowerKEY has 2 2.0 USB ports, can you connect more than 1 Moxi Plus to a PowerKEY? Can you use a USB hub to connect multiple USB hardrives and/or Moxi Plus boxes?

Basically, I'd like to know the maximum configuration based on the hardware that has already been announced.
post #16 of 12084 Old 06-17-2004, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Maybe for one of those unannounced HW products, Moxi can add an OTA tuner (or two) and sell the boxes to the public. It looks like Moxi understands what many consumers want, the expansion capabilites and media server are great, but restricting it to cable only it a real killer.

Moxi is funded primarily by cable interests, so I wouldn't expect it to support other platforms. If you only watch the networks, you could buy a future CableCard Moxi and use it with basic cable ($12-$16/mo), which generally includes your area networks in HDTV.

Quote:

1. What is the difference between the Moxi PowerKEY and the 9022 model?

From what I understand, the PowerKEY model is simply the version of the BMC9012 for systems using Scientific Atlanta head-end equipment. Based on the post above, it sounds like Comcast will only offer the Moxi on Motorola systems (at least, with their initial order).

Quote:

2. The new Xstream chip is capable of handling up to 4 tv's, does that meand that 2 9022 models can be linked via coaxial on the same system (with 2 Moximate's) for the 4 tv's? If so, does that mean that all 4 tuner's and all the content on the hardrives would be available on all 4 tv's?

AFAIK, Moxi has not yet announced any models with the Xstream chipset. The Xstream will be used in a next-generation Moxi--these models will have up to four tuners in a single box, double the number supported by the current design.

The Xstream press release mentions some enhancements we might see in their next-generation product.
post #17 of 12084 Old 06-17-2004, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

bfdtv covered it quite accurately. Thanks.

Our goal is to minimize the costs of reaching multiple rooms. Where other architectures require you to put a full-cost DVR in each room -- or a DVR plus additional digital cable boxes or satellite receivers, we plan to serve the whole home with a single Media Center and use very low-cost thin clients (Moxi Mate) in the other rooms. So, we don't get to 4 tuners by networking two 2-tuner boxes. We get there (in some future product) by putting 4 tuners in the main box and using three Moxi Mate boxes in the other rooms. It's our custom silicon (X-Stream) that enables us to increase the functionality of the main Media Center, while reducing its cost.
post #18 of 12084 Old 06-17-2004, 01:06 PM

bfdvt & MoxiGuy - Thanks for the info on the media server and whole house solution. That looks very promising and I think that having all the tuner's in one box is the best way to go.

Can either of you comment on the anticipate maximum storage capacity for the media center's? If you can connect multiple Moxi Plus boxes or USB drives to the media center with the tuner's then the availability for dumping to DVHS via firewire is much less of a concern.
post #19 of 12084 Old 06-17-2004, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Don't have a theoretical max number for you. Drive capacity per $ is following very encouraging trends. And we're looking to USB 2.0 add-ons to let subscribers build-out their capacity. For now, I can't get more specific. (BTW: don't anticipate that the programs you record on plug-in drives will be transferrable to other devices. it's a DRM world.)
post #20 of 12084 Old 06-17-2004, 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MoxiGuy
Don't have a theoretical max number for you. Drive capacity per $ is following very encouraging trends. And we're looking to USB 2.0 add-ons to let subscribers build-out their capacity. For now, I can't get more specific. (BTW: don't anticipate that the programs you record on plug-in drives will be transferrable to other devices. it's a DRM world.)

That's encouraging to hear that the drive capacity may be very high, as mentioned above, that makes the ability to dump to DVHS or DVD a moot point. As for not being able to transfer USB hard drives to other devices, that is not really an issue (for me and any other honest user) if the Moxi Mates can access the harddrives attached to the main Media Center.

A system with 4 HD tuners and say a terabyte or more of storage capacity that can be accessed by 4 tv's would be pretty amazing.
post #21 of 12084 Old 06-17-2004, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What I'm interested in is how DTCP will work with external harddrives? Will the harddrive be considered the "Copy Once" device and be uncopyable/editable (new word)?

post #22 of 12084 Old 06-23-2004, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Adelphia in Ventura, CA is now deploying HD DVR with Moxi. (Expect other deployments shortly).
post #23 of 12084 Old 06-24-2004, 12:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Comcast in the S.F. Bay Area -- please!

(Note: I am wishing, not predicting.)

Mark

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #24 of 12084 Old 06-24-2004, 09:48 PM

I remember sitting in on SCTE meetings 5 years ago listening to speakers talk about the future of cable. Back then I was thinking it would take ten+ years to get where we are today! Thanks Direct Tv and Dish for waking up the sleeping giants!

Bye the way, welcome MoxieGuy! Keep us posted on any news that becomes available!
post #25 of 12084 Old 07-19-2004, 01:48 PM

I just got a Charter MOXI box in Medford, Oregon. HDTV channels: HDNet Movies,
HDNet, ESPNHD, and ShowtimeHD. DVR services.
I'll try to answer any questions.
post #26 of 12084 Old 07-19-2004, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

lvman,

Could you give us your impressions of the box? How is the usability compared to your previous cable box?
post #27 of 12084 Old 07-19-2004, 02:30 PM

My new Charter MOXI box is the BMC9012. I can record one show while watching another show or record two shows at once. So far box is working perfectly. Box can store up to 60 hours of TV shows in standard def or up to 20 hours in HD. Of course that's what the User's Guide shows but I haven't had enough time to test. I like the MOXI box better than my old box because it can display shows 14 days in advance. This my first DVR
so I cannot compare to any other box. However, I can record to my hard drive on my computer. The recording is so good on the MOXI I get confused with live TV and the recording.

HDTV display is great but SD is not as good as my old box. Maybe this is because I"m watching HDTV for the first time! I have a Panasonic RPTV. Maybe someone on the forum could help me get better SD reception. I have to get used to not clicking the remote too fast. Also, you must be quick at entering the channel numbers.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the MOXI. There's not much sense in buying a HDTV without getting HD channels. Also I hate video tapes.
post #28 of 12084 Old 07-20-2004, 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by lvman1080
However, I can record to my hard drive on my computer.

How do you do that? USG, Firewire, or ethernet? or?
post #29 of 12084 Old 07-20-2004, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Based on current TWC rollout of HD DVRs and STBs with Firewire, I'm guessing I might see a Moxi HD-DVR with Firewire sometime in 2006 where I live. I'd much rather see a direct marketed product, though I understand their business model.
post #30 of 12084 Old 07-20-2004, 04:51 PM

The SD on my MOXI is not nearly as good as my moto 6200. Hope this changes. The menu is very good and I love all the functions of this box.

I am considering going back to the moto 6200 for the PQ. But I hate to give up the recording and menu.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page