AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Originally posted by Jim Boden
DoubleDAZ:

You raise a very interesting question about time slots used for different programs on the same channel. With my previous 8000HD, I never got a recording for the "wrong" program. If the time slot had something different scheduled, it did not record. So far, I think the 8300HD is operating the same way, but I'll keep a watch on it.

Well, I wish it were, but it doesn't appear to be doing so, at least not here.

Yesterday, I purposely set up a recording for House that evening and I selected 'All episodes on this channel in this time slot'. I knew it wasn't on next Friday (moving to regular Tuesday time) and next Friday was not in the IPG until today. I just checked, and sure enough, there it is scheduled to record House next Friday from 700-800 pm.

And before you say the IPG must be messed up, it's not. Mr Deeds in on in that timeslot and the next one. BTW, it is highlighted to record.

So, it certainly appears to me to be a bug and one needs to constantly review their scheduled recordings to make sure you get what you expect. I'm going to leave it in there to see if it actually does record the first hour of Mr Deeds thinking it is House.

Cheers, Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1154 Old 11-20-2004, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
DoubleDAZ:

Very interesting. I'll try to duplicate it here. Software in Toronto is:

ROM 1.85.11.5
OS 6.8.9.4
SARA 1.85.11.5
POWERKEYLIB 3.7.3.1
HALDRIVER 1.0.31.1000
PHAL3DRIVER 3.5.11.1000
post #273 of 1154 Old 11-20-2004, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Jim, software here in Phoenix is latest that I know of:

A/O 11/11/2004
ROM/SARA - v1.85.14.1
OS - 6.8.9.4
PowerKEY LIB - 3.7.3.1
HAL Driver - 1.0.31.1030
PHAL3 Driver - 3.5.11.1000

Cheers, Dave
post #274 of 1154 Old 11-20-2004, 06:49 PM

Liked: 10
I would like to go back to a message from trekkerj about "glitches in my recordings." I have had my 8300HD set up here in Phoenix for about 1 week. I notice pixelization on many of my recordings. It seems to happen in patches -- much of the recording is ok but for about 2-3 minutes of recorded time the playback will show errors. It is very distracting. It looks like a harddrive problem similar to what happened to my 8000 box and was fixed when I got a new one. It happens with both SD and HD and occurs in approx. 50% of the recordings. How many other boxes show this??
post #275 of 1154 Old 11-20-2004, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

doccable. Can't help you much with the glitches as I haven't noticed many on my recordings. But, we do have some local forums in Phoenix and you are welcome to join us there.

http://pc-dtv.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=c...11&f=634607221

Cheers, Dave
post #276 of 1154 Old 11-20-2004, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I've looked and can find no reference to the Auto Shut-Off over-ride working. You are supposed to be ablt to 'hit any key' when you get the warning message at 1:10 am that the unit will shut off in 5 minutes. Does hitting any key work and stop the unit from shutting off or is this a known problem? For severalof us, the unit shuts off no matter how many keys we hit or how often. Thanks.

Cheers, Dave
post #277 of 1154 Old 11-20-2004, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Pradeep
If you connect via HDMI->HDMI cable, chances are that you will no longer have Dolby Digital audio output, only prologic. It's controlled by a setting in the 8300HD, not many of us have that setting available (as far as I know only the Canadians).

just reporting that dolby digital is available even from an hdmi-hdmi connection.. when you go hdmi-hdmi the sound setting defaults to hdmi but you can select it to DD which should enable the digital audio outputs.. I know I'm lacking optical cable this weekend since my dvd and hdtv both uses only optical cable for their digital outs, I was stuck until I got everything hooked up and working

right now my 8300HD
video: hdmi2hdmi -> panasonic pt50lcx63 (champion of a set), working *perfectly* and the hd-picture is awe-inspiring
audio: digital coaxial cable to my receiver

I'm loving it, *loving it* I already am recording everything though for now my main annoyance that I just encountered was mentioned before.. if you're recording 2 shows at the same time, you *MUST* watch one of those shows... there are workarounds and what have you but it doesn't interest me, I'm more concerned with my dvr's limitations/quirks/annoyances and that's the one annoyance I've encountered but.. it's no biggie

;P I don't really have to record 'Miracle' *tunes back to the HD fla-fsu game*

-+ I heard mono with my ears, stereo with my heart, but I heard surround with my soul - Unnamed
-+ My tastes are simple -- I am always satisfied with the best
-+ You ainÂt gotta like me, you just mad 'cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be!
post #278 of 1154 Old 11-20-2004, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by GooglyBear
if you're recording 2 shows at the same time, you *MUST* watch one of those shows...]

And if in had 3 tuners, we'd still be in the same boat because then we'd want to record 3 shows and watch a 4th, and so on....

Cheers, Dave
post #279 of 1154 Old 11-20-2004, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Snoopybird
I have had no luck.
I had my HD DVR install on 11/19. All works, save for the HDMI
connection.
I have a Toshiba HDTV Model 26HL83 LCD. Previously I had my 4200HD
Box hooked up via DVI ("Monster" brand) cable connection. The
connection was always a bit quirky. Whenever I first turned on the
TV I would get a message that appeared momentarily on the screen to
the effect that the TV did not support HDCP and to use the PrPbY
component connections, but then the picture would kick in and
everything was fine.

I purchased a DVI to HDMI adapter (also "Monster" brand). However,
when this is hooked up to the 8300HD, the message which used to
appear momentarily with the 4200HD box is now permanent. No video,
just the message. My Toshiba Owner's Manual claims that the TV's
DVI-in terminal is designed to accept HDCP from "EIA/CEA-861-
compliant consumer electronic devices...."

In the meantime, I have had to switch to component cables.

Any suggestions?

I have the 8300 in Rochester, NY, and am running it to an Infocus 4805 projector (HDCP compliant, supposedly) with the same Monster adapter to DVI cable to the projector.

If my projector is set to the DVR's input when I turn it on, it will work. BUT, if I switch inputs on the projector (say to watch a dvd) and come back to the DVR input, I get the HDCP warning message, and the box is locked out until I pull and replug the HDMI connector.

This HDCP thing is a real mess, and I need to use DVI for this as I am running component from my DVD player (which also seems to have HDCP issues in an even more serious way, and well documented)

Is there any hope for this to eventually get worked out?

Wes
post #280 of 1154 Old 11-21-2004, 10:14 AM

Liked: 12
Has anyone tried the Harmony 688 universal remote with the SA8300? Does it work well with the DVR?

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #281 of 1154 Old 11-21-2004, 10:32 AM

The 688 works fine with the 8300HD.

-Adam
post #282 of 1154 Old 11-21-2004, 10:57 AM

I am following this thread with great interest since my newly received 8300 has numerous hiccups (not showing options when select is pressed in DVR list, not selecting the right signal format for HD signal on 4:3 TV and so on) but the thread became too big. Should we split it up into several threads? Something like 8300 HDCP, 8300 Configuration, 8300 DVR Problems and Tricks.

Will
post #283 of 1154 Old 11-21-2004, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

I solved my problem of having 480p streched on my Sampo. I removed the 480p setting from the list of modes that work. I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner! Now the 480i SD channels are converted to 1080i. Thanks for the help!

Acutally there are two 480p settings. I think I left 480p Widescreen there and removed the 480p Standard. It seems kind of backwards, but it works.

Petteri Leone
"all the boys upstairs want to see
how much you'll pay for
what you used to get for free"
- tom petty, the last dj
post #284 of 1154 Old 11-21-2004, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by apetryk
The 688 works fine with the 8300HD.

-Adam

I'm considering purchasing this remote, but haven't checked the local BB to see if they stock it. TigerDirect has it listed for only $150, but I have no experience with them, so I'm wondering if anyone has dealt with them and is there anything I should watch out for?

At any rate, I have some questions. I assume you had to program the List, Replay, Live, and A/B/C buttons, since the remote does not have separate buttons for these DVR functions. Was that done online and then downloaded? Was it simple to do? Is it simple to use the LCD buttons?

I've seen reviews, though I'm not sure how old they were, that indicate there was no automatic option to control on/off for the 8000HD. Has this been fixed for the 8300HD or did you have to 'fix' this yourself after downloading the code-set for the 8300HD?

Do you have a receiver and is the remote able to control most functions. I have a Denon 3803 and the 8300HD remote won't even turn it on/off, all codes for Denon were removed from the remote (AT8400D) I received. That is the main reason for looking into an after-market remote, although I like the idea of the 'Activity' buttons.

One question about that. Let's say the TV is already on. If you then select Play DVD (which includes a command to turn the TV on), will it turn of f the TV? The reason I ask is my plan would be for me to let my wife use the 8300HD remote. She usually just watches TV using the TV speakers. When I get home from work, I prefer to turn on the Denon, etc. So, if I come home and select Watch TV and the TV is already on, will it stay on?

Cheers, Dave
post #285 of 1154 Old 11-21-2004, 01:13 PM

I programmed the List and A/B/C buttons. Mapped the replay to the skip back button.

The harmony website is very user friendly and I would highly recommend it.

LCD buttons are easy to use, they are just to the left/right of the LCD... no need to scroll or anything unless you are accessing past the first 'page' of buttons. The LCD buttons are context sensitive, so when I'm in "Watch PVR" mode it shows A/B/C/List.

I have a panasonic SA-XR45 and the remote does what I need it to do. I can't imagine a case where you wouldn't be able to control a function since you can put the remote in learning mode and then assign buttons.

The remote is state-aware so it will only turn on/off what it needs to. As such given your example if you are watching tv and swtich to watching DVD it will not turn off your tv.

I leave the PVR on all the time so don't have an answer for your on/off question.

Hope these answers help. I'd highly recommend getting the harmony. Some of the criticisms are fair (e.g. layout of keys could be better) however the pros far far outweigh the cons. My wife can switch from TV/DVD/Media PC/Radio/VCR without knowing a thing about what inputs to set the TV and receiver on. And if things aren't in the right state, a simple press of the "Help" button usually fixes it right away.

-Adam
post #286 of 1154 Old 11-21-2004, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

GooglyBear:

Quote:

if you're recording 2 shows at the same time, you *MUST* watch one of those shows...

I understand what you're saying, but you don't really HAVE to be watching anything while it's recording 2 shows. You can watch both of them later.

Also, you can watch something previously recorded while it's recording 2 programs, which is kind of neat.
post #287 of 1154 Old 11-21-2004, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm using the 8300HD with an old Marantz RS-2000 remote and it works perfectly. It has exactly the same codes as prior models, such as the 8000HD.
post #288 of 1154 Old 11-21-2004, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Is anyone usine 8300 with Panasonic ED plasma. If so, could you pls list how you set up so stretch modes would work. Thanks.
post #289 of 1154 Old 11-21-2004, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

apetryk. I understand your state-aware comment, but I thought that only applied to what the remote actually did. In other words, if you manually turn on the TV and then select Watch TV on the remote, what happens, does it toggle the TV off? I suppose I could set one Activity to Watch TV with just the TV/8300 on and another to Watch Cable with the Denon/8300/TV on. That would let my wife not have to worry about the Denon at all. Does that sound pratical?

One other question that you may not be able to help with. My devices seem to put out different levels of audio. If the 8300 has a different volume level than the DVD player, etc., and I select Watch DVD, can the volume be adjusted as part of the Activity so I don't accidently get blasted out of the room?

I did run up to BB, but they do not sell the 688 and they were out of the 659 model they did sell. I've heard that some folks prefer the 680 though because of the slightly large buttons and more familar layout. Do you have any experience with that model? I assume there are more buttons that need to be configured for the DVR though.

Cheers, Dave
post #290 of 1154 Old 11-21-2004, 04:25 PM

I don't do anything without the harmony. If you were to turn the tv on with another remote or manually then the harmony would turn it off (unless you've got discrete on/off for your tv in which case it would just re-send the "on" command).

You can stick in some manual things to do upon entering/leaving an activity. So you could have it turn the volume up/down when changing activities.

Haven't tried the 680.

I guess my question would by why bother watching tv without the denon? The harmony makes everything so easy to use there probably isn't a practical reason not to?

-Adam
post #291 of 1154 Old 11-21-2004, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by apetryk
I guess my question would by why bother watching tv without the denon? The harmony makes everything so easy to use there probably isn't a practical reason not to?

I don't and I think with something like the Harmony, I could disable the TV speakers altogether, as long as my wife didn't have to mess with anything other than change channels and volume. It's not that she's electronically challenged, it's more that it really doesn't matter to her. She doesn't give a hoot about 5.1, etc., though she does enjoy the HD PQ. She still watches a lot of HGTV/TLC/DSC during the day and they are all so not Home Theater-ish.

BTW. Thanks for all the info

Edit: I just checked the Harmony site and went through the tutorial they have. It mentioned that when you first use the remote, you may already have the TV, etc., on and the remote doesn't know that. It said to simply press Help to resync. That looks like exactly what I would need to do when I get home from work and my wife already has the TV on. Cool!

Cheers, Dave
post #292 of 1154 Old 11-21-2004, 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by marchristensen
Is anyone usine 8300 with Panasonic ED plasma. If so, could you pls list how you set up so stretch modes would work. Thanks.

I have 42" HD model of Panasonic and as far as I know all Panasonic plasma panels do not allow stretch for HD signal (1080i and 720p). There are some threads in plasma forum discussing it. Some people choose NEC panels in order to have this functionality.

Will
post #293 of 1154 Old 11-21-2004, 10:18 PM

DoubleDAZ answered most of your questions, and I'll opine on this one:

Quote:

Last question is really asking for an opinion - is having the ability to hd record worth the problems documented here - freezing and lost shows. ReplayTV is quite reliable but, of course, not hd.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

I have two of the original Sony TIVOs with lifeftime service that I've expanded to 200+ hours each and have been flawless. That said, since we got the 8000HD last February (and now the 8300HD in August) the TIVOs pretty much belong to the kids and the only thing I record and watch on them is news programming, where HD doesn't make much difference and college football when I can't watch it live. It's just *too* hard to watch SD versions of prime time TV when I know the HD version is available.

The 8300HD definitely has its flaws, but I couldn't live without mine. I just wish it were bigger -- I wind up loading it up with HBO-HD, Showtime-HD, INHD and HDNet movies and concerts but make sure they're set to auto-erase as spaces is needed. When the SATA ports are enabled, that wish may come true.

I do confess to using the TIVOs to also record some of the same shows the 8300HD does. That saved me two weeks ago when E.R. had terrible breakup (not the 8300HD's fault because I think it was the transmission) -- 2/3rds of the way through we fell back to TIVO and suffered along with a zoomed letterboxed 480i image.

post #294 of 1154 Old 11-22-2004, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Will - How do you stretch SD shows. I thought if you were connected to the cablebox via component that you could not stretch on the Pannasonic at all.
post #295 of 1154 Old 11-22-2004, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Will - How do you stretch SD shows. I thought if you were connected to the cablebox via component that you could not stretch on the Pannasonic at all.

I cannot stretch SD shows on HD channels. It is not possible with my Panasonic. The SD channels are a different story. Typically I watch SD from Tivo (not 8300) connected through a composite input on Panasonic. Obviously I use Just stretching in Panny.

I tried to use to stretch component signal from 8300 and if I enable 1080i, 480p Standard, 480p Widescreen it worked every time but one. It did not work only once and after going to advanced HD configuration on 8300 and selecting the same supported resolutions worked again. Something is flaky there.

My configuration is somewhat unusual. I have 2 TVs on opposite sides of the same wall. One is in the family room and one is in the kitchen. The TV in the kitchen is 16:9 HD Plasma and one in the family room is 4:3 projection TV. I use 2 sources of video signal, Tivo connected through composite to boths TVs and 8300 connected through composite to projection and component to plasma. I sometimes switch component cables to a RPTV and reconfigure 8300 to create signal for 4:3 TV.

Will

P.S. To the best of my knowledge Panasonic does now allow stretch of 1080i and 720p signal on component input. If 8300 creates 480i or 480p signal for SD channels (not SD programs on HD channels) stretch modes would work.
post #296 of 1154 Old 11-22-2004, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the complete answer Will. I am still confused about the stretching. Do you use two connections from the SA8300 to the TV - component for HD and composite for SD? I still don't understand how I can stretch SD if the only connection to the TV is component.
post #297 of 1154 Old 11-22-2004, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
The type of connection is irrelevant, its the format of the signal - SD vs HD that affects whether stretch modes work or not. If you setup the SA8300HD for a passthru mode where SD channels will output using an SD format (480i or 480p) and HD channels output in an HD format (720p or 1080i) - then the stretch modes will work with the SD channels using a single component video connection.
post #298 of 1154 Old 11-22-2004, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Something that has not been mentioned in response to Will is that the # button on the remote controls (limited) stretch modes on the 8000HD. This might be what he is looking for.

Dave Hancock
post #299 of 1154 Old 11-22-2004, 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by davehancock
Something that has not been mentioned in response to Will is that the # button on the remote controls (limited) stretch modes on the 8000HD. This might be what he is looking for.

Unfortunately implementation of stretch in 8300 is almost unusable. Most plasma TVs have a much better implementation where stretch ratio is not linear. Some of the TVs do not allow stretching for HD signal (720p and 1080i) and Panasonic is one of them.

Will
post #300 of 1154 Old 11-22-2004, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by doccable
I would like to go back to a message from trekkerj about "glitches in my recordings." I have had my 8300HD set up here in Phoenix for about 1 week. I notice pixelization on many of my recordings. It seems to happen in patches -- much of the recording is ok but for about 2-3 minutes of recorded time the playback will show errors. It is very distracting. It looks like a harddrive problem similar to what happened to my 8000 box and was fixed when I got a new one. It happens with both SD and HD and occurs in approx. 50% of the recordings. How many other boxes show this??

My box is doing the exact same thing. This started after I recorded a few shows. Have you done a hard reboot? I haven't yet. I wonder if I should call TW about this.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page