AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Originally posted by mlynn
I guess ignorance is bliss !

Do you always call people you don't know, ignorant? I wonder what that makes you!

I wish now I had not wasted my time answering your question and trying to offer information. You can take your thanks and put them where the sun don't shine.

For your further edification, I know all about Tivo and what it can do. But, my 8300HD does what I need it to do and it didn't cost me $900 plus monthly fees, a committment to DirecTV, etc. Now who's ignorant?!!

Cheers, Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1154 Old 12-03-2004, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by doccable
I would like to go back to a message from trekkerj about "glitches in my recordings." I have had my 8300HD set up here in Phoenix for about 1 week. I notice pixelization on many of my recordings. It seems to happen in patches -- much of the recording is ok but for about 2-3 minutes of recorded time the playback will show errors. It is very distracting. It looks like a harddrive problem similar to what happened to my 8000 box and was fixed when I got a new one. It happens with both SD and HD and occurs in approx. 50% of the recordings. How many other boxes show this??

I've been having the same problem. I got my 8300HD last week from Adelphia in Blacksburg, VA. My initial observation is that it seems to be worse when it's recording two programs at the same time. But that may just be a coincidence. It does happen on both SD & HD recordings. I'll probably have to take the box in and get a replacement.

Anyone else have some info on the recording glitches?
post #363 of 1154 Old 12-03-2004, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Reverenddave
I've been having the same problem. I got my 8300HD last week from Adelphia in Blacksburg, VA. My initial observation is that it seems to be worse when it's recording two programs at the same time. But that may just be a coincidence. It does happen on both SD & HD recordings. I'll probably have to take the box in and get a replacement.

Me too, but I'm not certain if the pixelization was in the original program or in the recording since I've not tested by watching while recording.

Has anyone tested that?

OT: (Love Blacksburg - VT '91 - Go Hokies!)

David

Marketing Professor
Music, then Movies...
post #364 of 1154 Old 12-03-2004, 07:24 AM

My comment was not to infer that anyone here was ignorant. I just meant that "I" really liked how my tivo worked and that I expected different things from the SA box knowing what technology has been around for a couple of years. I apologize if anyone misunderstood, I highly value the opinions of all who bother to respond or post here and have used the forum frequently in helping myself make decisions on certain products. I guess you have to be really carefull in what you say and how you say it when there is not face to face communication.
post #365 of 1154 Old 12-03-2004, 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Reverenddave

There are tens and tens of similar reports in Yahoo Cablevision_digital forum. Cablevision started rolling out 8300 last month.

Most of the people agreed that the problems starts when disk usage exceeds 40%.

Keep in mind that when you record one program and watch a different one live you get two concurrent recordings; one for current and one for scheduled program.

Several people got replacement boxes without any effect.

Will
post #366 of 1154 Old 12-03-2004, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mlynn
My comment was not to infer that anyone here was ignorant. I just meant that "I" really liked how my tivo worked and that I expected different things from the SA box knowing what technology has been around for a couple of years. I apologize if anyone misunderstood, I highly value the opinions of all who bother to respond or post here and have used the forum frequently in helping myself make decisions on certain products. I guess you have to be really carefull in what you say and how you say it when there is not face to face communication.

Understood! I get it now. More like, "I wish I didn't know everything TiVo does and how well it does it," thus being more blissful in ignorance.

It happens to all of us at one time or another. No problem.

David

Marketing Professor
Music, then Movies...
post #367 of 1154 Old 12-03-2004, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Being the proud owner of both the HDTivo, and the SA 8300HD, I can say that the Tivo blows the 8300HD away in terms of usability. The SA people must have had access to a Tivo, and purposely chosen not to make it user friendly, or they just were really, really stupid

With all that being said, the picture quality on the 8300HD is superior, probably because the cable feed is less compressed than the sat feed. In addition, I can get channels in HD on cable that I can't get on D*, and the fact that I didn't have to buy it, didn't hurt either.

What I am finding, is that some shows I watch on the 8300 and some on the Tivo. It really is painful to go back and forth between the two though. Probably my biggest complaint is the way that they make you rewind from the middle of the show while it is playing, to start from the beginning, and if you aren't caught up by the time it ends, the SA8300HD says...F'U , and dumps you out of the show

Phil
post #368 of 1154 Old 12-03-2004, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by will792
There are tens and tens of similar reports in Yahoo Cablevision_digital forum. Most of the people agreed that the problems starts when disk usage exceeds 40%. Several people got replacement boxes without any effect.

I started noticing the problem when my DVR got around 40%. I'll try to delete a bunch of stuff and keep it below 40%. Maybe that will help.

When you said that people got replacement boxes "without any effect", did that mean the replacement boxes didn't have the pixelation problems, or that getting a replacement box didn't help?

Thanks for the input.
post #369 of 1154 Old 12-03-2004, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Getting a replacement didn't help. I was one of the first Cablevision customers to get the box, and got a replacement a few days later (I filled up the box pretty fast). The replacement worked fine up until 35-40% full, then started having the same problem again. I still keep my box full, and occasionally I get recordings that are clean, perhaps those are being saved on a part of the hard disk that fills up first. That being said, I don't know if deleting recordings until you are under 40% will help, since there is no guarantee where on the hard disk the next recording is saved (if HD location is the issue here, who knows).,
post #370 of 1154 Old 12-03-2004, 08:51 AM

An interesting thing happened last night. I set my 8300HD to record all the prime-time CBS shows. I arrived home at about 45 min after the first hour and rewound to the beginning of Survivor. I fully expected the "dump" at the top of the hour and I just sat back to take it. But ... it didn't do it. The clock turned over and I just kept on watching. When I reached the end of Survivor I fast forwarded expecting the "end of recording" menu to appear. Normally I would erase Survivor, go to list and select CSI, then rewind to the start, etc. But ... it just flowed right into CSI without a hiccup.
The same thing occurred at the top of the next hour flowing into Without a Trace. Have we received a software upgrade????
post #371 of 1154 Old 12-03-2004, 08:59 AM

I did get a new box b/o the pixelization problem. The new box is better but the problem is still present on some recordings. I am currently at 60% full and I guess that I see the problem on 1/3 of the recordings. Not as frequent or as severe as the last box.
post #372 of 1154 Old 12-03-2004, 09:04 AM

I too had a weird problem last night. I had 5 - 6 programs set up to record all new episodes in my Scheduled Recordings list that have been there for months.

Last night I got home a little before 11PM and sat down to watch the two programs that were to record earlier that night. Both were missing. I went to my 'Scheduled Recording' and everything was missing except one single program.

I tried to re-add the programs that were missing back into the 'Scheduled Recordings' but I couldn't get any program to add to the list. Nothing would even manually record.

I tried turning off the unit and then back on but to no avail.

I finally had to unplug the unit from the wall, wait about a minute, then plug it back in. It took about 5 minutes before the 8300's clock reappeared.

After that everything was working fine.

Software update or really bad glitch?
post #373 of 1154 Old 12-03-2004, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Something happened last night because I was listening to digital music channels at around 1:30 - 2:30 am and everything was fine (the plasma was off - just trying to fall asleep). I fall asleep about 3:00 am and wake up at 4:30 am and the cable box is off and back to channel 2 with the volume way up. Something was downloaded, but I don't know what.

Marketing Professor
Music, then Movies...
post #374 of 1154 Old 12-03-2004, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 38
MarketinProf:

I thought you were on the TW Syracuse system (your location "Upstate NY" is a little too general). In the past, TW Syracuse has been independent of Rochester in regards to DVR roll-out (Syracuse was way earlier with the 8000HD) and software.

I (still) have the 8000HD (too much recorded on the HD that I want to watch before turning the 8000HD in for a 8300HD). We had an upgrade for the 8000HD (SARA 81.83.16.a10) earlier this week which enabled DVI and other things. However, I've been having problems with anything recorded since then (see the TW SARA 8000 thread).

Janusinc,

What version of SARA did they download? Do you know if any "features" were added?

Dave Hancock
post #375 of 1154 Old 12-03-2004, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by davehancock
MarketinProf:

I thought you were on the TW Syracuse system (your location "Upstate NY" is a little too general). In the past, TW Syracuse has been independent of Rochester in regards to DVR roll-out (Syracuse was way earlier with the 8000HD) and software.

I (still) have the 8000HD (too much recorded on the HD that I want to watch before turning the 8000HD in for a 8300HD). We had an upgrade for the 8000HD (SARA 81.83.16.a10) earlier this week which enabled DVI and other things. However, I've been having problems with anything recorded since then (see the TW SARA 8000 thread).

True enough Dave. I am on Syracuse. I just checked and you are correct. The last upgrade I got was 10/20/04 to 1.85.17.3.

Marketing Professor
Music, then Movies...
post #376 of 1154 Old 12-03-2004, 10:12 AM

Davehancock,

I do not know how to get to my SARA#.

Does it show the # on reboot?

Is there a better way to reboot other than unplugging the unit?
post #377 of 1154 Old 12-03-2004, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Just an FYI:
The recordings for many shows last night were scheduled to record up until the time for them to start, and then didn't record on most DVR's This applied to selections that were set to "record only new episodes". CSI and Without a Trace were definately repeats (I've seen both of them before), but I think Survivor, may have had the flag set for repeat as well from the IPG provider.

vegggas
post #378 of 1154 Old 12-03-2004, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

My 8300HD didn't record Rebel Billionaire on Tuesday night. I am almost positive it was not a re-run, and there is no reason it should not have recorded. Nothing else was recording on either tuner. It just decided that it didn't feel like it

Phil
post #379 of 1154 Old 12-03-2004, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Janusinc,

I still have the 8000HD, but assume that the procedure to get SARA version (and a lot more) is the same for both units.

From the front panel (not the remote) and with the box (8300HD) turned on and showing on your TV/monitor:

1) Press the "+" button in the middle of the cursor keys till the Mail light comes on.

2) Press the "Info" button - the screen should show the first of many pages of information.

3) Navigate through these pages with the left/right (Vol-/Vol+) cursor keys.

4) On the 8000HD the 3rd page will show software information. You should see something like: SARA 1.85.14.1. This is what we are talking about.

5) Exit with the "Exit" button.

Regarding reboot: I have seen info earlier in this thread on doing that without unplugging. I've never tried it (don't trust it and it is easy for me to unplug in back of the unit).

Dave Hancock
post #380 of 1154 Old 12-03-2004, 12:24 PM

It doesn't look like last night's 'glitch' was a software update.

My current SARA is 1.85.17.3 from 10/20/04.

Wonder what happened? Very Strange.
post #381 of 1154 Old 12-03-2004, 12:31 PM

Has anyone tried hooking up the 8300HD through the DVI to a non-HDCP compliant projector/TV that has DVI inputs?

I have a ~2 year old Hitachi 5500 SXGA+ projector with DVI input that I would need to buy a 40' DVI cable for just to try it, so I thought I would ask.
post #382 of 1154 Old 12-03-2004, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Janusinc,

I do think it was an update. The last version that I had seen (I keep track from this and another forum) is 1.85.14.1. The date shown is not the date it was downloaded, but rather the date of the software.

Dave Hancock
post #383 of 1154 Old 12-03-2004, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Janusinc,

Sorry for the 2nd message but I would be willing to bet that it won't work. There have been a lot of reported problems with the 8300HD and HDCP compliant sets. I think that the odds of it working with a non compliant set is not very good. Also the cable length could be an issue.

Dave Hancock
post #384 of 1154 Old 12-03-2004, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Free
My 8300HD didn't record Rebel Billionaire on Tuesday night. I am almost positive it was not a re-run, and there is no reason it should not have recorded. Nothing else was recording on either tuner. It just decided that it didn't feel like it

Same thing happend on my 8000 in Las Vegas. It was a new episode, but I think the IPG data did not set the flag as a new show, so it didn't record. Phoenix and Las Vegas do use the exact same IPG data source, and it is easy to believe that those flags may have been missing, or wrong. A manually set recording was ok, and a record all episodes was also ok, but my "First Run" series has been hit or miss lately.

vegggas
post #385 of 1154 Old 12-04-2004, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

I'm confused. Rerun or not it still should have recorded since we don't have a First Run option here yet, right? By any chance was there a change to the program title?

Cheers, Dave
post #386 of 1154 Old 12-04-2004, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Same thing happened here in Albany, NY. IMO, it would seem the program guide is the common denominator between us all. We also don't have the First Run option.
post #387 of 1154 Old 12-04-2004, 06:44 AM

Quote:

Janusinc,

I do think it was an update. The last version that I had seen (I keep track from this and another forum) is 1.85.14.1. The date shown is not the date it was downloaded, but rather the date of the software.

I had Cablevision/CT install an 8300HD box last week. My versions:

ROM Image 1.86.11.1
OS 6.10.9.1
SARA 1.86.11.1

I have noticed pixelation in playback from the DVR.
post #388 of 1154 Old 12-04-2004, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by DoubleDAZ
I'm confused. Rerun or not it still should have recorded since we don't have a First Run option here yet, right? By any chance was there a change to the program title?

Dave, I don't know what happened. Unfortunately, I only know what is in the program guide on my 8300 and my Tivo. Once I discovered that it didn't record, I tried to go back in the program guide on both, to see if I could figure out what happened, and I couldn't. I will pay particularly close attention to this one next week.

Phil
post #389 of 1154 Old 12-04-2004, 11:41 AM

Quote:

Probably my biggest complaint is the way that they make you rewind from the middle of the show while it is playing, to start from the beginning, and if you aren't caught up by the time it ends, the SA8300HD says...F'U , and dumps you out of the show

I'm currently beta-testing the 8300HD multi-room DVR. It exhibits the same behavior as you describe above when you want to watch a show (time-shift) while it is being recorded.

What I've found interesting is that from the client box in another room (a 3250, non-HD) I can access a recording in progress, have the option to play it from the beginning (no rewinding necessary), and when the recording stops and I'm not caught up to the end, it doesn't kick me out of the show. I can continue watching it through the end.

I hope this functionality is added to the 8300HD, especially since it's possible from a client box. My 8300HD multi-room is running SARA software version 1.85.17.3
post #390 of 1154 Old 12-04-2004, 03:03 PM
HGA

Quote:

Janusinc,

I am in NJ - Cablevision - I now have version 1.86.11.1. Is this new or just different in NJ??
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page