SA 8300 HD with DVI & DVR - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1154 Old 12-13-2004, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just checked and my SARA version is 1.87.4.3

Don't have a clue what that means but all I know is there is definately no option under general settings called "Audio: Digital Out"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1154 Old 12-13-2004, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by coomarlin
I've come across a pretty serious issue with my 8300. I just hooked it to my HT30744 via HDMI. The picture is nice and vibrant. But unfortunately I am not getting a Dolby Digital signal. A quick look through the manual states:

First off my TV supports Dolby Digital. Secondly I'm running the optical output of the 8300 to my Onkyo Recevier.

I do not have the "Audio: Digital Out"settings available in my menu. The only Audio option I have is for Volume control Fixed/adjustable.

Anyone else using their 8300 with HDMI? You having the same issue?

If your TV does support Dolby Digital over the HDMI connection, go into the TV settings and make sure it's enabled. The STB will automatically output whatever the TV is set to recieve, and currently, it thinks it's not DD. Once you enable DD on your TV set, it should pass along the correct signal, when available. You may also have to run a line from the TV's Digital Output to your receiver's digital input to complete the chain if it won't output both from the box at the same time.

vegggas

Helpful Links
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #453 of 1154 Old 12-13-2004, 04:53 PM

I just looked at the manual for my TV and it stated that Dolby digital was supported for DTV while Stereo was supported for Analog. My TV has a built in ATSC tuner and I'm thinking it only supports DD when I'm using the ATSC input. The optical ouput on the back of my TV only works when using the built-in digital tuner. So it looks like vegggas's suggestion is not possible.

This still doesn't explain why the "Audio: Digital Out" is not available in my 8300. That would apparently fix the problem.
post #454 of 1154 Old 12-13-2004, 04:59 PM

Quote:

Don't have a clue what that means but all I know is there is definately no option under general settings called "Audio: Digital Out"

I don't have the "Audio: Digital Out" setting either, just "Audio: Fixed/Variable." I have HDMI output connected to the DVI input on my TV, with digital audio out from the 8300 to a Marantz receiver. I get 2-channel stereo on SD broadcasts, but DD 5.1 on HD channels.

SARA is version 185.17.3.
post #455 of 1154 Old 12-13-2004, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 89
It may be because digital out is assumed when HDMI is connected. Digital audio is contained within HDMI.

Gary J

post #456 of 1154 Old 12-13-2004, 05:14 PM

When using component cables and optical to my Onkyo I get DD 5.1 on most HD channels. I get DD 2.0 surround on digital SD channels, and I get 2 channel stereo on Analog channels.

But with the HDMI connected I get 2 channel stereo on all channels.....even the HD channels.

I spent 45 minutes on the phone with a guy from Scientific Atlanta and he concluded that he wasn't sure why "Audio: Digital Out" wasn't available. His guess was that Adelphia has somehow disabled it. I've got Adelphia stopping by Thursday evening to check it out.
post #457 of 1154 Old 12-14-2004, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
TerryB:

No, we don't have the first run option here yet. Just all episodes or in this time slot.
post #458 of 1154 Old 12-14-2004, 12:11 PM

Any word on when the 8300 will be available from TWC in the NYC area?
post #459 of 1154 Old 12-14-2004, 07:25 PM

Has anyone seen an issue with the 8300HD that it all of a sudden is cropping HD channels? I've not changed any settings but when I watch SD or HD broadcasts it isn't fitting the screen to my TV. The logos on networks in the lower right corner are barely visible. I'm using HDMI to DVI and the box is set to auto for the output. Any pre recorded shows also play back cropped. I've pulled the plug on the box three times. TWC has done a reset from their end and nothing fixes this. I know on the HD channels I'm getting HD as my Sony plasma says full and wont let me adjust the mode. Anyone have any ideas of how I can reset this box or get it back to functioning correctly?
post #460 of 1154 Old 12-14-2004, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

cdp1276,
I have seen the box require a resetting of the video choices in the setup wizard to get the display to do everything in the expected way. It just one morning needed to be fixed?

TerryB
post #461 of 1154 Old 12-14-2004, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Try pressing the # key to make sure the stretch mode hasn't accidently been set.

Cheers, Dave
post #462 of 1154 Old 12-14-2004, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
My 8300 HD failed to record Rebel Billionaire again tonight. I caught it about 10 minutes in and forced it to record. The guide said Billionaire, and my scheduled recording said Rebel Billionaire was set to record 12-14. When I forced it to record manually, it said Rebel Billionaire, and recorded it.

Last week the exact same information was present. The guide said Billionaire, and the scheduled recording said Rebel Billionaire, except last week it recorded just fine. The week before, just like this week, it decided not to record. Both times there was nothing else recording or scheduled to record at the same time.

Bottom line,..just because you have scheduled to record a show on this POS, don't count on it. You better check every show to make sure it is recording

Phil
post #463 of 1154 Old 12-14-2004, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by cdp1276
Anyone have any ideas of how I can reset this box or get it back to functioning correctly?

Is it possible you accidentally hit the # symbol on the remote? This puts the box into stretch mode. Repeatedly pressing the # button cycles the display through the various modes...stretch, zoom1, zoom2, normal.

AlbanyHDTV.com webmaster
post #464 of 1154 Old 12-14-2004, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Free
My 8300 HD failed to record Rebel Billionaire again tonight. I caught it about 10 minutes in and forced it to record. The guide said Billionaire, and my scheduled recording said Rebel Billionaire was set to record 12-14. When I forced it to record manually, it said Rebel Billionaire, and recorded it.

Last week the exact same information was present. The guide said Billionaire, and the scheduled recording said Rebel Billionaire, except last week it recorded just fine. The week before, just like this week, it decided not to record. Both times there was nothing else recording or scheduled to record at the same time.

Bottom line,..just because you have scheduled to record a show on this POS, don't count on it. You better check every show to make sure it is recording

This happend in a lot of places around the country, and it appears to be a problem with the IPG data not being correct. I know of exactly the same thing happening here in Vegas to me on my 8000, and in San Diego to a friend of mine. I've heard it happen in various other places around the contry too on various 8000 and 8300 DVR's for the exact same programming selection.

vegggas

Helpful Links
-
post #465 of 1154 Old 12-15-2004, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I had the same experience with Billionaire over Comcast in No. Virginia on my 8000HD.

Bill

post #466 of 1154 Old 12-15-2004, 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by AlbanyHDTV
Is it possible you accidentally hit the # symbol on the remote? This puts the box into stretch mode. Repeatedly pressing the # button cycles the display through the various modes...stretch, zoom1, zoom2, normal.

Thanks all this fixed my problem. I have no idea how it got into that mode or that you could do that. Now if it would just stop missing shows setup to record I would be a tad happier.
post #467 of 1154 Old 12-15-2004, 06:11 AM

Quote:

Thanks all this fixed my problem. I have no idea how it got into that mode or that you could do that. Now if it would just stop missing shows setup to record I would be a tad happier.

Dang, You mean your cable company came over to troubleshoot your problem and they didn't even think of that? I can see the average joe not knowing about that, but your cable company? Aikes!
post #468 of 1154 Old 12-15-2004, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by vegggas
This happend in a lot of places around the country, and it appears to be a problem with the IPG data not being correct. I know of exactly the same thing happening here in Vegas to me on my 8000, and in San Diego to a friend of mine. I've heard it happen in various other places around the contry too on various 8000 and 8300 DVR's for the exact same programming selection.

vegggas

I was going to respond and say basically the same thing, but I figured nothing would satisfy someone who thinks the 8300HD is a "POS" (no offense intended to Free). The bottomline is that it really doesn't matter to the user what the specific problem and solution are because the end result is they missed a recording. While I happen to believe the 8300HD is a very good product, the IPG does leave a lot to be desired and is subject to human error (though I suppose this NEVER happened with the "other" DVR ).

Anyway, from what I remember, errors in the database caused the same problem 2 weeks ago and I'm fairly confident this will not be the last time this happens. While I, too, would get a little upset if I missed a recording, this has yet to happen to me. Unfortunately, even if a recording isn't going to happen, the time slot is highlighted in the IPG, so there is really no way of knowing if something will, in fact, get recorded. IMO, the program/time slot should only be highlighted if a recording is going to take place.

Rebel Billionaire seems to cause more problems than any other program (has this happened with others?). It appears that from week to week the "specific" data in the IPG changes enough to cause the 8300HD scheduler to skip an episode. It's not the fault of the 8300HD, but whomever enters program data needs to be consistent so the scheduler can do it's job correctly. GIGO!

Cheers, Dave
post #469 of 1154 Old 12-15-2004, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And just what shows, beside Rebel Billionaire, has it failed to record?

Cheers, Dave
post #470 of 1154 Old 12-15-2004, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:

Originally posted by vegggas

vegggas

I noticed the IPG data on varies HD channels are wrong quite often (Cox Fairfax, VA). Even on channels like InHD which is basically a HD demo loop.
post #471 of 1154 Old 12-15-2004, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Has anybody experience this? You go to the guide, select a show, select record, press 'A' to save and the show doesn't turn to red (indicating it will record) in the guide? After a reboot, it worked fine again...any thoughts?
post #472 of 1154 Old 12-15-2004, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Foxbat121
I noticed the IPG data on various HD channels are wrong quite often (Cox Fairfax, VA). Even on channels like InHD which is basically an HD demo loop.

Vegggas will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they (Cox markets anyway) all get their IPG data from the same place, that is Gemstar/TV Guide, so if it's wrong, it should be wrong all over. I also believe this is the same data that is used for the cable guide (Channel 62 here in Phoenix), so it, the IPG, and probably the TV Guide magazine should all match. Of course, this doesn't compensate for preemptions or last minute changes, though I don't know if that accounts for the errors you are referring to.

I have noticed from time to time, though not very often, that a west feed channel will show an east feed schedule until things get corrected. I haven't noticed enough errors like this to really check into it and have not missed a recording yet because of ANY errors. The main point in my posts is that it's not something inherently wrong with the 8300HD (or 8000HD for that matter), but the data it relies on.

One other thing is that just because the IPG and the scheduled recording list both show "Rebel Billionaire", it does not mean that the actual data field used for recording it is the same, dotted i's, crossed t's, etc. There may be any number of fields in the database that seemingly show the same information. Unfortunately, if the one actually used for recording is different than the one used for display, there will be no way for us to know and the recording will not take place as scheduled.

The only folks who can determine exactly what is happening are the ones who code the software and can review the database to see what caused the problem. I'm not sure why the software is coded to highlight the timeslot even when the recording is not going to happen. If I were to look at the IPG and saw the slot highlighted, I would assume it will be recorded, but that is not the case and this makes it impossible to double-check the schedule.

Cheers, Dave
post #473 of 1154 Old 12-15-2004, 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jpeter1093
Has anybody experience this? You go to the guide, select a show, select record, press 'A' to save and the show doesn't turn to red (indicating it will record) in the guide? After a reboot, it worked fine again...any thoughts?

Yes, I've seen this a number of times. In fact I often see shows in my scheduled list from the past week. I've found that when this weird glitch happens and after the reboot I have to go back in and re-select the shows I want to record again. I don't know how it always loses this detail.
post #474 of 1154 Old 12-15-2004, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I have not seen any visible changes in the IPG data. Is this something that happens in the code in the background? I don't see how an individual consumer can determine that the IPG data is going to cause the unit not to record, if all visible indicators are that it will.

Having owned multiple Replay TV's as well as multiple Tivo's, over many years, I have never seen anything like this. I was an early adopter with Replay TV, and got one of their first units, I think it must have been 5 or 6 years ago. Over all this time, I have never seen anything on Replay or Tivo, that indicated THE DAY OF the recording, that it was scheduled and going to record, and then didn't. In this case with the 8300, the name didn't change in the IPG, and even when I had to force it to record, it said the exact same thing that the scheduled recording said.

This is kindergarten stuff, which is why I am so mad at SA. I suppose that someone who has never had a Tivo or a Replay wouldn't know how much better they are. It boggles my mind that SA comes now, when they have had so many years to study their competitors, and do such a poor job????

Phil
post #475 of 1154 Old 12-15-2004, 01:51 PM

I've gotta agree about SA's software. When it comes to a comparison versus Tivo or replay TV there is no comparison. The style and format are incredibly clunky and generic. There is no reason why many of the simple bugs and drawbacks of the SA DVR's aren't fixed with software updates. I'm not sure who the heck is doing the programming but I would be somewhat emarrassed. Obviously the technology and hardware are in place to make a good product, but the software that runs the hardware is lacking big time.

With that said, as a cable customer with an HDTV I have no other option when it comes to getting a DVR. I am appreciative to the fact that the DVR allows me to record my shows. But if you compare it to a Tivo it almost seems like a child did the programming. There are simple little things that could easily be integrated into the 8300. How about the ability to add bookmarks to recorded shows? How about stop kicking me out of show that I start watching late? How about adding a dial or a faster FF/REW option to get me to a certain part of a program faster? How about letting me record first runs only? There are several other "little things" that could really make this DVR much better. They don't seem to l;isten too well to suggestions.
post #476 of 1154 Old 12-15-2004, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

coomarlin,
First runs only works in Houston TWC SARA.
Stilled getting kicked out when recording ends.

TerryB
post #477 of 1154 Old 12-15-2004, 02:14 PM

Quote:

How about stop kicking me out of show that I start watching late?

I do agree with you on all your points, especially the one above. However, I don't think the software "bug" that kicks you out of a show is a bug at all.

I think it's deliberate.

Why? Well, I know it sounds crazy, but I think Scientific Atlanta (SA) is covering themselves from a lawsuit from Tivo.

I will admit I have no legal knowledge regarding patents that Tivo might hold (if they hold any), but I do have a basis for my hypothesis:

1) SA has shown they can overcome this "bug", in the multi-room version of their DVR. I'm currently beta-testing the SA 8300 HD multi-room. When I watch a show from the client box (not the DVR itself) while it is recording, and I'm not finished watching it before it's done airing, it does not kick me out to live programming.

Perhaps SA is less worried about incorporating this feature on the multi-room DVR because Tivo does not have a multi-room DVR.

2) SA has shown to be wary of lawsuits in the past. I'm thinking of one thing in particular: the "+2 hour guide bug". Do any of you remember this? Up until about a year ago, whenever you brought up the channel guide, it was always two hours ahead of the current time.

When the bug was finally fixed in a software update, I read a post on a forum (might have been this one), that the reason the guide had the "+2 hour" business in the first place was a legal issue. Apparently after that had been cleared up, they could make the guide function as it does today.

What do you think, folks? Any of that hold water?
post #478 of 1154 Old 12-15-2004, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
DJ_V,

I think your point holds an awful lot of water. And it is not just an SA concern. If they infringed on someone else's intellectual property, their customers (the cable systems) could be liable as well!

Dave Hancock
post #479 of 1154 Old 12-15-2004, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by davehancock
DJ_V,

I think your point holds an awful lot of water. And it is not just an SA concern. If they infringed on someone else's intellectual property, their customers (the cable systems) could be liable as well!

Actually, Gemstar (TV Guide) has brought extensive patent infringement litigation against SA and Pioneer claiming that program guide software used in their STBs ran afoul of Gemstar's interactive program guide patents. Undoubtedly, Tivo has numerous patents protecting its technology.

Forsan et haec olim meminisse juvabit. -- Popeye

Passport 2.6.002
Samsung 500 GB SATA2 HD501LJ
Apricorn EZ-BUS-DTS-EKIT
post #480 of 1154 Old 12-15-2004, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Free, I understand your points, but I don't understand why you call the 8300 a POS and are so mad at S-A when it could very well be (and most probably is) the data supplied by Gemstar/TV Guide. I'd be willing to bet that Replay TV and Tivo don't have to rely on third parties for their data, they control all aspects of their product unlike cable/S-A/Gemstar.

As you know, software coding is pretty simple stuff (though ptobably a bit above kindergarten). If the 8300 is looking for Billionaire and the data supplied is Billionare or Rebel Billionaire, it's simply not going to record. It could be something as simple as the articel The being thereone week and not the next. The fact that the timeslot is highlighted, even when a recording is not going to happen, is a bug that needs to be fixed.

One thing that appears to be happening too is the timeslot changing. One week a program will be 700-800 and the next week it will be 659-759 or 701-801. These kinds of things will cause any number of problems.

I just checked for next week's episode. The IPG simply says "Billionaire" while the scheduler says "The Rebel Billionaire:". It's highlighted in the IPG, but I'll have to wait to see if it records or not. I assume it will record next week atleast simply because I set it up using that data. It appears that what we might be seeing in the scheduler is part of the episode title and not the abbreviated program title that we see in the IPG. If you look at TitanTV, it shows "Rebel Billioniare:..." while Excite shows "The Rebel Billionaire:...", but I assume that is simply the way TitanTV coded around articles like The, An, A, etc.

The big probem is we simply don't know if it's the hardware, software, or data. My money is on the data since that is the only thing that really changes from day to day. I'd be curious to know what other programs are being skipped, especially since I haven't missed a recording yet and I am scheduled to record at least one episode of something almost every night and oftentimes have multiples recordings going.

Oh, and I'm not trying to downplay your problems or concerns. My experience with the 8300 has been good, inspite of the limited recording options. As long as it records what I schedule, I can work around not being able to schedule based upon actor's names, directors, etc.

On another subject while I have your attention. When you are scheduling something on Tivo, how far out does the data go? 2 Weeks? 3 Weeks? What? Could I set up a recording for program X if it's not yet in the database? For example, 24 will be starting sometime in January. Can I already set it up to record 24 when it starts? Every once in a while I see an ad for a show that I'd like to catch. Now, I go to TitnaTV and set it up as a Favorite and request an email notice whenever it shows up. I assuem Tivo works somewhat the same way, yes?

Cheers, Dave
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page