SA 8300 HD with DVI & DVR - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1154 Old 06-10-2005, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks a lot Dave, for that detailed response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1154 Old 06-11-2005, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've noticed over the past couple of days that when I first turn on my 8300 it's been going to channel 3. It always use to start wherever I left it unless the cable company had a message it wanted everyone to see.

I don't have a problem with that, but that channel usually has local news. Twice I've tried to rewind to catch something I missed and it won't work. It seems that I have to change channels or at least activate pip to get it to start recording.

This may be a local issue, but I don't understand why it wouldn't be recording the channel it is on.

MY NAME IS NOT BILL (but you can call me hook)

post #723 of 1154 Old 06-12-2005, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Cant you choose which channel to "wake" to?

My sa8300hd does!

Anyhow

Martin
post #724 of 1154 Old 06-13-2005, 07:13 PM

Quote:

A) S-Video & composite outputs are used for the "Copy to VCR" function. So, when you use that function the "regular" programming is interrupted. Otherwise, these outputs have same material as component/HDMI/RF.

Sorry if I don't do this right since this is my very first post. What does it mean that the regular programming is interrupted? The reason I'm asking is that I'm planning to hook up my 8300HD to (1) my AE700 (either via HDMI or component) for HD & (2) my crt SDTV to either s-video or rf, depending on the answer. Also, I've read elsewhere complaints about running the component HD connections from the 8300HD through an AV receiver (the suggestion is that the signal is weak and needs amplification if not hooked up directly to a display). Anyone else doing this with or without problems? The answer to that may help me choose between HDMI or component for the AE700. I'd prefer component to avoid the costs & audio problems I might face with the 8300 and a long cable run to the Panny, but in order to use component I'd need to use the video switching from my AV receiver since my best output from my DVD player is component and the Panny only has 1 component input and 1 HDMI input. Thanks.
post #725 of 1154 Old 06-14-2005, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
avkarma,

I thought that the statement you quoted was clear by itself - but I'll expand a bit:

The composite, S-VHS and RF outputs will normally have the same program on that you are watching on the component and/or HDMI outputs. The 8300HD does have a "Copy to VCR" function, where you can select any recorded program and save it on a VCR or DVD through the composite or S-VHS output. So, when you select this function these two outputs will now have the recording being saved.

RE: Going through the AE700 AV Receiver - I am not familiar with that particular receiver, but, in general, concerns are generally about bandwidth in the receiver, not signal level. I'll leave more specific comments to others who have specific knowledge of your receiver.

Dave Hancock
post #726 of 1154 Old 06-14-2005, 10:42 AM

Thanks Dave. I'm in the middle of construction and I'm trying to configure my setup along the way. I inferred from your original post that the output ports do not normally output simultaneously and that I'd need to utilize the record to VCR function in order to use the 2d display (i.e., my non-HD CRT). I now infer from your last post that the output ports DO normally output the same signal simultaneously and, if that's correct, I don't need to utilize the record to VCR function. BTW, my AV receiver is a JVC9010VBK. The AE700 is the FP (HD-HDCP). If anyone has further insight, including as to the AV switching issue, I'd appreciate it. Also, can someone clarify for me whether the audio outputs on the 8300HD work simultaneously and that the digitial audio output can handle audio signals from analog channels? I've seen conflicting posts and reports on this. Thanks again.
post #727 of 1154 Old 06-15-2005, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill View Post

I've noticed over the past couple of days that when I first turn on my 8300 it's been going to channel 3. It always use to start wherever I left it unless the cable company had a message it wanted everyone to see.

I don't have a problem with that, but that channel usually has local news. Twice I've tried to rewind to catch something I missed and it won't work. It seems that I have to change channels or at least activate pip to get it to start recording.

This may be a local issue, but I don't understand why it wouldn't be recording the channel it is on.

You can set the Power on channel in the setup menu. However, if you are watching a recorded program and you turn the cable box off it will revert back to channel 3 because you were not watching a specific channel when you turned it off.
post #728 of 1154 Old 06-15-2005, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post

You can set the Power on channel in the setup menu. However, if you are watching a recorded program and you turn the cable box off it will revert back to channel 3 because you were not watching a specific channel when you turned it off.

I think you guys are missing the point. I don't care what channel comes on, it's just that when it does come on it doesn't start recording until I change a channel.

That I just don't understand. It's suppose to be recording from the time you turn it on and it doesn't.

post #729 of 1154 Old 06-28-2005, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Cablevision pushed out SARA 1.88.6.2 last night. You should all call you cable companies and demand this update. It fixes the kick out to live bug, adds a 4th FF and REW speed of 128x, and adds a start from beginning option for recordings in progress. It's also supposed to replace the auto off feature with a hard drive spin down.
post #730 of 1154 Old 06-28-2005, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post

Is that a different firmware version or different software altogether? Mine does not revert back to channel 3. It stays in recroded program (DVR channel) and I can hit play to continue watch the recorded program.
post #731 of 1154 Old 06-28-2005, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post

Cablevision pushed out SARA 1.88.6.2 last night. You should all call you cable companies and demand this update. It fixes the kick out to live bug, adds a 4th FF and REW speed of 128x, and adds a start from beginning option for recordings in progress. It's also supposed to replace the auto off feature with a hard drive spin down.

Hmmm, I thought so...this morning when I powered up I saw a message relating to my external hard drive (which made me nervous ). The external was fine and all of the content was still there so then I figured they must have upgraded the firmware and forced a restart.

The new features are a welcome addition (although 128x, wow, i thought the previous max was fast!). The hard drive spinning down instead of the box shutting down seems like a compromise, but may have some funky side effects; will have to see how it works in practice. Will you have to shutdown and restart to get it to start buffering the live program or simply change channels?

Sheesh, why are they so concerned with the hard drive spinning and continually recording, my computers do it all the time
post #732 of 1154 Old 06-28-2005, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 222
There is limited life span for hard drives. Unless you use a hard driver designed for servers, you will see hard drive failure in 3~5 years. Shuting down hard drive can extend its life span. I have doubts on the new spin down feature as well. Spin down hard drive means the box no longer can buffer the channels currently tuned to. It's just as good as shut the box down. Also, it takes a few seconds to spin up the drive for new recordings once it is spined down.

I keep a good habit of turning off the STB when not watching. Hopefully, this will last the hard drive longer.
post #733 of 1154 Old 06-28-2005, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It may not be compatible to Adelphia's system so "demanding" it will not work.

post #734 of 1154 Old 06-28-2005, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It may not be compatible to Adelphia's system so "demanding" it will not work.

If that's the case then to bad for you that Cablevision wasn't the winner in the bid for Adelphia.
post #735 of 1154 Old 06-28-2005, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If that's the case then to bad for you that Cablevision wasn't the winner in the bid for Adelphia.

Really, it's just not that simple. Even in Cablevisions system not everybody everywhere runs the same SARA. Remember, most of these companies bought cable systems that belonged to other companies. So they all have different equipment and capabilities. There may be an Adelphia company that is running a higher version of SARA then what you currently have.

post #736 of 1154 Old 06-28-2005, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Even in Cablevisions system not everybody everywhere runs the same SARA.

What's your source for that? We are 3,000,000 subscribers all in the same geographical location, all have access to the SA8300, and people from various systems are all confirming on our Yahoo forum that they got the DVR update this morning including Cablevision's EVP in charge of engineering. You must know more about CV then he does.
post #737 of 1154 Old 06-28-2005, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

RemyM,

What Yahoo group are you talking about? I've been active in both the Explorer_8000 and Explorer_8300 groups and there has been no report there about this version (let alone any Quote from Cablevision's EVP). I'd just like to know if I am missing a forum.

What Hookbill is pointing out is that there are a lot of system compatability issues that an individual cable system has to (or should) resolve before rolling out a new version of SARA. As most existing individual cable systems were built by different companies (some "mom & pop") at different times it is nearly impossible for an national company, like Cablevision, to roll out a brand new (never been seen before) version in all of their systems at one time.

Dave Hancock
post #738 of 1154 Old 06-28-2005, 01:42 PM

They've been testing it for some time now, and yes, it was pushed out to all Cablevision DVRs. The group you're looking for is cablevision_digital.
post #739 of 1154 Old 06-28-2005, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

RemyM,

What Yahoo group are you talking about? I've been active in both the Explorer_8000 and Explorer_8300 groups and there has been no report there about this version (let alone any Quote from Cablevision's EVP). I'd just like to know if I am missing a forum.

What Hookbill is pointing out is that there are a lot of system compatability issues that an individual cable system has to (or should) resolve before rolling out a new version of SARA. As most existing individual cable systems were built by different companies (some "mom & pop") at different times it is nearly impossible for an national company, like Cablevision, to roll out a brand new (never been seen before) version in all of their systems at one time.

It's a Cablevision specific group http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/cablevision_digital/
Wilt Hildenbrand is the CV EVP.
Cablevision built almost all of their systems. Even ones they did not initially build have been upgraded by them. They haven't added a new system in many years. Cablevision is not national, it only serves the NYC metropolitan area.
And yes, they rolled out the new DVR SARA version on all systems this morning.
post #740 of 1154 Old 06-28-2005, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the link. From that group it looks like there are problems. (One reason for a phased roll-out).

Isn't Cablevision the wonderful company that first brought us, then took away "Zoom"? Also the company that spent millions to kill the NYC stadium?

Dave Hancock
post #741 of 1154 Old 06-28-2005, 04:20 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the link. From that group it looks like there are problems. (One reason for a phased roll-out).

Isn't Cablevision the wonderful company that first brought us, then took away "Zoom"? Also the company that spent millions to kill the NYC stadium?

More problems fixed than created for sure based on my experience so far. Not sure what to make of your last comments, but if you want to know more about the latest SA DVR bugfixes feel free to ask.
post #742 of 1154 Old 06-28-2005, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

What are the problems being reported? I'm waiting for membership to that forum...
post #743 of 1154 Old 06-28-2005, 04:33 PM

So far the only issues I'm aware of are erasing programs after "copying to VCR" and nobody seems to have successfully used the front A/V inputs.

Issues fixed include the "boot to live" issue (my biggest gripe), start recordings currently in progress from beginning (another major issue) , added 128X FF and RW, improved pause behavior (screensaver) and Hard Drive spindown instead of shutdown.
post #744 of 1154 Old 06-28-2005, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Where are you seeing that? Also, it doesn't appear to be a phased roll-out.

Some problems with the actual push for some people, but as far as the SARA update, it's great. Fixing kicked to live, 4th FF/RW and start from beginning is a quantum leap.

I saw the one bug with the copy to VCR thing, but that's relatively minor.
post #745 of 1154 Old 06-29-2005, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

You're right - it does not appear to be a phased roll-out. Besides the copy to VCR thing, there were also some reports of 8300s not working (at least that's what appeared to be going on - Yahoo forums aren't as easy to navigate as the AVS forum - unless you subscribe and get the e-mails). I was suggesting that problems are less of a surprise when there is a phased roll-out.

YES: I'd be VERY happy to put up with the copy to VCR problem (at least as I understand it) in exchange for "Kick to Live" and the 4th FF/RW. I hope our local TW system will be able to move to this soon.

Dave Hancock
post #746 of 1154 Old 06-29-2005, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

There is a better, complete version of SA code coming out this summer. This newer code has all these features plus others and addresses many other problems, especially those seen during forced installation. It is also much more compatible with the many different cable systems and will have far less problems during installation. Many of the top Cable co's will wait until the final released version is available before making a drastic jump to modifiy existing code to get the features out.
The version released recently was a modified version of DVR 1.4 code that most of us already have. The newer version will be DVR 1.5 based on a new build that incorporates these features into the OS level, instead of using precious memory as additional resources (means lowered pq on 8000HD, and minor differences in 8300HD) and is backward compatible with all SA DVR's.
DVR 1.5 should also have full 1394 support and completed HDCP implementation. Those systems getting the latest DVR 1.4 codeset, will probably be the last to get the newest DVR 1.5, and vice-versa, due to rollout schedules within companies (i.e. usually 3-6 months between updates).

vegggas

Helpful Links
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #747 of 1154 Old 06-29-2005, 04:32 PM

Interesting, thanks for that. I'm just happy to have the main bugs fixed for now, whatever else they have in the works doesn't bother me too much if I have to wait 3-6 months. Cablevision's deployment of this patch didn't seem too drastic to me and others who are enjoying the improved functionality.
post #748 of 1154 Old 06-29-2005, 05:37 PM

sorry, i was trying to search, accidently put it in the quick reply box. Continue your normal conversation.
post #749 of 1154 Old 06-30-2005, 12:13 PM

ITGuy72,

The 'recording start from the beginning bug'... is that when you have been watching the same channel your about to record, and it's starts recording from way back, and not the time you actually chose?

i've noticed that when i choose to start recording in 5 minutes (by hitting record and change the start time), when it finally starts recording it, it starts it from way in the past (where it was when you first switched to that channel)
post #750 of 1154 Old 06-30-2005, 12:20 PM

No, I was referring to watching a currently in progress recording from the beginning. Before there was no 'start from beginning' option and you had to rewind back to the start. Then when the end time comes around the DVR would dump you out to live TV and you'd have to find your place over again. This issue has been fixed.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page