AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEIFan View Post

Should've made the SARA distinction.

Any other TV's that you of Dave that allow 5.1 out of optical when HDMI is connected?

I suspect that the Sony sets with the new chassis design (one that accepts 24fps) will be the same. Don't know about others.

BTW: Even though my set accepts 5.1 on HDMI, the optical out from the TV only puts out 2.0 from that HDMI input.

Dave Hancock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1154 Old 03-27-2008, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

When you set it to HDMI the TV controls what is sent. At least with SARA software, when you set it to HDMI it will still send sound out on the optical. Many TV's dictate that the sound then be2.0 (because that is all they can handle), but some (such as my Sony A3000) will permit 5.1.

So the correct answer is "it depends".

Dave,
Thanks for the explanation. At least now I know that it's nothing that I am doing wrong. BTW, my TV set is Mits WD-65833.
post #1143 of 1154 Old 03-27-2008, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

When you set it to HDMI the TV controls what is sent. At least with SARA software, when you set it to HDMI it will still send sound out on the optical. Many TV's dictate that the sound then be2.0 (because that is all they can handle), but some (such as my Sony A3000) will permit 5.1.

So the correct answer is "it depends".

Philosophically, the TVs aren't "dictating" what gets sent; their role in the decision is passive. The HDMI sources obtains the downstream device's (in this case, your television's) E-EDID block, a chunk of data describing all of the device's video and audio capabilities. If the device says that it can only reproduce 2.0 or 2.1 sound, the source has to downmix 5.1 into that--it's a violation of HDMI protocol for it to send audio or video in a format that the sink cannot reproduce. That's been a problem for people who want to directly connect HDMI to their televisions, since most HDMI sources have the ability to mix only one digital sound stream, so if they mix 2.0 or 2.1 sound for an HDMI connection, that's what they have to put out on their coax or optical S/PDIF connections as well.

The IPGs for the SA DVRs (SARA and Passport at least) were modified to add an option to not output sound on HDMI at all so that they can output 5.1 on their S/PDIF connections. So, if you want to connect HDMI directly to your television and you want 5.1 sound over coax or optical S/PDIF, find and modify that setting on the DVR and connect the S/PDIF cable from it to your AVR. The only "problem" with this is that you won't be able to listen to the DVR through your television's speakers, but if you need that option, you can probably run an analog sound cable from the DVR to the television.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1144 of 1154 Old 04-10-2008, 05:16 PM

What is the best setting Auto DVI/DVR, Fixed or Upconvert ? I own a Sony KDSA553000
post #1145 of 1154 Old 04-10-2008, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Slayer View Post

What is the best setting Auto DVI/DVR, Fixed or Upconvert ? I own a Sony KDSA553000

Auto HDMI/DVI

Dave Hancock
post #1146 of 1154 Old 04-10-2008, 05:56 PM

Quick question for you all.

Recently swapped out a non-working box for an Explorer 8300 HDC (Time Warner Cable in Cincinnati).

Everything works fine, but I cannot get my status bar to appear during playback. Instead, when I play, rewind, or FF, the info bar pops up at the bottom as if I pushed the INFO button. I've tried everything short of rebooting and nothing seems to give me back my status bar.

(I apologize for making a new thread about this. I didn't take the time to look around at how this place works.)
post #1147 of 1154 Old 04-14-2008, 01:12 PM

I am having a problem with PIP function and am unsure if this is the 8300HD or my TV's fault (Samsung HL-T5087SAX). I have TWC in KC and the software I believe is Mystro. When I am watching a program and go to the program guide, when I exit out of the program guide the picture of the program remains a small PIP box in the upper right with the rest of the screen being black. This will occur even if I don't change channels while viewing the program guide. It also is occuring when I change channels with the channel up and down keys. We had a prolonged service outage (widespread last week affecting the TWC boxes) and after coming back on line this behavior is occuring. I find that in order to get a full screen picture I have to turn on the PIP function which puts my program back up full screen and gives me a PIP of another channel. I then turn PIP off to clear the screen of the PIP box. This is very tedious. I have had the boxes for two months or so and except for a very brief occurance of this behavior earlier last month that self corrected by the next day without my intervention I have not had any other issues.

Could this be the box or do I need to be looking at my TV (4 months old)? Anyone else have this issue occur? After the outage all three of my 8300HD's rebooted and the behavior does not occur on the other two boxes.

Thanks,
Bob
post #1148 of 1154 Old 04-16-2008, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberk62 View Post

I have a somewhat related problem/question. When I set my Audio Out to Dolby Digital, I do get 5.1, but the TV speakers stop working. Whenever I am not using my receiver for audio, I have to switch Audio Out back to HDMI. Is this a normal behavior?

I ran into this, too.

I have 2 Activities in my Harmony remote. One is "TV Only" and the other "TV with Stereo". For the TV only, I use component video and analog audio, for use with the receiver I use HDMI and the optical out. I figured that was easier than telling the family they have to change the HDMI audio options each time! Since I only watch it with the receiver on, I get what I want.
post #1149 of 1154 Old 04-16-2008, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I have one question for the experts here.

I recently switched over to HDMI and have occasional (I believe) HDCP problems with my KDS-50A2020 SXRD. Basically, sometimes the image turns to static and I have to cycle inputs to restore the picture.

Now, do you think I will eliminate HDCP problems (or make them worse?) by plugging the 8300HD to my HDMI switch to my Onkyo 605 to my TV? The 8300HD is plugged via HDMI directly to TV right now and the optical out goes to the receiver. By daisy-chaining I can eliminate the optical and use that for something else.

Basically my question is would it be possible the Onkyo might have a "more compatible" HDCP connection than my TV?
post #1150 of 1154 Old 04-16-2008, 07:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 View Post

I have one question for the experts here.

I recently switched over to HDMI and have occasional (I believe) HDCP problems with my KDS-50A2020 SXRD. Basically, sometimes the image turns to static and I have to cycle inputs to restore the picture.

Now, do you think I will eliminate HDCP problems (or make them worse?) by plugging the 8300HD to my HDMI switch to my Onkyo 605 to my TV? The 8300HD is plugged via HDMI directly to TV right now and the optical out goes to the receiver. By daisy-chaining I can eliminate the optical and use that for something else.

Basically my question is would it be possible the Onkyo might have a "more compatible" HDCP connection than my TV?

I think that you might as well try it. I have a television, an Onkyo receiver, an HDMI switch and four audio/video sources, from seven different manufacturers connected via HDMI, with no extra audio cabling. This set-up has been working without a hitch for over a year, so I'm a big fan of HDMI-only . (I do not have an SA8300HD in that configuration, though there is one elsewhere in the house).

Since there've been many reports of HDMI problems with the SA8300HD, I don't have the highest hopes that this will solve your problem, but its possible that its HDMI implementation is more compatible with your HDMI switch than with your television. You'll also be running it in the audio mode where it sends digital sound through HDMI, which will change things up somewhat.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1151 of 1154 Old 04-18-2008, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

It actually does work better connected to the switch and receiver. I've only had one HDCP issue since, and it was immediate. With the 8300 connected to the TV the connection could break at any time.

I'm going to build an input swap into the last 2 steps of the activity initialization in my harmony remote setup...that way the last step, after a short delay, will be the TV coming online and doing the handshake after everything else.
post #1152 of 1154 Old 02-16-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Philosophically, the TVs aren't "dictating" what gets sent; their role in the decision is passive. The HDMI sources obtains the downstream device's (in this case, your television's) block, a chunk of data describing all of the device's video and audio capabilities. If the device says that it can only reproduce 2.0 or 2.1 sound, the source has to downmix 5.1 into that--it's a violation of HDMI protocol for it to send audio or video in a format that the sink cannot reproduce. That's been a problem for people who want to directly connect HDMI to their televisions, since most HDMI sources have the ability to mix only one digital sound stream, so if they mix 2.0 or 2.1 sound for an HDMI connection, that's what they have to put out on their coax or optical S/PDIF connections as well.

The IPGs for the SA DVRs (SARA and Passport at least) were modified to add an option to not output sound on HDMI at all so that they can output 5.1 on their S/PDIF connections. So, if you want to connect HDMI directly to your television and you want 5.1 sound over coax or optical S/PDIF, find and modify that setting on the DVR and connect the S/PDIF cable from it to your AVR. The only "problem" with this is that you won't be able to listen to the DVR through your television's speakers, but if you need that option, you can probably run an analog sound cable from the DVR to the television.

I have set the audio to output "dolby digital" instead of "HDMI". This works perfectly since i don't care if i have audio from my TV speakers. However every time i turn my tv on on the DVR box resets itself to use "HDMI". Has anyone run into this problem and been able to fix it??
post #1153 of 1154 Old 11-24-2009, 08:36 AM

Just got Time Warner installed last weekend and finally getting my whole system setup including a 4x2 component matrix switch. The problem with the 8300HDC is that the analog audio outputs are not working. I have tried everything I can think of, swapping out cables, hooking up to different TV's, changing the DVR menu settings, but nothing will enable the analog (OUT 1) audio outputs. I even tried OUT2, but no go. Just to clarify, I am using the component video outputs and L-R analog outputs from OUT 1.

I have tried all three menu settings for Audio Digital: HDMI, Dolby Digital, and Other. None of them work. The CSR I talked to on the phone was worthless.

I have even taken the matrix switch out of the picture and hookup up my Vizio LCD directly to the DVR using component and L-R audio. Nothing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
post #1154 of 1154 Old 01-14-2011, 05:15 AM

Good Day:

I recently purchased a 8300HDDVR Cable box (used) on eBay.com. After purchasing I was informed by cable company that I would need the Mac ID and IP Address for the box for them to program it.

The seller is unable to provide those detail. Is there any way I can explore the cable box setting to ascertain these information, please.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page