MPEG2Repair: New Tool for Error Detection (also improves 169time compatibility) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 426 Old 10-31-2004, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:

Originally posted by Johnny Begood
Mark,

Thanks for the minimize button

Another little bug I've found is when you're processing a file which is on a bad DVD (a dirty DVD for example or scratched or with some burning errors) MPEG2Repair crashes and sometimes crashes the whole PC.

J.

An application like mpeg2repair which runs in user-space, can't really crash an operating system. It would require something like a device driver failure to take down your whole OS. Most likely the DVD-ROM drivers can't handle reading the corrupted disc. Nothing I can do to help. I suggest copying the disc to hard-drive first or making a backup on another machine.

Quote:

Originally posted by robena
Thanks Mark.

I have some AVX1 DirectTV HBO recordings that normally don't run on my Samsung 165, with constant image tear.

Once repaired with the previous version, they seem to do at first, but after a while, the 165 starts to stutter. Hitting Stop/Play makes it work again, but it does not last.

Any idea if this can be corrected? Would you need a sample?

That sounds like a muxing problem where it's overflowing the video and/or audio buffers. You would need to remux the file to rebuilt a correct constant-bitrate transport stream. Since I don't plan to add muxing support to mpeg2repair, you will need to find another program to do it.

Search the forums - people have found various ways to multiplex HDTV files.

-Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 426 Old 11-02-2004, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just curious if anyone else watched/captured 'Terminator' last night on HDNET-Movies. I noticed a couple glitches watching the live feed on my Dish 6000 receiver and sure enough also found them on my recording.

Since these errors were present in the original satellite transmission, I'm wondering if they originated at HDNet, Dish, or just my location. If you recorded this showing last night, can you run it through my tool and report the time positions of any errors? Please include your provider.

Thanks.

-Mark
post #93 of 426 Old 11-02-2004, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Wizziwig
Just curious if anyone else watched/captured 'Terminator' last night on HDNET-Movies. I noticed a couple glitches watching the live feed on my Dish 6000 receiver and sure enough also found them on my recording.

Since these errors were present in the original satellite transmission, I'm wondering if they originated at HDNet, Dish, or just my location. If you recorded this showing last night, can you run it through my tool and report the time positions of any errors? Please include your provider.

Thanks.

-Mark

I emailed you my repair log of "The Terminator" captured to PC from a Dish 6000 on 11-01-04 at 2:40 AM.

Murray Kerdman
post #94 of 426 Old 11-02-2004, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did not watch or record "Terminator," but I have seen live and recorded glitches from just about every film shown on the HDNet Movie channel on E*. Last night, I saw a live glitch on "The Manchurian Candidate" for example.

I believe that the problem lies in the satellite signal, because other channels don't glitch like HDNet Movies, but how much effort will it take to prove to E* that it is sending a faulty signal or get E* to take action to correct it? For all I know, the source of the problem could be the HDNet Movie feed itself. Maybe Mark Cuban would take some action to figure this out if he got involved.

Steve
post #95 of 426 Old 11-02-2004, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I compared Murray's log to mine and found that the errors occur at the exact same places. So it's definitely not a local reception issue. It's a problem with the original transmission - either at HDNet or Dish.

I have attached a copy of my log. Perhaps a fellow member to can compare it to his recording from cable, c-band, etc. to see if they have any glitches at those locations. You may need to do this visually if mpeg2repair doesn't find any errors or you can't transfer the file back to a PC. If people not using Dish don't get these errors, then we know who to blame.

Thanks.

P.S. This is from the second showing at 12:45 AM Pacific Time. I can also get you a log from the earlier 9 PM showing.

t_log.txt 4.94140625k . file
post #96 of 426 Old 11-02-2004, 02:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Indeed, I take back my earlier claim about error-prone AVX-1 software being the cause of errors reported by MPEG2Repair. My apologies to Richard et al.

Ok, let's continue using Terminator as a study reference. I missed the 1st chance to record it, but will record the next showing. We can compare the next repair log with those already captured to see if the errors are coming from the original source or during transmission. Lately I've been seeing shorter repair logs via cable captures than Dish on most channels. It looks like there are some real problems with Dish's uplinks.

-Dylan

I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!
post #97 of 426 Old 11-02-2004, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dahester
Indeed, I take back my earlier claim about error-prone AVX-1 software being the cause of errors reported by MPEG2Repair. My apologies to Richard et al.

Ok, let's continue using Terminator as a study reference. I missed the 1st chance to record it, but will record the next showing. We can compare the next repair log with those already captured to see if the errors are coming from the original source or during transmission. Lately I've been seeing shorter repair logs via cable captures than Dish on most channels. It looks like there are some real problems with Dish's uplinks.

-Dylan
I should note that I edited my error log to remove a handful of errors that were not in Murray's capture. These extra errors were minor and 169time specific. Since we're trying to isolate the cause of transmission errors (not recording errors), I didn't think they were relevant to this discussion.

I have attached the original log if you want to compare it to my previous post (which matched Murray's R5000 results). The R5000 didn't seem to introduce any errors that were not in the original signal.

-Mark

log_e.txt 8.388671875k . file
post #98 of 426 Old 11-07-2004, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Version 1.0.0.6 now available. Minor changes to add a couple user requested features. See first post for links and details.

-Mark
post #99 of 426 Old 11-12-2004, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I posted version 1.0.0.7 yesterday. I suggest everyone grab this update because it fixes some potential crash issues.

-Mark
post #100 of 426 Old 11-13-2004, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

First time to run it and obtain "Failed to find audio PID for selected program/audio tracks. Repaired file will not contain audio." Yet others apps see it fine, see audio PID, and audio runs. running 0.7.

Boat name: Summer Compromise; Power train: twin 490 HP (w ATI Prochargers); A/V: sufficient
post #101 of 426 Old 11-13-2004, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Isn't there some kind of Windows emulator for Linux? (Wine?). There should be something similar for Mac. This tool uses pretty basic Windows functions so it should run okay on an emulator.

Yuck. I hope you re-reconsider this in the future.
post #102 of 426 Old 11-13-2004, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Compromise
First time to run it and obtain "Failed to find audio PID for selected program/audio tracks. Repaired file will not contain audio." Yet others apps see it fine, see audio PID, and audio runs. running 0.7.

What PID and audio format did the other apps detect? How many programs and audio tracks are in the file? (check the drop-down lists after letting it scan for PID's). Might be some bug I introduced in the last version since I changed around some of the audio detection code to add more mpeg1 formats. If you have a broadband connection, I would appreciate seeing a small sample (cut < 5MB with HDTV2Mpeg2) via email to mpeg2repair@adelphia.net

-Mark
post #103 of 426 Old 11-13-2004, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Wizziwig
See PMs.

Boat name: Summer Compromise; Power train: twin 490 HP (w ATI Prochargers); A/V: sufficient
post #104 of 426 Old 11-14-2004, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wizziwig
See PMs.

Got it... thanks. For anyone else interested, this file has AC3 audio with a stream type of 0x6. This is normally used for private data but it looks like a few sources are using it to pass AC3 audio. I made a small change in a previous version to deal with this issue for ProjectX files but I'll extend it to cover other sources in the next release.

The audio is also in a PES with a packet length of 0. This is technically wrong for audio and only allowed for PES streams with video. I'm not sure if any of the players/decoders actually care about this sort of thing...

-Mark
post #105 of 426 Old 11-14-2004, 04:25 AM
Advanced Member

Basically I gave Wizziwig a .m2t file generated by VirtualDVHS from an AVX1. Also, I gave him a .ts file which was generated by MPEG Streamclip from the .m2t file.

post #106 of 426 Old 11-14-2004, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Basically I gave Wizziwig a .m2t file generated by VirtualDVHS from an AVX1. Also, I gave him a .ts file which was generated by MPEG Streamclip from the .m2t file.

I suggest you stick with the .m2t files for now. They are regular transport streams just like ts,tp,trp files and will work with most software designed for U.S. HDTV (including mpeg2repair). There is no need to run them through any additional conversions.

I don't know what Streamclip is but it seems to generate files which are less compatible. In any event, I already fixed the issue and both of your files (TS and M2T) will work fine in the next release.

-Mark
post #107 of 426 Old 11-18-2004, 05:59 PM

can this program be updated to work with regular mpg streams? I need a program that can repair my mpg files from my HDTV wonder. I'll donate for this functionality
post #108 of 426 Old 11-19-2004, 02:38 AM

Quote:

...to work with regular mpg streams?

Or maybe even accept mpg as input fix the errors and save it as atsc ts?
post #109 of 426 Old 11-19-2004, 08:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by AllTimeSToneD
Or maybe even accept mpg as input fix the errors and save it as atsc ts?

That's asking a lot. Making an ATSC TS from .mpg is no small task. My suggestion for now would be to use VLC to encapsulate your .mpg files to .ts files, then use MPEG2Repair. Afterwards, if you need an ATSC TS use TS2ATSC3.

-Dylan

post #110 of 426 Old 11-19-2004, 01:27 PM

Quote:

use VLC to encapsulate your .mpg files to .ts files

Have you tried this? Does it demux the video and audio into elementary streams first and then remux them into ts? More importantly does it keep correct PTS for the audio and video?

One more question, what commandline are you using to do this?
post #111 of 426 Old 11-20-2004, 09:34 AM

I'm having a problem trying to repair a small .ts clip captured thru the firewire. The clip shows PID's:
video=0x840
audio=0x841

There is only a few errors to begin with and it plays fine, just wanted to see what happens when I run it thru mpeg2repair.

Unfortunately, the audio seems to be missing or something after the repair...it shows the PID's as:
video=0x11
audio=0x14

the video is still there, just no audio. Using WinDVD 5 for viewing. Captured from cable, di$covery channel.

Seems my cable outputs 0x840, 0x800, 0x41, et al....depending on the channel it's on. Do you guys have any idea what I can do so mpeg2repair keeps the audio? I would like to run a few of my captures thru so I know any errors will be masked...I will try it on some samples of the other clips using the different PID locations when I get some time this weekend....

thanks to all. This forum has helped me build my own htpc, a DIY screen (actually 3 now), and install a projector. I have lurked MANY hours on this forum over the last year or so..again thanks to you all.

--ok, should have done more research. Seems the files all have audio when played with media player classic. None of the files have audio in WinDVD. Since WinDVD is the only player I have that can play these smoothly, is there any way to tell mpeg2repair to leave the PID's where they are? Thinking it would be easier to do this than to get Intervideo to even respond.

Know what I say when I say you know what I mean?
post #112 of 426 Old 11-20-2004, 09:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by emp3r0r
Have you tried this? Does it demux the video and audio into elementary streams first and then remux them into ts? More importantly does it keep correct PTS for the audio and video?

One more question, what commandline are you using to do this?

Yes, I've used VLC 0.80 to MUX my own streams. I'm not sure what VLC is doing internally, but I think the .mpg is demuxed and remuxed when the TS is made. I have no idea how well it handles funny streams that have variable GOP size and field repeat flags (a la HBO and Starz). But generally I have found it to be a very good TS muxer for DVD VOB files and mpegs created by TMPGenc. You'll have to do a search in this forum to find the command line. I just use the GUI.

-Dylan

post #113 of 426 Old 11-20-2004, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by spaceghost
Do you guys have any idea what I can do so mpeg2repair keeps the audio?

Use the latest HDTVtoMPEG2 beta to remap the pids to 0x11 and 0x14.

Robert
post #114 of 426 Old 11-20-2004, 03:38 PM

Thanks robena. I tried that and it didn't make a difference. I believe the mpeg2repair does this as well. Seems when I take a capture of mine and change the PIDs, windvd 5 won't play them.
I downloaded a sample .ts that was captured via a pchdtv tuner card in linux that was using the 0x11/0x14 PIDs to see if windvd 5 could play them. It ran fine.
is it me or is my cable company doing something out of the norm? I don't understand why I can't repair them anyway...the moving, or whatever it's doing of the PIDs shouldn't be causing me a problem.
I've sent in a request to intervideo....we'll see if they even respond.
Do you have any other suggestions besides not repairing them?

btw, i'm using ver 1.0.0.7 mpeg2repair.

post #115 of 426 Old 11-20-2004, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by spaceghost
Thanks robena. I tried that and it didn't make a difference. I believe the mpeg2repair does this as well. Seems when I take a capture of mine and change the PIDs, windvd 5 won't play them.
I downloaded a sample .ts that was captured via a pchdtv tuner card in linux that was using the 0x11/0x14 PIDs to see if windvd 5 could play them. It ran fine.
is it me or is my cable company doing something out of the norm? I don't understand why I can't repair them anyway...the moving, or whatever it's doing of the PIDs shouldn't be causing me a problem.
I've sent in a request to intervideo....we'll see if they even respond.
Do you have any other suggestions besides not repairing them?

btw, i'm using ver 1.0.0.7 mpeg2repair.

Hi,

Please send me a small sample of an original, unrepaired file that has this problem. Length doesn't matter too much, as long as it's 1-8 MB so it fits in my mail box. Send it to mpeg2repair@adelphia.net. I have WinDVD so I should be able to figure out what's wrong and fix it for the next version.

Thanks.

-Mark
post #116 of 426 Old 11-22-2004, 07:22 PM

just so everyone knows, Mark was graceous enough to look at my file. We concluded that windvd ver 5 was at fault. Version 6 plays the files just fine. The test sample I downloaded that worked was an ATSC capture that had additional info in the file that the cable capture did not. Guess ver 5 works better if viewing an ATSC capture.

post #117 of 426 Old 11-22-2004, 10:41 PM

WinDVD trick... Sometimes if you start playing but hear no audio... Hold the rewind button down until it rewinds back to the beginning and starts playing again. Sometimes this causes the audio to kick back in.
post #118 of 426 Old 11-24-2004, 11:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Sorry if this has been asked, any way to use this utility on dvds backed up to hard drive. Some dvds for what ever reason have glitches in them when playing from hard drive.

Thanks!
post #119 of 426 Old 11-24-2004, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Alan Gouger
Sorry if this has been asked, any way to use this utility on dvds backed up to hard drive. Some dvds for what ever reason have glitches in them when playing from hard drive.

Thanks!

Well, you could convert the .vob files to .ts files using the VLC method Dylan outlined a few posts back. But it's highly unlikely that my utility will help fix anything on a DVD source. DVD's are usually free of the sort of errors/drop-outs that this is designed to repair.

What are you trying to play them on? I'm curious if the problems are isolated to a specific player/software or if the errors show up on all players.

-Mark
post #120 of 426 Old 11-24-2004, 03:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Hi Mark

For some reason a few DVD titles are known to not back up very well and its most likely an error in the software used. Not really worth going through any great effort for me because its only a few titles.

I do appreciate your program and want to thank you. Im slowly transferring my AVX library from tape to HD.

Thanks again.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page