MPEG2Repair: New Tool for Error Detection (also improves 169time compatibility) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 426 Old 10-16-2005, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcameron View Post

This program expires every free months? Dang, I didn't know that.

Maybe he's worried about the MPAA sueing him or something.

How about that command line feature dude?

I can't get into all the reasons why I have the expiration in there on a public forum. Other people who write mpeg2 decoder/encoder related utilities probably understand the legal issues for a freeware utility like mine.

Besides the above, I also considered the dangers of a tool like this. If there were any serious bugs that got into a certain version, I wouldn't want it floating around on the internet forever. Not everyone reads this forum and they might lose some valuable/irreplaceable recordings if there were some major problem.

Having the expiration in there makes sure that people are always running the latest version. It also gives me incentive to put out a new version every few months.

Don't worry, if I ever do stop work on this program, I will release a version without expiration date.

-Mark

P.S. Sorry, no idea if/when command-line version will be released. I looked at adding that feature before but it's non-trivial with the way the tool is designed. Also no way to return result codes from a non-console Win32 app.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 426 Old 10-18-2005, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sounds good to me.

This eliminates the fear that if/when you stop work on the program it will vanish forever once the last expiration date is reached.

Thanks again for sharing such an amazingly useful tool. It is invaluable for those who transcode OTA ATSC recordings down to DVD resolution for archival purposes.
post #183 of 426 Old 10-19-2005, 08:39 PM

Its a wonderfull program, Wizzywig, and as you know, I'd be happy to pay for your labor of love if and when a final version is offered for sale. In the mean time, I encourage EVERYONE who uses this nifty utility to consider donating $5-10 toward its developement. Think to your self - what would I do without this program? Is it worth a few bucks to show my appreciation? 'nuff said
post #184 of 426 Old 10-20-2005, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks very much Wizzi for this program

Micro errors from HDNet Movies on Dish that cause the MyHD card to pixelate the entire screen can be reduced to a single flashing black pixel or 2 by correcting the errors

Again thanks, this is even useful for the R5000-HD which cannot work miracles with Dish's error filled HDNet Movies streams

-Gary
post #185 of 426 Old 10-20-2005, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have purchased VideoReDo Plus to edit commercials out of my OTA Transport Streams, and it does a mostly wonderful job of it. The only thing I haven't gotten my arms around yet is that sometimes when a capture (MDP-130) has errors in it (transmission or ?) I'm not sure that the way VRD handles them is the best way to do it, for example the video frame may freeze for a second or two.

Anyway while I've read a couple pages back about the "DMV motion protection" thing (what, something to do w/the long lines at the Department of Motor Vehicles? ) I wonder if anyone here can suggest to me in simple terms why one might want to use both tools, i.e. does MPEG2Repair have any advantages over VRD+, or uses alongside it. Or maybe the answer is simply, "no, you have no practical reason to use m2r".
post #186 of 426 Old 10-21-2005, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

I have purchased VideoReDo Plus to edit commercials out of my OTA Transport Streams, and it does a mostly wonderful job of it. The only thing I haven't gotten my arms around yet is that sometimes when a capture (MDP-130) has errors in it (transmission or ?) I'm not sure that the way VRD handles them is the best way to do it, for example the video frame may freeze for a second or two.

Anyway while I've read a couple pages back about the "DMV motion protection" thing (what, something to do w/the long lines at the Department of Motor Vehicles? ) I wonder if anyone here can suggest to me in simple terms why one might want to use both tools, i.e. does MPEG2Repair have any advantages over VRD+, or uses alongside it. Or maybe the answer is simply, "no, you have no practical reason to use m2r".

I'm not an expert on the program, but I think VRD will only be useful at repairing timestamp errors. These are caused by missing audio/video frames. It's a very nice feature and something that MP2R does not repair (although it will report in the logs). Without fixing these sorts of errors, it's very difficult to demux or convert your file to another format without introducing lip-sync problems.

I'm guessing that VRD fixes those problems by repeating frames to fill in the gaps or simply cuts out the sections with the gaps. If it repeats frames, you will end up seeing some freezes/pauses while the audio continues. If this bothers you, maybe you can ask the author to add an option that removes bad sections instead.

MPEG2Repair was designed mostly to fix errors within frames (not missing frames). So if you have a partially corrupted frame, my tool can be useful at cleaning it up slightly. Whether it's an improvement or not will depend largely on your decoder. Some are better at dealing with errors than others.

Even if you're not doing repair, my tool is a great time saver if you're recording from channels that frequently repeat their programming (like most premium movie channels). You can quickly find out whether you got a clean recording or need to try again. Without this program, you would need to watch the entire show to verify if there were any errors.

-Mark
post #187 of 426 Old 10-22-2005, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Many thanks Mark for your complete & thoughtful reply. I think you're exactly right about the lip-sync situation; VRD+ does always maintain perfect lipsync, even when there are horrible glitches in the transmission...it always somehow makes it back to play well again. It does also have a couple options for "adding video" or "cutting audio" to do this--I have to play with it some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post

Even if you're not doing repair...You can quickly find out whether you got a clean recording or need to try again. Without this program, you would need to watch the entire show to verify if there were any errors.

Hmm, I'm glad I asked--I would not have thought to use your program to only look at the log file for errors.

Thanks again!
post #188 of 426 Old 11-12-2005, 05:50 AM

Liked: 11
I capture HDV video from my Sony HDR-HC1 with capdvhs and I can write the video back to another tape without problems. If I run the file through mpeg2repair I cannot write the file to tape. The Sony just shows a blue screen. I have tried other capture and recording programs but none of them will write a repaired file. I also have tried various settings in the ini file and the problem persists.
post #189 of 426 Old 11-12-2005, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorjharris View Post

I capture HDV video from my Sony HDR-HC1 with capdvhs and I can write the video back to another tape without problems. If I run the file through mpeg2repair I cannot write the file to tape. The Sony just shows a blue screen. I have tried other capture and recording programs but none of them will write a repaired file. I also have tried various settings in the ini file and the problem persists.

Why would you even bother with MPEG2Repair? Your CapDVHS captures from your
HC1 should already be error free.

To Wizziwig:
If you're still interested, I have some field based test bitstreams for you. I have
one bitstream with just field structure and another with the works (dual-prime,
16x8 and progressive refresh).

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net
post #190 of 426 Old 11-12-2005, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorjharris View Post

As Ron/dr1394 said - it probably isn't needed - but if I had to speculate, mpeg2repair is taking out the filler bytes that the HC-1 most likely needs. Trying editting the .ini to have it not nullstrip.
post #191 of 426 Old 11-17-2005, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1394 View Post

Why would you even bother with MPEG2Repair? Your CapDVHS captures from your
HC1 should already be error free.

To Wizziwig:
If you're still interested, I have some field based test bitstreams for you. I have
one bitstream with just field structure and another with the works (dual-prime,
16x8 and progressive refresh).

Ron

Sorry I haven't checked this thread in a few days...

My guess is that the HC1 requires some additional data to be present in the transport file. My program will normally strip out (or replace with null packets) everything but the 4 required PID's (PAT, PMT, Video, and Audio) necessary to play on most players. The HC1 may also be expecting data on fixed PID assignments and ignoring the PAT/PMT. I'll try to add some options on next version to control the PID assignment and filtering.

Does the HC1 play any unrepaired transport files obtained from other sources? Like OTA captures from MyHD or other HDTV recorders.

To Ron:

Thanks for the offer for the test patterns. I'm too busy with work at the moment but if you have them available for download, please send me a link via PM and I'll grab them for later.

-Mark
post #192 of 426 Old 01-24-2006, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone managed to run mpeg2repair using windows emulation under Linxu (wine)? Whenever I've tried, I get a Microsoft Visual C++ error, " This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it n an unusual way..."

My cable provider is Netflix
post #193 of 426 Old 02-11-2006, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

New version released today. See first post for details.

-Mark
post #194 of 426 Old 02-11-2006, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Thanks Mark, this tool is really a must have.

Robert
post #195 of 426 Old 02-11-2006, 10:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks Mark, I will probably send over a paypal donation soon as this tool is a godsend to check my captures before archiving and for checking D-VHS to PC transfers
it also totally corrects the tiny micro glitches in the HDNet Movies captures that choke the MYHD card, a single flashing black square is better than a entire screen pixelization

I could not do without it, Thanks Again

-Gary
post #196 of 426 Old 02-15-2006, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Version 1.0.1.3 is available.

Fixed minor bug causing false timestamp gaps to be reported for TMN on BEV. Thanks HDTVFanAtic for reporting the bug.
post #197 of 426 Old 02-15-2006, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

I can't seem to get the idle priority feature to work. And when forced into idle priority, it'll revert to normal priority when I use the open file dialog. So I have to load the file, manually set the process to idle priority, then click start. Any ideas?
post #198 of 426 Old 02-15-2006, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linecircle View Post

I can't seem to get the idle priority feature to work. And when forced into idle priority, it'll revert to normal priority when I use the open file dialog. So I have to load the file, manually set the process to idle priority, then click start. Any ideas?

Haven't noticed that before. What program are you using to check priority? Keep in mind that there is a process priority and thread priority. I only set the thread priority (process remains at normal). A thread at idle priority will only use idle time no matter what the process is set to. See the table at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...priorities.asp

I'll add some code to explicitly set the process priority for next version but it will not affect the behavior of the program. Even at idle, this tool still puts a heavy load on your hard-drive but there's not much I can do about that. Blame the crappy file I/O in Windows.
post #199 of 426 Old 02-15-2006, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Note for all users:

There's an issue introduced in version 12 which causes what appears like a stall before the "Find PID's" scan starts. It only happens when working with files on a slow medium like network shares or optical drives. It shouldn't last more than a minute or so. It's something I'm going to fix in the future.

-Mark
post #200 of 426 Old 02-16-2006, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Oh, you're right. Process is at normal, but the thread is at idle. I was checking with process explorer. Crap disk i/o I've learned to live with, and I sometimes have to suspend threads to manually dictate 'disk priority'.

Thanks
post #201 of 426 Old 02-16-2006, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linecircle View Post

Oh, you're right. Process is at normal, but the thread is at idle. I was checking with process explorer. Crap disk i/o I've learned to live with, and I sometimes have to suspend threads to manually dictate 'disk priority'.

Thanks

Just in case it isn't obvious, you can always pause M2R by hitting the cancel button. It will display a confirmation dialog box. As long as it's on this box, it's paused and should use no CPU time.
post #202 of 426 Old 03-17-2006, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know if this was intentional, but it's mighty handy: when a recording has zero glitches, the log file is 1 KB. (rounded up in Windows Explorer) If there are errors, the log is larger than that. That 1 KB includes the one error that MPEG2Repair always finds at the end of recordings.
post #203 of 426 Old 05-31-2006, 12:59 AM

Mark i have been using your excellent tool, for a good while now. I am in the UK and record .TS and .MPG - SD broadcast streams, from UK Digital Terestrial Television (DTT).

I have asked Dan at vrd to include your code into vrd, which i understand he has spoken to you about. I still think if you would get your code implemented into vrd. It would make you money, and make vrd even better than it is now.

The streams i record are never seen in m2r correct, it takes a few seconds to identify the PIDs. Which i stop the scan, then the PIDs are found somtimes. Well for 50% of the time, they are. Maybe this was what you meant by fixing the Europe bug in the history log. It will be nice when the Europe bug is fully fixed. If i process the same video through vrd first. M2R see the stream right away on lpressing scan. But i'm not wanting to process through vrd right away, i need to find all errors first.

I do not repair with your tool, i use it for scanning to find all problems, in the video stream. I then repair the bad bits with either a repeat showing video, or cut out. If i can cut out the bad part, without spoiling the video.

I hope this europe bug will vanish soon. Because with it i can scan only some single stream .TS files. M2R cannot see my UK muxed .TS streams where there is more than one stream in the file. Neither will it scan these streams for most of the time, only 2% or less are succesfull. Then it will scan only the first stream PID found. The drop stream selector, doesn't see the other streams.

I also have a request which will enhance your program. With the mux streams that have more than one stream in them. I need a way to extract these streams, as yet no tool can do this correctly. For the .TS videos i have. Except for vrd, but vrd wants to modify them. VRD Dan has said there is no way to stop it doing that in vrd, at all. If you could implement this into m2r to extract streams from mux .TS files unmodified, that will be of a great help to me, i'm sure to other m2r users too.

And support for SD .MPG program streams that i record with, just as much as .TS streams.

Thanks Robbi
post #204 of 426 Old 05-31-2006, 11:19 PM

By unmodified, by extracting only part of the stream, you are modifying the stream.

If you are speaking of not correcting the errors, then H2M or nullpacket stripper can easily accomplish this.

On another note, M2R does not recognize DTS streams and thus eliminates them. It would be nice to make sure those are not discarded by mistake.
post #205 of 426 Old 06-01-2006, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

By unmodified, by extracting only part of the stream, you are modifying the stream.

I meant a one complete channel stream, from say a four channel mux .TS stream. But rather would like to analyze all the streams First without extracting, all within M2R.

Quote:

If you are speaking of not correcting the errors, then H2M or nullpacket stripper can easily accomplish this.

Yes but i really do need to analyze all the streams First, for all possible errors. Which is why i use M2R, there no other tool it seems, that compares to M2R. NullPacket Stripper i have just downloaded, i will try it, even thouh it is It is java. I dislike sun java on any of my media pc's. Will look at a network sollution to a non media pc, to try this one.

Quote:

On another note, M2R does not recognize DTS streams and thus eliminates them. It would be nice to make sure those are not discarded by mistake.

I take it you mean Digital Transport Streams not a Dolby Theatre System

DTT UK SD Pal at least are seen in M2R for .TS streams, but not often is scan possible for the PIDs. Without first resorting to extract or modify the stream. Beats the whole purpose of analyzing the raw stream first. I have used H2M but this is another extra process, unknown what it adds or takes away. Just like VRD but we know that adds and takes away, which is of no use.

All these other tools that are not M2R are of no use for analyzing the captured streams. They are just giving me a hopefully temporary workaround, to use the streams in M2R. Hopefully M2R will be able soon to to all the SD .TS streams i load, and the sub streams of multi mux .TS streams. At least then i can know what errors, if any exist in the video before editing. Yes if M2R could also extract these streams unmodified, it would be a cool feature to have. One that you possibly realise is missing also.

I prefer the video as intended, which is the whole point. For me using M2R for finding and identifying, all irregularities in catured .TS and .MPEG-2 videos i record.
post #206 of 426 Old 06-01-2006, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexin View Post

The streams i record are never seen in m2r correct, it takes a few seconds to identify the PIDs. Which i stop the scan, then the PIDs are found somtimes. Well for 50% of the time, they are. Maybe this was what you meant by fixing the Europe bug in the history log. It will be nice when the Europe bug is fully fixed. If i process the same video through vrd first. M2R see the stream right away on lpressing scan. But i'm not wanting to process through vrd right away, i need to find all errors first.

Please send me some short samples of the files you're having trouble with. You can post them on yousendit.com and email me the link at the support address. I'll see what I can do to improve compatibility.

Same goes for the DTS audio. I've never seen anyone broadcast HDTV with DTS sound so I would need to check that out.

-Mark
post #207 of 426 Old 06-02-2006, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post

Please send me some short samples of the files you're having trouble with. You can post them on yousendit-com and email me the link at the support address. I'll see what I can do to improve compatibility.

Same goes for the DTS audio. I've never seen anyone broadcast HDTV with DTS sound so I would need to check that out.

-Mark

Thank you Mark I will upload files for you. I have pm some details to you. I will send email to the support address, after i upload some files.

Robbi
post #208 of 426 Old 06-03-2006, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexin View Post

Thank you Mark I will upload files for you. I have pm some details to you. I will send email to the support address, after i upload some files.

Robbi

The link you sent me via PM contains 2 files. One is an .mpeg file which is a program stream and will not be supported. The other one is a transport stream but it contains H.264 video which will also not be supported because my tool is intended only for MPEG2. If you find any valid MPEG2 transport streams that my tool will not handle, please let me know. Thanks.
post #209 of 426 Old 06-06-2006, 07:16 PM

Ok mark i will pm you another link soon, that may have what you need.

I have had a long chat with a friend recently, he showed me what i was doing wrong with M2R.

1. It turned out to be the dvb software i was recording with, was at fault. It was making incompatable M2R streams. I installed some more softwares, all using bda drivers. Recordings now are seen as they should be. But sometimes they don't see correctly.

2. What i didn't realise with M2R, was the program drop list. Is direct numbers used from the channel SIDs. Now i know this fact, i can select the correct program SID then click to Find PIDs. It then it quickly fills up the blue progress bar.

With these new softwares and information on using M2R i now have no problem. Except for one simple need, that is for splitting the mux'd stream recordings. Would this be possible if wriiten in M2R or another tool. Would it corrupt the extracted stream at all, or leave it as recorded, the latter is needed.

No uploading of files thankfully, as back on dial-up until new BB is working.
post #210 of 426 Old 06-08-2006, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good to hear you've solved your issue. If M2R ever takes more than a few seconds to find PID's, you should cancel and try a different program number. Sometimes it picks a default program that is missing in the file because of the way it was recorded (missing channels not removed from PMT/PAT tables).

As for your other question... Are you asking if M2R can demultiplex the audio and video streams into separate files? Not at this time. I doubt I will ever add that feature but I might release another tool to do it at some point. Seems like there are very few programs that do this correctly without introducing a/v sync problems. VideoRedo should work for now and maybe ProjectX.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page